Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2010 :  22:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I have a request for Ed that might be "over the line," but I'd really love it if Ed could in some future Realms fiction include a description of what it feels like to be hit with a hostile spell. (Magic STARTING to affect you, "from the inside.") Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2010 :  22:51:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Blueblade, I don't think that's over the line at all. First person, you mean?
I'll send your query off to Ed!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  01:40:50  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Okay, crazy question time. I have in a storyline
a alignment changed deepspawn spewing out elves.
Now, these elves are obviously not normal. Do other
elves feel through the "communal empathy" or through
the Weave that these elves aren't elves born naturally,
or due they touch the "communal mind" or the elves
and the Weave in the same way that natural elves?
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  02:58:00  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message
Hello Ed and friends of the Realms,

I have been working on a large campaign centred around the city of Calaunt and surrounds (The Vast), and I am curious know more about Calaunts rulers, the Merchant Dukes.

Q.1 - When and how did Bellas' Band gain control of Calaunt?

Q.2 - The FR Adventures source book (2E), states that some of the members are of NG alignment which seems to conflict with Calaunts reputation of being a fey place controlled by greedy evil adventurers. I have considered changing those alignments but the mix can make for some very interesting ideas. Is there conflict between the Merchant Dukes?

I'd be most grateful if these questions can be answered. Thankyou :)
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2010 :  22:30:06  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
Hello Ed, THO, scribes.

I hate to add to what must be Ed's already staggeringly vast workload, but 'tis a small one
I just wondered if there are some herbs, plants or roots with magical properties that would grow exclusively in The High Forest?
If you have too many of them, a few would suffice

-Stig-
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  01:46:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed's wildly busy but I'm firing off your posts to him, and he's been acknowledging receiving them.
Yes, Auzoros, Ed confirms that those alignments are correct and that there is conflict among the Merchant Dukes. Details to follow when he can get to them (he's on the home stretch of an Elminster novel right now!).

althen artren, Ed says:
those deepspawn-produced elves would function normally and wouldn't be obviously recognizable as "odd." However, in the same way that you might well become suspicious when holding four or five apparently genuine $20 bills that have the exact same serial number, or confronting four or five elves who are PERFECTLY IDENTICAL, there is always the chance of someone "smelling a rat." Figuring out that a deepspawn involved might not be easy, however. Remember, the spawned elves don't know they're different; they're not "conspirators keeping a shared secret."

Jakk, confirmation from Ed: the shalarin are Steven's creations, not Ed's. Ed likes them, but had no hand in crafting them.

So saith Ed. More coming in his next e-mail...
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 02 Jun 2010 01:48:06
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  05:26:34  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

<snip>he's on the home stretch of an Elminster novel right now!<snip>

Everyone be quiet and let the man finish! There'll be plenty of time after the novel's done!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  07:54:20  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

<snip>he's on the home stretch of an Elminster novel right now!<snip>

Everyone be quiet and let the man finish! There'll be plenty of time after the novel's done!

LOL...how can argue with that. Go Ed!!

And thank you Hooded One
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  15:38:21  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Dear Dreamy Lady THO?????.....Braceldaur?????? Flooded Forest???? Hmmmmmmm smoooch smoooch.......

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  16:20:29  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hey, now! WE don't have to be quiet. We just ask the lovely Lady Hooded not to shuttle our questions off to Ed quite so swiftly or frequently.
Let them pile up here, instead. After all, we do have this lovely thread for just that reason.
And perhaps, just perhaps, this might be the right occasion to flirt wXXX er, ask THO to answer more queries herself.
Questions posed to her, I mean.
Like this one:
Have you tried any other FRP rules systems over the years besides D&D? Has Ed tried any of them in the Realms? Or are rules so subservient to unfolding story that it hasn't really mattered?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  16:23:48  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
I agree with Blueblade. Let the questioning proceed, with THO at the fore!
Dear Lady, do you ever dabble in computer games (I'm thinking now of the games bought and installed on "your" computer, and played alone, rather than online play)?
If so, what would YOU want to see in the way of a Realm-based game of that sort? What's your "dream game" in terms of style of play, areas/settings covered, protagonists and antagonists?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  16:26:05  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Well, I've got a much simpler one:
THO, is Ed a farmer? I've heard some talk of it, but having a little familiarity with farming, I don't see how he could have the time to farm AND produce the huge flood of books, game products, short stories, yadda yadda. Oh, yeah, AND have a day job behind a library desk.
Inquiring minds want to know everything, as usual...
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2010 :  16:29:47  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Glad you mentioned Ed and libraries, Malcolm.
I have a question: are any lurking readers of, or posters in, this thread Ed's co-workers at the library, or past co-workers, or participants in his library D&D campaigns?
Obviously, you're only going to pipe up if you want to, so I don't think this is prying overmuch.
I just want to know more about these library mini-campaigns Ed used to run (the Company of the Stag, the Company of the Unicorn). Cormyr and the Dales used to see a lot of visiting novice adventurers.
Oh, and Waterdeep, too, I think.
I'd love to read some posts here, and when Ed surfaces, get his reactions/responses!
LL
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2010 :  00:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I played in one Ed-DM'd library campaign, years back, at Brookbanks . . . and I THINK the Knights started as a Don Mills Library campaign, Ed's wife even sitting in to play Jhessail for a bit.
THO? Ed?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2010 :  02:55:01  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Auzoros

Hello Ed and friends of the Realms,

I have been working on a large campaign centred around the city of Calaunt and surrounds (The Vast), and I am curious know more about Calaunts rulers, the Merchant Dukes.

Q.1 - When and how did Bellas' Band gain control of Calaunt?

Q.2 - The FR Adventures source book (2E), states that some of the members are of NG alignment which seems to conflict with Calaunts reputation of being a fey place controlled by greedy evil adventurers. I have considered changing those alignments but the mix can make for some very interesting ideas. Is there conflict between the Merchant Dukes?

I'd be most grateful if these questions can be answered. Thankyou :)

I'd like to add one more question if I may.

In converting Iritar "the Dark" to 3.5E, im curious to know if he has taken on a prestige class and if so which one? Finally, what level (CR) would he be in the year 1372 DR?

Ok that's it for me. Thank you!!!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2010 :  03:24:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Auzoros, your additional question is off to Ed.
Blueblade, you're quite correct. Although some of the Knights are played by some of Ed's original players (of Company of Crazed Venturers fame), the group of PCs (and their players) that later called themselves the Knights of Myth Drannor began play at the Don Mills Library all those years ago, with Ed's wife Jenny playing Jhessail for a few sessions (Jenny worked at that library branch at the time) before bowing out to, yes, WORK (she'd been using her supper hours to play, and her bosses rescheduled her suppers to make that impossible, bless their hard hearts).
Ah, but it's late and I still have work to do. So does Ed, though he tells me he just wrote a "fun little fight scene, in the streets and by night, of course" in the new book (presumably the new Realms novel that we know has Elminster in it).
So adieu for now, all!
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 03 Jun 2010 03:25:44
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2010 :  09:34:10  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Ed and/or THO and/or others,

Prompted by THO in another scroll, I bring my question(s) here. What follows is a list of well known, yet ill defined, Realmsian words and terms (trust me I have searched, Googled, cajoled and even met with SageTime with these). Ed, I "simply" require confirmations and/or additional definitions of the following 'Realmspeak':
  • armsman” – Common:- a guard or soldier of low rank

• bladesharp” – Common:- a feeling of unease

• blandreth” – Common:- a three-legged, metal cooking pot

• blurf” – Common:- ?

• coin” – Common:- money or currency?

• crawhorn” – Common:- ?

• crazed-wits” – Common:- a madman

• fancy-tale” – Common:- “throwing the whole hog” (an unbelievable tale)?

• farscry” – Common:- magical surveillance from beyond sight limits

• festhall” – Common:- essentially a brothel where minstrelsy and feasting occurs, but also used as a house for bathing, clothes-washing and repair, or relaxing

• fielding” – Common:- something other than “fielding” an army or some such?

• finesmith” – Common:- a smith who produces “finework”?
  • Scribe rjfras gave me a great quote out of Dragon #70 for this one, so Ed needn't bother unless he wants to.
  • great blandreth” – Common:- a larger “blandreth” that can also be hung by chains from a tripod or on a frame (for example, if it is not “standing” over a dug-down fire pit)

• handful of years, a” – Common:- ?

