Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  20:33:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ummmm...

What you seem to be asking there, KotG, is "Why isn't The Pope also a priest?"

Or better yet, why don't they have master-chefs cooking at McDonalds?

Qilue needed it, because she also serves Elistraee. Elminster has them because before he was her Chosen, he was her friend.

And THO, what you said about the Silverfire there - basically, Silver Fire is the 'stuff' that the Arcane magic is made out of. Its that energy that the weave 'filters' so that mortal casters can easily manipulate Realmspace's magic. Karsus manage to isolate a 'piece' of it, and even he couldn't control it, and it caused considerable harm.

We get our electricity in our homes from Nuclear power plants... but do we really want a reactor in our living rooms? The power plant works for us in much the same way the Weave works for Torillians - feeds us just enough to use so we don't kill ourselves.

Which isn't to say that some folks can handle magic without the filter, either through divine aid (being a Chosen, for instance), or through some sort of 'natural talent' (like Spellfire - it works like a 'personal filter'). In my atomic analogy, that would make Elmintser akin to Einstein.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Sep 2010 20:34:55
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  21:05:53  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Ummmm...

What you seem to be asking there, KotG, is "Why isn't The Pope also a priest?"

Or better yet, why don't they have master-chefs cooking at McDonalds?

Qilue needed it, because she also serves Elistraee. Elminster has them because before he was her Chosen, he was her friend.

I don't know if that's a valid point, MT: It's entirely possible that the Chosen are lay-clergy, or even lay-worshippers. Actually, it wouldn't shock me to hear that (apart from the personal re;ationship that they share with the goddess) that they're not very devout (in the sense of being big church-goers). The Simbul, in particular, doesn't strike me as one to have much, if anything to do with the church at all; she's got too many other things on her plate.

The other item that makes me think that the Chosen would *desire* divine magic is *also* just that: Magic- I find it hard to believe that the Chosen would shy away from it for no reason at all. Combine that with the simple fact that it allows things that simply aren't possible with arcane magic, and I *really* find it odd that only one of the chosen has even a smattering of cleric levels (I don't include Quilue, as she's a 'time-share' Chosen). All of this leads me to believe that Mystra is behind them not entering the 'church proper'.

And the pope argument... well the Pope *is* generally a priest: I seem to recall that it hasn't always been the case, but most Popes (and Ayatollahs and Patriarchs, etc.) *did* spend their lives as priests before being exalted in the hierarchy of their respected churches.

Edited for clarity: I should never post from my phone- it always ends badly.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 21 Sep 2010 22:29:51
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  21:27:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Here's a twist, Knight. It's rare that the Chosen have studied at being a cleric, true, but if you look at some of their published statistics, most have a good understanding of religion (going by 3E, most have a few ranks in Knowledge [Religion]).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  22:35:52  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Here's a twist, Knight. It's rare that the Chosen have studied at being a cleric, true, but if you look at some of their published statistics, most have a good understanding of religion (going by 3E, most have a few ranks in Knowledge [Religion]).

Of course: I'd be shocked if they were not the equivalent of any Theologist in the Realms as regards the Faerunian pentheon, at least. And I'd be shocked if there's any Archpreist of Mystra that knows half as much about their goddess as the 'least' of the Chosen. Which is why I imagine that the clergy and lay-folk alike would travel great distances to hear any one of them give a sermon, or even a more informal talk.

I've always imagined that the truly wise higher-ranking priests of Mystra come to the Chosen (when the opportunity presents itself) for guidance; whereas I can also see other, more power-hungry priests being jealous of their exalted station and whispering against them.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  22:37:06  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate:
Not to mention that divine magic is *also* just that: Magic

Blasphemer! "How should I know how long divine spells take to cast? It is not as if they were REAL magic!" - http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0650.html

Seriously though, great questions, and I have one as well (though probably not as great): Game rules have upper limit to Silver Fire (I think once in 70 minutes, but I can't check at the moment). What are Ed's rules, if I may be so bold to ask, for Silver Fire? We know that in Elmister in Hell, Dove (I think) implies to Alassra that using too much is forbidden by Mystra. We also know that apparently, over-use of it opens holes between dimensions. On the other hand, in The Fall of Myth Drannor, Symrustar Auglamyr used so much of it that the explosion of Silver Fire that "they soon vanished from sight, only the silver flames visible as they exploded for hundreds of yards. Malimshaer's seared skull and ribcage fell at Captain Selorn's feet, and other remains dropped onto the battlefield". So apparently, one can over-load on it (though the fact that Symrustar's body was never found may mean it is not meant to be used but as a suicide charge).

