Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  15:48:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Menelvagor, I bring you Ed's replies to your queries, thus:

Laeral's mind was affected by several "attacks" over the years (the best-known being the Crown of Horns/the mind of the god Myrkul; others remain as yet unrevealed, but were part of the endless proxy-battles between various deities; many gods of the Realms were strongly opposed to other gods having Chosen or the equivalents) that caused her to forget her status as a Chosen at various times.
BLACKSTAFF shows us one of her "reawakenings;" there were others.
And yes, Dove, Storm, and Laeral were aware of their "special" status (though not everything it entailed, as that changed over the passing years) in childhood, as shown in DARK TALONS FORBEAR THEE.
And in ELMINSTER IN MYTH DRANNOR, Symrustar IS dying, and knows it, and says so; Mystra is "rescuing" her soul/sentience/essence for a new existence as of Mystra's servants. In the conversation you mention, Elminster is referring to Symrustar losing her body, but not her essential self, telling her that the death of her body won't be the end of HER.
Things might not always be clear to the reader, but remember that these are instances of crisis, wherein the characters involved are highly emotional, and may not always express themselves as fully and clearly as, say, a teacher instructing students.

So saith Ed. Who, taxes set aside for a moment, is hard at work on something else Realms-related as I post this.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  15:53:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. To Jakk, this time, Ed makes partial reply:

Re. this: "2) Will we learn anything about these pyramids in the near future?"
Ed sends to me this:

I doubt it, I'm afraid. It's possible, but highly unlikely. Other matters are on front burners than elder lore of the Realms . . . unless that lore flowers again in the post-Spellplague Realms.

So saith Ed. Confirming what most of us probably expected, yes?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  16:24:18  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Thank you so much for the answers, Ed and milady. actually the answer about Syrumstar made me very happy. Because this quote: "Mystra is "rescuing" her soul/sentience/essence for a new existence as of Mystra's servants. In the conversation you mention, Elminster is referring to Symrustar losing her body, but not her essential self, telling her that the death of her body won't be the end of HER." implies/suggests (at least to me) Syrumstar's continued existence even after the Battle of Shadusk Glade.
EDIT: Another quick question about Syrumstar: What was the shape of the symbol she had on her stomach after being Chosen? I assume you couldn't describe it in the book for fear of accusations of inspiring demon worship, etc. but can you tell us here what was its' shape, or a more detailed description?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."

Edited by - Menelvagor on 31 Mar 2010 17:04:17
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  18:39:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring Menelvagor a swift reply from Ed:

The symbol on Symrustar's tummy is twofold: a personal mage-rune she'd used in the past, augmented by seven silver stars of Mystra.
For the rune, imagine two capital letter "R"s drawn back-to-back, with the one on the left flipped so its tail curves to the 5 o'clock position (instead of the 7 o'clock position of the tail of the unflipped "R"). The backstem or downstem of both Rs is shared, and its top, where the vertical stroke turns to curve outward and form the top of both Rs, is where Symrustar's belly button (a neat, centered, deep "innie") is located. Now extend that shared center vertical downstem twice as long as it should be, and you have the symbol. On her skin, it appears as a very deep blue, almost black.
Add the stars: identical many-pointed stars of silver, with the "long" points being vertical and the second-longest points being horizontal, all the rest of the "rays" being shorter, that overlie (are silver on top of the dark blue of the symbol) the rune. These seven stars are located as follows: one each at the top and bottom of the downstem, one at its intersection (where the lower arcs of the loops of both Rs touch the downstem), one at the end of both tails, and centered in both of the loops: thus, seven in all.