• high-coin” – Common:- high-paying, highly-paid, or expensive

• lackspell” – Common:- a derogatory term for a weak, novice, or sloppy wizard

• lackwit” – Common:- a dull or witless person; a fool

• light stone” – Common:- ? (could possibly be “light-stone”)

• low-coin” – Common:- the opposite of “high-coin”?

• mad-wits” – Common:- same as “crazed-wits”

• mage of power” – Common:- a senior or experienced wizard

• mageling” – Common:- a junior or inexperienced wizard; could this be synonymous with a “lackspell,” or is it as scribe Knight of the Gate mentioned to me that one is derogatory, while the other merely condecending?

• moon-witted” – Common:- same as “crazed-wits”? (at least apparently according to Code of the Harpers: “Crazies (or as they're known in the Realms, "moon-witted"...”)

• painquench” – Common:- healing

• short name” – Common:- a shortened version of a name, used as a nickname

• slayknife” – Common:- an assassin?

• spellwork” – Common:- the result of, or something requiring, the use of magic

• swordwork” – Common:- fighting with a sword; the handling of a sword for combat purposes

• underpriest” – Common:- a low ranking cleric in a temple; the term is based on perception, not necessarily correct reality

• upperpriest” – Common:- a high ranking cleric in a temple; the term is based on perception, not necessarily correct reality

• ward” – Common:- magical protection of some kind? (not the term for the areas in Calimport, I have that already)

• wildblade” – Common:- a general term for an adventurer

• If any sages/scribes can help, I ask that replies be directed at this scroll (or PM me) so as not to clutter up this scroll.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 07 Jun 2010 08:42:06
    Go to Top of Page

Markustay
    Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
    15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2010 :  22:20:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
    Though some seem self-explanatory, and others I don't understand your need for defining (coin?), I think there is a subtle difference between 'crazed' and 'mad' wits.

Crazed-wits seems to be more a temporary condition - brought on by grief, anger, battle-madness, etc...

Mad-wits, seems to me anyway, more of a permanent condition.

However, the end result is the same.

Edit: looking at 'Moon'-witted now... that seems to be more like crazed, but even more subtle. I would think (just my opinion here) that that version is caused by something unnatural - magic or what not. It could also be applied to someone who has fallen in love (isn't love supernatural?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jun 2010 22:24:01
    Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
    Senior Scribe

South Africa
    729 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2010 :  08:10:51  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
    At the risk of 'clutter', let me just quickly respond here for clarity...
    quote:
    Originally posted by Markustay

Though some seem self-explanatory, and others I don't understand your need for defining (coin?)

Self-explanatory or not, these terms have not been 'officially' defined in any source (including the 30 odd sourcebooks I have–and have searched through) I could get my hands on. Some (all those without a behind) have been 'unofficially' defined or corrected by THO from her notes, but I still need an "Ed says it's right", to use as a citation for the Glossary (linked in my signature). To that end:
    quote:

Kyrene, if I were you, I'd just ask Ed in his thread.

Remember, for Realms purposes, Ed = a citation.
    love,
    THO
    A term like "coin" is asked for since the Glossary should be as inclusive as far as I can humanly make it.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Markustay

I think there is a subtle difference between 'crazed' and 'mad' wits.
    Perhaps, but I defer to THO on that one:
    quote:

I can tell you from my Realms experience that... "crazed-wits" is correct but a singular term (plural would be "they're all crazed-wits") [[with "mad-wits" as an equivalent]]

Therefore, perhaps to re-iterate, if any sage/scribe other than Ed or THO have any 'official' definitions and/or corrections and/or citations for those terms in the above list, please let me know via the scroll I linked to above (or PM). Any conjecture is also welcome (via those channels). Now, since that is off my chest, let me add another sheaf to the groaning stack that is the outstanding “Ask Ed”s...

• stonemaiden” – Common:- “Sharantyr dropped her stonemaiden to the ground” (Hand of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• maiden’s stone” – Common:- “Sharantyr dashed the maiden’s stone across the man’s snarling face” (Hand of Fire by Ed Greenwood)

• Can Ed tell us what type of weapon a stonemaiden/maiden’s stone (it's clear from the context they are the same thing) is, as used here by Sharantyr?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms

Edited by - Kyrene on 04 Jun 2010 08:17:54
    Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
    Learned Scribe

France
    201 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2010 :  11:42:13  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
    Hello Ed and THO !

I just read "The ring of Winter" wrote by James Lowder.

When the story starts, Artus Cimber explore a ruin in Cormyr, not far of The Stonelands. We are told that it is a Mulhorand ruin.

How that is possible ? Nevertheless, Mulhorande is far away of Cormyr...

Have we any way to know more about this ruin ? What could it be ?

Thanks you in advance,
    Volo

Edited by - Marco Volo on 04 Jun 2010 20:17:21
    Go to Top of Page

Zireael
    Master of Realmslore

Poland
    1190 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2010 :  18:51:33  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
    Edit option is here for a reason.
    And I mentioned in your scroll that it looks like Netheril ruins. Ancient? Check Little-known? Check Magical? Check. Guess it was a typo in the novel.
    As for the other questions... let's wait for Ed...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
    Go to Top of Page

Markustay
    Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
    15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2010 :  20:02:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
    Imaskari outpost used to spy on Netheril?

At that time, the Mulan people were slaves to the Imaskari, and it stands to reason that quite a few of them may have been assigned to that undesirable task, so far from home. They may have built a small chapel to their gods, or had idols or other religious items in their quarters, hence leading explorers to come to the conclusion that it was Mulhorandi in origin.

I had more here, but I think it more appropriate for Ed to reply.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
    Learned Scribe

France
    201 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2010 :  07:06:30  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
    James Lowder himself has corrected my question on an other topic :

quote:
    Artus finds an artifact from Mulhorand in the ruined keep in the Stonelands, but the keep itself was not built by Mulhorand.

So my question move : This ruin couldn't be the "Forgotten Keep" indicate on most of Cormyr's map ? A sort of Netheril ruin...

Edited by - Marco Volo on 05 Jun 2010 07:07:21
    Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
    Senior Scribe

USA
    804 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2010 :  21:28:19  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
    I don't THINK so. I seem to recall Eric Boyd, at a GenCon seminar quite a few years back, saying that the Forgotten Keep was something else, that hadn't yet been published.
    Which of course would mean it's now NDA.
    BB
    Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
    Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2010 :  17:26:10  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
    Dear Ed and THO,
    Your humble servant crawls up to your boots, raises his eyes (looking up the legs of THO, inevitably, and blaming human nature for doing so), and asks timidly:

More teasers for ELMINSTER MUST DIE! ? Please?
    Pretty pretty PLEASE?

Thanks!
    Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2010 :  23:36:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
    Heh. Well, Malcolm, while you're down there....
    Seriously, I've nudged Ed about this, but he's just finishing up the LAST CHAPTER of a forthcoming Realms book, so I expect a delay in his replying.
    His wife has been VERY ill, and Ed's been playing nurse as well as all of his usual life duties. Sigh.
    love,
    THO
    Go to Top of Page

Bakra
    Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  13:13:58  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
    quote:

Heh. Well, Malcolm, while you're down there....
    Seriously, I've nudged Ed about this, but he's just finishing up the LAST CHAPTER of a forthcoming Realms book, so I expect a delay in his replying.
    His wife has been VERY ill, and Ed's been playing nurse as well as all of his usual life duties. Sigh.
    love,
    THO

Please give Ed and his wonderful wife our love.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
    (Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
    Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
    So saith Ed. <snip>
    love to all,
    THO
    Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
    Senior Scribe

Australia
    388 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  14:02:58  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message

ditto.......

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
    Go to Top of Page

arry
    Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
    317 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  14:42:05  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message

likewise . . .
    Go to Top of Page

Ruul
    Seeker

USA
    64 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  20:17:14  Show Profile  Visit Ruul's Homepage Send Ruul a Private Message
    I just read the Elminster Must Die teaser at the back of Circle of Skulls. Now that I'm totally psyched for another Elminster novel I gotta wait until August!
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  Topic Locked
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000