Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  04:56:52  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
Can you share tips and advice on writing stories ???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 28 May 2010 04:57:39
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  05:11:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Can you share tips and advice on writing stories ???
Ed has actually touched on this in previous replies. So while you're waiting for any new information he might provide on this, I'd recommend you also search through the "So Saith Ed" archives for prior tidbits Ed has shared about the process of writing and working on Realmslore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  16:10:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well said, Sage. I passed your request on to Ed, sfdragon, and he replied:

With pleasure. However, that's a way-huge topic. So...what sort of stories? (Fantasy?) Or do you want general "work habits" tips? Or the business side of things? Or how * I * do it? Or the Realms, specifically? Or--?

So saith Ed, asking for clarification. (If you want all of those things answered, that's okay, too, but it will take a while, and come in the form of several replies.) Ed's been writing professionally for well over forty years, and is working on (I believe) his 185th book right now . . .
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 28 May 2010 16:17:38
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  16:49:12  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO.
Any more teaser tidbits for ELMINSTER MUST DIE! that either of you can let slipXXXX share with us?
That excerpt has me mightily intrigued. I'm sure, from reading Ed, that the novel is broader in scope than the conflict featured in that short excerpt. I know every publisher has secrecy rules, but . . . anything more you an give us? Anything at all?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  22:10:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Back from the abyss again, this time to chime-in on a rather sore subject for me.

First, Abeir-Toril is NOT Earth. No matter how many comparisons we like to make between the two, or how many gods have cross-polinated (many of whom may not have originated on the D&D version of Earth either), or how many gates we can find linking them. The Realms are connected to MANY worlds, and perhaps some if IT'S culture and/or deities have migrated in the other direction. This is why you find things like cows and chickens on nearly every fantasy world (although they could be striped cows and purple chickens).

That being said, SECOND: Our laws, values, mores, and religous 'sins' have NO BEARING on the Realms what-so-ever. What may be considered a sin by one of Faerūn's MANY sects may be considered acceptable and perhaps even preferred by another.

THIRD: The Realms are set during a medieval period - some cultures are 'Ancient' by our standards, where others are border-line Renaissance. In any event, it was considered acceptable back then for relatives to marry, most especially among the nobility and royalty. Just how many 'princes' do you really think are hanging around for some princess to date? When you are forced to have 'relations' within a certain class-structure, the higher-up one goes, the less choices become available. Also, women were considered PAST breeding long before they hit 30, so marrying girls of 12 or 13 (or younger!) was common place. Once again, our modern values should not be applied, nor should these things shock anyone - its history.

So, given that all these 'taboo' things occurred on our real world (and still do in many places), and given the more educated (read:civilized) level of folks in the Realms (compared to our own Medieval period), and also given that FR never had a Catholic church with its crusades and Inquisitions and witch-hunts, the level of sexuality and nearly complete lack of hang-ups about such things in Ed's world makes PERFECT SENSE.

I wish folks would STOP thinking in terms of 'right' and 'wrong' in the Realms - it isn't Earth... thank God(s) for that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 May 2010 23:29:42
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  22:48:08  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
sfdragon: I was actually lucky enough to attend a convention (Ucon, in Ann Arbor, Michigan) with Ed as the featured speaker and sat in on a seminar he gave on "Bringing Fantasy Worlds to Life" both as a writer and a DM. It was great, both illuminating and really, really funny. I recorded it, and listen to it every now and then when I need something uplifting, because, let's face it, Ed's just that great a storyteller. I'd be happy to share it, if Ed gives his blessing (I figure he'd be the one who had copyright), but it's a 28 mb file, so not possible to be emailed. Perhaps Candlekeep could host it?

Also, iirc, the very first answer Ed gave in this scroll, back in 2004, was about a similar topic. You might want to take a look at the very first Page 1 and see if that helps.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  23:38:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Hoondatha, Ed remembers that UCon very fondly. The university's old, storied luxuries pleased him, the funky university city eateries, ditto, and the people most of all (the added payoff for him being visits with Calye and Troll, and a get-together of a lot of his Realms friends [plus a chance to really meet Paul Kemp for the first time] at the home of Eric Boyd. The home was a dream for a gamer, Eric's family was great to meet, the con was fun and its staff was great, Ed got a chance to shop for gaming stuff and enjoyed buying minis and dice and rulebooks, Ed remembers you sitting in on the game session he did, and it was all "great" as far as he was concerned.
And he doesn't mind in the slightest if you share that recording with anyone.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 28 May 2010 23:39:31
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  01:05:03  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Back from the abyss again, this time to chime-in on a rather sore subject for me.

First, Abeir-Toril is NOT Earth. <snip>

That being said, SECOND: Our laws, values, mores, and religous 'sins' have NO BEARING on the Realms what-so-ever. What may be considered a sin by one of Faerūn's MANY sects may be considered acceptable and perhaps even preferred by another.

THIRD: The Realms are set during a medieval period - some cultures are 'Ancient' by our standards, where others are border-line Renaissance. In any event, it was considered acceptable back then for relatives to marry, most especially among the nobility and royalty. Just how many 'princes' do you really think are hanging around for some princess to date? When you are forced to have 'relations' within a certain class-structure, the higher-up one goes, the less choices become available. Also, women were considered PAST breeding long before they hit 30, so marrying girls of 12 or 13 (or younger!) was common place. Once again, our modern values should not be applied, nor should these things shock anyone - its history.

So, given that all these 'taboo' things occurred on our real world (and still do in many places), and given the more educated (read:civilized) level of folks in the Realms (compared to our own Medieval period), and also given that FR never had a Catholic church with its crusades and Inquisitions and witch-hunts, the level of sexuality and nearly complete lack of hang-ups about such things in Ed's world makes PERFECT SENSE.

I wish folks would STOP thinking in terms of 'right' and 'wrong' in the Realms - it isn't Earth... thank God(s) for that.

Thank you, MT! One less rant for me to be responsible for! And to comment on MarkusTay's last point: The fact that Toril isn't Earth is a big part of why I love it so... Toril, that is.

On which note... thank you again, Ed, for the Realms and for sharing it with us.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 29 May 2010 01:07:39
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  02:08:07  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk
Does anything canon (and not NDA) exist regarding the location of the Sea of Corynactis? Or is this another of Steven Schend's "loose ends"?

I'm not positive on this but I seem to remember a blip about it's location in Grand History of the Realms. The year marks that accompany most of the major events to let you easily move forward and back are absent from each of the Shalarin Passings if I recall correctly. I believe it was stated/theorized in one of the notes that the Sea of Corynactis was on the far side of one of the other continents, maybe Maztica.

Again this is purely from memory I loaned my copy to a friend who wanted to read it recently and maybe I'm thinking of something else but someone could check it.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  03:02:22  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Bravo, Markustay! Well said! (Jumps up and down, applauding)
VERY well said!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  03:05:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I may just be old-age, but I remember this being brought-up recently, and it was stated (somewhere) that the Sea of Corynactis is possibly on Abeir.

Of course, Mr. Schend did not have that in mind - it was a 'loose end', but one that works rather well in the new scheme of things.

I'm nearly 100% positive it wasn't Ed who made the off-hand comment - he is the last person to set anything in stone in a 4e world (except in an official artical, where he is being paid to do so). IIRC, it was either Brian or Steven - more likely Brian - but it really could have been anyone, my memory being what it is these days. Maybe even George in regards to the GHotR.

But I am sure someone did suggest it, though; I remember that I rather liked the way that worked out.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 May 2010 17:08:09
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  04:35:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

sfdragon: I was actually lucky enough to attend a convention (Ucon, in Ann Arbor, Michigan) with Ed as the featured speaker and sat in on a seminar he gave on "Bringing Fantasy Worlds to Life" both as a writer and a DM. It was great, both illuminating and really, really funny. I recorded it, and listen to it every now and then when I need something uplifting, because, let's face it, Ed's just that great a storyteller. I'd be happy to share it, if Ed gives his blessing (I figure he'd be the one who had copyright), but it's a 28 mb file, so not possible to be emailed. Perhaps Candlekeep could host it?

Also, iirc, the very first answer Ed gave in this scroll, back in 2004, was about a similar topic. You might want to take a look at the very first Page 1 and see if that helps.

Have you thought about contacting some podcasters to see if they would host it for you? Here's a list of some podcasters that might be able to help (I'd recommend 3.5 Private Sanctuary, Atomic Array, Wandering Geek, or RPG Countdown as they seem to be the more popular ones...)

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 29 May 2010 04:36:03
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  04:41:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Merrith

quote:
Does anything canon (and not NDA) exist regarding the location of the Sea of Corynactis? Or is this another of Steven Schend's "loose ends"?

I'm not positive on this but I seem to remember a blip about it's location in Grand History of the Realms. The year marks that accompany most of the major events to let you easily move forward and back are absent from each of the Shalarin Passings if I recall correctly. I believe it was stated/theorized in one of the notes that the Sea of Corynactis was on the far side of one of the other continents, maybe Maztica.

Again this is purely from memory I loaned my copy to a friend who wanted to read it recently and maybe I'm thinking of something else but someone could check it.

You are correct. Page 36 of the printed Grand History of the Realms:

quote:
–1509 DR
The First Shalarin Passing:
The obyrith lord Dagon, eldest of Those Who Sleep Below, sets in motion his plan to control the depths of Serōs. The first wildtide portal opens, and the shalarins arrive within Serōs from the Sea of Corynactis, their home on the far side of Toril, west of Maztica. Immediately attacked by the magically attuned Emerald Eye [–1524, –1506] and the madmen Kyron and Essyl, the shalarins lose more than 17 percent of their number. Tivaan, the Dukar orders, and Humbar all rush to the aid of the shalarins and quickly gain powerful allies.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  06:08:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Merrith

quote:

You are correct. Page 36 of the printed Grand History of the Realms:

quote:
–1509 DR
The First Shalarin Passing:
The obyrith lord Dagon, eldest of Those Who Sleep Below, sets in motion his plan to control the depths of Serōs. The first wildtide portal opens, and the shalarins arrive within Serōs from the Sea of Corynactis, their home on the far side of Toril, west of Maztica. Immediately attacked by the magically attuned Emerald Eye [–1524, –1506] and the madmen Kyron and Essyl, the shalarins lose more than 17 percent of their number. Tivaan, the Dukar orders, and Humbar all rush to the aid of the shalarins and quickly gain powerful allies.

As I recall, that's an slightly expanded/modified bit from the timeline of Sea of Fallen Stars. 'Twas even included in the old PDF of Grand History. However, the 1509 DR entry in the printed GHotR includes a specific mention of the Sea of Corynactis for those events.

Edited by - The Sage on 29 May 2010 06:11:06
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  06:29:26  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Heya. A query for Mr. Greenwood.

How are mental disorders (or conditions, quirks, etc.) interpreted in the Realms? Are there schools of psychological study? How would relatively mundane conditions such as Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or Asperger Syndrome be seen, either by common folk or medical professionals, in general? Are all such conditions labeled under "madness," is there any differentiation, and does your average man or woman or child of the Realms accept a nonmagical source for these conditions?

Thanks.

All the best.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  17:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
How does Ed handle requests by his longtime players to "try something new" in the Realms? New characters, a new location, perhaps an incident in the past? (I mean an intended short-run "side-campaign," not a change in the main campaign.) Or have such things never come up?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2010 :  17:34:38  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Oooh. Jumping on BA's question and adding an amplifying one: how does Ed treat playtests? TSR in the old days or more recent WotC ones (if any)? Are they one-shot "never never land" sessions, apart from the Realms, or do the events "happen" in Ed's main campaign. I recall hearing about the old Fell Pass module being requested by players and run by Ed, with Ed saying it was a case of "be careful what you wish for"...
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  01:35:08  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I was talking to an old friend of mine yesterday, and he told me that he'd met Ed at a convention in Melbourne a (long) while ago, and played in a game he DMed there. My friend had this box of cards (I believe TSR released some box set of cards related to DnD, something other than Spellfire or whatever the TCG was called - sorry for being vague on this, but I can just barely remember it myself and searching online hasn't yielded any helpful clues), of which he had Ed sign the Elminster card.

He tells me that at some point between then and now, they became misplaced. He thinks a certain someone in his life at the time (he didn't mention any names, but reading between the lines, I think it was his ex) took the box and a bunch of his comics and sold them without telling him about it. (And knowing what I know about his ex, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if she did it deliberately to spite him.)

Is there anything we can do to replace this card for him?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  03:24:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,

I was talking to an old friend of mine yesterday, and he told me that he'd met Ed at a convention in Melbourne a (long) while ago, and played in a game he DMed there. My friend had this box of cards (I believe TSR released some box set of cards related to DnD, something other than Spellfire or whatever the TCG was called - sorry for being vague on this, but I can just barely remember it myself and searching online hasn't yielded any helpful clues), of which he had Ed sign the Elminster card.

He tells me that at some point between then and now, they became misplaced. He thinks a certain someone in his life at the time (he didn't mention any names, but reading between the lines, I think it was his ex) took the box and a bunch of his comics and sold them without telling him about it. (And knowing what I know about his ex, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if she did it deliberately to spite him.)

TSR did like three or four runs of trading cards in the early nineties. They were sold in packs, and also as a complete set. The Elminster card was in the first run. As I recall, the artwork was the cover of the Shadowdale book from the 2E FRCS.

There's at least three auctions for the first 750 card set on eBay right now, ranging from $10 to $30.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  04:07:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,

TSR did like three or four runs of trading cards in the early nineties. They were sold in packs, and also as a complete set. The Elminster card was in the first run. As I recall, the artwork was the cover of the Shadowdale book from the 2E FRCS.

There's at least three auctions for the first 750 card set on eBay right now, ranging from $10 to $30.

I'd haunt some of the more popular trading card auction sites as well... like those for the old 90's X-Men series. I often see a few of the old TSR cards coming up for offer and, sometimes, at respectable asking prices too.

Edited by - The Sage on 30 May 2010 05:33:28
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  04:18:01  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I may just be old-age, but I remember this being brought-up recently, and it was stated (somewhere) that the Sea of Corynactis is possibly on Abeir.

Of course, Mr. Schend did not have that in mind - ti was a 'loose end', but one that works rather well in the new scheme of things.

I'm nearly 100% positive it wasn't Ed who made the off-hand comment - he is the last person to set anything in stone in a 4e world (except in an official artical, where he is being paid to do so). IIRC, it was either Brian or Steven - more likely Brian - but it really could have been anyone, my memory being what it is these days. Maybe even George in regards to the GHotR.

But I am sure someone did suggest it, though; I remember that I rather liked the way that worked out.

I really like that idea... not the first time I've said that about one of MarkusTay's ideas, I know, but if the idea's good... ...in my Realms, Abeir is on the other side of Toril's orbital plane, similar to John Norman's Gor... and if the Sea of Corynactis is on Abeir, it would suggest that the shalarin's "gods" are in fact primordials, which would explain why they couldn't follow... and also why the shalarin abandoned their worship.

By way of a question for Ed (and thus keeping this post on topic)... were the shalarin your creation, Ed, or are they all Steven's fault? They're one of the more cryptic races in the Realms, which is probably why they interest me so much. Also, if the shalarin came from you originally, is there anything more you can share about them that is neither published nor under NDA?

As always, many thanks to you both, Ed and milady Hooded One.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 30 May 2010 04:20:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  05:59:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd haunt some of the more popular trading card auction sites as well... like those for the old 90's X-Men series. I often see a few of the old TSR cards coming up for offer and, sometimes, at respectable asking prices too.

I had all of the X-Men cards, too...

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  08:41:36  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I think the important thing about the card was that it was signed by Ed. I wonder... if I were to get those cards (which seems easy enough if they're up on e-bay for sale), could I somehow get Ed to sign the El card for my friend? I'd be willing to pay postage to get it over there and back. (Yes, this friend is real... this is not for myself! )

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  08:58:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I had all of the X-Men cards, too...

I still do -- Series I and II. I even had a signed ultra-foil hologram card of Magneto that was signed by Jim Lee. Can't find it now, of course, after multiple moves. But it was once the prized piece of my collection.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  16:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message
Was the Alashar Crywinds question adressed to the correct sage of Candlekeep?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  17:06:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

Was the Alashar Crywinds question adressed to the correct sage of Candlekeep?

Ed *might* be able to share a little info -- NDAs pending, of course. Though I'd recommend you also ask on the Wizards boards. I'd imagine some of the 4e designers might be able to give you some perspective on her as well.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  17:14:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:

I really like that idea... <snip>

Considering that Abeir and Toril are really two 'halves' of the same world, it is easy to define that passage in the GHotR as being 'metaphorical'.

Not saying that's what it was, but they sure as heck missed a golden opportunity there, connecting the new Abeir concept with some older lore. In fact, nearly everything previously about the Shalarin points to them being from another world, so that GHotR entry almost seems counter-intuitive.

Edited by - Markustay on 30 May 2010 17:16:47
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  17:15:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.

Zireael, I concur with Sage: Ed MIGHT be able to provide some lore, but by all means ask elsewhere. Ed does have a huge backlog of questions, and it never hurts to cast your asking net widely.

Zandilar, I'm not sure just which Elminster card signed (there was a Promo Card for the original DRAGON cards, there were some specials, there were at least two Spellfire-game cards, and so on. I know Ed doesn't have copies of most of them. But I DO know that if a card reaches Ed by mail, he happily signs and returns it, without charging a fee or expecting anyone to pay for the return postage (a return ADDRESS is always nice ). So by all means . . . and if it doesn't turn up, just get me an address by PM or e-mail, and Ed will send something (e.g. a chapbook copy of his first Realms tale, which are the original, primitive Ed photocopy-and-staple affairs).

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  18:17:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Jakk, I believe the shalarin are all Steven's babies, not Ed's. I of course await confirmation from both esteemed creators, but I'm pretty sure.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2010 :  00:20:30  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Zandilar, I'm not sure just which Elminster card signed (there was a Promo Card for the original DRAGON cards, there were some specials, there were at least two Spellfire-game cards, and so on. I know Ed doesn't have copies of most of them. But I DO know that if a card reaches Ed by mail, he happily signs and returns it, without charging a fee or expecting anyone to pay for the return postage (a return ADDRESS is always nice ). So by all means . . . and if it doesn't turn up, just get me an address by PM or e-mail, and Ed will send something (e.g. a chapbook copy of his first Realms tale, which are the original, primitive Ed photocopy-and-staple affairs).

Excellent... Now to put my plan to surprise my friend in motion. *rubs hands together gleefully*

Where might I find a postal address for Ed? (I need to buy the card(s) first, and it might take some time for them/it to get here (from where ever they've been bought on e-bay), but I'll need that address eventually...)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000