Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Aearee: Secrets of the Avian Creator Race
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

LetumLux
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  13:10:00  Show Profile Send LetumLux a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can we expect to see more on this? I was eagerly reading through and this silence was so abrupt for me!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  16:22:15  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely fatastic! I loved the great floating "nest cities." Born aloft by magics modern-day archmages can only speculate about and bound together with rope!?! Flying trees! Frikkin' brilliant work, Mr. Richardson. My imagination is captured.

On a side note, why has the CKC been axed?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 02 Mar 2011 01:23:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  17:25:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

On a side note, why has the CKC been axed?

It hasn't been. It's just in limbo until WotC finally decides to explicitly say what fan sites can and cannot do.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2011 :  22:04:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can we pretend there is an ebil 'alternate Earth' CKC (with a goatee!) that is stuck in Mechanus?

Ya know... because I loose sleep at night without symmetry.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Feb 2011 23:41:17
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2011 :  11:30:46  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Thanks for the kind words, sorry I haven't posted much lately, but life has been distracting this last month. I have some more bits and pieces to post soon. Including info about the Aearee pantheon (Krocaa, Syranita, Phraarkilloorm, K'ooriall, Quorlinn, Remnis, et al.) and some notes on the Aearee language.

Was this material about the Aearee pantheon ever posted? I'd really like to see it!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2011 :  12:32:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. Because Gray and I were to have a little collaborative effort on this -- since I promised him my working on aeree/aracockraa musical trends and styles. And I know that we haven't reached that point yet.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  01:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is some stray lore I had been working on:

Alchemical sheening: The Aearee-quor of the Shara rookeries were skilled metallurgists and alchemists. They used alchemy to sheen the feathers of their warriors and battle-rocs in adamantine plate -- a thin metal layer that was light and highly resistant to damage yet did not impede flight. Such armored feathers could be made with razor sharp edges. Many Aearee-quor were renowned for their deadly fighting techniques that could slice an opponent to ribbons, or cripple wings and tails, sending foes plumetting from the sky.

It is thought the secret of the alchemical sheen is similar to the method for manufacturing adamantine mentioned in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, p.57. In fact, many suspect that the dwarves may have discovered the technique from an Aearee codex or Sharan laboratory found while delving beneath the Osraun mountains.

While this particular technique for alchemical sheening is lost, examples of adamantine plated feathers survive to this day and can be found incorporated into ancient magical weapons and ornaments. Sheened roc feathers make deadly effective swords, glaives and polearms.

It is rumored that the secret of alchemical sheening is preserved among certain kenku assassins guilds and by an order of kenku monks that inhabit a hidden monastery in Kara-Tur.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  01:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aearee Writing: The Aearee did not have an alphabet. Their written language was ideographic, with no fixed pronunciation. While the major subraces of the Aearee did not share a common tongue, they did share a common writing system and could communicate through the use of glyphs even when they did not speak each other's dialect.

Aearee glyphs were very beautiful, often painted in vivid colors using feather brushes and paints on wooden plaques or a type of paper made from pressed reed fibers or leaves, manufactured in a fashion similar to papyrus. Aearee were skilled carvers and engraved their glyphs in wood, but rarely stone or metal. Their architecture and monuments were highly ornate. But due to their choice of writing materials, very few examples of ancient Aearee writing have survived over the 30,000 years since their civilization fell. There are, however, some stunning examples preserved in caves and abandoned rookeries in the Underdark.

While Aearee glyphs are no longer used by any modern culture, stray symbols from this language have survived through their use in the mystic arts. Many magical symbols can trace their origins to Aearee glyphs. In fact, the glyph of warding began as an Aearee symbol. Aearee glyphs were preserved by the Ba'etith in the Nether Scrolls as part of certain magical formulas and diagrams. The collective magical knowledge of the creator races was thus passed down to the Netherese and so select Aearee symbols still find current use in the spells and magical practices of modern humans and demi-humans.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  01:21:27  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krocaa is the Allfather of the Aearee race, a sky and solar deity born of the cosmic egg--the two halves of which formed the ground and the starry vault of heaven. More accurately transliterated as Krrrrokáà, where the rrrr represents a prolonged retroflex trill, and the accent marks represent rising and falling tones, his name comes from the ancient Aearee root krrrráà, “to soar,” a primal cry of exultation, nominalized by the addition of the infix, -ok-, meaning "one who" or "he who." Though literally translated as "He Who Soars" or "Soarer," the name has additional connotations of "Sky Chieftain," "Lord Above All," and "Most High." Krocaa set the sun in the sky and oversaw it's journey through the day. Human sages equate Krocaa with Amaunator, with many accounting him as a prior incarnation of the human deity.