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  23:20:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Of course: I'd be shocked if they were not the equivalent of any Theologist in the Realms as regards the Faerunian pentheon, at least. And I'd be shocked if there's any Archpreist of Mystra that knows half as much about their goddess as the 'least' of the Chosen. Which is why I imagine that the clergy and lay-folk alike would travel great distances to hear any one of them give a sermon, or even a more informal talk.

I've always imagined that the truly wise higher-ranking priests of Mystra come to the Chosen (when the opportunity presents itself) for guidance; whereas I can also see other, more power-hungry priests being jealous of their exalted station and whispering against them.

HA! I'm sorry, I can't see any of the Chosen giving a sermon and if any clergy came to them for advice, the Chosen would probably get a good laugh themselves before turning them away.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  23:46:01  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO!

I would like to know about salt in the Realms - where and how it is produced, how important it is for preservation of food and other uses and if it ever was (or still is in some areas) as important to the people as salt was during the middle ages in Europe, back than referred to as 'White gold'.

Any Cormyr-specifics on this would be very much appreciated aside from a general take on the question.

Thanks in advance, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  01:06:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I would think that being a priest would be redundant for a Chosen of Mystra... Priests are mortal servants of the divine, and they're just one particular flavor of servant. Chosen are another flavor.

A potato can be mashed or it can be sliced up and fried... You could do both to the same potato, but each method of preparing it produces a tasty end result, so it's redundant (and inefficient!) to do both.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  02:06:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I would think that being a priest would be redundant for a Chosen of Mystra... Priests are mortal servants of the divine, and they're just one particular flavor of servant. Chosen are another flavor.

A potato can be mashed or it can be sliced up and fried... You could do both to the same potato, but each method of preparing it produces a tasty end result, so it's redundant (and inefficient!) to do both.

Hmmm. I think this subject was touched upon in The Magister tome [or was it in my archives?]... dealing with the concept of the Magister and the Chosen of Mystra, as well as how they function among the faithful.

I'll take a look.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  10:55:17  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate
So, re-reading the Seven Sisters today, I came across a realization, and I'm not sure if it's significant or not: None of the Seven sisters are priestesses (as in the Cleric class) of Mystra.

For me they are priests of Mystra, in fact I would say that all wizards are. By actively casting spells, crafting spells and items they are carrying out Mystra's doctrine. Therefore they are priests.

Ed From the Realms Mailing list

Wizards may be priests of Mystra, something we haven't yet gone into, in print. things were complicated enough when I was hurling god entries to Julia for F&A; Jeff Grubb and I, back in the early days, had already decided to leave that one on the back burner for a while, but careful Realms readers can find hints of it in the early products

http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind9901B&L=REALMS-L&P=R8672&I=-3&m=1966

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  15:59:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ergusch, I think Ed has answered queries about salt before. From Realmsplay I do recall, off the top of my aging head, that salt is a valuable food preservative as it was in the real-world European Middle Ages, but that it's not as expensive in the Realms as in the real world back then, because it's not as scarce and as difficult to get.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  16:16:27  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Ergusch, I think Ed has answered queries about salt before. From Realmsplay I do recall, off the top of my aging head, that salt is a valuable food preservative as it was in the real-world European Middle Ages, but that it's not as expensive in the Realms as in the real world back then, because it's not as scarce and as difficult to get.
love,
THO

Thanks, THO, for the quick answer. I will try to hunt down the relevant answer from Ed on this.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  17:50:18  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message
Dear Ed and Dear(est) Lady THO,

I am still working my way through the melancholy-tinged joy that is Elmister Must Die, a question came up and my searchings throughout the keep have afforded me no answer, as yet.

It is mentioned that the Dalestride portal in the palace was reinforced by Caladnei before the spellplague. I was wondering if we might know, why she reinforced a portal into the palace at all? And if any portal, why that one?
Go to Top of Page

Ousia
Acolyte

Denmark
9 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2010 :  23:13:58  Show Profile  Visit Ousia's Homepage Send Ousia a Private Message
Hi fellow fans of the Forgotten Realms,

I have some questions on Eveningstar and I hope that you can help me.

1. When was Eveningstar founded?
2. Who founded Eveningstar?
3. Why was Eveningstar founded?
4. Which year was Tessaril Winter appointed Lord of Eveningstar?
5. Who was Lord in Eveningstar prior to Tessaril and who served as herald?

