Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Pathfinder Fiction announced, yay Elaine!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  01:32:48  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Elaine is writing the first book, Dave Gross is getting the second.

http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/p/paizoPublishingLLC/pathfinder/fiction

Check it out. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  01:58:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This news makes me a happy hamster indeed!

I'm especially excited to see that the first couple of books are by Realms alumni, particularly Elaine!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  02:04:21  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

This news makes me a happy hamster indeed! I'm especially excited to see that the first couple of books are by Realms alumni, particularly Elaine!

Then you'll enjoy this..

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/fiction/pathfinderFictionAnnounced&page=1#0

Paul Kemp is doing a novel AND and adventure!

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  02:12:05  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, Paizo hasn't said definitively yet, but they've hinted that subscribers will get a free pdf copy of the novels.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  02:46:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a good and welcome news, and further evidence that the Golden Age of Paizo has well and truly begun.

And I'm pleasantly surprised to see Elaine's involvement from the very beginning of PATHFINDER fiction. Let's hope this is a long and fruitful relationship Elaine!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  03:09:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  03:32:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

BTW, Paizo hasn't said definitively yet, but they've hinted that subscribers will get a free pdf copy of the novels.

More than a hint...

quote:
Each Pathfinder novel comes in mass-market paperback format, with new volumes released roughly every three months. You will be able to subscribe to the line to have each volume delivered directly to you, ensuring that you always remain on top of the latest developments in the world of Pathfinder. Subscribers will receive a free downloadable PDF version of each book they purchase.

Sadly, though, I only see pre-order options -- no subscription.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  04:29:29  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sadly, though, I only see pre-order options -- no subscription.

Some subscription discussion

Also, our dear Mr. Kemp!!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  06:18:43  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No GSE's (Golarion Shaking Events) please.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  06:27:56  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is some of the best news I have heard in awhile. I just picked up Crosscurrents, Paul S. Kemp's new SW novel. I will read it as soon as I am done with Sentinelspire.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  06:37:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I said on the Pathfinder Forums. I feel like Daffy Duck. I am bouncing around. I know I am a dork.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  14:33:11  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

No GSE's (Golarion Shaking Events) please.

Nope, they don't like those. Golarion is much like Eberron in that the timeline is more or less fixed.

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  15:02:49  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice one Paizo!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  23:21:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From [Ed at] Loremaster

quote:
Heh. Not only willing to write Pathfinder - - I already do. (Elves for the "base" rulebook, some River Kingdoms lore and monsters; oh, yes, I've been a busy boy.)
As for novels, we'll see. I'd love to, but there's this little matter of time (as in, carving out enough). And coming to an agreement, which for my novels would be handled by my agent, Andy Zack. Frankly, I'd like nothing more than to write a long string of New York Times-bestselling fantasy classics set in Golarion...but we'll just have to see.
If you want to see something like that, please let the good folks at Paizo know. Really.
I'll be standing by, eagerly.

Mod Edit: Indicated Ed as source of quote.

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - The Sage on 14 Feb 2010 00:10:11
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2010 :  01:47:50  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brilliant move by Paizo. Seriously, if you wanted to start a line of tie-in novels to your world...there is only a handful of authors who could be a true cornerstone, and Elaine is one of those!

And Paul Kemp too??? You gotta be kidding me....Is it Christmas again already??

Who's next RLB?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 14 Feb 2010 01:49:44
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2010 :  01:48:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if they will be standard paperback or the larger?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 14 Feb 2010 01:50:23
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2010 :  02:05:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Considering the price-tag, I'd say standard paperback.

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2010 :  14:20:03  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

They cost more than a standard paperback, so hopefully they are slightly thicker than normal.

It doesn't really matter to me. I like the way Elaine writes.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2010 :  01:55:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:

quote:

They cost more than a standard paperback, so hopefully they are slightly thicker than normal.

I'm assuming the larger paperback size that's recently been hitting shelves. I'm not keen on the way the industry is giving me nothing more than a bit more paper for 20% more money, but not reading -- especially one of Elaine's books -- is simply not an option for me.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2010 :  02:03:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:

quote:

I'm assuming the larger paperback size that's recently been hitting shelves. I'm not keen on the way the industry is giving me nothing more than a bit more paper for 20% more money, but not reading -- especially one of Elaine's books -- is simply not an option for me.

Ultimately, the size of the paperback matters little to me, as I'll likely have to again pay ridiculous AUD prices for any books I purchase.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2010 :  02:08:46  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes... he is STRONG in the way of the Force... he welcomes the DARK SIDE... medichlorians (sp?) and all... :P
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2010 :  03:10:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

Yes... he is STRONG in the way of the Force... he welcomes the DARK SIDE... medichlorians (sp?) and all... :P

Midi-chlorians.

