Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13248 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2010 :  23:05:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
LOL!

Got a queasy feeling your attending your own eulogy?

Fear not, O' lady of the sensuous hood - me thinks we scribes can get quite a bit more mileage from thee.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2010 :  23:56:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, and as I enjoy being ridden, saddle me up!
Ahem.
As for Askavar: I don't think Ed ever wrote much lore about it, but he does have a page or two that's unpublished that I've seen in his study. (Years back; it may be deeply buried by now - - or he may be able to grandly present it here, shortly after your query reaches him. We'll see . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Seeker

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  00:32:49  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage  Send dravenloft an AOL message  Send dravenloft an ICQ Message  Click to see dravenloft's MSN Messenger address  Send dravenloft a Yahoo! Message Send dravenloft a Private Message
I've been pondering the various temples and shrines of the Realms and wondered: What do any of them look like? Inside and out. Grand tour style. (I just had a funny mental image of someone doing like Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous for Gods )

Yes, there're gods I'm more curious about than others. Lliira, Selune, Mystra, Sharess, but honestly I'm barely any less curious about any others. Whatever m'lady THO or m'lord Ed should care to share is, as always more than satisfactory.

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  15:40:35  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Yee hhaaa with or without spurs great Lady???????? with or without?????? ;-)

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  16:52:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oooh, spurs . . .
Ahem. I DO need soft, healing times, occasionally.
Sill Alias, I recall listening to a Gygax and Lakofka GenCon seminar in which they said alcohol ruined the magic in magical potions, on contact. Which in those days, with essentially only two loud voices in D&D (TSR and Judges Guild), was instant canon.
(Eeee, I feel old. Feel me . . . see? )
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29706 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  17:14:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

love,
THO

I've heard it said -- with regards to men -- that you're only as old as the woman you feel. I'd imagine that the reverse was true for women.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  17:40:47  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO
Apparently, there's a technique available that let's you determine just how old you really are. And that is:- Do you grunt or sigh when you sit down or get up? If so, then according to the "theory" supporting this technique... you're old.

Needless to say, when I first heard that, I was very cautious for about a week each and every time I say down anywhere.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  21:37:32  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

love,
THO
Apparently, there's a technique available that let's you determine just how old you really are. And that is:- Do you grunt or sigh when you sit down or get up? If so, then according to the "theory" supporting this technique... you're old.

Needless to say, when I first heard that, I was very cautious for about a week each and every time I say down anywhere.

Heh... by that "theory," any pregnant woman in her third trimester is old... and I don't want to be the bearer (pun intended) of that news.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 26 Jun 2010 21:38:55
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13248 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  23:32:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
What if the noises do not emit from one's mouth?

You remind me of a lady Gamer I knew MANY years ago THO, back in the days when such things were rarer then a generous Sembian. You make me smile... and wax nostalgic...

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've heard it said -- with regards to men -- that you're only as old as the woman you feel. I'd imagine that the reverse was true for women.
Ack!

My GF is older then I.....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  02:34:51  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One If you want to ask Ed directly about this, by all means post questions in his thread.

I'll take you up on this, THO.

Ed, The Seven Sisters sourcebook (pg.40-41) states that the Simbul has vowed to destroy Thay. Could you elaborate on this vow? Why did she make it? And if she is capable of razing Thay, why has she not seen through this vow?

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  04:17:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring you the words of Ed of the Greenwood, in reply to Brace's query, above:

