Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  19:38:05  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ohhh, Jakk, you DO love charging right at NDAs in set-teeth challenges, don't you?

He is a little like Don Quixote in that regard, isn't he? Always tilting at NDAs for the [hope of the] greater good.


Yes! Kyrene gets it! Kyrene, if we ever meet in person, I shall have to buy you a beverage of your choice.

I have a rather Spartan (as in, Leonidas) mind-set when it comes to choosing my battles... I'll take the challenge over the easy win any day, which is probably the biggest reason I've stopped complaining about the Spellplague. Complaining is easy; reverse-engineering and assembling an alternate path is the far greater challenge, and I'm having a great deal of fun with it.

Oh, and while I'm touching on the post-Spellplague Realms in Ed's scroll: Ed, if I haven't said it before, Laerakond is brilliant! Inserting it into my otherwise-unplagued Torilian geography was probably the easiest decision I've made in my whole rebuilding of my Realms, particularly with the excellent advice from yourself and Markustay on doing so.

One more thing that popped up in musings regarding Mystryl's Chosen... I know they're still officially untouched, but a scroll regarding the Srinshee elsewhere on the site made me wonder why I hadn't included her along with Larloch, Ioulaum, and Halaster in my original list... my speculation is that she stayed more sane than those three as a result of being a Chosen of the Seldarine as well as of Mystryl... my question is another simple yes-or-no query, as I've found I have the best luck with them :

Are there more than four of Mystryl's former Chosen surviving in the Realms as of 1373DR?

Yes, another windmill to tilt at... onward, Rocinante!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30340 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  00:26:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Sian

Relatively easy question here ...

How far north do we have to go to get to Polar Circle ... Great Glacier?, Spine of the World? ... or?


Dang, my FR Interactive Atlas hasn't been reinstalled since my laptop crashed. Wooly? You got yours up and running?



Sorry, nope. It's not something I use all that much, so I've gotten out of the habit of automatically installing it. I think the last time I installed it was three or four years ago, to help someone else who had an issue installing it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  00:50:16  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Sian

Relatively easy question here ...

How far north do we have to go to get to Polar Circle ... Great Glacier?, Spine of the World? ... or?


Dang, my FR Interactive Atlas hasn't been reinstalled since my laptop crashed. Wooly? You got yours up and running?



Sorry, nope. It's not something I use all that much, so I've gotten out of the habit of automatically installing it. I think the last time I installed it was three or four years ago, to help someone else who had an issue installing it.

I'd dust off my copy in order to check, but the FRIA doesn't usually play all that well with SageOS.

You could use some of the 2e printed maps of the region though. As I recall, one or two had a legend with an accurate enough map-scale.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  02:14:48  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Hello! I was wondering if in the Realms, there are rare colors of mithril and other metals like gold. I have a character that has a mithril shirt made of gold mithril, and was curious if this would exist in the Realms (and where, please), or if it would have to be found elsewhere on the planes. And where would a person find rose gold, white gold, etc? Have coins ever been made out of these different colors of gold by any kingdom? Thank you for your time.


colored gold is usually made by combining the gold with other metals

These are some notes i've collected on that subject actually for my d&d game:

Color of gold

Mainly, Gold appears to be metallic yellow. Gold leaf can be beaten thin enough to become translucent. The transmitted light appears greenish blue, because gold strongly reflects yellow and red. Gold readily creates alloys with many other metals. These alloys can be produced to increase the hardness or to create exotic colors (see below).

Because of the softness of pure (24k) gold, it is usually alloyed with base metals for use in jewelry, altering its hardness and ductility, melting point, color and other properties. Alloys with lower caratage, typically 22k, 18k, 14k or 10k, contain higher percentages of copper, or other base metals or silver or palladium in the alloy.

Copper is the most commonly used base metal, yielding a redder color.

Eighteen carat gold containing 25% copper has a distinct, though not dominant, copper cast, creating rose gold.

Fourteen carat gold-copper alloy is nearly identical in color to certain bronze alloys.

Blue gold can be made by alloying with iron. Blue gold is more brittle and therefore more difficult to work with when making jewelry.

purple gold can be made by alloying with aluminium, although rarely done except in specialized jewelry.

Fourteen and eighteen carat gold alloys with silver alone appear greenish-yellow and are referred to as green gold.

White gold alloys can be made with palladium or nickel.