Just think of them as MIDIs that allow interface with the Force, rather than digital audio media.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  05:26:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An email I just got from Paizo...

quote:

Paizo Publishing is proud to announce a new line of Pathfinder novels to support the smash hit Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, the most successful tabletop roleplaying release of 2009. Pathfinder novels launch in September 2010 with the release of Winter Witch, a new novel from New York Times best selling author Elaine Cunningham. In October, Paizo will release Prince of Wolves, by former Dragon Magazine and Amazing Stories editor Dave Gross. Additional novels—including a new adventure from popular novelist Paul Kemp—will follow throughout 2011.

Pathfinder novels are 300–page mass market paperbacks, and have a cover price of $9.99. They will be sold through book and hobby game channels, as well as directly from the publisher at paizo.com. Paizo will also offer a subscription to the Pathfinder fiction line, with subscribers receiving free electronic copies of the books they purchase as part of their subscription. Pathfinder fiction will also be available as PDFs, and other electronic formats may be announced in the future. Additional releases will be scheduled roughly every three months.

"One of the big attractions of writing for Paizo is that I know these guys and how much they care about creating a vivid, exciting world for their game. You can see that passion reflected in the enthusiasm of the fans. I’ve never seen a more devoted, creative group," said author Dave Gross. "It’s a big thrill to be a part of the Pathfinder novel line so early. The Pathfinder Campaign Setting is still a pretty comprehensive bible, but with so little carved into stone there’s enormous freedom to expand and detail the world. It’s a great place to tell new stories."

"I’ve been waiting a very long time to write a story like Winter Witch—an adult version of a Slavic fairytale, set in a land that’s both sinister and beautiful," said Elaine Cunningham. "The folks at Paizo are a joy to work with."

Details on the first two Pathfinder novels follow:

Winter Witch by Elaine Cunningham

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-286-9
Price: $9.99
Size: 4 3/16 x 6 3/4
Publication Date: September 2010

In a village of the frozen north, a child is born possessed by a strange and alien spirit, only to be cast out by her tribe and taken in by the mysterious winter witches of Irrisen, a land locked in permanent magical winter. Farther south, a young mapmaker with a penchant for forgery discovers that his sham treasure maps have begun striking gold.

This is the story of Ellasif, a barbarian shield maiden who will stop at nothing to recover her missing sister, and Decclan, the ne’er-do-well young spellcaster-turned-forger who wants only to prove himself to the woman he loves. Together they’ll face monsters, magic, and the fury of Ellasif’s own cold-hearted warriors in their quest to rescue the lost child. Yet when they finally reach the ice-walled city of Whitethrone, where trolls hold court and wolves roam the streets as men, will it be too late to save the girl from the forces of darkness?

From New York Times best seller Elaine Cunningham comes a fantastic new adventure of swords and sorcery, set in the award-winning world of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

Prince of Wolves by Dave Gross

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-287-6
Price: $9.99
Size: 4 3/16 x 6 3/4
Publication Date: October 2010

For half-elven Pathfinder Varian Jeggare and his devil-blooded assistant Radovan, things are rarely as they seem. Yet not even the notorious crime-solving duo is prepared for what they find when a search for a missing Pathfinder takes them into the mist-shrouded mountains of gothic Ustalav. Beset on all sides by noble intrigue, mysterious locals, and the deadly creatures of the night, Varian and Radovan must use both sword and spell to track the strange rumors to their source and uncover a secret of unimaginable proportions. But it’ll take more than merely solving the mystery to finish this job, for a shadowy figure has taken note of the pair’s investigations, and is set on making sure neither man gets out of Ustalav alive...

From fan-favorite author Dave Gross comes a new fantastical mystery set in the award-winning world of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

For a current schedule of announced Pathinder fiction releases, please visit paizo.com.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  06:02:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's all covered on the paizo.com website.

I was particularly excited to hear about the PDFs for these upcoming books. That's a mighty fine deal!

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Feb 2010 06:03:01
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  07:09:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To clarify for everyone: 300 page Mass Market Paperback is the format Realms novels come in as well.

I believe the bumped up price is due to Paizo printing a limited number of these first Pathfinder novels. I saw talk on the Paizo boards suggesting that if they prove really successful and the line takes off, they will get to a point where they print more for a lower cost.

So the path is clear, really.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  13:40:28  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And, if you want Elaine's novel before September, they Paizo gang have announced that it will be available at GenCon for purchase.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2010 :  21:25:12  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

To clarify for everyone: 300 page Mass Market Paperback is the format Realms novels come in as well.

I believe the bumped up price is due to Paizo printing a limited number of these first Pathfinder novels. I saw talk on the Paizo boards suggesting that if they prove really successful and the line takes off, they will get to a point where they print more for a lower cost.

So the path is clear, really.

Cheers

They must crawl, before they can walk, walk before they can run.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2010 :  11:49:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Subscription info!

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2010 :  12:11:15  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that was fast!

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2010 :  12:51:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

Wow, that was fast!

Me posting it (and signing up, too!) or them getting the info up?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2010 :  13:38:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Subscription info!

Done deal!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page