Krocaa was the special patron of the western branch of the race called Aéárìikukrrrráà, the “people who soar.” From the roots aéárìi, meaning “flock” or “host,” and krrrráà, “to soar,” marked by the prefix ku-, which forms an adjective from the verb. Krocaa was depicted as a brilliant white or golden eagle, much as the Aéárìikukrrrráà had the features of eagles, hawks and birds of prey.

Krocaa was a very ancient god, and like many other allfather gods, over the ages he grew distant from his people and his pantheon. He was largely an absentee deity by the time the Sarrukh enslaved the race. The myths say that Krocaa flew away, beyond the horizon, in shame after a great betrayal by his son. The nature of the betrayal is vague, purported in various accounts to be a theft involving the sun, or part of Krocaa's portfolio, or a magical egg; although, in one version it is said that Quorlinn sold his father into slavery in exchange for the mantle of night, an artifact of great puissance. The worship of Quorlinn largely superceded the veneration of Krocaa when the Aearee fell under the yokes of successive Sarrukh and Batrachi empires, and with time, Krocaa faded to a distant memory.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  01:25:46  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krocaa was introduced in Dragon magazine #124 - in an article entitled "The Wings of Eagles"
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  01:32:36  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always get excited when I see new posts from you, Gray Scribe, more excellent work! Since I am currently developing a campaign involving Eagle Riders, Avariel as well as many other feathered fauna (and have already put some of your lore to good use) I will find a way to utilize these Adamantium Feathers of yours. Hah! Thanks.

edit: deleted and reposted, so as not to interrupt

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 02 Mar 2011 01:50:44
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  02:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quorlinn was patron of the Aearee-Quor, the Children of Dusk, the second main branch of the Aearee race, who bore the corvid features of crows, ravens, rooks, jackdaws, jays and magpies. In the Aearee tongue, Aéárìikuorrrr means the “twilight flock.” Kuorrrr or Kuorrrrlìinn, derives from the root kurrrr, meaning “to fool, trick, steal or sneak.” The name is nominalized by use of the agentive infix -ok-, “he who;” the k was lost through assimilation with the rrrrr sound. The suffix -lìinn is a diminuitive, meaning (somewhat ironically) “little” or “humble.” Thus, Kuorrrr means “trickster” or “sneaker,” and Kuorrrrlìinn “little thief.” The Aearee word kuorrrr is also synonymous with “twilight” and has the connotation of “day-thief.”

The son of Krocaa by the great Bird of Night (thought to be the Aearee conception of Shar), Quorlinn was the god of twilight and shadows. He presided over a dark time for the Aearee peoples. In addition to darkness, shadow and dusk, his portfolio included trickery, quick wits, deceit and theft. Quorlinn embodied the ideals of cunning, stealth and humor — qualities the Aearee required in order to help them survive, steal food, avoid punishment, conspire against, and sometimes escape from, their Batrachi overlords. Quorlinn stole the secrets of magic from the Ramenite thearchs and taught it to the Aearee. He is thus seen as the Aearee patron of magical knowledge. Some sages equate Quorlinn with the human god Mask, and propose that Mask is a modern, human incarnation of this ancient Aearee deity, although there are as many sages who discount this theory.

Quorlinn is depicted as having crow or raven-like features, though his feathers are not so dark, incorporating all the colors of twilight, alternating from blue to grey to black, with iridescent pinfeathers that lend his plumage a sheen that shifts from violet to turquoise. During the Sevenfold Winter, the Aearee-Quor sought refuge amid the volcanic warmth of subterranean caverns beneath the Osraun mountain range. Afterward, they spread out across the south to the Shaar and as far as Kara-Tur. The Aearee-Quor are the progenitors of such modern races as the tengu, kenku, and the dire corbies.