White 18 carat gold containing 17.3% nickel, 5.5% zinc and 2.2% copper is silver in appearance. Alternative white gold alloys are available based on palladium, silver and other white metals), but the palladium alloys are more expensive than those using nickel. High-carat white gold alloys are far more resistant to corrosion than are either pure silver or sterling silver.

The Japanese craft of Mokume-gane exploits the color contrasts between laminated colored gold alloys to produce decorative wood-grain effects.
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  02:29:12  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Hello ED and THO...

I was wondering about a theme that exists in almost any fantasy realm/world, and that it a Fountain of Youth, but I have never heard or read about anything similar in Faerûn? So does said fountain exist and if yes, then where?



There is a legend of a "fountain of youth" mentioned in the Lands of Intrigue book rumored to be in the Forest of Mir.

The Wellspring Endless: Legends tell of a crystal-blue spring that surfaces amid a ring of white stones, and this is the Wellspring Endless. To drink from the pool is to live forever, regain one's youth, or forever relive nightmares while your body remains in a stupor. The pool remains undiscovered.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  06:19:56  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rjfras

There is a legend of a "fountain of youth" mentioned in the Lands of Intrigue book rumored to be in the Forest of Mir.

The Wellspring Endless: Legends tell of a crystal-blue spring that surfaces amid a ring of white stones, and this is the Wellspring Endless. To drink from the pool is to live forever, regain one's youth, or forever relive nightmares while your body remains in a stupor. The pool remains undiscovered.



Funny... I was just looking at that reference earlier today while researching Myth Dyraalis (for another Ed question); so, Ed, is there anything more you can tell us about the Wellspring Endless, or is it also NDA? Mostly just a point of curiosity; it would be nice to be able to place it on a map... particularly a certain marvelous piece of cartography being assembled by a fellow scribe here at the 'Keep...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30340 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  06:51:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Yeah, but then those who Read All and Know Too Much (quoting an older Realms sourcebook, there) would know exactly where it was!

Seriously, I think something like that should be up to each DM -- just like it's effects.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  07:10:43  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yeah, but then those who Read All and Know Too Much (quoting an older Realms sourcebook, there) would know exactly where it was!

Seriously, I think something like that should be up to each DM -- just like it's effects.

I'm inclined to agree. It's really an aspect of the Realmslore that works best according to the individual whims of the DM, I think.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  07:38:05  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Another question, if I may. How would parents in Cormyr view their child becoming a paladin? And how would parents of the nobility (especially a father that was a retired Purple Dragon Knight and a mother that's a cleric of Torm) view the fact they have a son that's a paladin? Would they be upset, or is it something to be proud of and celebrate?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
654 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  07:38:23  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Sian

Relatively easy question here ...

How far north do we have to go to get to Polar Circle ... Great Glacier?, Spine of the World? ... or?


Dang, my FR Interactive Atlas hasn't been reinstalled since my laptop crashed. Wooly? You got yours up and running?



Sorry, nope. It's not something I use all that much, so I've gotten out of the habit of automatically installing it. I think the last time I installed it was three or four years ago, to help someone else who had an issue installing it.



Mine is up and running, and unless there's a hidden layer somewhere that I cannot spot, there's no indications of latitude in the FRIA. What I do have is a doctored version of the world map in the Forgotten Realms Atlas, that puts the arctic circle north of Icewind Dale, so definitely north of the Spine of the World.

I have a vague recollection of a long discussion on time zones and latitudes, either on the old Realms-L list, or on these boards. Ah, there it is - end of 2004, early 2005, I seem to recollect? Sage?

Club Secretary of the Dragons on the Hill RPG Club of London, UK: http://dragonsonthehill.co.uk/.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  08:14:16  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

I have a vague recollection of a long discussion on time zones and latitudes, either on the old Realms-L list, or on these boards. Ah, there it is - end of 2004, early 2005, I seem to recollect? Sage?
There's bits and pieces, both here and on the REALMS-L. I've compiled most of it already, but the most relevant bits are:-
quote:
"And I may just take you up on that offer of running calculations! I must admit that in running the Realms, I’ve just used the “mental map” comparison of the continental United States silhouette Jeff Grubb put into the Old Gray Box versus the Sword Coast Heartlands, and applied the (politically distorted) time zone differential, because I “know without thinking” how many hours “behind” TSR in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, and WotC in Renton, Washington, were from me in Ontario, Canada, and most of the portal jumps or teleports in the ‘home’ Realms have either been relatively short (from point to point within the Dales or within Cormyr, for instance), or between Cormyr or the Dales and Waterdeep or its immediate environs (often atop Maiden’s Tomb Tor)."
And:-
quote:
3.13. Does Toril have time zones?

