Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 AD&D Forgotten Realms Lands of Intrigue
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  01:48:26  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm thinking about buying this product for my next FR D&D game. I'll be running a lot in Amn but the game will be set in 3.5 It'll likely be 1371 at least before the party gets to Amn, could well be as late as 1374. Would the info on Amn be valueable enough to bother buying this book? Or is there just not enough. Any other suggestions for info on Amn, other than the Volo's Guide (BG II, I think)? As always, thank you to all who take the time to respond.

Ander

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  02:05:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd heartily recommend LoI. Not only was it one of the best 2e FR products, but I count it as some of Steven Schend's best Realms work. Most of the Realmslore contained within its pages would still be largely relevant for most 3e campaigns based in the region, I think. Excepting, maybe, the Erlkazar stuff which received some attention and updates elsewhere, like the Master of Chains novel.

If you're curious about the tome, though, I'd suggest you download the free legal PDF of the product from WotC.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  02:05:38  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it is a great resource book
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  02:10:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for other Amnian sources, Ed Greenwood's Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II [which you've mentioned] is required reading -- at least from my perspective. There's a few brief updates in Grand History of the Realms too.

Go to Top of Page

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  02:24:52  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

As for other Amnian sources, Ed Greenwood's Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II [which you've mentioned] is required reading -- at least from my perspective. There's a few brief updates in Grand History of the Realms too.

Yes, I have that one. I havn't read too much of it yet, but from what I've seen I totally agree with you on its usfulness. Volo's Guides are just great all in all. I just found the download, actually from a link off the wiki to the realms and am downloading it now, but thank you very much for pointing that out to me. Looks like they have a lot of great free stuff online there. I greatly perfer a hard copy to having it on my comp but this certainly is a great way to look at it. Thanks again, Sage.

One other quick question, what country is Shoonach in? Sounds interesting.

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  04:31:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodwwad

One other quick question, what country is Shoonach in? Sounds interesting.
The city sat alongside the River Agis, as I recall -- so I'd say almost in-between present day Tethyr and Calimshan.

Details can also be found in the Lost Empires 3e tome.

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Dec 2009 04:32:20
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2009 :  10:38:02  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lands of Intrigue is a real great, when I played in Forgotten Realms I used it a lot because most of my players didn’t know much of the areas described in the books

You will find Information on Thetyr, Amn and solid lore one the people who live there
Detailed information on: Cowled Wizards, Knights of the Shield, Shadow Thieves, Twisted Rune.

Two big maps and some smaller maps of Thetyr and Amn

It’s a must have :O) You won’t regret buying this product

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2009 :  02:14:56  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
happy 1000th post Victor We have a new master of realms lore at the keep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2009 :  03:32:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Power of Faerûn' also updates Amn.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2009 :  07:41:08  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I'm concerned, LoI is a must-have for any Realms fan, no matter what edition you play, and no matter what timeline you play.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2009 :  09:57:23  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LoI is one of my faves.

Along with Empire of Shining Sea, and the Calimport supplement.

I got Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate from nobleknight about 2 months ago. That is a well fleshed out area imo.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly