Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Flying enclave
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  08:09:29  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, your other option is to wait until after the spellplague (wait for it) and exploit the single greatest opportunity every offered by Wizbro: no Mystra = no ban.

10th level spells? No problem.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."

Edited by - Sandro on 27 Jan 2010 08:10:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  11:14:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

Of course, your other option is to wait until after the spellplague (wait for it) and exploit the single greatest opportunity every offered by Wizbro: no Mystra = no ban.

10th level spells? No problem.

Not necessarily. If magic itself was changed to make the ban effective, the absence of Mystra won't necessarily change things back. It didn't before, during the ToT.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  14:49:42  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Netheril box set, page 116, in the Magical Items section of the After the Fall chapter. It says:
quote:
"Quasimagical items became virtually useless after the fall, since their source of power—the mythallars— was destroyed."

many thanks for that.....it still leaves me to wonder though what does it mean by destroyed, battery just without power for just long enough for the enclave to hit terminal velocity or destroyed via blowing up..

the one in Negarath survived, sakkors's sentient one survived, Larloch migh event have one...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 27 Jan 2010 14:52:58
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2010 :  18:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference whether they blew up or powered down. My own guess would be that they lost power, and then Mystra changed the Weave so that they couldn't access it anymore, turning them into regular stone/crystal in the process. I think there's just too much magical power there; if they blew up they would have taken a significant chunk of the enclaves with them, and explosions of that magnitude weren't recorded. The fact that the populations of the three surviving enclaves were big enough to still form viable nations also seems to argue against the blowing up hypothesis.

A good way to look at it is probably that when Mystra rebooted the Weave, she also changed all the A/C outlets from American to German. The mythallars couldn't plug in, couldn't draw power, and so remained shut down permanently.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  01:57:33  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
then I would have to wonder about how the one in Negarath maintained its power then...

but hey, as they all say, It your Realms...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  17:14:56  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
interesting... If one could find it, one might be able to find a way to "plug" them in agan. That woul make for an interesting epic qeust!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  19:38:46  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's at least theoretically possible, since we know that Mystra didn't out-right ban 10th and 11th level spells, she just changed the incantations around so that existing version don't work and then broadly "hinted" that they didn't work at all. But I think it would be hideously difficult to figure out how to make mythallars work in the current magical environment, and there's a pretty good chance that the current Mystra would come down hard on the idea.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  21:02:20  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just to be sure... we're talking about 3,5 ed right?

Thats what we are playing so... But you say she altered the machanics of magic and not directly banned 10 and 11 lvl spells???

I have ingame spent a year developing a spell that made it possible to cast 10th and 11th lvl spells... You say thats its generelly possible if one knew how??? I was pretty sure she didn't alow it!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  23:32:05  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The lore comes from the 2e book Secrets of the Magister, but lore is edition-agnostic. Under the section detailing Forbidden Spells it says the following: "She [Mystra] did this by altering their [10th and 11th level magics] enchantments to make them both inoperative and incomprehensible to the Netherese alive at the time (in other words, all of the recorded incantations could no longer "take hold of the Weave" at all, and hence the spells simply would not work). Mystra also altered a few of the symbols and glyphs of these incantations to make them injurious to the minds of beings attempting to memorize them or read and tinker with them.

"History incorrectly records this as changing humans to make the use of such magic beyond their grasp, or changing the nature of magic to make spells of greater than 9th level unintelligible to humans, because that is what the goddess wanted mortals to believe (to keep strivings after such forbidden spells to a minimum and the waste of spellcasters' lives and efforts small)."

There's a lot more there, I really suggest you track down the book. It's, IMO, one of Ed's best from a pure Realmslore perspective. Not to be confused with FR 4 The Magister, which is a much older book.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  00:35:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

I have ingame spent a year developing a spell that made it possible to cast 10th and 11th lvl spells... You say thats its generelly possible if one knew how??? I was pretty sure she didn't alow it!

She won't necessarily allow your spell to work.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  00:35:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There's a lot more there, I really suggest you track down the book. It's, IMO, one of Ed's best from a pure Realmslore perspective. Not to be confused with FR 4 The Magister, which is a much older book.

There's a lot of good Ed lore in both books.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  01:08:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

She won't necessarily allow your spell to work.

Indeed. Secrets of the Magister talks about what happens if mages [and Magisters and Chosen] try and cast 10th-level spells, as does the Cormanthyr accessory.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  01:09:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

There's a lot of good Ed lore in both books.

Yep! There's a reason I purchased two copies [like I did with most 2e Ed-lore sources] back when it was first released. One copy for the gaming table, and one copy for my nightly reading endeavours.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  04:43:17  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lady K lets you read at night Sage?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  06:07:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Yep. See, she won't let me do "anything" else.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  17:31:02  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats very interesting! So its possible in theory! And the book you mentioned where could they be bought?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  20:32:58  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. Well, now that's the question. WotC shut down all the legitimate pay-for-download sites, and I'm fairly certain that Secrets of the Magister isn't one of the free downloads on their site. And it's obviously not in print any longer. That leaves ebay, used book stores/FL game stores with old books, or finding a pdf on some file sharing network somewhere.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  20:42:14  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thats very interesting! So its possible in theory! And the book you mentioned where could they be bought?

NobleKnight has 2 copies :

http://www.nobleknight.com/searchresults.asp?search=secrets+of+the+magister

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  20:43:11  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondathafinding a pdf on some file sharing network somewhere.

Which, of course, is totally breaking copyright and illegal and we don't suggest you do it at all!

Edit:Oops, forgot to add the [sarcasm] tags.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 29 Jan 2010 20:43:51
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  22:13:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Yep. See, she won't let me do "anything" else.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  22:14:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Thats where I got my near mint copy around 6 months ago.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  23:31:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Dragontrove.com usually has a few reasonably-priced copies floating around on occasion as well.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  10:28:35  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a much easier way, if all you want to do is have a big floating rock with a castle or something... Dragon Magazine 257 had a Wyrm of the North named Valamaradace, "the Dragon Queen."

"The Dragon Queen and her consort Deszeldaryndun dwell in the Floating Mountain. Thisgigantic, hollow, oval rock is kept aloft by the Dragon Queen's magic, which also enshrouds it in mists, and directs it wherever she desires. Usually it hovers low over the woods due west of Everlund, or south of there on the verges of the High Forest. The dragon couple refers to it as "Softwing." "

Later in the article it describes the artifact she uses to do this AND the spells the the artifact that she uses uses to do it. Really its nothing more than a powerful version of levitation and you could throw in a permanency spell and presto you have your very own floating mountain, no mythallar required.

As far as mythallars are concerned, I always figured some survived and could be active. This is how I reasoned out Larloch making his home where his enclave fell and not finding a location that is less accessible to the rabble of the world.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000