Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2010)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 87

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  06:23:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone
[Who are Shaaan, and Maraunth Torr? Peers of Larloch, and Tam?

That would be Shaan the Serpent Queen

Cheers

Damian

She's always been one of my favourites. I did a write-up of her in one of the Candlekeep Compendiums. ED had a read before it got published and noted that I had made her "powerful" which he then said, was "as she should be".

-- George Krashos

Volume IV, to be specific. I remember that one in particular because not only was it interesting, but also because I feared I was being presumptuous in taking my (untrained!) red editor pen to the work of someone who'd already been published.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  07:41:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

2. There’s no such thing as electrically amplified music in the Realms, but magic is sometimes used to augment both thudding drum rhythms and “singing” or “wailing” wind-instrument music that can sound like a “weeping” or “searing” electric guitar. In terms of chanted or howled lyrics, loud choruses, “dark” chords, and a driving bass beat, the songs used by some orc shamans to inspire (“inflame,” some would say) orc hordes before battle is probably closest to heavy metal.
In Waterdeep and Amn, in the 1360s and 1370s, there’s a rise in a style of dance music performed in festhalls, clubs, and at revels that uses multiple yartings (guitars) played swiftly in harmony, plus high-pitched sung choruses and a driving beat, that sounds something like the Blue Oyster Cult hit “(Don’t Fear The) Reaper,” and for a score of years before that there have been “minstrel bands” performing for nobles and the wealthy up and down the Sword Coast that centered on dominant male singers that sounded rather like Ian Anderson of mid-period (War Child and onwards) Jethro Tull, but if you’re thinking “louder and heavier,” it’s orcs or nothing. :}
As for other real-world genres of music, or too-close soundalikes, be wary: the Realms is a medieval to Renaissance –level DIFFERENT WORLD than our Earth, so although you could probably point to specific Realms music and say “that sounds sorta like” ancient, or chant, or baroque, or “Celtic folk,” that’s just what it is: “sorta sounding like.”
Of course, none of this stops you from having characters in YOUR Realms campaign develop music that sounds EXACTLY like heavy metal, and even have priests of Gond develop electric instrumentation. Just don’t blame me if some of the lurching undead who come after your characters look like Ozzy or Slash or . . . :}

So saith Ed. Who even now is girding himself for battle with the taxman . . .

love to all,
THO
That's brilliant stuff, Ed. And, as always, your answers have prompted several new questions regarding my love of Realms music.

I want to research a few possibilities, first, before I get to them however.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  10:20:11  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Two more Chosen questions:
In Blackstaff, Tsarra asks Khelebn when was the last time so many Chosen (5 - El, Khelben, Laeral, Alustriel and Alvaerele) were last gathered, and he said that it was the closing of Hellsgate Keep. I thought of a greater gathering, with 10 Chosen - the ending of Elminster in Hell, with The Seven, El, Khelben and the Srinshee. This leads to the questions: Were there any other notable gatherings (not just a fun time when the Seven hang out together, or something) of many Chosen, and if so, what for?
In Farthest Reach, Storm mentions that El and the Knights of MD have gone off, and The Simbul has followed them, but before leaving, said something about the Srinshee. This makes it sound as if it is common knowledge that The Srinshee exists. Is that so? Or was it simply that a high elf lord and the lords of the Dales are privy to such information?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  11:09:53  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone
Thanks.
So what about Mr/Mrs Torr?

You maybe onto something there Brimstone, perhaps Maraunth is both at differing times of the day?

Just a thought

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  11:42:35  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Another qucik question: What information is there on the current location of the WarBlade, besides what was written in Grand History of the Realms?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  16:03:29  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Stand back, all, and watch Menelvagor slam head-on into an NDA!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  16:07:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I suspect Malcolm is correct, and the Warblade is NDA right now. I also know Maraunth Torr wasn't mentioned before HAND OF FIRE, and suspect Ed is saving him for a sometime-to-be-revealed purpose.
So there you go. We know Maraunth Torr is male and very powerful at the Art, but nothing more.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  16:12:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and a swift addendum for Menelvagor (Ed just came through with an e-mail), regarding this:
"Or was it simply that a high elf lord and the lords of the Dales are privy to such information?"
Ed replies:

It was simply that THAT PARTICULAR Dale lord is privy to such information, and that although all elves of that time and surface region of the Realms "know of" the Srinshee, THAT PARTICULAR high elf lord knows a little of her current existence and doings (whereas to many elves she's no more than a name from the past, of someone long unseen and presumably "gone").