From: Trent Raley

Toril

* Circumference = 23,400 approx
* 24 time zones
* Axial tilt is ~ 19-25 degrees
* Prime Meridian is Myth Drannor
* Other time zones are based on meridian lines of globe function in Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas (two per square).
* Time zones are 975 miles wide.

Nit-pick -- that is 975 miles wide at the equator of course. This will dwindle down to zero as you approach the poles.

And Bryon Wischstadt added:

You should have been a Luka's Bar during GenCon when we worked this out! (I took notes) :) Something Trent didn't mention (we're co-DMs) is that with gates transporting the user instantly (as ::ahem:: *most* do) we got to thinking about adding another bit of realism to the game. We wanted to know what time of day it was when the party arrived in their new destination halfway across Faerun. From the player's perspective, they step through a gate mid-morning and arrive at a place that is still dark... this is a nice cue to the players that they have moved quite a distance. (They don't know the destinations of the gates) As you can see it's quick and relatively simple--add 2 hrs per grid on the atlas--and you'll end up with something kinda cool from both the DM and players' perspectives. As Trent said "Hope this helps"... Enjoy!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  09:34:52  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Another question, if I may. How would parents in Cormyr view their child becoming a paladin? And how would parents of the nobility (especially a father that was a retired Purple Dragon Knight and a mother that's a cleric of Torm) view the fact they have a son that's a paladin? Would they be upset, or is it something to be proud of and celebrate?



Really. Purple Dragon and a cleric of Torm... that warrants no questions. I bet they'd be excited.
As for the overall - I guess the reaction would be similar. My idea is some/many of Purple Dragons are paladins. Who said they can only be straightforward fighters?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  10:50:17  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Another question, if I may. How would parents in Cormyr view their child becoming a paladin? And how would parents of the nobility (especially a father that was a retired Purple Dragon Knight and a mother that's a cleric of Torm) view the fact they have a son that's a paladin? Would they be upset, or is it something to be proud of and celebrate?



Really. Purple Dragon and a cleric of Torm... that warrants no questions. I bet they'd be excited.
As for the overall - I guess the reaction would be similar. My idea is some/many of Purple Dragons are paladins. Who said they can only be straightforward fighters?



Yes, really. The reason I asked was my old DM and I had a debate about the matter. His take on it was that no parent wanted their child to become a paladin because of the fact most never made it to 30, and lived such a rough life. He said that my character Joran would be an embarassment to them. This topic led to many discussions/debates about the matter, and he mentioned he'd read somewhere that his view was correct. He could never remember where, though. That's why I'm asking, as I'd prefer an official answer from Mr. Greenwood about this. Haven't played under that DM in years, but I'd still like to know for my own peace of mind.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 16 May 2010 05:43:18
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  11:48:17  Show Profile  Send The_Silversword an AOL message Send The_Silversword a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Sian

Relatively easy question here ...

How far north do we have to go to get to Polar Circle ... Great Glacier?, Spine of the World? ... or?


Dang, my FR Interactive Atlas hasn't been reinstalled since my laptop crashed. Wooly? You got yours up and running?



Sorry, nope. It's not something I use all that much, so I've gotten out of the habit of automatically installing it. I think the last time I installed it was three or four years ago, to help someone else who had an issue installing it.



Mine is up and running, and unless there's a hidden layer somewhere that I cannot spot, there's no indications of latitude in the FRIA. What I do have is a doctored version of the world map in the Forgotten Realms Atlas, that puts the arctic circle north of Icewind Dale, so definitely north of the Spine of the World.

I have a vague recollection of a long discussion on time zones and latitudes, either on the old Realms-L list, or on these boards. Ah, there it is - end of 2004, early 2005, I seem to recollect? Sage?



Mayhap this will help? honkin' big link

Mod edit: cast shrinky link

I survived the Great OTTer Purge of 2013 and all I got was this stupid sig.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 May 2010 17:20:49
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  14:07:31  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage  Click to see Sian's MSN Messenger address Send Sian a Private Message
not really ... the angle on it is tricky to work with

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3074 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  17:05:09  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Another question, if I may. How would parents in Cormyr view their child becoming a paladin? And how would parents of the nobility (especially a father that was a retired Purple Dragon Knight and a mother that's a cleric of Torm) view the fact they have a son that's a paladin? Would they be upset, or is it something to be proud of and celebrate?



Really. Purple Dragon and a cleric of Torm... that warrants no questions. I bet they'd be excited.
As for the overall - I guess the reaction would be similar. My idea is some/many of Purple Dragons are paladins. Who said they can only be straightforward fighters?



Yes, really. The reason I asked was my old DM and I had a debate about the matter. His take on it was that no parent wanted their child to become a paladin because of the fact most never made it to 30, and lived such a rough life. He said that my character Joran would be an embarassment to them. This topic led to many discussions/debates about the matter, and he mentioned he'd read somewhere that his view was correct. He could never remember where, though. That's why I'm asking, as I'd prefer an official answer from Mr. Greenwood about this. Haven't played under that DM in years, but I'd sill like to know for my own peace of mind.



It's really a case-by-case scenario. Much like today, if a child tells their parents (s)he is going into the Marines, the parents may react all kinds of different ways.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  17:13:15  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
I have a question for Ed and THO if she has anything she can add.

Can you tell us anything else about the Sacred Hexad besides what has been mentioned which is just who the five are?

Are there any groups or villages or areas that follow the Hexad or is it just one-off followers here and there?

Is there a symbol to represent the five? Or special colors worn by followers and/or clergy?

Are there clerics of the Sacred Hexad or are they clerics of one of the five and pay homage to the other four?

Who grants divine casters their spells? Do the deities share the task or do they divide it up somehow? ie one grants say healing type spells, another summoning spells, etc.

Is there a dogma or general way of life for the Hexad's followers or do followers just follow the dogmas for each of the five? How does the pacifism of Eldath meld with the fight taken by those of Mieliki and Silvanus to those who harm the forest and its occupants?
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  21:32:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by rjfras

There is a legend of a "fountain of youth" mentioned in the Lands of Intrigue book rumored to be in the Forest of Mir.

The Wellspring Endless: Legends tell of a crystal-blue spring that surfaces amid a ring of white stones, and this is the Wellspring Endless. To drink from the pool is to live forever, regain one's youth, or forever relive nightmares while your body remains in a stupor. The pool remains undiscovered.



Funny... I was just looking at that reference earlier today while researching Myth Dyraalis (for another Ed question); so, Ed, is there anything more you can tell us about the Wellspring Endless, or is it also NDA? Mostly just a point of curiosity; it would be nice to be able to place it on a map... particularly a certain marvelous piece of cartography being assembled by a fellow scribe here at the 'Keep...

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yeah, but then those who Read All and Know Too Much (quoting an older Realms sourcebook, there) would know exactly where it was!

Seriously, I think something like that should be up to each DM -- just like it's effects.

I'm inclined to agree. It's really an aspect of the Realmslore that works best according to the individual whims of the DM, I think.



Funny... I had come to much the same conclusion on my own, and was stopping by to un-ask the question (yes, I know it's too late for that, but at any rate to inform Ed that I no longer seek an answer for said question).

quote:
those who Read All and Know Too Much

Yes... that particular group. I'd forgotten about them; they're not a problem in the group I game with, and yes, I know how lucky I am.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 15 May 2010 21:35:32
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  21:34:59  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:
3.13. Does Toril have time zones?

From: Trent Raley

Toril

* Circumference = 23,400 approx
* 24 time zones
* Axial tilt is ~ 19-25 degrees
* Prime Meridian is Myth Drannor


Which begs the question: Does this have any effect on magic or culture? Does Myth Drannor have (more) importance due to being the Prime Meridian?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  00:01:39  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Another question, if I may. How would parents in Cormyr view their child becoming a paladin? And how would parents of the nobility (especially a father that was a retired Purple Dragon Knight and a mother that's a cleric of Torm) view the fact they have a son that's a paladin? Would they be upset, or is it something to be proud of and celebrate?



Really. Purple Dragon and a cleric of Torm... that warrants no questions. I bet they'd be excited.
As for the overall - I guess the reaction would be similar. My idea is some/many of Purple Dragons are paladins. Who said they can only be straightforward fighters?