Regards
Kaare (Denmark)

To be updated
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2010 :  02:02:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Iluvrien, Ed isn't talking about that particular topic right now. (I know, because I asked him about that the moment I read ELMINSTER MUST DIE!)
However, we Knights know a LITTLE about that portal from the "home" Realms campaign. It long predates Caladnei's arrival in Cormyr, and is a two-way portal that was often used by Vangerdahast to send War Wizards swiftly to the Dales, and get them back to report to him quickly, too.
Before the Time of Troubles, its very existence was a very well kept state secret of Cormyr, known to most War Wizards, a few senior courtiers, the royal family, Vangey, and a handful of Harper spies - - NOT to most folks around the Palace, and thus, many citizens of Suzail.
Florin formed the opinion, confirmed by Elminster with a silent nod at one point (at least, all of us who were present are pretty sure that's what the Old Mage was confirming), that the portal ("gate" to us, remember; all of this lore predates the game edition change that introduced the term "portal" to widespread use in D&D) was created as an "escape route" for Obarskyrs in the case of assassination or usurpation: a fast way out of the realm that royals could take, hopefully with War Wizard or other loyal bodyguards, to go into hiding and survive for a later attempt to reclaim the Dragon Throne.
Yes, it's a two-way portal, but the reason for its creation was to create a way to get out, not to establish a permanent vulnerability for invasion into the heart of the Royal Palace of Suzail (THAT was an unavoidable cost).
Or so we believe.
As I said, Ed isn't talking. Yet. Perhaps we'll all learn more in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP. Or later sequels.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2010 :  03:10:05  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'll echo Wooly's statement here and add one more myself:

If Mystra were to be killed, her Chosen would have little in the way of magical might after...leaving them vulnerable and unable to adequately defend the spark of divinity she had entrusted to them.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2010 :  13:33:53  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Iluvrien, Ed isn't talking about that particular topic right now. (I know, because I asked him about that the moment I read ELMINSTER MUST DIE!)
However, we Knights know a LITTLE about that portal from the "home" Realms campaign. It long predates Caladnei's arrival in Cormyr, and is a two-way portal that was often used by Vangerdahast to send War Wizards swiftly to the Dales, and get them back to report to him quickly, too.
Before the Time of Troubles, its very existence was a very well kept state secret of Cormyr, known to most War Wizards, a few senior courtiers, the royal family, Vangey, and a handful of Harper spies - - NOT to most folks around the Palace, and thus, many citizens of Suzail.
Florin formed the opinion, confirmed by Elminster with a silent nod at one point (at least, all of us who were present are pretty sure that's what the Old Mage was confirming), that the portal ("gate" to us, remember; all of this lore predates the game edition change that introduced the term "portal" to widespread use in D&D) was created as an "escape route" for Obarskyrs in the case of assassination or usurpation: a fast way out of the realm that royals could take, hopefully with War Wizard or other loyal bodyguards, to go into hiding and survive for a later attempt to reclaim the Dragon Throne.
Yes, it's a two-way portal, but the reason for its creation was to create a way to get out, not to establish a permanent vulnerability for invasion into the heart of the Royal Palace of Suzail (THAT was an unavoidable cost).
Or so we believe.
As I said, Ed isn't talking. Yet. Perhaps we'll all learn more in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP. Or later sequels.
love,
THO

Thank you lady THO for your answer! Especially since Ed isn't talking (on this subject. yet).
I did wonder about the possibility of a a permanent escape route, even though it provides a vulnerability. The book seems to imply that the Suzail side is more heavily (or perhaps closely) guarded than the Dalelands side. Might that be because to station a fort or even a large group of Purple Dragons and War Wizards on the entrance would draw everyone's attention to where it is?

Of course in the pre-spellplague era, it seems that there were fewer problems in gating into the palace in the general sense, so strengthening one portal may have seemed a lesser risk. Hmmm.

The assumption the plan works on is that there are places, bolt holes or safe houses on the Dales side that are likely to remain safe. If you and the other scribes would pardon yet another question, are there any? And what might their nature be?
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2010 :  22:33:50  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
<chop>
Perhaps a better question to ask is: if my character - - or any other PC or NPC under discussion - - has the ability to wield spellfire or the silver fire, WHY do they have a part of Mystra's divine essence in them? Did Mystra put it there deliberately, and if so, why? Are there Sinister Grand Hidden Plans being laid and worked on, and unfolding? (and if so, to what desired ends????) Or do I have the silver fire (or spellfire) by the mischance of being bitten by a radioactive spider? Or is it something in between (we know that the essence can be transferred by birth, because we know it's hereditary in some families)?
And of course, the BIGGEST mistake of all would be to think that Ed hasn't planned all of this, perhaps as long as 1967 or so (before the D&D game).
Not that he may be able to share much about it. Some things are secret (and NDA'd to remain so) for good reasons of keeping the games and books more entertaining because some things Remain Unrevealed . . .
love,
THO

This is very interesting (and makes a great deal of sense) in light of the surprise guest who asks to see Elminster at the end of Elminster Must Die... I'll not speculate further; looking forward to Bury Elminster Deep...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2010 :  23:57:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
What story was that in which Elminster speaks to Ao as an equal, and then is sumararilly 'punished' for his temerity?