The worship of Quorlinn was persecuted and nearly eradicated by the Aearee-Quor after the cult of Pazrael took hold among the southern rookeries during the height of the Aearee empires. Quorlinn was displaced by the demon-lord Pazrael as patron of the Aearee-Quor in the later years of the Aearee era. Despite the power that Pazrael promised, his veneration led to their loss of flight as a race, and ultimately engendered a great deal of strife, warfare and suffering among the Aearee peoples.

When the dragons arose to supplant the Aearee, some of the Aearee-Quor escaped draconic predation by fleeing into the Underdark. There they fell into barabarism and degenerated into the terrible dire corbies. Dire corbies continue to venerate Pazrael to this day.

The race known as kenkus remained above ground. They fled east, into Kara-Tur. They have only just begun to migrate back to Faerûn in recent centuries. Surviving kenku communities turned to Quorlinn for protection, where his worship still flourishes in modern times.

To the best of my knowledge, Quorlinn first appeared in the supplement Monster Mythology.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  02:43:17  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are Pazrael and Pazuzu one and the same?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  03:15:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Are Pazrael and Pazuzu one and the same?

I've always thought that Pazuzu and Pazrael are the same. They seem very much alike.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  03:19:24  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is Pazrael mentioned? I thought I was familiar with most pre-4th demon lore.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  03:52:17  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
During the sevenfold fimbulwinter that enveloped Toril after Tearfall — a dark period of cold and mourning that echoed the great ice age from which the world had only so recently emerged — the Aearee turned to Syranita. Born of the last egg laid by Krocaa and kept hidden for an age by Quorlinn, her hatching was a symbol of hope during the period of Aearee bondage. When the Batrachi summoned Asgorath to aid them in their war against the titans, the dragon-mother hurled a small ice-moon at the face of Toril, carving a scar into Faerûn that became the Sea of Fallen Stars. The catastrophe annihilated not only their titan nemeses, but brought low the mighty Batrachi with it. The resultant dust clouds obscured the sun for many seasons, covering Toril in a cold, grey blanket of ash and ice for seven years.

The Aearee, who had learned magic secretly during their thralldom under successive Sarrukh and Batrachi slave-masters, struggled to preserve what life remained in the world. Aearee druids preserved the forests with spells that brought warmth, clean water and light to nourish the plant-life and fauna that withered in the absence of sunlight. Aearee artificers errected giant, weather-controlling spires made of crystal in the Star Mounts (The Savage Frontier p.50-51, The North pp.7, 51, 57) that helped to moderate the storms and snow that ravaged Faerûn, and brought some measure of warmth and light to the twilit landscape.

When dawn finally rose again in Toril, the roseate light illumined the crimson feathers of the Aearee-Syran, and Aearee hearts were overjoyed. The world was in bloom again, and like the phoenix, Toril was reborn from the ashes. Syranita is, in fact, often conflated in myth with the phoenix. Veneration of Syranita took on special significance to the Aearee during the Long Night, first as a symbol of hope and promise that the sun would return; and, when the sun finally did rise again, as a symbol of renewal and a promise fulfilled.

Syranita, or Syrànítlà, is translated as “Dawn Queen,” from syràn, “dawn,” and ítlà, “brood mother” or “matriarch.” Many scholars equate her with Lathander and count her as the Aearee conception of the Morning Lord. She is depicted as a regal aarakocra, somewhat slender and elongated, with radiant feathers containing all the colors of the dawn; from rose to tangerine, sunrise orange, fiery red, magenta and scarlet. She is depicted with features that evoke the phoenix, parrots, falcons, swans, and peacocks, with a rainbow tail that flows behind her like a train. She is the special patron of the northern branch of the race called the Aéárìisyràn,the Children of the Dawn, who had the features of parrots, falcons and passerine birds. The most colorful of all the Aearee — their plumage reflected the many-hued colors of the morning sky, including scarlet, rose, orange, peach and coral, with accents of blue and purple and green. The Aearee-Syran were smaller, more delicate and lithe than their western cousins, the Aearee-Krocaa.