So saith Ed. Who hopes that word-picture is clear. Got it, all scribes?
Symrustar also has a tiny vertical point-down dagger tattoo, entirely "secular" in nature (non-magical), on the nape of her neck, that has a personal origin rather than a political, family, or faith-based one. Ask her to tell you about it some day.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  18:52:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. ANOTHER missive from Ed, who has taken a break from his taxes. This time, he replies to Kyrenes' query:
"Ed and/or THO and/or others,
quote:
Aurora’s Whole Realms Catalogue - Wines and Ales
Unless one dwells in Vaasa, the High Moor, or the glad halls of Evermeet, water consumption has proven consistently dangerous to health, as well as producing what the dwarfs term “sloshtomach.”
What is this “sloshtomach” and is it a dwarven Common or common Dwarven term?
Thanks in advance for your replies."
Ed says:

"Sloshtomach" is a bloated, faintly nauseous condition of long-term and cumulative water retention, wherein repeated drinking of water makes the stomach increasingly distended. The term is "dwarven Common;" that is, created by dwarves and added to the Common tongue through persistent usage.
The condition is quite rare, and is caused by tiny mold spores in some water sources that affect no creature native to the area (they grow up "used to them"), no one who drinks boiled water or water that's been carried in leather skins or oaken barrels for long (the spores react with wood and hide enough to neutralize these effects), and no one who consumes oils of any sort (including those still in raw vegetables) at the same occasion of consumption. Even among those who aren't protected by any of these factors, sloshtomach occurs rarely - - but dwarves and gnomes ARE more susceptible to it than other races, and consuming certain alcoholic drinkables seem to exascerbate it, so lots of dwarves "fear" it more than they really should, and tend to avoid drinking water whenever they can have treated water (ale) or stronger liquor instead. (Hence the mention of a widely-shared dwarven attitude in AURORA's.) It should be noted that this is almost never debilitating or seriously damaging; it affects mood more than anything else, as a dwarf who feels vaguely ill also tends to be more than vaguely irritated with the world around.

So saith Ed. Medical expert of the Realms, at your service.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  19:07:08  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
So what do Dwarves in the Realms call the 'Runs' THO?

Sorry I couldn't resist asking. Failed a will save...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 31 Mar 2010 19:08:58
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  20:15:15  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
'Symrustar also has a tiny vertical point-down dagger tattoo, entirely "secular" in nature (non-magical), on the nape of her neck, that has a personal origin rather than a political, family, or faith-based one. Ask her to tell you about it some day.'
Oooh! I'm asking! What's it about? Might it have any connection with those Honor Daggers I've queried about in the past (namely, why they're kept near the women's honor/virtue)? Or is it something else entirely?
Also, I'm not sure I understand Syrumstar's personal symbol. "with the one on the left flipped so its tail curves to the 5 o'clock position" - would that be our left, or her left? Is there any chance someone can draw/create such an image? If they're back-to-back, wouldn't the one on our left have to be flipped, anyway? And if so, wouldn't it's tail be in the 7 o'clock position?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  20:28:13  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Also, I'm not sure I understand Syrumstar's personal symbol. "with the one on the left flipped so its tail curves to the 5 o'clock position" - would that be our left, or her left? Is there any chance someone can draw/create such an image? If they're back-to-back, wouldn't the one on our left have to be flipped, anyway? And if so, wouldn't it's tail be in the 7 o'clock position?

The closest image I could find online (since I'm at work) is this. The R's are upside-down, but you should get the drift...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  20:41:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring once more the words of Ed of the Greenwood, this time in response to SOME of the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy-era Cormyr questions posed by Menelvagor back on January 19th (Page 5 of this thread).

Menelvagor: “And why did Aerilee go back to Silverymoon after what seems like a few weeks at the most (unless there's more time than I thought between the end of Swords of Dragonfire and the beginning of The Sword Never Sleeps)?”

Ed: Aerilee was an envoy from Silverymoon: by definition, an envoy is an “ambassador on a short state visit,” representing that city-state to Cormyr.

Menelvagor: “How many female Highknights are there in all of Cormyr during Azoun's time? What is their percentage of all the Highknights? And why does it seem that the two seen in the trilogy have both slept with Azoun? How many of the female Highknights have slept with Azoun?”

