Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Obarskyr/Cormaeril family tree?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SteelGandalf
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  21:08:30  Show Profile Send SteelGandalf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey Loremasters,

Been years and years since I've posted, glad to be back! I'm looking for a visual family tree, of both the Obarskyr line & the Cormaeril line. Does something like this exist out there?

If not, is there someone out there with enough knowledge/resources to build one?

Sweet Water,

SteelGandalf

"Say nice doggie, but keep looking for a rock..."
~Chiun

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  21:31:43  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormaeril: Nope. There isn't nearly enough established lore on the many folks of that House to even attempt such a thing.

Obarskyr: No, it doesn't exist in print. Yes, there are a few folks with the knowledge and resources to build it, and (unfortunately) all of us are prevented by non-disclosure agreements from doing so. Believe me when I say that almost nothing would make me happier to put into print than that.
Go to Top of Page

SteelGandalf
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  21:34:47  Show Profile Send SteelGandalf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
would these NDA's prevent us from listing the Obarskyr lineage in text format, here on the forum? I'd like to put something like this together, for my personal campaign use. Wondering if the forum can provide a starting point?

~Chiun
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  21:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, technically, you can discuss what's in print. There is a list of kings in Grand History of the Realms (that's the most comprehensive listing you're likely to find), but the full Royal Lineage is significantly more detailed and more complex than all that, and, sadly, has not seen print. That's fully under NDA, and I can't share it without mega-super legal troubles.
Go to Top of Page

SteelGandalf
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  22:39:40  Show Profile Send SteelGandalf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, is there enough in print to organize into a semblance of a tree?

~Chiun
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2014 :  06:46:39  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I can think of two Obarskyr family trees. One, in the Cyclopedia of the Realms (p34) goes from Pryntaler to Alusair and Tanalasta. The other, in Dungeon #198 goes from Rhigaerd II to the children of Crown Prince Irvel. Neither of them are comprehensive but together, you could extrapolate a fairly focused tree stretching from 1164 DR to 1479 DR. The Grand History list rarely notes all family members but you can get all the reigning kings as well as a few queens, regents and Crown Princes & Princesses.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 05 Feb 2014 06:51:16
Go to Top of Page

SteelGandalf
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2014 :  23:39:52  Show Profile Send SteelGandalf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You, sir, are a boss. Many thanks.

~Chiun
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2014 :  23:50:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This seems like as good a thread as any to ask this: What was Filfaeril's maiden name?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  03:01:54  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

This seems like as good a thread as any to ask this: What was Filfaeril's maiden name?
Selazair
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  03:02:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, always thought it was Selazair, but note that Alusair has a middle name (Nacacia), so that might not be right.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  03:31:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So is it Selazair, or isn't it? I would usually take GT's word for it, but not when GK disagrees.

I recall something somewhere about her family - maybe the Cormyr novel - but I just can't seem to remember the details. Selazair doesn't sound like a Cormyrian noble family name.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  10:30:31  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's spelled alternatively as Selzair and Selazair, depending on which source you're referencing.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  12:26:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't disagree, I was just typing from work. If I'd been home, I'd have referenced the inestimable Cormyr Lineage. It's Selazair.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  14:41:30  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So is it Selazair, or isn't it? I would usually take GT's word for it, but not when GK disagrees.
No, no. He wasn't disagreeing. If George was disagreeing with me on a matter of Cormyrean Lineage, I'd have a fifteen-screen email in my inbox already.

George was musing out loud as to whether "Selazair" was a middle name or her pre-marriage surname.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Redwyrm
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2014 :  23:48:21  Show Profile Send Dr. Redwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well. I made one for the game, and I figured if anyone else wants to use it...
http://postimg.org/image/vk83qahzb/

Hail Redwyrm.

Dr. Iram Redwyrm, Führer-Prismatic of the new Suel Confederacy
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Redwyrm
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2014 :  23:49:54  Show Profile Send Dr. Redwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I didn't have much to work with so I filled in the blanks with PC family.

Hail Redwyrm!

Go to Top of Page

SteelGandalf
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2014 :  23:51:32  Show Profile Send SteelGandalf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa

~Chiun
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  03:13:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Redwyrm

Hail Redwyrm!

Not meaning to sound critical, but how about fleshing out the family tree with slightly more "Realmsian" names. I'm pretty sure there are no James-es in the FR firmament. I could be wrong, but I hope not.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  04:23:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Hail Redwyrm!

Not meaning to sound critical, but how about fleshing out the family tree with slightly more "Realmsian" names. I'm pretty sure there are no James-es in the FR firmament. I could be wrong, but I hope not.

-- George Krashos

There is a Jack, which always bugged me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  04:43:59  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm pretty sure there are no James-es in the FR firmament.
We already have two James brothers. That's more than enough for the Realms to handle.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  13:33:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What? No Jhesaay Jâmz?

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There is a Jack, and there is also a Jak.

My assumption has been that some families may be descendents of Earth immigrants who arrived at some point in the past, and some families may have kept - and 'Realmsified' - those family names.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Feb 2014 13:34:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  16:50:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What? No Jhesaay Jâmz?

quote:

There is a Jack, and there is also a Jak.

My assumption has been that some families may be descendents of Earth immigrants who arrived at some point in the past, and some families may have kept - and 'Realmsified' - those family names.