Syràn can also mean “east,” the cardinal direction of the rising sun, which may refer to the lands that the Aearee-Syran settled, far to the east of Mount Havraquoar, homeland of the western tribes. Their habitat spread across the north of Faerûn from as far east as the Priador to the west beyond what is currently the Sword Coast into Anchorome, now cleaved from Faerûn, but which during that age was joined together as one continuous land. The greatest of the Aearee-Syran aeries, called Phwiukree, was centered in the Star Mounts.

The modern race called “aarakocra” is a result of millennia of interbreeding between Aearee-Syran and Aearee-Krocaa strains that managed to survive the rise of dragons who hunted the avians to near extinction. Modern aarakocra blend the features of both races; and while neither the Aearee-Syran nor the Aearee-Krocaa have survived as a distinct race, there is much variation among the features of modern aarkocra, and individual specimens may be born with features that hearken back to those of their Aearee forebears.

The goddess Syranita died many centuries ago and was absorbed into the elven goddess Aerdrie Faenya, who maintained the alias of Syranita and answers prayers in her name to this day. However, in recent years there has been a resurgence in the worship of Krocaa. An aarakocran prophet named Wuoress traveled to distant lands, far to the west beyond Anchorome, and brought back portents of Krocaa’s return. Consequently, a groundswell of veneration for this forgotten deity has arisen throughout aarakocra, kenku, and avian communities across Faerûn and into Kara-Tur.

Aarkocra have, of late, been exploring the ancient ruins and sacred sites of their ancestors with unbridled zeal. There are rumors that some ancient artifact or text was found in the Star Mounts that will lead their flocks to reestablish the avians as a formidable race and elevate them to their former glory as a creator race.

Syranita was introduced in Monster Mythology.

Edited by - Gray Richardson on 02 Mar 2011 03:53:58
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  04:07:40  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pazrael, Pazriel and Pazuzu are all variant spellings for the name of the demon prince who rules the skies of the Abyss. To quote Wikipedia: "Pazuzu made his first appearance in the first edition Monster Manual II. He appeared in the second edition Planescape campaign setting as the Abyssal Lord, Pazrael, in the Planes of Chaos boxed set (1995). Pazuzu appeared in third edition in the Book of Vile Darkness web enhancement, "Yet More Archfiends" (2002). He is covered in depth in Dragon magazine #329, in the "Demonomicon of Iggwilv" feature, as well as the supplement Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss (2006). Pazuzu was detailed in the 4th edition Demonomicon book (2010)." In Faerûn, the Aearee-Quor knew him as Pazrael. The Aearee-Quor turned to him as their patron. He led them in conquest but was ultimately responsible for their downfall.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  04:24:41  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. I'm away from my library, but I guess I should've checked the Wiki, though I generally ignore it as a unreliable resource. I'm surprised to see they listed a bibliography, that is one of my biggest gripes.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  05:40:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff, Gray!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  08:57:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does Paz respond to any version of his name spoken thrice?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  11:18:40  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phraarkiloorm, was the vulture-headed god of death for the Aearee pantheon. Phraarkiloorm was patron to the vulchlings (Monster Manual II, 1st Ed. p.125), an offshoot of the Aearee-Krocaa, raptors with the features of vultures, buzzards and condors. Vulchlings in the modern era are a debased and barbaric semblance of their Aearee forebears. However, during the Days of Thunder, the vulchlings played an important role, comprising a caste of “untouchables” who were charged with, among other tasks, the disposition of the dead and ministration of funerary rites.

The Batrachi compelled their slaves to pay obeisance to Ramenos. Aearee often ended their lives as sacrifices, burning in the fiery maw of the great brass altars dedicated to the Batrachi god. Yet, the Aearee maintained their reverence for Phraarkiloorm, praying to him in secret, both for the release of a merciful death and to mete vengeful death upon their oppressors.

