Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Weavewarder - prestige class for 3.5e
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  17:32:10  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The follow is a prestige class that I created for non-evil wizards and sorcerers called the Weavewarder. I'm interested in what people think of it. More importantly do you think it is balanced and not too powerful? My design notes are found at the end that briefly explain my thoughts.

Any feedback would be most welcome as I'm considering making this class available to my players.

Weavewarder

The Weavewarder is the arcane vanguard against the rising power of evil spellcasters and the Shadow Weave in particular. Weavewarders are wizards and sorcerers who have dedicated themselves to combating the various organisations of evil mages and those who would use the Shadow Weave. Their list of enemies includes the Cult of the Dragon, the Zhentarim, the Red Wizards of Thay, the Shade Enclave and the church of Shar. With their activities in maintaining close ties with governments and their ability to engage in gathering information, Weavewarders are well suited to identifying and engaging these agents of evil.
Weavewarders exclusively come from the ranks of wizards and sorcerers. Most are members of either the Knights of the Weave, the church of Mystra, or the church of Azuth. A few are loners, however, these are rare individuals as training to become a weavewarder is not known to be offered outside the aforementioned organisations. Aspiring weavewarders must have a solid understanding of magic and its history in shaping the world. Training to become a weavewarder is offered only to those who have proven to be individuals of integrity and who are devoted to defending the Weave against all threats for the common good.

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a Weavewarder, a character must fulfil the following criteria.
Alignment: Any non-evil.
Skills: Knowledge (arcane) 8 ranks, Knowledge (history) 6 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks.
Feats: Combat Casting, any one metamagic feat.
Spells: Able to cast 4th-level arcane spells.
Special: Cannot be a Shadow Weave user.

CLASS SKILLS
The Weavewarder’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Scry (Int), Spot (Wis), Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

CLASS FEATURES
All the following are class features of the Weavewarder prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Weavewarders gain no proficiency in weapons or armor.

Spells Per Day/Spells Known: At each level, the Weavewarder gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which he belonged before adding the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved chance of turning or destroying undead, metamagic or item creation feats, and so on). If he had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a Weavewarder, he must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

Weave Bond: Upon adopting this prestige class, weavewarders are forever barred from taking the Shadow Weave feat. Even if the character chooses to seek the favour of Shar, he is so attuned to the Weave that he can never fully renounce its ties.

Detect Magic (Sp): At 1st level, a weavewarder gains the ability to use detect magic at will.

Shadow Lore: At 2nd level, weavewarder gains Detect Shadow Weave User and Overcome Shadow Weave as bonus feats if he doesn’t have them already.

Darkvision (Ex): At 3rd level, a weavewarder gains darkvision (60 ft. range) if he doesn’t already have it, so as better to perceive the treacheries of Shar and combat users of the Shadow Weave.

Weaveshield (Su): At 4th level, a weavewarder can surround himself with a protective shimmering globe of blue-white force as a standard action. The weaveshield functions like a shield spell, granting him +4 shield bonus to AC and absorbing magic missiles cast at him. In addition, the weaveshield provides protection against ranged attacks in the same manner as an entropic shield spell. This therefore, grants him a 20% miss chance against incoming arrows, rays, and other ranged attacks. The weavewarder can see and reach through the shield, so it does not provide cover or concealment to opponents.
The weavewarder may use a weaveshield for up to 1 round per caster level per day. This duration need not be consecutive – the weavewarder may break it up into increments as small as 1 round if he so desires. Creating or dismissing the weaveshield is a standard action.
When the weavewarder reaches 8th level, the shield also grants him spell resistance equal to 12 + his weavewarder level as if he were under the effect of a spell resistance spell.

Bonus Feats: At 6th level and 9th level, weavewarders can take a bonus feat, drawn from the following list: any item creation feat, any metamagic feat, Combat Casting, Innate Spell, Greater Spell Focus, Greater Spell Penetration, Improved Familiar, Magical Artisan, Skill Focus (Knowledge [arcane]), Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Spell Focus, Spell Mastery, Spell Mastery, or Weapon Focus (ray, energy missile, or touch spell). The weavewarder must meet all prerequisites for the chosen feat.

