Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Epic level Adventuring parties
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2009 :  05:49:55  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The only famous epic level adventuring parties that I hear about in the Realms is "the Seven" who took pout Orcus. Are there others? If so what are there stories?

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2009 :  09:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey jordanz,

There are few high-level epic adventuring parties in the novels as opposed to low/mid level adventurers. One reason may be that readers like to read about their heroes overcoming long odds and tough trials, and authors have more creative leeway when their heroes aren't too powerful. When you get up to the really high levels, every epic challenge starts to fall into several repeating themes and can become boring. Lower-level adventurers also offer a chance to grow and advance the group over a series of novels.

Another reason is that in the Realms most groups that reach such high levels usually break up and pursue separate interests, as they become powerful/famous/influential enough to settle down and affect dramatic changes in an area. The actions of the Seven, for example, brought about a dramatic change to the Bloodstone Lands, and while they reside in the same area, no longer go out on adventures like they used to.

Having said that, I can think of some adventuring parties in novels that are fairly high (or ended up pretty high by the end of the novels). None of them approach epic-level (high 20s or 30th lvl) but they all seem pretty powerful.

- The Companions of the Hall (Drizzt Do'Urden, Bruenor, Cattie-Brie, Wulfgar, and Regis) -> Paths of Darkness Series and The Hunter's Blade Trilogy, and The Transitions Trilogy

- Araevin Teshurr, Nesterin, Maresa Rost, Ilsevele Miritar -> The Last Mythal Trilogy

- Pharaun Mizzrym, Ryld Argith, Quenthel Baenre, Halissta Melarn, Danifae Yauntyrr -> War of the Spider Queen Series

- Erevis Cale, Drasek Riven, and Magadon -> The Erevis Cale Trilogy and The Twilight War Trilogy

Hope this helps!

Edited by - Aysen on 04 Jul 2009 10:01:50
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2009 :  17:58:47  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aysen, thanks for the explanation and it certainly makes sense. But I would think that in the long history of the realms there had to have been dire events that would have require nothing less thans EPIC level intervention.

I don't expect these events to be chronicled in minute detail but a reference or two would be interesting.

I'm talking about Demon Lord/Demi god level threats. The only other gathering of Epic level characters was during the time of troubles and the taking of Myth Drannor when Elminister and Khelben teamed up to battle these types of adversaries.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2009 :  21:05:09  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aysen

- Erevis Cale, Drasek Riven, and Magadon -> The Erevis Cale Trilogy and The Twilight War Trilogy

You forgot Jak! How dare you?

(yeah, I know that they weren't quite 'epic' when he was around...but cmon....it's JAK!)

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2009 :  04:18:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

Aysen, thanks for the explanation and it certainly makes sense. But I would think that in the long history of the realms there had to have been dire events that would have require nothing less thans EPIC level intervention.

I don't expect these events to be chronicled in minute detail but a reference or two would be interesting.

I'm talking about Demon Lord/Demi god level threats. The only other gathering of Epic level characters was during the time of troubles and the taking of Myth Drannor when Elminister and Khelben teamed up to battle these types of adversaries.

There's not a lot of them in existing Realmslore, because until 3E and the RSE of the week trend, the Realms wasn't about uberpowerful folk duking it out with the Fate of All That Exists hanging in the balance. It wasn't about the one big battle, it was about the hundreds of small conflicts and the thousands of plots.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2009 :  07:16:22  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, of those mentioned in Canon, the Nine, led by Laeral before she went naughty-naughty, probably qualified as "Epic-Level" (although their existence and disbanding pre-dates the introduction of the term "Epic-Level"). In the 1E and 2E terms, the Company of Crazed Venturers also qualified, probably.
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2009 :  08:12:31  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi again jordanz,

If you are looking for a series of novel where, literally, the fate of existence is at stake, you may have to go outside of the Realms and back to the gaming world of Greyhawk.

If you are familiar with the 1st Edition Dungeons and Dragons era, way back then Gary Gygax wrote a series of short novels involving Gord the Rogue. Gord starts as a thief, but by the end of the series has become an epic champion for neutrality, combatting threats on a multi-planar scale.

In these novels, especially the last ones, Gord and his companions have confrontations with darn near every classic demon lord in the Abyss, not to mention a few nihilistic deities. Quite a few godly artifacts are involved or tossed about as well.

For me its all a bit too much, but based on your response it might be worthwhile for you to look into them. Unfortunately, the novels were written about 20 years ago, so Amazon and used-book stores and businesses are your best bet.

Here's a link with all the titles and general info on the series:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gord_the_Rogue

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2009 :  16:56:56  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aysen,

Yes, I've read the Gord Series. I enjoyed the concepts and the characters, although the writing was not top notch. It does seems like Grewhawk had more high end adventures and characters.

I've heard of the NINE in reference to the Crown of Horns but cant seem to find any detailed info on the group itself besides Laeral. I've never heard of the Company of Crazed Venturers are they canon?
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2009 :  17:21:07  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
aye: their canon.

they are mentioned in the ghotr or the waterdeep splatbook.

a passing line though.....

even for from cormyr were canon

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2009 :  18:40:10  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aysen's second reason is why we don't tend to see adventuring bands of those exalted levels: in rising to such heights their members acquire personal responsibilities, allies and contacts, feuds and aims, so that only remarkable friendship and remarkable circumstances would keep a group together all those years.

But since a mid-level adventuring company can outmatch a lone 20th-level character, a 20th-level company would be one of the mightiest forces in Faerūn, and I suspect this is a hole in the power structure deliberately left for PCs.
quote:
I'm talking about Demon Lord/Demi god level threats.
Demon lords and demigods doing what? Threats to whom? This kind of stuff is conducted in the Realms through manipulations spanning years, not pitched battles.
quote:
I've never heard of the Company of Crazed Venturers are they canon?

They're the PCs of Ed's first Realms campaign! Shows how twisted recent Realms publishing has been that you hadn't heard of them. See City of Splendors etc.

Edited by - Faraer on 05 Jul 2009 19:08:22
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2009 :  21:28:45  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Demon lords and demigods doing what? Threats to whom? This kind of stuff is conducted in the Realms through manipulations spanning years, not pitched battles.

True but there are rare instances throughout realms history that did require direct "epic" level intervention. For example the Time of Troubles - when Elminster and Khelben fought a Demon Lord entity or the During the Myth Drannor wars when certain Chosen of Mystra teamed up up with High Elven mages versus the Army of Darkness.

I was just interesting in finding about more of the "rare" instances.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2009 :  02:25:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've never heard of the Company of Crazed Venturers are they canon?

In addition to the sources referenced by Faraer, I'd recommend Ed's own words here at Candlekeep too, since he's discussed some brief activities of the Company from time to time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2009 :  04:46:01  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Brotherhood of the Griffon and the Zulkirs in Exile could be considered an epic level adventuring party..albeit a short lived one with many casualties.

The adventuring band known as The Nine were not epic level, at least insofar as 3E/4E defines the word "epic". Its two surviving members--Thanadar and Arnthiir Windrivv--were 17th and 15th level respectively in AD&D 2E.

Laeral may have been epic level at the time, specifically since it took the combined might of Khelben and Alustriel to free her from the Crown's influence. However the adventuring band as a whole was not especially 'epic' per se.

Edited by - The Simbul on 09 Jul 2009 04:50:40
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2009 :  05:04:19  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

The Brotherhood of the Griffon and the Zulkirs in Exile could be considered an epic level adventuring party..albeit a short lived one with many casualties.

No offense, but probably the term adventuring party in the here sought after term does not apply that well to the Brotherhood of the Griffon as they are a big hired mercenary band or small private army rather than a group of adventurers.

I think this thread is really interesting because it confirms there are not many epic adventuring parties known and the reasons given are absolutely conclusive.

-

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2009 :  05:50:34  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was not referring to the "Brotherhood of the Griffon" in the context of the hundreds of 1st level warriors/minions who fill their ranks. I was referring to the named, powerful individuals who were engaged in epic conflicts against Szass Tam and his forces in the Year of the Dark Circle. Specifically:

Aoth Fezrim
Baereris Anskuld
Mirror
Jhershi Coldcreek
Gaedynn Ulraes
Khouryn Skulldark

allied with the exiled Zulkirs
Lallara
Lauzoril
Nevron
Samas Kul

Edited by - The Simbul on 09 Jul 2009 05:52:05
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  21:23:40  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you can read about Gareth Dragonsbane and his fellows ('The Seven' you mentioned in your original post) as well as a couple 'might-as-well-be' epic fellas in Artemis Entreri and Jarlaxle Baenre in The Road of the Patriarch by RA Salvatore

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  04:35:15  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erevis Cale, Drasek Riven, and Magadon... Do you forget the dead annoying halfling Jak.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000