So saith Ed. Adding little wisps of Realmslore to the great and growing edifice, daily.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  16:35:06  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Which leads immediately to the next question: Why are these particular lords privy to that info and know a little more of the Srinshee?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  05:30:03  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. I suspect Malcolm is correct, and the Warblade is NDA right now. I also know Maraunth Torr wasn't mentioned before HAND OF FIRE, and suspect Ed is saving him for a sometime-to-be-revealed purpose.
So there you go. We know Maraunth Torr is male and very powerful at the Art, but nothing more.
love to all,
THO

Interesting...

Thanks THO!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  10:40:57  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:

In Waterdeep and Amn, in the 1360s and 1370s, there’s a rise in a style of dance music performed in festhalls, clubs, and at revels that uses multiple yartings (guitars) played swiftly in harmony, plus high-pitched sung choruses and a driving beat, that sounds something like the Blue Oyster Cult hit “(Don’t Fear The) Reaper,”

In other words more or less like early days Byrds?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  14:53:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Jorkens, Ed says "Yes" in response to that.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  15:31:07  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Menelvagor, re. this: "Which leads immediately to the next question: Why are these particular lords privy to that info and know a little more of the Srinshee?"
I'm obviously not Ed or THO, but my guess would be that the Srinshee has been active in some way in the Dales, in locations both of these lords are concerned with/govern/are interested in, so they've in the past gone seeking "who did X, and why" and come up with/were informed by someone, that it was the Srinshee. So they know of her presence on the scene where others don't.
I may, of course, be COMPLETELY wrong.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  15:33:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well, that sounds good to me. Ed will know best, but I don't think that conflicts with Ed's "Tears So White," which is the only "what the Srinshee was up to, about then" published source.
We'll have to see what Ed says . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  18:48:53  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Another qucik question: What information is there on the current location of the WarBlade, besides what was written in Grand History of the Realms?

Erm... if by "current" you mean "between 1375 and 1385"... it should be (spoiler; highlight to show) in Myth Drannor... part of the Cormyr/Shadowdale/Anauroch mega-adventure trilogy is the return of the Warblade to Myth Drannor. The Artblade, on the other hand, is where we slam headlong into that big NDA wall...

Edit: added spoiler tags...

Edit: By way of another question for Ed, about the Srinshee in light of the above answer... I'm also interested in what she's been up to since disappearing with the Rulers' Blade in 666 DR... is there anything else you can share?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 29 Mar 2010 19:28:43
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  19:42:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Which leads to wonder if any of Mystryl's Chosen still live pre-spellplague?

The Lady Hooded One, ever the mistress of mysteries, once told us re: the fate of some of Mystryl's Chosen:-

" ... you tread into darkly perilous ground, approaching (gasp) a secret of the Realms that has been sitting in plain sight for lo these many years, just waiting for a brilliant scribe to pounce upon.

Heh-heh. Which is a grand way of saying Ed won't answer you directly. You'll have to wait (for some time) for a rather more public answer.

Heh heh heh.

love,
THO"

This post immediately grabbed my attention. Upon reading this for the third time, I was struck by a possibility... or three. (1) Halaster (we know what happened to Sammaster, and now that I see the names in print so close together, I'm struck by their similarity, but that's another matter...) -- maybe, as one of Mystryl's Chosen, his madness was induced by the death of his goddess in the Year of Sundered Webs. (2) Larloch - the big question here being, did he become a lich in order to avoid Halaster's madness, or did he lose his status as a Chosen upon becoming a lich earlier? (3) Ioulaum - this one's wide open.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  19:49:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Heh. Heh. NDAs are frustrating things from the inside, too. As it happens, I know far more than I can tell.
As for Ed, he knows LIBRARIES full of lore he can't tell. Imagine HIS frustration.
I wonder if he'll be able to cajole a loosening of NDAs at GenCon this year, to let slip a few hints and whispers...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  20:01:37  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One:
or a scene depicting any current royalty or the immediate parents of current royalty doing something humiliating (unclad, on their knees, being flogged or engaging in sexual acts in which they are the recipient rather than the dominant, for instance) would be considered in the worst of taste

Would that imply that if the current royalty were the dominant in this sexual act, it would not be 'in the worst of taste'?

This brings up an old question... is the identity of the author of "Filfaeril Bound and Willing" (I believe that's the title) still unguessed?

Edit: Re: THO's response: I'll take the staccato chuckle to indicate confirmation on three counts, thank you. No more need be said (or, likely, can be at this point... hopefully this is not a permanent state, however).

Edit: I share your hope for a loosening of NDAs... particularly around the Cormyr Lineage and, now, this great secret sitting in plain sight... I *do* wish I had my full lore library accessible to me at this moment...

Can Ed say approximately how *much* time we'll have to wait? Or is this dependent on publisher plans unconfirmed (or even unmade) at this point?

Edited by - Jakk on 29 Mar 2010 20:10:46
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  22:50:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Jakk, the author of "Filfaeril, Bound and Willing" is indeed still unguessed.
Yes, I believe you've interpreted my chuckles correctly.
And the NDA loosening depends on plans not yet finalized, and convincing arguments not yet put.
soft warm love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 29 Mar 2010 22:51:30
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  22:57:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed tells me the name of another Suzailan painter of note: Emmaera Drounlamn. This former coin-lass and tavern dancer now paints risque scenes of unclad ladies (akin to real-world Vargas or Olivia pin-up art) for far lower prices than a top-rank "toast of the nobles" limner. On the other hand, she paints on thin boards (that have a tendency to warp or rot, with the passing years), and many of her paintings are almost identical to many, many of her other paintings.
Ed promises more details when his taxes are done.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 29 Mar 2010 22:58:43
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  23:44:12  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Jakk, the author of "Filfaeril, Bound and Willing" is indeed still unguessed.
Yes, I believe you've interpreted my chuckles correctly.
And the NDA loosening depends on plans not yet finalized, and convincing arguments not yet put.
soft warm love,
THO

Thank you for all of that, milady... particularly the soft warm love, digital though it may be.

One last question on these matters, one for which I don't expect a direct answer (as I suspect NDAs will make one impossible anyway): to expand on my previous musings, here's what I think happened: Ioulaum saw the Fall coming (and survived the death of Mystryl by his transformation into his current form), Larloch survived Mystryl's death due to his transformation to a lich (which may or may not have been his plan), and Halaster went mad due to the death of his goddess. Just wink if I'm on the right track with this.

My question is a simple one: Is this the entirety of the "secret of the Realms that has been sitting in plain sight for lo these many years, just waiting for a brilliant scribe to pounce upon"... or is there more to it?

A second question comes to mind as well... if there is more to it, where in published material do we look for the rest of it? Mention of a title or titles is sufficient; I don't expect all of my detective work to be done for me, but it was interesting to go back over the old lore and track down the Spellplague predictors.

Edited by - Jakk on 29 Mar 2010 23:46:30
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  00:21:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Ed says I'm not allowed to wink, and he doesn't think I could manage two-thirds of a wink anyway.
And no, this matter is NOT that secret that's been sitting in plain sight.
Bwoohahahahaha, and so forth.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  00:25:41  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
OOOH! I think I have it! (And it took about ten minutes for this page to load, so my spontaneity is somewhat manufactured...)
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And here's one of the Ed tidbits... I particularly like this one because not only was it something that just randomly occurred to me one day, but because it's also an interesting angle:

quote:
To Wooly Rupert: when you post sentences like this one: “And though I can't think of any evidence to support it, it's not impossible that part of what Larloch is doing is containing something...” be aware that you are (ahem) VERY perceptive.

So... does this comment have anything to do with my previous speculation, or am I chasing wild geese again?

Edit: Apparently it's the wild geese, given your recent post; danged long wait times... hrmm... two-thirds of a wink... now I just have to puzzle out which two-thirds... This is fun... and I think I've figured out which two-thirds, but I'm not going to put forth any further speculation. Meh, who am I kidding...

Addendum: Actually, it should be fairly obvious to anyone who has the lore and does some research (like myself) or who knows the lore (like I used to, when I had time to read everything a dozen times over)... Larloch was transformed due to his own contingencies when the Weave failed with the Fall of Karsus, and so it must be my speculations on Halaster and Ioulaum that are correct.

I have one... er, two more questions that probably can't be answered by more than a simple "Yes" or "No" (if even that):

1) Have the origins and purpose of the pyramids under Ascore in the published Realms changed significantly from Ed's original intent?

2) Will we learn anything about these pyramids in the near future?

That's all; I'll go back to seething quietly over the injustice of bottled-up lore now. Well, no, not really... I'll probably just surf the other forums for a while, then finish tracking down my income tax stuff.

Edited by - Jakk on 30 Mar 2010 05:20:29
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  18:39:31  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO! I've got a couple of questions about an area I'm hoping to set my new game in.