Convey (Sp): At 7th, the weavewarder can use sending, as the spell, as a standard action once per day. This power is often used by weavewarder’s to report events or call for aid.

True Seeing (Su): At 10th level, the weavewarder gains the power to see all things as they truly are, as if he were continually under the effect of a true seeing spell.

Design Notes

It seemed to me that in the Realms the bad guys were getting stronger and with the advent of the Shade Enclave jumping on stage, the Shadow Weave and its “I love the dark side” fans seem to be stealing the lime-light from the Realms heroes. When it came to prestige classes for arcane spellcasters, it felt to me that the cool ones where being handed to the baddies. So, I decided that the good mages of the Realms needed a strong prestige path to take on the dark side and so I present to you…

The Weavewarder.

My inspiration for the Weavewarder came from the organisation known as the Guardians of the Weave which is detailed in the campaign supplement “Champions of Valor”. This group was founded to combat evil mages and users of the Shadow Weave. It is stated that its members “study common techniques used by evil mages and practice magical strategies that block or counter those styles” (Realms of Valor, p.83). Therefore, I gave the Weavewarder the powers of Detect Magic, Shadow Lore, Darkvision and True Seeing in order for a Weavewarder to match up against say a Shade Shadow Adept. Going along with the Guardians observations of their foes, I added the Weaveshield as an opposing equivalent to the Shadow Adept’s Shield of Shadows.

The Convey or Sending ability seemed to be the most obvious way an organisation of vigilant mages would report and call in for back up.

The Guardians of the Weave also have made extensive efforts to build good relationships with city officials and also try to sway other mages to their cause while always searching for tip offs about the location of Shadow Weaves users, evil mages and wild magic zone. Therefore I thought it appropriate for Weavewarders to be skilled in Diplomacy, Search, Spot and Gather Information.

Finally I gave the Weavewarder two bonus feats as a means for players to individualise their character according to their Weavewarders experiences.

Edited by - Auzoros on 27 Jun 2009 05:13:11

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  18:05:25  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good work. This is something I would use myself.
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  18:58:10  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really good work.

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page

shandiris
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  19:28:33  Show Profile Send shandiris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If my assumption that BAB= 1/2 and spellcasting progression = 10/10 the balance is fine. The convey ability I find strange, I mean you enter the Prc at 7 and gain sending 1 time/day at 14th. A 14th wizard could just prepare sending?

Why the Iron Will feat?

I would suggest you add more RP requirements since every non evil caster can take it atm. Maybe mystra/azuth/savras worship?

I am wondering whether you are using 3.0 or 3.5 btw, you use scry as skill (3.0) and feats from CoV (3.5). But if that was intentional, forget that comment

Shandiris
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2009 :  13:47:19  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tyranthraxus - feel free to make use of this prestige class.

Cheers IngoDjan.

Shandiris thanks for the queries. Hey your avatar is Hadrhune of the Shade Enclave...can I trust you? hehe.

Do you think the convey ability should be offered at a lower level? I figured that this ability saves a mage from having to memorise it and therefore always have it available...just in case. Of course the character can memorise more sending spells if he/she so desires.

The 3.0e and 3.5e skills and feats was intentional.

I like your idea about mystra/azuth/savras worship as it makes sense.

The Iron Will feat...honestly I didn't think much about that. I only considered that this character type would be one with the mindset and determination to fight evil and not run at the first sign of danger. This seems aligned to what is said about the membership of the guardians in CoV. However, that being said, I will look further into other possible feat requirements. If you have suggestion than I would very much like to hear them.

Edited by - Auzoros on 26 Aug 2009 09:04:45
Go to Top of Page

Auzoros
Seeker

Australia
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2009 :  05:16:51  Show Profile Send Auzoros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok got rid of Iron Will requirement and replace it with Combat Casting. As a prestige class that is geared toward spell combat against other mages this seemed to be a more appropriate choice.

PS. Any wishing to use to this prestige class is more than welcome. Feel free to modify as you feel fit and enjoy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000