Yes, really. The reason I asked was my old DM and I had a debate about the matter. His take on it was that no parent wanted their child to become a paladin because of the fact most never made it to 30, and lived such a rough life. He said that my character Joran would be an embarassment to them. This topic led to many discussions/debates about the matter, and he mentioned he'd read somewhere that his view was correct. He could never remember where, though. That's why I'm asking, as I'd prefer an official answer from Mr. Greenwood about this. Haven't played under that DM in years, but I'd still like to know for my own peace of mind.



It's really a case-by-case scenario. Much like today, if a child tells their parents (s)he is going into the Marines, the parents may react all kinds of different ways.



Ok, thank you Ashe. Though if Mr. Greenwood would like to add more, I'd definitely love to hear his insights and thoughts on the matter.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 16 May 2010 05:43:44
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  01:37:51  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Which begs the question: Does this have any effect on magic or culture? Does Myth Drannor have (more) importance due to being the Prime Meridian?
An interesting question for Ed, certainly.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2055 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  03:53:52  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
If its not NDA.

there is a discussion going on on the wotc boards about the scrbe of the damned, Lord Jergal.
namely his avatar, some have said he is an ascended mortal, so if that is true, what was he has a mortal, a Tri-keen? this is what he resembles mostly in his avatar, well taht or a spellweaver from previous editions.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power


My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3074 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  07:09:49  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

If its not NDA.

there is a discussion going on on the wotc boards about the scrbe of the damned, Lord Jergal.
namely his avatar, some have said he is an ascended mortal, so if that is true, what was he has a mortal, a Tri-keen? this is what he resembles mostly in his avatar, well taht or a spellweaver from previous editions.



I'll await Ed & THO, but here's some descriptions from Netheril: Empire of Magic (p. 40-42):
quote:
The Lord of the Dead was depicted as a wizened, insubstantial mummy of some ancient, alien race. His skin was gray and tightly strung across his frame. His bulbous, yellow, lifeless eyes and insectoid mandibles resembled a cross between a humanoid and a praying mantis. His ears and nose were barely distinguishable from his elongated skull. Most of his body was covered with an utterly lightless cloak that seemed to absorb the very atmosphere that enveloped it. He wore white gloves, which covered elongated, claw-like hands and forearms, and a shadow-filled gray cloak that rose and fell as if buffeted by an unseen wind. He clutched a thick scroll covered with intricate, incomprehensible script and a freshly inked quill in his hands.


quote:
Jergal could manifest as any undead creature, gaining all its innate abilities in doing so. He also sometimes took the form of a mortal man with a great white beard, who was bent with extreme age yet held intelligence and a driving energy in his sunken eyes. Jergal’s preferred manifestation was the sound of a heavy tome being closed with chilling finality. This manifestation often occurred upon the death of an exceptionally long lived mortal, particularly one who had extended his or her life with potions of longevity and like magical manipulations—such as the magic of an archwizard.


It doesn't mention if he ascended from a mortal or not.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  07:39:10  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

If its not NDA.

there is a discussion going on on the wotc boards about the scrbe of the damned, Lord Jergal.
namely his avatar, some have said he is an ascended mortal, so if that is true, what was he has a mortal, a Tri-keen? this is what he resembles mostly in his avatar, well taht or a spellweaver from previous editions.

Eric Boyd once suggested that Jergal was most likely a Spellweaver god of death that originated around the Lake of Steam area.

Additionally, Eric also said:-
quote:
I do like the idea of Jergal being a spellweaver death god, as I think it really fits the original picture of Jergal in "Prince of Lies." That said, I'm not sure when I'd have a chance to address the question in an upcoming Realms product one way or the other. Also, I'm not sure whether it would do Jergal justice to mention his origin without an associated plot exploiting it.

I guess my answer is ... I don't know for now, but I'll certainly consider it if I get the opportunity in the future. This will probably depend in large part on fan reaction on the various boards I read.
And here's another bit he posted on the Wizards boards several years ago:-
quote:
It has been speculated by more than a few Realms fans that the image of Jergal in Powers and Pantheons makes him look like an evolved or ascended thri-kreen. As such, several theories which try to explain this supposed connection have arisen here, and on other boards.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  09:13:11  Show Profile  Click to see Sandro's MSN Messenger address Send Sandro a Private Message
Hey Ed,

As a fellow Canadian, I'm wondering if you've been able to pull yourself from the Realms (and all your other commitments!) long enough to follow any of the NHL playoffs? Being from Ontario, I don't suppose you're a Canadiens fan, but what they've done so far has been absolutely astounding.

Cheers!

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000