Ed: The number of Highknights was never very high, though it varies from date to date (because it’s a dangerous job with a hire mortality rate; they’re the James Bond-style “not-so-secret agents” of the Crown), and therefore the strength of female Highknights also varies. At times, there were less than a dozen. The percentage of female to male Highknights was usually 5 to 10 percent female (usually closer to 5). It seems as if the two seen in the trilogy have both slept with Azoun because they HAVE slept with Azoun. It’s one way of getting noticed or better-known to the King, and increasing his trust in you, after all - - and you don’t become a Highknight at all if you don’t deeply love Cormyr and its ruling family. As far as my records have it, only two other female Highknights have slept with Azoun, out of them all (and Azoun reigned for a long time, and during his lengthy reign there were over 120 female Highknights). No, he DOESN’T sleep with them as some sort of initiation ritual or test!

Menelvagor: “What exactly was the relationship between Vangey and Laspeera during this time? She seems not to completely trust him, although he trusts her? Why is that?”

Ed: Laspeera is the motherly second-in-command of the War Wizards, strict but just, and loved and respected by most War Wizards and many courtiers. She is NOT Vangey’s lover nor Azoun’s, and never has been, though she has “mothered” them both (held them, kissed them, comforted them, talked to them on many occasions and kept their secrets, even seen to their wounds). Vangey has covertly tested Laspeera’s loyalty on a number of occasions, and never found it lacking; he regards her as one of the few truly competent Wizards of War, whose judgement he can trust absolutely.
Laspeera, however, DOESN’T trust Vangey absolutely, because of two things: she can see how his long use of near-absolute power is corrupting him (he increasingly sees his opinions and desires for Cormyr as being THE ONLY RIGHT ways and future for the realm, and is less and less willing to entertain the views of others, and he increasingly sees the end as justifying the means: he can trample on ALL rights, laws, and personal feelings and aspirations as he manipulates everyone within reach to get his own way), and because she knows his loyalty is to the Dragon Throne and the stability of the kingdom, NOT to the Obarskyrs or a particular monarch (such as Azoun IV).
Laspeera believes that the Wizards of War must serve the ruling monarch of the day first and foremost, curbing him/her only when they trample on laws and rights (or avoid trampling only by passing new laws that “go too far”) and that no one person can or should decide the best future for the realm, or run roughshod over what is rightful getting there. Nobles and commoners may break what laws they can get away with to get what they want, but the government, with its vast rights and military and magical muscle, MUST hold itself to a higher standard.
In other words, Vangey is a “do anything to keep the realm strong” bad cop, and Laspeera is a “we are villains, not cops at all, whenever we break the rules, even if we do it to catch bad guys.” Laspeera thinks (rightly, from the point of view of a long line of monarchs and some of Vangey’s predecessors) that the Highknights or other personal agents of the reigning monarch are the only legitimate “outside the law” ways of keeping the Dragon Throne strong, and the far more powerful Wizards of War must stay lawful and act as a balance against the Highknights and other personal agents. She sees the Harpers as another useful part of this balance, whereas Vangey sees them as meddlesome enemies of the realm who should be frustrated, driven out, or even slain whenever it’s convenient to do so.

So saith Ed. Who will tackle more, he promises, when he has the time.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  20:49:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
You're right about Symrustar's symbol, Menelvagor. Ed switched to describing how it looked to HER, looking down at herself, halfway through, when he should have stayed with the viewpoint he started out with (yours and mine, if we were standing in front of Symrustar staring at her somehow bare stomach - - which is VERY flat, by the way - - and somehow surviving ).
So, staying with "our" viewpoint: Yes, there are two joined Rs, the curving tail of the "usual" one in the 5 o'clock position, and the curving tail of the flipped one in the 7 o'clock position.

