Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Ruins of Old
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  22:38:47  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If one wanted to search for lost items, spells or artifacts even; where would be a good place to start? If anyone has any names or ruins wich could be good for an epic lvl canpaing to go dungeon crawling in where would that be? Mostly we are looking for lost treasure, and not for a boss fight! It does not realy have to be anything powerful; lost or ancient lore is just as good!

Mainly I ask cause I simple does not have enough knowledge about the reals and the history, so I just want to learn more. Both ingame and ofgame!

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  23:24:42  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm.. lets see
which timeframe are you playing pre or post spellplague?

pre spellplague:
anaurach desert for ancient netherese
mulhaundu and unther for ancient Imaskarian
mere of dead men

post spell plague:
fallen mulaundi and and unther( Tymanther and High Imaskar)
high Imaskar for ancient Imaskar
various ruins in deserts.
fallen Halruua
Chult

that stated, I'm sure there are more knowledgeable scribes around here, but since you stated non-boss fight,
there is always stumbleling across a long forgotten halruuan airship.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  23:42:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To get you started, I'd recommend Lost Empires of Faerūn, which details several sites.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2010 :  02:01:15  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

To get you started, I'd recommend Lost Empires of Faerūn, which details several sites.

I'll second this

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2010 :  03:21:40  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was reading up on the city of Sshamath the other day and found a tasty little bit about the Netherese Caverns in the area (Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, p.96) hidden deep below the Reaching Wood. There are several of these little pockets of Netherese lore and goodies scattered about. Arcane Age: Netheril - Empire of Magic is another good source of information on this ancient civilization, along with Lost Empires of Faerun, and can give you ideas for other stashes for the group to find. Also, you can download it for free HERE!

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2010 :  17:10:15  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anywhere in Anauroch for lost Netherese artifacts....be very careful though...

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2010 :  18:40:56  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Anywhere in Anauroch for lost Netherese artifacts....be very careful though...

Especially after Netheril's return?! I know they are a busy lot, but am sure they feel "ownership" of any Netherese artifacts/knowledge is theirs.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 03 Feb 2010 18:41:59
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2010 :  22:06:31  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there is also the ruins of Illusk and the ruins of the host tower in luskan.
there is also various undocumented locations of old elven crown war era weapon caches that most likely contained kin slaying weapons and what not demonic spells captured from the Vyshaan dogs during the wars

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit

Edited by - sfdragon on 03 Feb 2010 22:13:08
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2010 :  11:27:05  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats all very nice info my fellow scribes...

We play in 1392, thou the spellplague did not take place in our "world".

By the way; when did the netherese returne?
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2010 :  11:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hammer 1, 1372 DR Year of Wild Magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2010 :  14:03:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just as an addendum to Arioch's reply above, Nicolai, I'd recommend you also read the 'Campaign Journal' from the 3e Player's Guide to Faerūn and Grand History of the Realms for more on the time of the Shades' return.

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Feb 2010 14:04:13
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2010 :  17:01:04  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, you can also read Troy Denning's trilogy on their return as well:

Return of the Archwizards (Now in Omnibus form!): The Summoning, The Siege and The Sorcerer. And don't forget Realms of Shadow

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 04 Feb 2010 17:01:56
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2010 :  18:28:12  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Of course, you can also read Troy Denning's trilogy on their return as well:

Return of the Archwizards (Now in Omnibus form!): The Summoning, The Siege and The Sorcerer. And don't forget Realms of Shadow

And there are a few blurbs in the Twilight War Trilogy describing a few things they are up to in Sembia.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2010 :  23:37:16  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the answers here are on a much larger geographic scale than most Faerūnian adventurers would think. Yes, you could travel for weeks to a desert where imperial ruins peek visibly from the sand, but for most those are fabled lands far away -- Faerūn's many-layered history means these kinds of sites can be found much closer to home with but a little digging. For instance, the northern Dales harbour ruins of small and large human realms, various elven kingdoms, Netherese survivor states and even mysterious pre-elven inhabitants, to name some.
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  14:58:34  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly in the novel Darkvision there is such a quest of finding hidden and ancient immraski lore, right???

Edited by - Matthus on 08 Feb 2010 15:43:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  15:41:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. And Cordell's Stardeep deals with much of the same as well.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  10:09:28  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is the campaign centered? There are countless ruins. I would have said Myth Drannor but its a city again by 1390s.

In Cormyr there is always the Haunted Halls or Castle Kilgrave...
There is the Bell in the Depths in the Moonsea - that got featured in one of the Rage books I think...
The mines of Tethyamar
Zhentil Keep/Yulash are also rebuilding
Port Mir
Any of the ruins in the Stone Lands/Anauroch which would bring you into conflict with the Shadowvar
Dragonspear Castle or the Halls of the Hammer or the Dungeon of Swords or Lyran's hold...

Lots to choose from.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000