Of all the Aearee, the vulchlings suffered the most under servitude to Sarrukh and Batrachi overlords, relgated to the most unseemly of tasks. The Batrachi were particularly cruel to the vulchlings, and took perverse delight in feeding their vulchling slaves only carrion, and the decaying corpses of other slaves. Even after the Aearee had gained their freedom, the perception of vulchlings as untouchables persisted due to their unusual dietary and sanitation proclivities. However, in the wake of the Tearfall, the vulchlings were afforded a newfound respect by their Aearee brethren as the keepers of the rituals and sacraments surrounding death. The clergy of Phraarkiloorm were drawn almost entirely (although not exclusively) from the vulchling caste.

As a natural consequence of their biology, vulchlings are highly resistant to disease and to toxins, especially those associated with putrefaction. Phraarkiloorm counted disease, rot and poison among his portfolios and so the Aearee prayed to him for protection and healing from venom, decay and illness. Vulchling clerics were admired for their healing skills.

Conversely, vulchlings who pursued the arcane arts were drawn to necromancy, and so the most infamous necromancers of the Aearee were counted among the vulchlings.

Vulchlings were known as consummate warriors, and many found prestige as Raptor Knights, an elite holy order of paladins and avengers in service to the god Phraarkiloorm. After the Tearfall, Phraarkiloorm’s Raptor Knights harried their former Batrachi masters with terrifying zeal, hunting the surviving thearchs to near extinction — though falling short of complete success; Batrachi descendants yet thrive in the hidden places of Faerûn. Such races as the grippli, bullywugs and sivs are numbered among their progeny.

Vulchlings had the least developed vocal apparatus of all the Aearee, speaking in a raspy whisper, when they could speak at all. More than a third of vulchlings were born mute, with a deformed or absent syrinx (the avian voice box, comparable to human vocal cords). Most vulchlings were proficient in a silent language of gestures, and for this reason were particularly adept at reading the body language and facial expressions of others. This lent them a solemnity and a sensitivity appropriate to their duties and served them well in their dealings with other races. It is thought that modern day Drow sign language has its origins in a silent trade pigeon used by vulchlings in the Underdark.

Phraarkiloorm himself is a dour and silent deity. He never speaks. Although he is able to communicate telepathically, he is rarely known to do so. He is depicted as a tall, gaunt vulchling dressed in tatttered cerements that hang loosely from his body, draped over an ornate battle harness that is typical garb for Raptor Knights.

Long before Jergal held the office, Phraarkiloorm served as overseer for the orderly disposition of all of Torils dead souls. Phraarkiloorm was already an ancient god when the Aearee rose to power following Tearfall. He held this position up until the time that the draconic god of death, Null, took control from him during the Reign of Dragons. It is unclear as to when or from whom Phraarkiloorm took control of the Fugue, but it is thought to predate the Batrachi era. Even during the height of the Batrachi reign, Ramenos never gained control of the Fugue. It is thought that Phraarkiloorm may have taken over in the vacuum left when Ramenos, in a pique of monotheistic rage, harrowed the Fated Depths and devoured the gods of the Great School, the former pantheon of the aquatic predecessors to the Batrachi (Sea of Fallen Stars, p.60).

Some scholars believe that Phraarkiloorm took possession of the Fugue from Panzuriel, the Kraken god of murder, who may have held dominion over the Fugue during the tenure of the Great School pantheon. Other sages speculate that Phraarkiloorm ruled the Fugue even prior to this, throughout the time of the Sarrukh empires. As evidence, these sages note that even the Sarrukh used their vulchling slaves as untouchables and as handlers of dead things. Another theory holds that Phraarkiloorm succeeded a god from the pantheon of the fey creator race, but little is known regarding the mysterious LeShay, and nothing concerning their gods.

Note: Phraarkilloorm was introduced in White Dwarf #39 p.13 in an article entitled “Inhuman Gods, Deities for Non-Human Races: Part I” by Phil Masters. Phraarkillorm was intended as a deity for the dire corbies introduced in the original Fiend Folio. At the time, White Dwarf magazine was closely allied with TSR and was negotiating with TSR for a possible buy-out, a deal that eventually fell through. The Fiend Folio was produced by the UK “branch” of TSR by staff who also worked for White Dwarf magazine, and many of the monsters in the Fiend Folio had originally seen publication in White Dwarf magazine. Phraarkilloorm may be seen as apocryphal or semi-canonical, depending on your view of the lore, although TSR never owned the copyright for Phraarkilloorm. While I have used the name of that deity as inspiration for the vulchling patron god, the lore I have presented here is completely of my own invention, drawing from my speculations surrounding the Aearee pantheon, and the vulchlings as depicted in the Monster Manual II.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  11:37:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, this is what I've been waiting for. Ecstatic stuff, Gray!