Love that scene - the two actual didn't seem all that different from one-another. AFAIK, Elminster is the ONLY mortal Ao deals with directly. VERY telling.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  03:17:18  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

What story was that in which Elminster speaks to Ao as an equal, and then is sumararilly 'punished' for his temerity?

Love that scene - the two actual didn't seem all that different from one-another. AFAIK, Elminster is the ONLY mortal Ao deals with directly. VERY telling.

Cloak of Shadows, book 2 in the Shadow of the Avatar trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2010 :  03:22:20  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message
Also Markus, later in the same novel after El deals with his "punishment" Ao says to him "Perhaps you should be the god of all magic in Faerun."

Too obvious?
Go to Top of Page

Deathspawned
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  00:11:17  Show Profile  Visit Deathspawned's Homepage Send Deathspawned a Private Message
first off i'd like to say this is my first post ever on any "realms" site so if i bend any rule's i apoligise in advance.
Now i would like to say i LOVE the FR and have for many(since at least 1987)years.I have never posted(but have enjoyed reading)at CK before but i wish to say to ed that if it were not for all the wonderful novels and products i have no idea what i would spend my free time doing:)
The first novel i ever read for the realms was "Spellfire" and iv been hooked ever since.
Well now i should get to the questions....

1.how do i find any/all of your written realms/other work that is out in print(novel/short story etc.)

2.is there a way(PM/e-mail etc.)that you can express your real and uncensered feelings about the "major"recent turn in the way the realms have gone(4e realms)and how much of it was agreeable to you?

3.This one is more of a general question but is there a recent list of realms novels(checklist)that has all novels listed up to date and the upcoming releases?

tyvm in advance and no hurry on answers :)

Death
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  00:23:59  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Well met, milady THO and Ed!

I was perusing another scroll here when this caught my eye:

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

<chop>Pure speculation, if the black diamond inside the artifact is the Black Diamond that corrupted Auril (and Laeral), that would open a lot of possibilities. The crown was created by Trebbe of Netheril and I think Moander (Dark god) was behind the accident that caused his death. Coincidentally when Khelben shattered the Crown, Moander awakened in Yulash and was slain by Finder, which allowed Myrkul to possess the Crown.

Ed, can you say anything about this hypothetical connection between the shattering of the Crown of Horns and the awakening of Moander? Even if it's just "Yes, they are connected" or "No, they aren't"; I have a theory regarding Myrkul's connection with Moander (the god of the dead and the god of decay and corruption)...

Many thanks!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  04:10:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
On the topic of using monster-parts for magical research and spells:

There was an interesting advenure-hook I read somewhere, but I can't place it. It definately wasn't FR, and it may have appeared in either Dragon or Dungeon magazines, so it was probably core, although for some reason I am leaning toward Greyhawk on this one (weather in a GH supplement or in one of the mags).

Anyhow.... it concerned a group of 'adventurers' that would aquire monster-parts to order, but what they really had was a pair of rings of regeneration and a mage that was handy at polymorph. They basically kept two hapless individuals prisoners and just kept turning them into whatever they needed and cut them up... over and over again.

The sheer 'horror factor' of that stuck in my mind, and with Halloween coming up, and the topic of monster-parts being brought up...

I may have gotten one or two of the details wrong, but that was the basic gist of it - figured I'd share. Just remember, most of those critters who have 'useful bits' are going to know they have them, and won't take too kindly to being 'farmed'.

ESPECIALLY Dragons - Ed made a very important (and cool) precedent on Elminster's Daughter: Dragons WILL work together against a common threat, and put aside ALL differences, regardless of color or alignment.

Assume the same for most intelligent species.

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Sep 2010 04:14:09
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  07:12:38  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
what would the realmsian equivalent way of calling someone a beast( the more derogatory the better, as I need one as insult)

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  10:08:11  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
quote:
The limited number of mortals she has infused with her ability to tap the Weave (herself) in this manner is the solution to the game balance problem: silver fire, in Ed's realms, is NOT something every wizard, sorcerer, warlock, or just plain (classless, non-adventuring) Joe can choose to "take for themselves" and use, though the way the game rulebooks express the world for players of the game can lead a player to think that it is "an option available to all."

