Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A Compiliation
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randal_Dundragon
Seeker

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  22:46:44  Show Profile Send Randal_Dundragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all randal here, i was perusing through the site like i normally do (think people call it trolling ;)) anyway, and i got to thinking "is their a compiliation of all the different aspects of the Forgotten Realms" For example all the different special materials, maybe trades, basic mundane stuff as well as the more exotic.

I only ask because its a pain to have to look up through umpteen different books when i need to know say - What kind of special and unique woods are located in Faerun?

Anyway if anybody knows one id be very thankful.

Its simple really, Your an idiot and I'm simply a figment of your imagination

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  22:57:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randal_Dundragon

Hey all randal here, i was perusing through the site like i normally do (think people call it trolling ;)) anyway, and i got to thinking "is their a compiliation of all the different aspects of the Forgotten Realms" For example all the different special materials, maybe trades, basic mundane stuff as well as the more exotic.

I only ask because its a pain to have to look up through umpteen different books when i need to know say - What kind of special and unique woods are located in Faerun?

Anyway if anybody knows one id be very thankful.

I started, with the help of a few scribes, a project like this about a year ago. That was before 4e was released and Wizards started to get a bit uptight about their IP. I still have the files but until I know what Wizards may, or may not, want in fan projects, I kind of let the project lapse.

Plus, it was a bit hard to continue the project when you only have about three to four people working on it. Now, I understand why TSR dropped their own version of the Realms encyclopedia.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  00:50:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. I dropped out early, due to work commitments. It's a shame that I didn't have more time to help out, because I would've loved to have seen something like this up and running.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  01:40:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randal_Dundragon

For this, you can consult Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ). It's available for free from the Wizards downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  18:12:51  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, at least fellow scribe Fillow has compiled a list of all the <taverns and inns of the Realms>, for you to rest your weary head after scouring through all those scrolls!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2009 :  20:06:54  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find the Forgotten Realms index to be very helpful:
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/frindex/start.htm

But, of course, you need to already have an idea of what you are looking for to use it.

For general questions (eg: what kinds of trees grow near Shadowdale?) I recommend using this thread or the Chamber of Sages. I've found that the information you need is probably already bouncing around in the gray cells of one the scribes here. One of them can no doubt answer the above question.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2009 :  06:22:48  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we ever get a user agreement, and that agreement is amenable to continuing work on such a compilation, Kuje, I'd be happy to help.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2009 :  06:27:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

If we ever get a user agreement, and that agreement is amenable to continuing work on such a compilation, Kuje, I'd be happy to help.

Will keep you in mind if I start it up again, if we ever find out what the fan policy actually says.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2009 :  15:58:22  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ditto for me, Kuje. I actually did some work on the FR Encyclopedia, years ago, and was disappointed that it never actually happened.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Randal_Dundragon
Seeker

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2009 :  19:47:03  Show Profile Send Randal_Dundragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey thanks guys, and ill keep that in mind.

Its simple really, Your an idiot and I'm simply a figment of your imagination
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000