Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Player's Guide to Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  03:32:57  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
On page 10 there is an error. The artwork that has the collection of people of different races on it is wrong. The Mulan has the word Illuskan under him. I'm wondering which others are wrong. I'm still trying to get a better handle on the human races and ethnicities in the realms.

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  05:54:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodwwad

On page 10 there is an error. The artwork that has the collection of people of different races on it is wrong. The Mulan has the word Illuskan under him. I'm wondering which others are wrong. I'm still trying to get a better handle on the human races and ethnicities in the realms.

3E had some issues with artwork. Some of them are just bizarre -- like the warforged artwork in The Grand History of the Realms.

The timeline in the Player's Guide to Faerūn also had one of my favorite Realms-specific typos: multiple events that happened in the month of Ukta.

Actually... Having read a lot of 1E and and 2E stuff, and a lot of 3E stuff, 3E seemed to have more errors than the previous two editions combined.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Jan 2010 05:56:35
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2010 :  23:09:01  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Actually... Having read a lot of 1E and and 2E stuff, and a lot of 3E stuff, 3E seemed to have more errors than the previous two editions combined.

That's because it had people that didn't know the product editing it. It's one thing to be able to write stat blocks, it's another thing to know or even care about continuity when you have your OWN book to start writing, and that's a major problem with WOTC.. too many people doing too many jobs but no one doing one job.

3e wouldn't have been so bad if it had 1 editor who's only job was to check the continuity of ALL products.

Maybe then Year of the Drow and Year of the Dragon would have been more then a nifty catch phrase for "exploiting supplement-x across the realms novel line."

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 01 Jan 2010 23:10:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2010 :  00:37:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's because it had people that didn't know the product editing it. It's one thing to be able to write stat blocks, it's another thing to know or even care about continuity when you have your OWN book to start writing, and that's a major problem with WOTC.. too many people doing too many jobs but no one doing one job.

3e wouldn't have been so bad if it had 1 editor who's only job was to check the continuity of ALL products.

Maybe then Year of the Drow and Year of the Dragon would have been more then a nifty catch phrase for "exploiting supplement-x across the realms novel line."

While I'll agree that the importance of continuity seemed to be lessened in 3E, that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about grammatical errors, typos, formatting issues, and mislabeled or incorrect artwork.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2010 :  20:18:03  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another flaw of the 'patched-together anthology' format of latterday D&D books is that it increases the burden on developers and editors to work the multiple authors' writing into a working whole -- one suspects there just weren't enough editorial resources to give all the books what they needed.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2010 :  03:57:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Another flaw of the 'patched-together anthology' format of latterday D&D books is that it increases the burden on developers and editors to work the multiple authors' writing into a working whole -- one suspects there just weren't enough editorial resources to give all the books what they needed.

I'm inclined to think it was too few editors given too little time to do it. If I can spot these errors on a casual read, then a professional should have been able to catch them. I'm not going to sweat a minor typo here and there, but 3E had a lot of them, and those were the small things. I'm a decent editor-type, but I've never been formally trained/educated in that field -- so I'd expect better from a professional.

Even given the apparent editorial constraints, I do still have to wonder how some of the typos and such slipped by -- a simple spellcheck would have caught a good portion of them, like the repeated instances of the word "Ukta" in the Player's Guide.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Jan 2010 03:58:53
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  00:53:29  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall that they got the gold dwarf and the grey dwarf mixed up as well.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

ShepherdGunn
Seeker

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  14:34:11  Show Profile  Visit ShepherdGunn's Homepage Send ShepherdGunn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Proper Editing? Continuity? That's requiring more care for the product than WotC is really want to put into it, though.

"Man does not live by bread alone, likewise, blades and arrows aren't the only things that can kill him."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000