Just after the War of the Devil Dragon, in 1370/1371 DR, how badly damaged was Tilverton and the land surrounding it?

What sort of population did Tilverton and the surrounding area possess just before that war, and what natural resources/trade goods was the area known for?

Are there any notable ruins, dungeons or other famous landmarks in the area as well?

Thanks in advance for any reply.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  19:06:57  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
From GHotR:

quote:
Mirtul 27, 1372
Aware of Cormyr’s preparations for an assault on the City of Shade, the Shadovars gather an army and march on Tilverton. During the ensuing battle, Vangerdahast releases a potent magical weapon against the Shade army. The interaction of this weapon with the Shadow Weave releases a spectacular surge of energy that utterly destroys Tilverton. All that remains of the city is a dark, concave space filled with shadows and flitting regions of deeper darkness.

I'd say that makes it pretty good for a 'retaking' as planned in Kingmaker.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  19:19:06  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk:
Erm... if by "current" you mean "between 1375 and 1385"... it should be in Myth Drannor... part of the Cormyr/Shadowdale/Anauroch mega-adventure trilogy is the return of the Warblade to Myth Drannor. The Artblade, on the other hand, is where we slam headlong into that big NDA wall...
<snip>
Edit: By way of another question for Ed, about the Srinshee in light of the above answer... I'm also interested in what she's been up to since disappearing with the Rulers' Blade in 666 DR... is there anything else you can share?

I meant the Artblade, of course. I was confused by the fact that getting back the Warblade is no fun - Fflar has Keryvian, and why would anyone want to replace him as Arms-Major? In fact, in my campaign I changed it so they would recover the Artblade (it makes more sense to replace Araevin, especially as he's not there from 1380-?), which caused my confusion.
And I believe I've asked about the Srinshee's activities as well, and the answer was: NDA (big surprise).

Well, let's get beck to our favorite pasttime of watching me slam into more NDA's, although I'm certain this question has been asked:
In Elminster In Hell, El shows Nergal a memory set in 1371 where
the new Mystra (Midnight) strips away all the 'great secrets he holds, secrets of her power'. Is there a chance we can be told what these secrets were, or an example of what they might be? And what was the effect on El? Could they possibly be restored? Might they appear in Elminster Must Die (I'm absolutely sure that one won't be answered)?

Edited by - Menelvagor on 30 Mar 2010 19:20:39
Go to Top of Page

saethone
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  20:21:26  Show Profile  Visit saethone's Homepage Send saethone a Private Message
Hello,

I have a question about the Elfblades of Cormanthor - the Warblade, Artblade, and Ruler's (or Crown) Blade, and I was directed here to ask. I know that they were created at the behest of the Coronal ~-4000 DR, but how were they made? They are all sentient weapons, were their sentiences imbued from living elves, or magical created? And if they were living elves, who were they?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
728 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  20:54:00  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message
Ed and/or THO and/or others,
quote:
Aurora’s Whole Realms Catalogue - Wines and Ales
Unless one dwells in Vaasa, the High Moor, or the glad halls of Evermeet, water consumption has proven consistently dangerous to health, as well as producing what the dwarfs term “sloshtomach.”
What is this “sloshtomach” and is it a dwarven Common or common Dwarven term?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  00:03:35  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by saethone

Hello,

I have a question about the Elfblades of Cormanthor - the Warblade, Artblade, and Ruler's (or Crown) Blade, and I was directed here to ask. I know that they were created at the behest of the Coronal ~-4000 DR, but how were they made? They are all sentient weapons, were their sentiences imbued from living elves, or magical created? And if they were living elves, who were they?

Thanks!

Oh, that's a fine question, and I'm interested to see what the answer is.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  15:10:03  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
A few more quick questions about Chosen:
In Elminster in Myth Drannor, when Syrustar is dying and becomes a Chosen, she says her life is ending. El answers that one life is slipping away, "but not all that is Syrumstar". Now it may be simply that I misunderstand the phrasing, but to me this implies that not 'all that was Syrumstar' remained, and some part was gone when she became Chosen. If that is so, what part? Why? And is this customary for Chosen? If not, what did El mean?
Lastly, about Laeral: In Blackstaff, we see a flashback where Khelben saves her by awakening her, making her realize she is Chosen so she uses Silver Fire. But Laeral was brought up by Elminster. And in Dark Talons Forbear Thee, it seems all three (Dove, Storm and Laeral) were aware of their nature as Chosen from childhood. What is the answer to this seeming contradiction?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 87 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000