Hi, Brace. I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you've misread the relevant passage in THE SEVEN SISTERS. The Simbul has never vowed to destroy Thay.
The sentence you're referencing begins: "One day, she vows, Thay WILL be destroyed, and she will call together..." and goes on to outline what The Simbul has vowed to do, which is remake the Thayan lands into a new forest, with the cooperation of Rashemen and other neighbours. Her vow is to (try to) create a new woodland realm for elves, after Thay finally falls, NOT to destroy Thay herself.
The Simbul (correctly) views the government and social structure of Thay as one that cannot last (it eats away at itself), and that their aims and behaviour will inevitably lead them into conflict with more and more powerful foes...until they come up against someone (Larloch, if no one else; Halruaa, still very much part of the Realms at the time The Simbul said this) who WILL destroy them. After all, Rashemen has fought them to a standstill, and so has The Simbul herself, both successfully preserving their smaller, less populous realms against Thayan invasions.
The Simbul lashes out murderously against individual Red Wizards because of her uncontrollable (remember, she's less than sane) anger against them for their repeated attacks on Aglarond and other realms, their enslaving of others, and their continuing attacks on non-Red Wizard wizards and sorcerers everywhere. However, she's simply too busy carrying out the tasks Mystra sets for her to do much more than rush home to defend Aglarond, race off again, rush back again, and so on. The mundane business of ruling frankly bores her, and she has utterly no interest in becoming a tyrant, expanding Aglarond, or conquering Thay.
Mystra has expressly ordered The Simbul NOT to lead invasions of Thay or frontal attacks on Red Wizards within Thay (except when they get in her way while she's trying to carry out an assignment as a Chosen), and specifically forbidden her to kill various Thayan individuals (including most of the Zulkirs, Szass Tam included); hints of this have appeared in published Realmslore, though they've been downplayed in recent years to allow novel authors a "freer" hand when writing about Thay and Szass. Alassra isn't pleased about this, but she's a Chosen first and a Queen second and a free agent very much third. :}
As to WHY Mystra is pursuing this policy regarding Thay: that's something apparently only She and Azuth know, and her Chosen only suspect (though they correctly deduce that the encouragement of the Art [=magic] is bound up with it). I can't say more on this last matter, due to the NDAs I've signed.
Now, I certainly grant that it's easy to interpret what I wrote in THE SEVEN SISTERS as The Simbul saying SHE would destroy Thay. My original text read: "One day, she vows, after Thay has fallen, she will . . ." but the editor changed it deliberately to give DMs more leeway in playing The Simbul THIS way or THAT way in their own campaign (and that IS what we're doing in these sourcebooks; giving DMs and players maximum choices and options, and minimum "thou shalt do it this way" dictation), and as a jesting reference to the historical "Carthage must be destroyed!" speeches (you'll remember that the orator who made those speeches never took personal direct part in fighting against Carthage, according to the historical record).
Yes, she IS capable of razing Thay. In doing so, however, she would destroy herself, bring down the Weave in that immediate area and cause deadly wild magic all around the dead magic zone thus created, weaken Mystra, and damage many lives and psyches (probably including those of other Chosen), allowing others (Larloch, et al) to rise up into the power vacuum or upset balance of power. It's like having a nuclear bomb: you CAN use it, but the consequences are usually so disastrous that you DON'T use it.
Yes, Alassra is insane. Yet she's not THAT insane, because Mystra and Azuth DO watch over their Chosen and hurl other Chosen at them if they go seriously off the rails (see: Sammaster, some of the argument scenes between Elminster and Khelben I've written into my novels, and so on).
I hope this helps clear matters up. Feel free to pose more questions, any time.

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work on a middle-of-tale chapter in the 2009 Spin A Yarn tale.
love,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3523 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  04:36:44  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message
That is great insight into the Simbul, nice to hearvhow she "ticks". Thank Ed for us all Lady.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13248 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  07:29:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
She tried to single-handedly invade HELL (and nearly succeeded)!
Was her sanity, or lack there of, ever in doubt?

What was the name of TLC's (that girl pop group) second album?
"Crazy, Sexy, Cool"

yeah... thats the Simbul.

After meeting her, Halaster is quoted as saying "Damn! She's nuts!"

Okay... that never really happened... funny though...

Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  14:16:37  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Dear Ed & Lady THO...does the Elven Court have an Elvish Name???????? If so what would they Tel-Quessir call it?

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29706 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  15:19:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I've a couple questions to add to my ever-growing queue...

You mentioned recently that even with Chosen, the silver fire eventually burns them out... And we know that Mystra has had many human servitors who wound up in various non-human forms. So have any of Mystra's Chosen wound up in a non-human form that would not burn out, like a construct or something? Or is there something about the silver fire that requires it being in a living body? What about a draconic Chosen?

On a similar note, we've previously discussed mages escaping death without resorting to undeath. Have there been any mages who went the route of putting their minds into constructs?

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  15:44:22  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

On a similar note, we've previously discussed mages escaping death without resorting to undeath. Have there been any mages who went the route of putting their minds into constructs?
As an addendum to Wooly's question here... I'd like to add several more to my own almost-infinite pile:-

Ed, I'm curious about the methods you might have detailed regarding how these mages may have placed their minds in artificial construct forms? Were they simply arcane techniques, or something more inclined toward the psionic disciplines? Or are we talking about something entirely new?

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Jun 2010 15:46:32
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  18:54:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.

Wooly, re. this: "Have there been any mages who went the route of putting their minds into constructs?"
Yes. More than a few that I know of, from play in the "home" Realms campaign. I'm hoping Ed will spill some details soon, in proper reply to you.

Sage, the moving-your-mind-into-constructs lore that I know about was something Ed wrote for VOLO'S GUIDE TO ALL THINGS MAGICAL and then dropped from his turnover to make proper space for all the magic items Eric Boyd was doing such a superb job of detailing and updating. Like becoming a lich, the various methods were all procedurtes involving several new spells (in the same way that Nulathoe's Ninemen is a "special" spell for preparing undead). Again, we await Ed's lore-sharing . . .

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2384 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  21:35:34  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
That bit about Thay over-reaching was really interesting to read, especially Ed's off-hand mention of Halruaa. I'd like to ask a couple follow-up questions, if I may, because I've never seriously considered an all-out war between those two magic nations.

1) Is a war between Thay and Halruaa something Ed thinks is likely, in the fullness of time (and assuming the Spellplague doesn't happen)?
2) If so, what would be the likely trigger? Thayan raids for Halruaan magic seems the most obvious, but are there others? And how far in the future would such a trigger happen?
3) From the phrasing, Ed seems to think Halruaa would be the fairly clear-cut winner. As I've always thought Thay had a rather significant population advantage, not to mention slaves and centuries of experience in warfare with its neighbors, I'd be interested to hear his reasoning behind this. Obviously Halruaa has the edge in cohesion, both in a stable monarch and fewer evil/backstabbing wizards, but would this be enough to offset Thay's numbers?
4) If such a war was to break out, how does Ed think it might progress? Both nations have rather impressive defensive terrain barriers which are eventually going to have to be overcome. What would be the reaction of neighboring lands? (Aglarond, Rahshemen, the Great Rift?)
5) Finally, if Halruaa does win, how much of Halruaa would be left?

This could become a fascinating "alternate setting," for a campaign set in Halruaa, much like the great Fall of Myth Drannor module, and I'm really curious to hear Ed's thoughts on it.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13248 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  22:07:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Don't want to quote anyone, but I will third the Sage's and Wooly's line of questioning - I am MOST interested in this type of lore. {insert salivating smiley here}

Krash and I had worked-out some things about Raumathar constructs, and had theorized that they had developed a type that could actually absorb 'spirit energy', which in essence is what an outer-planer being is (when on the Prime material).

Logic dictates that this is magitech they backwards-engineered from the the Imaskari, and apparently developed by the Shou interlopers; there is much lore about soul-infused constructs (Golems) in the Kara-Tur material. The Copper Demon of Tros was quite obviously one-such construct-bound being.

Which is what also lead several of us fleshing-out the Utter East to draw the conclusion that the Bloodforges were a related magitech (note the geographic proximity), in that they required a bit of 'soul energy' to power them (they created Golems and also caused 'corruption' in those nearby).

Anyhow, sorry for my usual musings/ramblings - I would really love to hear Ed's take on all of this. I'm fascinated by the concept of powering spells and constructs with 'life-force'.