THO, I have a question (well, several questions upon review!) related to this as it applied to Sammaster and his manipulation by Alagshon. The latter seemed to believe, going by the "Cult of the Dragon" sourcebook, that after he had coerced Sammaster into continually using silver fire over and over again, and repeatedly analysing it and studying it, that by the use of a spell, he would (in conjunction with Bane) be able to "steal it" and control/wield silver fire when it was employed. It was described as a clerical ceremony that, with Bane supplying a lot of raw power, was thought to be capable of taking silver fire forcibly from a Chosen. And, of course, they decided to test this on Alustriel rather than Sammaster, then turn on Sammaster and add HIS Chosen power to what Alagshon would have stolen from Alustriel (thus making him more powerful than any of the other Chosen).

I suppose the question boils down to: would it have worked? Alagshon (and Bane) evidently seemed to believe so, but belief does not of course always equal reality, and Mystra would probably have something to say about somebody trying to steal silver fire (IIRC, one of Ed's replies in the past was that Bane attempting to become "Tyrant of the Weave" would result in Azuth opposing him utterly, as well as Mystra being obviously able to stop him from taking control of the Weave because she IS the Weave).

Additionally, if silver fire is the raw energy of the world, and the Weave is the collecting net for that raw energy (and Mystra = Weave, not Mystra = raw energy of the world; at least, that's how I understand it based on reading various replies here and sourcebooks, thus allowing Chosen of Mystra to via that chunk of divine energy/The Weave in them to channel some of the raw energy without being explodified by raw power...), how would Alagshon and/or Bane drawing that raw energy to themselves actually help them beyond a temporary boost before that particular "blast of energy" stolen was used up and they needed more? It seems that the actual divine essence is what they should be going after, rather than the production of that divine essence.

And lastly, why exactly does silver fire not manifest outside Realmspace? If the Weave is a collecting grid for raw energy, then the fragment of essence within the Chosen should be able to gather up raw energy regardless of where they might be at the time. I suppose it could be like plugging a European power plug into an American socket? And given that Mystra seems to cause tears and rips in reality when she is on other planes due to interaction between her essence and that of the plane (e.g. Elminster in Hell), would Chosen also cause this (albeit to a much, much smaller degree)?

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Iluvrien
Acolyte

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  16:47:06  Show Profile  Visit Iluvrien's Homepage Send Iluvrien a Private Message
Dear Ed & Lady THO, another Elminster Must Die question, I am afraid. I am slowly crawling to the end of this wonderful book, intentionally slow so as to prolong then enjoyment, and of the many queries that have arisen in my mind while reading this most enjoyable of tales, this is the one that shouts loudest for me at this time. I apologise beforehand for my inadequate words, it has been a rough few days.

quote:
Originally spoken by Ethena Astorma

The highknights have had it in their keeping ever since her death, thanks to her foresight and wise wishes. And my carrying them out.

This fairly innocuous sentence intrigues the heck out of me for multiple reasons, but I promise to raise only a couple of the legion of questions I have about it. It suggests that in the days leading up to her end, Filfaeril (yes, another Fee related matter) set to disbursing items to safeguard the future of the forest kingdom. Unsurprising but intriguing. I won't ask what all of the plans she put into place might have been (because I doubt that would ever see an answer... for good reason) but I will fish in general terms for details.

Was the wardenship of Filfaeril's Ring with the Highknights the only bequest she made? Or the only measure for the safekeeping of her people that she directed to be enacted after her death?

I emphasize the last section because one would usually presume that she would leave such decisions in the hands of her grandson, Azoun the Fifth. I wonder as to whether she was already certain that he would be a less mighty (and perhaps stubborn) king than his grandsire.

My other question is about Storm's part in carrying out those instructions. Quite simply, was Storm (and/or El) with her during her last days?

For me, and for such a beloved character, I could think of few souls who might provide greater comfort and care than Storm. The idea that Fee should spend her last days in such care would please me greatly.

Thank you,

Iluvrien
Go to Top of Page

CylverSaber
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2010 :  20:43:24  Show Profile  Visit CylverSaber's Homepage Send CylverSaber a Private Message
Was Mirt the Moneylender ever profiled in Dragon (or Dungeon) Magazine? I have a dim recollection of coming across such a thing in the mid-'90s and it had a really nice illustration of him too.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2010 :  22:54:06  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

Was Mirt the Moneylender ever profiled in Dragon (or Dungeon) Magazine? I have a dim recollection of coming across such a thing in the mid-'90s and it had a really nice illustration of him too.

Could it be Heroes Handbook (my have misnamed the title)?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2010 :  23:01:05  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

Could it be Heroes Handbook (my have misnamed the title)?

Almost, but not quite - Heroes' Lorebook, p. 72.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000