Jak didn't bug me. I don't mind a real-world name when it's changed enough to not be a direct lift. And I'll freely admit that I've used more than one name that started as a real-world name, and then I just changed a letter or two. For example, when I was playing Lord of the Rings Online, I briefly played a character named Ellika (from Erica), and I spent a good chunk of time on a character named Kherisa (Theresa). The last LotRO toon I was leveling was named Corvynn, which was based off of the Latin for crows and ravens, corvus.

And I've been fiddling with importing all of those toons, the rest of my LotRO toons, and even one of my wife's toons, into the Realms. A couple will need name changes (Osirys has to be changed, in particular), but most will work well enough.

But none of those names are direct lifts... And even if, centuries ago, folk had migrated to the Realms, the names would have changed, over time. Languages change constantly -- new words are added, old words dropped, words acquire new and sometimes wholly different meanings, and spellings change. Even if a group of folks for whom Jack is a normal name migrated to the Realms, it should have, in time, become Jakk or Jhak or even something entirely different. The name Jack itself came from Jankin, after all.

And if the name Jack wasn't bad enough, his last name, Ravenwild, contains part of the name of the town where he lived -- Raven's Bluff. Jakk of Raven's Bluff would have worked fine, or a Ravenwild living in Waterdeep would be fine, but a Ravenwild in Raven's Bluff is pushing it, and Jack just makes it worse. Ravenwild is a great name -- but it doesn't work in Raven's Bluff. It's like having Tom Waterdude in Waterdeep or Jon Silveryhand in Silverymoon.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  21:13:57  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ravenwild is a great name -- but it doesn't work in Raven's Bluff. It's like having Tom Waterdude in Waterdeep or Jon Silveryhand in Silverymoon.
It's for this exact reason that I objected to naming the Lord Protector of Neverwinter... Neverember. I lost that fight.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2014 :  22:42:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James
It's for this exact reason that I objected to naming the Lord Protector of Neverwinter... Neverember. I lost that fight.

This GEN-CON we have to sit down and list all the fights we've lost over the Realms with the "powers that be". Perhaps we can make a drinking game out of it. Not sure there will be enough beer to cover that field though!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Redwyrm
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2014 :  05:48:59  Show Profile Send Dr. Redwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only names made up were Lord Roland and Lady Elena who are the PC's parents and Belana. James Cormaeril is a cannon character. I got the name James Cormaeril from

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/nobles.htm

Like I said. This is what I'm using in a campaign. It's not cannon or anything. There isn't enough info or background into the Cormaeril house to really do much other than speculate according to birth/death dates.

Hail Redwyrm!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Redwyrm
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2014 :  05:51:11  Show Profile Send Dr. Redwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well... maybe James isn't cannon... but he shows up from time to time. Cormaerils are humans. They can have any name they want. James is a human name. I would only be upset if you were a moon elf named Tony or something.

Hail Redwyrm!

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2014 :  13:26:32  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

This GEN-CON we have to sit down and list all the fights we've lost over the Realms with the "powers that be". Perhaps we can make a drinking game out of it. Not sure there will be enough beer to cover that field though!

-- George Krashos
Wait until you find out that that lovely brewery no longer sells beer in pitchers. (And then find out why, on Beer Night, no one goes there.)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2014 :  13:40:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AGREE on Neverember - its filled with suck.

quote:

well... maybe James isn't cannon... but he shows up from time to time. Cormaerils are humans. They can have any name they want. James is a human name. I would only be upset if you were a moon elf named Tony or something.

Hail Redwyrm!

OMG...

Now you've got me thinking about an Elven 'mob'.

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Feb 2014 13:40:53
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2014 :  16:30:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dr. Redwyrm, the list you drew that name from is NOT canon; it's someone's homebrew. There are no "James" or "Joshua" occurrences in any of Ed's nobility of Cormyr lore that I know of, just to pluck two names from that list. Which also sports a major error (the category of "Landed Lords") and half a dozen minor ones that I can see at a glance. If those names work for you, fine...but as you can see from the posts in this thread, names that "sound wrong" are a trigger for many fans and lore-lords of the Realms alike.
BTW, "Neverember" is an Ed-coined surname, that I first encountered in 1978, but it had nothing at all to do with Neverwinter - - nor, as far as I can tell, anything to do with the Sword Coast (except perhaps for Neverember-owned cargoes reaching Scornubel and Silverymoon and Waterdeep via caravans).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2014 :  17:35:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

BTW, "Neverember" is an Ed-coined surname, that I first encountered in 1978, but it had nothing at all to do with Neverwinter - - nor, as far as I can tell, anything to do with the Sword Coast (except perhaps for Neverember-owned cargoes reaching Scornubel and Silverymoon and Waterdeep via caravans).
love,
THO

Like Ravenwild, it's a great surname... The powers that be (or were then) should have just dropped it elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2014 :  20:00:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed, if you could 'steal' any god from Goalrion (Paizo/PF), which one would you want most?

quote:

Like Ravenwild, it's a great surname... The powers that be (or were then) should have just dropped it elsewhere.
Agreed.

A nuclear submarine is a great mode of transportation... but I wouldn't want to try driving one to work everyday.

In other words, its never lore that is bad, just how its used. "To every thing there is a season, and time to every purpose under the heaven".

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Feb 2014 20:01:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000