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Jun 2010 22:11:21
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  02:14:21  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Sage, the moving-your-mind-into-constructs lore that I know about was something Ed wrote for VOLO'S GUIDE TO ALL THINGS MAGICAL and then dropped from his turnover to make proper space for all the magic items Eric Boyd was doing such a superb job of detailing and updating. Like becoming a lich, the various methods were all procedurtes involving several new spells (in the same way that Nulathoe's Ninemen is a "special" spell for preparing undead). Again, we await Ed's lore-sharing . . .

love to all,
THO
Neato! Thank you milady. And 'tis interesting that you mentioned Volo's Guide to All Things Magical... because I was actually thinking that lore like this probably should've been included in that tome.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  03:46:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Hoondatha, your queries have all gone off to Ed. Re this one: "3) From the phrasing, Ed seems to think Halruaa would be the fairly clear-cut winner. As I've always thought Thay had a rather significant population advantage, not to mention slaves and centuries of experience in warfare with its neighbors, I'd be interested to hear his reasoning behind this. Obviously Halruaa has the edge in cohesion, both in a stable monarch and fewer evil/backstabbing wizards, but would this be enough to offset Thay's numbers?"
I have these comments:

Yes, Ed definitely thinks Halruaa would win (I know this from discussions about where Thay DIDN'T DARE put trade enclaves). Yes, they're numerically inferior to Thay, but (from my peeks at Ed's private, never-published notes) the Halruaans have far more magic (spells and accomplished practitioners of the Art who are used to experimenting rather than "casting under orders"), far more magic items, and far more Netherese battle-magic (large-scale spellwebs and flying constructs and "blast-globes" [I don't know precisely what Ed meantr by blast-globes, but that's what he had written down in what I did see]) long hidden away and "secured" by family patriarchs and matriarchs), that they could hurl at any serious threat to Halruaa.
In short, once Halruaa was alert, the Thayans wouldn't know what hit them.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 28 Jun 2010 03:49:32
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1962 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  04:27:21  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
blast globes
think glass like globes in appearance that when you chuck them at yon army of skeletons it goes boom and blows up bone heads.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
777 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  04:28:07  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
I think that the putting ones mind in a construct
would have to be similar in application to the
3.x spell that allowed a mage to "awaken" a construct.
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  06:22:55  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
To Sage and Wooly, I would point out that Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, itself of likely dubious canonicity, did have a red mage at the academy of transfiguration who transferred his consciousness into a golem (more to allow himself to work his magic forge, which his golem body's resistance protected him from, than for any agelessness it might have provided).

And to echo sfdragon, blastglobes are referenced in the original game as well, being grenade-or-greater level explosives, a crate of which was capable of clearing out a rockslide in a mountain pass.

Which brings me to a query, actually.

What is Mr. Greenwood's stance on the canonicity of the video games? According to the Forgotten Realms wiki, Baldur's Gate, the video game, is technically canon through its novelizations, which I would suspect to be true of any of the games which have been similarly adapted.

But what about the ones that haven't? Did Myrkul canonically create a spirit eater curse in Rashemen to sustain his existence outside the Crown of Horns, only to be obliterated by that same curse? Did Waterdeep actually come under siege by Mephistopheles himself?

I always obsess over canon in the games I run, so it's something I've always wondered.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.

Edited by - GoCeraf on 28 Jun 2010 06:26:27
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  10:05:27  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

To Sage and Wooly, I would point out that Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, itself of likely dubious canonicity, did have a red mage at the academy of transfiguration who transferred his consciousness into a golem (more to allow himself to work his magic forge, which his golem body's resistance protected him from, than for any agelessness it might have provided).

And to echo sfdragon, blastglobes are referenced in the original game as well, being grenade-or-greater level explosives, a crate of which was capable of clearing out a rockslide in a mountain pass.

Which brings me to a query, actually.

What is Mr. Greenwood's stance on the canonicity of the video games? According to the Forgotten Realms wiki, Baldur's Gate, the video game, is technically canon through its novelizations, which I would suspect to be true of any of the games which have been similarly adapted.

But what about the ones that haven't? Did Myrkul canonically create a spirit eater curse in Rashemen to sustain his existence outside the Crown of Horns, only to be obliterated by that same curse? Did Waterdeep actually come under siege by Mephistopheles himself?

I always obsess over canon in the games I run, so it's something I've always wondered.

Good question. The Wailing Death in Neverwinter is canon though, referenced in GHotR. So it makes me ask about the rest of the game.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000