And her nape-of-neck dagger has nothing to do with honor daggers, which are a way of defending a woman's honor by giving her a deadly little dagger with which to defend herself against rape, that's normally hidden under clothing but handy if anything gets torn away. (Yes, such a weapon can be used against a woman by an attacker who gets to one first, but part of the "art" of honor daggers is concealing their true nature, and sheathing them in places where they won't be immediately spotted or recognized, such as making their hilts garter-buckles, and their blades hidden behind the garters.) This information comes from Ed's notes AND campaign experience (we Knights have examined the corpses of more than a few murder victims, down in-game years of play).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  21:04:39  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Thank you so much, milady and Ed! These answers to my questions are as good as an Afikoman present! Which reminds me: Happy Passover!
Oh, and thanks to you too, Ashe. Of course, with the additional info, I can see it by myself.
Lastly, while I'm quite grateful for the information about Honor daggers, will we hear the story about Syrumstar's dagger tattoo, or is it NDA?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  21:07:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. I'm not sure. Ed didn't answer it right away, but I know he didn't "overlook" it. So it's either NDA or he's saving his answer for some reason. It might be a need to lore-check with someone else he knows is working on something . . .
In the fields of Realmslore, there are mysteries upon mysteries . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  21:14:09  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Okay... bit of free time. Is THIS what her symbol looks like?

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  23:52:15  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I have two questions inspired by recent lore answers from Ed. :)

Firstly, how common are tattoos amongst elves? And how do elves apply them to the skin? (Magically? or more conventionally?) What kinds of inks do they use? Does this differ between races?

Secondly, regarding Cormyr...

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
In other words, Vangey is a “do anything to keep the realm strong” bad cop, and Laspeera is a “we are villains, not cops at all, whenever we break the rules, even if we do it to catch bad guys.” Laspeera thinks (rightly, from the point of view of a long line of monarchs and some of Vangey’s predecessors) that the Highknights or other personal agents of the reigning monarch are the only legitimate “outside the law” ways of keeping the Dragon Throne strong, and the far more powerful Wizards of War must stay lawful and act as a balance against the Highknights and other personal agents. She sees the Harpers as another useful part of this balance, whereas Vangey sees them as meddlesome enemies of the realm who should be frustrated, driven out, or even slain whenever it’s convenient to do so.

Where does Caladnei stand in this regard? Is she closer to Laspeera in attitude, or Vangy? And does Laspeera trust her once Vangy's gone?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  02:13:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Ashe. Give me ten minutes or so to hack into Facebook (for some reason, it's blocked from the computer I'm at now . . . and Ed tells me he can't access it right now, either (the log-in page just freezes). I'll get back to you.
Ahhh, advanced technology...more like magic than ever.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  02:22:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Zandilar, as it happens, both of your questions I can START to answer, because Ed's mentioned both of those topics in his notes, and in discussions with us (some of his players have talked a LOT about Vangerdahast and Azoun and Filfaeril and Caladnei and Laspeera with Ed, over the years).

Among elves, tattoos vary widely in how they're done. The "classic" old method among most elves was: berry-based dyes, burned into the skin with fire (on the fire-heated/half-melted needles of certain forest conifers). In more recent centuries, far more precise minor magics (cantrip level "hand fire" or "finger fire") replaced the physically-generated fires, and augmented the berry-based dyes ("inks"). Some elves even used modified spell inks. In the last few centuries, all sorts of elves have used all sorts of techniques.
Which DOESN'T mean that lots of elves have tattoos. Elven tattoos tend to be rare to unusual, small, and of flowing adornment in design, not " I love X" messages or large pictures - - and NEVER appear as multiple "skin as canvas" large-coverage art on an elven individual. I asked Ed to give me a better idea of the "look" of elven tattoos, and he referenced the "around one eye" adornments of the American boxer Mike Tyson. (And Ed has met Von D of HIGH VOLTAGE TATTOO fame, and so is visually familiar with all sorts of tattoos.)
Back in a moment with a starter reply re. Laspeera and Caladnei...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  02:30:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi. Back now (little real-world interruption there).
In the meantime, I've pinged Ed and he entirely supports and concurs with this answer of mine, calling it "spot on" - - note the tense of my words (that's due to where our personal Realms campaign planning is heading, right now):

Caladnei is almost identical to Laspeera in attitude, though (being an outlander) she's a trifle less patient than Laspeera with folk who try to use long-standing Cormyrean tradition against her (as opposed to laws).
She and Laspeera have fallen into trusting each other absolutely, a trust begun because Laspeera was perfectly willing to accept Caladnei being more ruthless and less lawful than she herself was, recognizing that the Royal Magician sometimes has to be (as the "last defender of the Dragon Throne").
Their trust has deepened because the two women have used magic to "meet" minds extensively on several occasions, sharing thoughts and seeing for themselves what the other person's mind is really like (and what they really think). It's more naked than most people ever care to get with another individual, and they've done it enough to really KNOW each other. So their trust really has become absolute.

There. So saith me (backed up by Ed).
Wheee! Now, to tackle Facebook again...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  02:38:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ashe: Yes! Ed got to your Facebook illo first, and tells me:

Perfect, except that the downstem ends in a point, and both "tails" of the Rs do, too. Also, the tails, instead of being "straight diagonals," should curve away from the downstem in smooth arcs - - something like the tails of the most recent logo of the (original) British version of the TV programme ANTIQUES ROADSHOW. (That logo is seen in an opening sequence in which the camera pans from a stately home lawn crowded with experts and queuing antique owners up into a sunlit, few-puffy-clouds blue sky, and the logo, animated, appears against the sun.)

So there you have it. From Ed and from Ashe (nice, swift work! Bravo!).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  07:50:24  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Why can't I be a facebook hacker? Which is my way of saying I can't access the artwork either. It tells me "This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page." Are you trying to correct it, Ashe? Or is it something else?
Also, another question for Ed: How do mages choose their personal symbol? Are there any rules (such as not taking the symbol of another mage, even if he's deceased)? What is the meaning of the symbol? What does Syrumstar's symbol (the double R) mean?

EDIT: And don't we deserve some more teasers? How about this: In celebration of the First of April, you'll give us several teasers, which some will be a trick, and some will be real.

Edited by - Menelvagor on 01 Apr 2010 07:53:37
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
729 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  12:25:09  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. ANOTHER missive from Ed, who has taken a break from his taxes. This time, he replies to Kyrenes' query:
So saith Ed. Medical expert of the Realms, at your service.
love,
THO

My lasting thanks, and "sloshtomach" has been added to the 'Realmspeak' list (I should be able to update again within a day or so). Bringing me to another of those place adjective vs. place adjective queries:
I know "Turmian" is used for the collective folk of Turmish (or at least it is in the FRCS), but upon scouring The Vilhon Reach (by Jim Butler and Ed) last night, I came accross "Turmishan".

Does "Turmian" also extend to Turmian work, study, beliefs, and customs, and to items of their making?
Is "Turmishan" just a more archiac version of "Turmian" that somehow fell out of favour (like the Luskar/Luskanite example you explained last time), or was "Turmishan" simply replaced by "Turmian" in printed material about Turmish? The reason I ask is that it is the saying "[As] Square as a Turmian/Turmishan's beard" that occurs in both books (FRCS and VR/VR-PG) that has me thinking it's most likely the latter.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  13:26:51  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Don't forget there's also, IIRC, Turmite, which is mildly perjorative. Alias uses it to be insulting in Azure Bonds.

Which reminds me: have we picked Ed's brain for other mildly derogatory terms for nations/regions/races/distinct groups (ie: akin to real-world "redneck" or "hick" in level of nastiness)? If we haven't, can Ed share some? If we have, can someone point to where it is, and then can Ed, umm, share some more?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  16:34:26  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Ed tells me the name of another Suzailan painter of note: Emmaera Drounlamn. This former coin-lass and tavern dancer now paints risque scenes of unclad ladies (akin to real-world Vargas or Olivia pin-up art) for far lower prices than a top-rank "toast of the nobles" limner. On the other hand, she paints on thin boards (that have a tendency to warp or rot, with the passing years), and many of her paintings are almost identical to many, many of her other paintings.
Ed promises more details when his taxes are done.
love to all,
THO

This made me wonder what other painters use as the foundation of a picture. Board, canvas or other things not available in the real world? Does this vary by region in the Realms?
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  16:35:19  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I havea Raunchy question, yes it is raunchy , just not dirty.
what was the worst smell your players ever had to ahve describe to them?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  16:42:17  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
What fascinating lore about 'honour daggers' Lady Hooded! Do you have any information about other hidden weapons (used by male or female) in the Realms?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  17:05:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
sfdragon, that's an easy one. In Ed's "home" Realms campaign, we found the dragon's lair "atop" Gauntulgrym (accessed from a crevasse high in the crag, and descending down into the dungeon). The dragon lairing there had died from poisoned weapon attacks launched by another band of adventurers. It had suffered dragon diarrhea, then vomited helplessly and copiously...and then died, its body slowly rotting, putreying, and sagging down into the chamber beneath its lair...along with its spew and wastes.
We slid down a dwarven drainage chute into that room....

I gag, just remembering Ed's description of it...
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 01 Apr 2010 17:05:23
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  17:18:00  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

Ashe: Yes! Ed got to your Facebook illo first, and tells me:

Perfect, except that the downstem ends in a point, and both "tails" of the Rs do, too. Also, the tails, instead of being "straight diagonals," should curve away from the downstem in smooth arcs - - something like the tails of the most recent logo of the (original) British version of the TV programme ANTIQUES ROADSHOW. (That logo is seen in an opening sequence in which the camera pans from a stately home lawn crowded with experts and queuing antique owners up into a sunlit, few-puffy-clouds blue sky, and the logo, animated, appears against the sun.)

So there you have it. From Ed and from Ashe (nice, swift work! Bravo!).
love,
THO

Ahh... more like THIS?

And, Menelvagor, it might be that I don't have you friended... the link above should work since it's on my twitpic account.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  19:14:39  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Thanks Ashe. Beautiful pic, I love it. I hope it's accurate.
More questions regarding elves: Did the House of Auglamyr survive the Weeping War? If so, what important information can you tell us about it?
I assume elves have tapestries/paintings depicting events that have happened in the past, including some of their ancestors/kin. But do they have tapestries/paintings of what could be considered traumatic events? For example, would the House of Auglamyr (assuming it survived) have a tapestry/painting of Syrumstar fighting Malimshaer? (I'm planning for my next campaign to get involved with the elves, especially regarding Myth Drannor, and I want to use these elements in the game)

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  21:18:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Two things:

Ashe, that second version of Symrustar's rune is PERFECT. Thank you!

Menelvagor, Ed says House Auglamyr did survive the Weeping War.

More later,
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2010 :  02:07:20  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Any truth to the talk that Circle of Skulls will be the last of the "Ed presents Waterdeep" series?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2010 :  03:48:06  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. To Jakk, this time, Ed makes partial reply:

Re. this: "2) Will we learn anything about these pyramids in the near future?"
Ed sends to me this:

I doubt it, I'm afraid. It's possible, but highly unlikely. Other matters are on front burners than elder lore of the Realms . . . unless that lore flowers again in the post-Spellplague Realms.

So saith Ed. Confirming what most of us probably expected, yes?
love,
THO

Expected, yes... pleased with, no. Any chance of this being one of the NDAs that gets pried loose, Ed? Aside from that (remote) chance, I have a simple yes-or-no question for you, if possible: has the Spellplague necessitated any change in the published Realms' version of those pyramids from your original intent for them? Even if so, I'm guessing the NDA on your original notes would still hold up...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000