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  12:25:57  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful!!! Can't wait for the others!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  18:26:39  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep up the great work, Gray!

Edited by - Hawkins on 02 Mar 2011 18:29:22
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  19:25:45  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooops! Sorry if I incorporated some material from the first page about vulchlings into the Phraarkiloorm post. Didn't mean to repeat myself. Consider this an update to the prior lore, there's a couple of new facts about vulchlings in there. The stuff about Phraarkiloorm is all new at least.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2011 :  23:06:55  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's great, anyway, Gray! Any material about Remnis? I'm specially fond of the Lord of Eagles, even developing an entry a la Faiths & Avatars to this deity. I named his specialty priests "Turuls", and even included the possibility of winged elves' priests, based on some Planescape stuff I read in Planes of Conflict. Since part of his portfolio is vigilance against evil, maybe he should be the Aearee version of Torm, or even Helm?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  07:15:50  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some quick notes on Krocaa, from his entry in Dragon Magazine #124:
His alignment is neutral good.
His favored weapon is the javelin.
Krocaa's holy symbol is a red feather.
His clerics are called "Elders."

Edited by - Gray Richardson on 03 Mar 2011 07:35:06
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  08:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remnis is the Lord of Eagles. Remnis is not technically a god, but rather a Beast Lord. He is the archetypal representation of eagles, the incarnation of the spirit and essence of eagles as a species. He is revered as the patron of intelligent eagles. He is worshiped as a god by certain human beast cults, and as a totem spirit in many tribal cultures.

Remnis is not actually a member of the Aearee pantheon, but he is closely allied with it, and features in many Aearee myths. Remnis is the boon companion of Krocaa, and has served as Krocaa's mount in battle.

Remnis has an eyrie on a mountaintop in the House of Nature/Deep Wilds. His domain is called "Goldenroost." Although, Remnis is not restricted to one plane; the Lord of Eagles takes flight above the skies of all the planes. There is nowhere he cannot go. For this reason he is called upon by many powers and heroes for his aid in flying them to distant and difficult places. Remnis is known to many pantheons and features in the myths of many cultures. Remnis frequently serves as mount to various gods, especially the Seldarine.

Remnis can appear as any size, from as tiny as a hummingbird to as colossal as a roc, and even larger.

Remnis is also known for his great sight. The Lord of Eagles can spot a ladybug on a flower a continent away. Remnis can see into distant planes, even through time. His powers of divination are legendary. He has caught sight of many secrets in his travels. He is considered very wise and many myths tell of heroes scaling mountains to find him and seek his wisdom or his aid in finding lost things.

Remnis's alignment is neutral good. His holy symbol is the head of an eagle with green eyes.

To the best of my knowledge, Remnis first appeared in Monster Mythology.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  09:16:20  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note: in 4e parlance, beast lords are considered a type of primal spirit. They draw their power not from belief but from the natural world.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2011 :  11:47:02  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really nice, Gray, thank you once again!

It's important to note that Remnis is a close ally of the elven goddess Aerdrie Faenya, and one of her spells is called "Flight of Remnis". And there were no stats for his priests in "Monster Mythology", so this primal spirit definition makes some sense.

Besides, I always thought Remnis would also be the same "Eagle" god worshiped by the Green Elves, as described in Elves of Evermeet and cited in Rillifane Rallathil's entry on Demihuman Deities. In both sources, he is seen as the primal Great Eagle Spirit, and he's compared to the 2nd edition intermediate god Thunder, venerated by the American Indian (this entry suggests their priests could be similar).

I've found some similarities between Remnis and the White Eagle of Zeus from 1st edition "Deities & Demigods/Legends & Lore", maybe there was an inspiration there...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 03 Mar 2011 12:05:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly