Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2010 :  23:30:52  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

Was Mirt the Moneylender ever profiled in Dragon (or Dungeon) Magazine? I have a dim recollection of coming across such a thing in the mid-'90s and it had a really nice illustration of him too.

Could it be Heroes Handbook (my have misnamed the title)?

Almost, but not quite - Heroes' Lorebook, p. 72.

I was thinking it might have been that, but the illustration there isn't the one I was thinking of; I have in my mind a full body illustration of Mirt, possibly standing on a Waterdeep street or in front of a tavern, striking a jovial pose, and heavier set than in the Heroes Lorebook. I guess I could be imagining it, but I can almost see it...

Edited by - CylverSaber on 27 Sep 2010 23:35:21
Go to Top of Page

GazzaM
Acolyte

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2010 :  23:45:42  Show Profile  Visit GazzaM's Homepage Send GazzaM a Private Message
G'day Hooded One

Could you give us more information on Radoc "The One" (The North, pg 58) ? What is he currently up to ? Which god does he worship ?

Could you also give us more information on the Sorceress in Grey (All Things Magical pg 7) ? Who is this mysterious woman ?
Go to Top of Page

kenjura
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2010 :  01:03:54  Show Profile Send kenjura a Private Message
THO:

I was wondering if you or EG could enlighten me on the original intention of the Shadevari, the mysterious beings of proto-Realmspace as mentioned in Faiths and Avatars p.141, as opposed to the Netherese princes of Shade enclave.

What is their ultimate nature? Are they evil? Did they somehow manipulate Selune and Shar in the early, early days of Toril? Do they continue to do so? Could they have had a hand in the events of 1385? They're locked away atm, but I wonder if they might have kindred spirits in the so-called "Shadovar" of recent ages.

I apologize if this has been addressed before, but if it has, I and Google haven't been able to find it.

Edited by - kenjura on 28 Sep 2010 01:12:33
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2010 :  20:27:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Questions piling up again, I see...
Off they go to Ed.
GazzaM, I can tell you that Radoc was Paul Jaquays' character, and he will be the best source of background information on Radoc...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2010 :  21:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Questions piling up again, I see...
Off they go to Ed.
GazzaM, I can tell you that Radoc was Paul Jaquays' character, and he will be the best source of background information on Radoc...
love,
THO

Steven Schend's Hellgate Keep module lays out the final fate of Radoc and his forces (p.6 - Recent Events), which I would assume is fully canon. In short: he got the old smackeroo, courtesy of the demons of Hellgate, @ 1367 DR.

Edited by - Karth on 28 Sep 2010 21:08:53
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  07:27:47  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GazzaM

G'day Hooded One

Could you give us more information on Radoc "The One" (The North, pg 58) ? What is he currently up to ? Which god does he worship ?

Radoc, aka Doc of New Empyrea, played a prominent role in the R1-R4 tournament modules (later combined in I12-Egg of the Phoenix, by Paul Jacquays (a number of other features from the module later made it into FR5-The Savage Frontier, such as Gate (in the Spine of the World) and Grintharke, Master of Ascalhorn. It would seem that he is granted his priest spells by an entity known as Krelokk the Tangg-Lord, but not sure if one of the established Realms deities would have stepped in as a patron, since Doc's relationship with Krelokk would have suffered a bit following the conclusion of Egg of the Phoenix.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  13:56:44  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
The last few months have been somewhat interesting and got me to thinking about a possible career that I never considered before. Although we have many authors here, the Hooded One is the only one whose brain I can pick here.

So, dearest Lady, what exactly does it take to become an editor? How do I go about starting a career of editing? I'm asking because apparently I've gotten a 'reputation' amongst my peers to review stories they are preparing for submission as a first pass before going through a "professional" editor.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  18:46:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ashe, I wish I could be more positive about this, but...editing is one of the poorly-paid professions that has gone increasingly freelance (as little as a thousand buckas for copyediting a full-length novel in a matter of weeks for a large North American publishers), and was never that well-renumerated to begin with. Although inevitably a slew of American colleges are offering courses and even degrees in editing, my experience over the years has been that anyione hiring you is doing so either because they already know you (often because you're a laid-off former colleague, sigh) or after you pass an "editing test" devised by the hirer.
A GOOD editor has an ironclad mastery of grammar, spelling, and current usage, a thrist for clarity, and an instinctive feel for the flow and shape of story, satisfying the reader, and bringing the best story out of a writer (overcoming their flaws with them, NOT writing the story for them, or "fixing" their book to be the book YOU would have written, in their place).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  18:51:06  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi. I'm away from my DRAGON collection now, and have been delaying posting in hopes that someone would provide CylverSaber with an answer. I'm just guessing, but...Ed did an Elminster and Mirt meet someone else story in DRAGON years back...could the illo you're remembering have accompanied that?
Anyone have the relevant DRAGON issue handier than I have, to check?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  18:54:08  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I just finished Gauntlgrym, Bob Salvatore's newest. How close are the places depicted in that book to Ed's original versions of them?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  21:07:38  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

Ashe, I wish I could be more positive about this, but...editing is one of the poorly-paid professions that has gone increasingly freelance (as little as a thousand buckas for copyediting a full-length novel in a matter of weeks for a large North American publishers), and was never that well-renumerated to begin with. Although inevitably a slew of American colleges are offering courses and even degrees in editing, my experience over the years has been that anyione hiring you is doing so either because they already know you (often because you're a laid-off former colleague, sigh) or after you pass an "editing test" devised by the hirer.
A GOOD editor has an ironclad mastery of grammar, spelling, and current usage, a thrist for clarity, and an instinctive feel for the flow and shape of story, satisfying the reader, and bringing the best story out of a writer (overcoming their flaws with them, NOT writing the story for them, or "fixing" their book to be the book YOU would have written, in their place).
love,
THO

Thank you, lovely Hooded one. I was actually thinking of it as a "side" job anyway so I think I'll look into it.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 29 Sep 2010 21:07:54
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2010 :  21:12:40  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
and more questions about the Snow People...

How do they relate with the Barbarians of the Ride? Do they do well in trading since they occupy different areas?

Did the Snow People contribute (were they part of) the Human Kingdom of Thar?

I picture them honoring Tempus; but what about Shaundakul as well since they traveled so far via portal(s) to the Thar area?

Is there an approximate date for their arrival in the area?

I'm just trying to nail down anything already known about them before including them for my write-up on The Ride and its environs. Thanks again so much!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  18:11:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ergdusch, I ran down one of my notes from play: there's abundant salt to be had in the northern Shaar, in surface mines in Estagund (ancient sea deposits), and in a tidal bay in Unther, among other places. So salt is (relatively) plentiful, and carried via caravans throughout the Heartlands. It's about as expensive as good meat is, in real-world North American supermarkets, today: expensive, but not wildly so.
Another real-world onetime-expensive consumable, tea, is also far more abundant and therefore cheaper in the Realms.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  19:22:27  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
Following the none-too-subtle prodding by THO in a thread started by another scribe: can you share with the general population some lore on previous zulkirs of Thay (previous as in, previous to the lot in place as of 1367 DR)? Inquisitive minds really would like to know.
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  21:09:02  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

Following the none-too-subtle prodding by THO in a thread started by another scribe: can you share with the general population some lore on previous zulkirs of Thay (previous as in, previous to the lot in place as of 1367 DR)? Inquisitive minds really would like to know.

I must echo Thauramarth's request! Any lore on former zulkirs would be fascinating; especially if there are any still potentially roaming around.. After all, surely not every zulkir lost his or her position after being killed. Some may have had the sense to just 'disappear' upon realising how suicidal and temporal such a position would be.

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2010 :  21:58:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
DD - I have no idea how Ed will respond, but personally, giving the convolutedness of FR's timeline already, and the problems blending various lore for the region (because different designers went in different directions), I would hazard to guess that it is an intermittent portal that dropped groups of Ruathym-blooded (Anghardt, Reghedman, Northmen, ect) peoples into that region over a vast period of time - at least several centuries. 'Inaccuracy' is a tool in a shared-world environment.

In that way, you do not have to 'nail down' a specific date, and NOT be handcuffed by already-established canon.

Having them all appear at once will most-likely violate something somewhere, so blame it on an ancient, malfunctioning Ostorion portal, or even series of portals, located throughout the far north (Frozenfar and Cold Lands).

But if Ed does reply to this, I am always interested in hearing about (and recording) info about various human migrations.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  03:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message
I some question for Ed about Elminster. Sorry if these questions have been asked before.

How did Elminster experience the Spellplague? Where was he, how did he feel, what was the first thing he did in response? Does Elminster ever become aware of the Shar's hand in 'killing Mystra' (during the Wailing Years or before "Elminster Must Die!"? How does/did Elminster feel about Sharans after the Spellplague? Could you describe how the Spellplague effected Elminster, physically?

Just curious about Elminster's feelings.

Thank you!

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  04:24:31  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
question. The Simbul
and all the magic items she ate. the ancient magics she ate were made with the weave of old, and the weave and mystra were one in the same.
so my question is, since each of the chosen of mystra contained a portion of her divinity, did the items she ate combine with her divinity within the Symbul??

or did it all fade away by then??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2010 :  11:01:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

Ashe, I wish I could be more positive about this, but...editing is one of the poorly-paid professions that has gone increasingly freelance... and was never that well-renumerated to begin with. Although inevitably a slew of American colleges are offering courses and even degrees in editing, my experience over the years has been that anyione hiring you is doing so either because they already know you (often because you're a laid-off former colleague, sigh) or after you pass an "editing test" devised by the hirer...

Agreed. 'Tis the primary reason I quit the job. It surely does feel good when the authors you handle made it big, especially the new ones. But for me, and for 2 of my friends in France and U.K. who used to be editors, it and the pay are never enough.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  02:20:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
sfdragon, re. your questions, above, about The Simbul devouring magic items...Ed says this:

The short answer to your question is: Yes to your first question, so of course "No" to your second.
The long answer: NDA. I can't say more until some future books have been published. Ahem: hint, hint.

Heh. So saith Ed.
Who often aches to say more than he can.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  08:13:29  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message
That's interesting, I wonder if she knows about the Incantifiers of Sigil?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  18:53:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Why does the image of Red Wizards digging through the Simbul's personal midden-heap suddenly come to mind.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  20:13:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed is hard at work writing Realms goodness for us all this weekend (and looking forward to dinner with Bob Salvatore next week, as Bob swings through Toronto on his GAUNTLGRYM book tour), but tells me this, about the zulkirs of Thay:

I'm sorry, but the definitive background Realmslore about the zulkirs (and other former rulers) of Thay is NDA, accepted by TSR but never published.
HOWEVER, at a GenCon circa the publication of Jean Rabe's novel RED MAGIC, I wrote up a short screed on some zulkirs and their doings, which was given out at a Realms panel, and it is therefore "published" and fair game. So I'll go looking for a copy of it this weekend and e-mail it to you, for posting at the Keep. (Please bear in mind that this is over twenty years old Realmslore.)

So saith Ed. Which means we can expect something late tonight or tomorrow...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2010 :  21:21:32  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
Excellent. Looking forward to hearing about the Zulkirs!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  03:17:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Heres a weird question...

I was just watching some old 60's video's - my kids didn't believe there was a rock song with 'Green Lantern' in it (Sunrise Superman by Donovan) - and it made me think of something quite strange.

Was Elminster at Woodstock?

How about the Simbul? She also seems the type.

Is Danilo Than really the missing Iron Butterfly bassist Philip Taylor Kramer, who is hiding in the Realms as a political refugee?

Okay, I'll take my meds now...

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Oct 2010 03:19:23
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  03:55:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Hi again, all. I sent the last few posts in this thread along to Ed, and got a lightning-swift reply for Markustay:

Well, I was JUST too young to successfully persuade my parents that I should be allowed to travel across the border to attend ANY sort of concert.
However, this is something that has been pondered before, by me and Jeff Grubb and Karen Boomgaarden over drinks at a long-ago GenCon, and a definitive answer was agreed upon: only three folk of the Realms briefly attended (parts of) Woodstock, and they were Storm Silverhand, Dove, and a masked lady they brought along: Queen Filfaeril of Cormyr.

So saith Ed. There. THAT was a surprise to some of you, wasn't it? (I said "some"...)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  04:54:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
So what did they think of the music and goings-on?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  05:08:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Actually, Markustay's latest query brings up something I've been thinking about recently.

I'm going to be as simple and direct as possible with this query, because it ties in to a lot of what I'm working on at the moment:- Is there a Woodstock-equivalent in the Realms? And if so, how does it work? Who attends? And where and when is it usually held?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  08:55:12  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Is Danilo Than really the missing Iron Butterfly bassist Philip Taylor Kramer, who is hiding in the Realms as a political refugee?

Okay, I'll take my meds now...

I thought they found his remains years ago. Although having In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida transported into the bardic schools of the Realms is a scary thought.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2010 :  08:59:18  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:

Heh. Hi again, all. I sent the last few posts in this thread along to Ed, and got a lightning-swift reply for Markustay:

Well, I was JUST too young to successfully persuade my parents that I should be allowed to travel across the border to attend ANY sort of concert.
However, this is something that has been pondered before, by me and Jeff Grubb and Karen Boomgaarden over drinks at a long-ago GenCon, and a definitive answer was agreed upon: only three folk of the Realms briefly attended (parts of) Woodstock, and they were Storm Silverhand, Dove, and a masked lady they brought along: Queen Filfaeril of Cormyr.

So saith Ed. There. THAT was a surprise to some of you, wasn't it? (I said "some"...)
love,
THO

If I remember correctly Frank Mentzer was at Woodstock, could it be that Dove foretold the creation of TSR and later suggested that he join the company?

Now, as for Fzoul and that early Allman Brothers concert...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000