Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Flying enclave
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2010 :  16:26:37  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met all ye powerful and wise old sages... I have questions for you set in this hall of knowledge.

I was wondering how I, a level 24 wizard, goes about getting a flying enclave like the ones they had during the time of High Netherill?

And on a side note, how do you think people would respond to the sight and idea?

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2010 :  17:04:57  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the "canon" way, via the Netheril box set, is to cast Proctiv's Move Mountain to sheer away the top thousand feet or so of a mountain and cause it to hover. Unfortunately, you can't cast it. First, you're too low level. Second, even if you were the proper level, Mystra's banned 10th level spells. Third, even if you got around that, it requires a mythallar as a component, and they can't be made any more either.

So that option is out. Ed has mentioned that not all enclaves were floating mountain tops, others were more like floating towers or towns. I'd search his scroll for references, but there probably aren't any existing spells that would do the trick.

One option you might consider is creating a cloud castle, as written in the Encyclopedia Magica. Essentially you take a cloud, you work some magic over it so that it doesn't dissipate, and then you throw a whole bunch of walls of force onto it to form floors. Hit each one with a permanecy so it doesn't fade away, and then you can build whatever you want on top of it. I've always really liked the writeup for the cloud castle (there's a second version on the next page that involves calling in a favor from some giant deities and a titan of gravity), but never got a chance to play with one. Hope that helps.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Archistratege
Acolyte

Denmark
10 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2010 :  17:31:55  Show Profile  Visit Archistratege's Homepage Send Archistratege a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgive me for not being of much help, but I remember reading about a certain witch-queen of Aglarond, who, in order to save her lover from the depths of Hell, sheared off a mountian top from the pits of Avernus and crashed it onto an unsuspecting army of devils, which stood in her way. Much like the Netherese did the same to create their floating cities - without the destruction og hellish hordes of course. This even happened not so long ago...
Granted, she 'is' one of the Chosen of Mystra and may just be able to circumvent the ban of tenth-level spells in order to cut off the top of the mountian. However, she may just have used a spell that is unknown to us, and if so, perhaps this spell can be of aid to you. Where to find it though, I have no idea.

- Be kind, patient and compassionate when possible; It is always possible.

Edited by - Archistratege on 22 Jan 2010 17:32:19
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2010 :  17:36:45  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm... ill just convinse the Simbul to give it up... if not willingly then forcefully... which mill be even easyer
!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2010 :  19:44:08  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in lost empires ;I think, there was an epic spell there that is what you seek.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  05:05:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think perhaps that she was able to cast that spell in the Nine Hells simply because she wasn't within the world of Faerun...I'm not sure if the rules to casting magic in the mortal realm apply to the outer planes.

Someone have an idea?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  08:36:43  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well she was/is the Realm's most power living caster

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  14:30:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there's some differences between making a mountaintop float and simply making one fall.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  14:31:29  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Proctiv's Move Mountain Epic spell is available in 3.5 Player's guide to Faerun. Being an epic spell (meaning a powerful 9th level spell that requires extensive research and spellcraft), it is unaffected by Mystra's ban.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  14:53:04  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm.. so epic spell is needed... crap. I realy hate those. But what about the atitude towards it? what do you think would happen i waterdeep when they saw a plying enclave?
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  18:41:44  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd play it that such a thing would throw the city into an utter panic. Most of the populace would probably assume that the new city was actually Shade Enclave come to wreak havok.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  21:42:36  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

hmm.. so epic spell is needed... crap. I realy hate those. But what about the atitude towards it? what do you think would happen i waterdeep when they saw a plying enclave?

Plus, depending on when the game is set, you'd probably be set upon by Khelben, Laeral, Halaster and whomever else felt that the 'upstart' needed to be brought down. If you even got that far. I suspect that you might get some divine nudges that such an abuse of magic is frowned upon.

But, knowing the background of your über-character, you'd probably ignore such warnings anyway.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  00:05:41  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not necessarily. oh sure they would be scrying on you, and you would attract attention of the local mages guild and head government of the area you slash off a mountain top.
not to mention the shade would try to infiltrate your city.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  04:11:24  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Shades do have two. Steal one of theirs.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  06:37:37  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
or do one better, reclaim one of the fallen....
how do you feel about moving into Seventon????

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  12:57:13  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Plus, depending on when the game is set, you'd probably be set upon by Khelben, Laeral, Halaster and whomever else felt that the 'upstart' needed to be brought down. If you even got that far. I suspect that you might get some divine nudges that such an abuse of magic is frowned upon.

But, knowing the background of your über-character, you'd probably ignore such warnings anyway.

He's not that careless all the time, and some of my... "actions have back fired"

By the way, how does one create a Mythallar. I have looked but cant seem tho find it anywhere, and yes I know it cant be done anymore!

Edited by - Nicolai Withander on 24 Jan 2010 12:59:49
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  14:38:30  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's never been described, since, as you say, they can't be made anymore. They were introduced in 2e, which sensibly didn't try to define absolutely everything. In 2e there was still a sense of wonder in magical items, a glorious impreciseness that I greatly missed in 3e. If you wanted to make your own mythallar, you'd have to rediscover the process (and, as player or DM, create it on your own).

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  14:57:22  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... gotta tank to the old bag' o bones know as Larloch! He'll tell me im sure! He still has the remnants laying around somewhere in his ruins I suspect!
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  15:21:47  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or, find the Mythallar from one of the fallen city. Of course, such a search may be the work of a lifetime since you are obviously not the first mage to seek the secrets of fallen Netheril.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  16:13:33  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would make for an interesting adventure. I might actualy do that! Get the whole party ind on it. That would be epic!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  16:16:10  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There aren't mythallars in fallen cities. They were destroyed during the Fall. The only exception is Shade, which technically wasn't present for the Fall. Why Mystra didn't nuke the mythallar the instant the city came back is still mind-boggling.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  16:23:16  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There might not be any intact mythallers anywhere, but there might be blueprints, or other pieces of information that could lead to the creation of yet another! Perhaps! I will let that be up to the DM to deside if we ever go!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  18:42:09  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everything is possible. Some things are less likely than others, however.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  22:58:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

There aren't mythallars in fallen cities. They were destroyed during the Fall. The only exception is Shade, which technically wasn't present for the Fall. Why Mystra didn't nuke the mythallar the instant the city came back is still mind-boggling.

Oh, I think Shar may have a hand in protecting the Mythallar...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2010 :  00:43:45  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there is a mythaller in one of the fallen cities.
however It state is not well known, and seizing it is an adventure in its own.

but anyway the enclave wwas mentioned in Depths of madness by ERic Scott De Bie....
a well recommended book and read.

that said, you can also go into the underdark and Ioluam himself about it..... he might charge you, he might not.
otherwise, you could also go down to halruaa and ask them..... they might not tell you though.

but yeah it was never mentioned on how to make those, so you'll have to make something up, and outrageous to do it.
like a piece of quartz the size of a human fist....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2010 :  01:14:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

but anyway the enclave wwas mentioned in Depths of madness by ERic Scott De Bie....
Negarath, which lies beneath the sands of Anauroch, near the Plain of Standing Stones.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2010 :  02:34:35  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes thats it.
its upside down though....
and a particular creature still lives there, so dont forget yon holy corrosive +5 longsword, and yes must be corrosive.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2010 :  02:37:46  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
on the otherhand, if you are willing to derive from cannon, you could always stumble across a portal that a carbon copy of the longlost thought destroy Fabled City of Rubies lies within complete with the descendants of the population that was in it from times long past.
They would have a copy of it, might even sell you one.

if that does not fancy you, there is always going to Selunarra at the Gates of the Moon.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2010 :  21:09:46  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Sakkors had its Mythallar intact despite the fall, as seen in the twilight war trilogy of Paul Kemp. But then, it was described as a "special" Mythallar, to say the least.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2010 :  23:27:04  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
umm you know, I'd like to know where it says they were destroyed during the fall?? or is this speculation by the fanbase

they could of survived, the chances not all that great but they could of( the people had no chance)....

and also when the three cities were saved by mystra, did they take the mythallers of those three cities when they abandoned them??

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  00:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Netheril box set, page 116, in the Magical Items section of the After the Fall chapter. It says:
quote:
"Quasimagical items became virtually useless after the fall, since their source of power—the mythallars— was destroyed."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000