Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Converting older modules to FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  01:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking at converting older modules to FR. I am sure that somewhere in this forum, there is a thread about this already. However, my search-fu has failed me. Any advice?

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  08:10:08  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Howdy! When you say "older modules" - could you be a little more specific? For example, are you looking to convert 1e and/or 2e and /or 3(.5)e to 3(.5)e or 4e? Are you interested in the mechanics conversion, or are you looking to convert modules with non-FR background to fit into an FR background, regardless of edition? So more along the lines of modifying a module to fit FR?

Edited by - Thauramarth on 25 May 2009 08:11:08
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  14:27:11  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the vagueness. I've recently acquired a lot of older adventure modules. I think they are mostly 1st edition. I don't need help with the game mechanics (I am our group's rules lawyer, updating to a newer edition is easy for me).

What I am looking for is help placing some of the adventures. I haven't had time to read them all (and thankfully some are already set in FR). Some of them include (more or less complete series) A, I, and UK. I have a lot of the others as well, simply haven't had time to read them all and place them. I was sure I saw a thread on this somewhere in the 'Keep, but I haven't been able to find it.

I was starting my conversions with the UK series:

UK1- Beyond the crystal cave
UK2- The Sentinel
UK3- The Gauntlet
UK4- When a star falls
UK5- Eye of the serpent
UK6- All that glitters...
UK7- Dark clouds gather

The main things I am looking for is help of where to place the module that it would take the least amount of rewriting. UK1 for instance, has a Romeo and Juliet thing going on, inside a wizard created environment (9th+, probably epic), lots of sylvan creatures, and a demigod named the Green Man. So, while the location isn't too onnerous, I was wondering how others had interpreted the Green Man. Do you make him a new deity? A servant of Silvanus, or perhaps even an avatar?
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2009 :  23:49:32  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Things are clearer now. For the A-series (the Slaver modules), there was an article in the Forgotten Realms Notebook 5, which can be downloaded from Candlekeep: http://www.candlekeep.com/library/notebook.htm and do a search on the page for "Slaver".

Back in the days, I kept a file with notes on most any module I ever owned (Dungeon magazine included), boiled down to the essential elements, and then making some notes on how I could put it in either FR or my own campaign world. Need to dig out - it's somewhere on a hard drive... Somewhere...

Do you want to stick to canon (and which era - 1/2/3(.5)e or 4e), or are you OK with adding the occasional landmark left or right?

Edited by - Thauramarth on 26 May 2009 00:01:34
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  00:32:30  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I normally start campaigns somewhere in the 1340s, sometimes 1350s. I'll run anything but 4e (don't have the books). I don't mind adding landmarks, but it's definitely one of those "less added" is better. I try to maintain consistency from campaign to campaign, so the less added, the less I have to remember. Because, of course, the players only remember things that have been added when I forget about them >_<

Thanks very much for the link to the A-module converts.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  01:06:14  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemel

UK1- Beyond the crystal cave
UK2- The Sentinel
UK3- The Gauntlet
UK4- When a star falls
UK5- Eye of the serpent
UK6- All that glitters...
UK7- Dark clouds gather

I have run all but UK1 in and around Cormyr in the current campaign. UK1 is due an appearance in the Hullack at some point (I have yet to decide whom the eloped couple are)

Cheers

Damian
who is still busily reworking the B3 module to fit in Cormyr

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  03:13:45  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see Hullack forest for UK1. Who do you change the governor to? Would a rich merchant or minor noble out of, say, Arabel work do you think? And do you think the time shift should be kept as extreme as it is (1 hour "inside" = 1 month in the Realms)?
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2009 :  00:10:10  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can see Hullack forest for UK1. Who do you change the governor to? Would a rich merchant or minor noble out of, say, Arabel work do you think? And do you think the time shift should be kept as extreme as it is (1 hour "inside" = 1 month in the Realms)?

I don't know, I haven't pinned it down as yet. I suspect it will be a noble who asks the party as a (very quiet) favour from one noble to another.

Time - thats a good one! IMC I doubt it will be that timescale as the players have too many responsibilites for them to be away for years on end, maybe 1 day=1 week perhaps?.

UK2, UK3 and UK5 all took place in the Thunderpeaks

UK4 in the Stonelands

UK6 and UK7 in a demi-plane allowing the 'exotics' to appear without them being too ridiculous for Cormyr.

Hope this helps

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Artemel
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2009 :  15:36:58  Show Profile  Visit Artemel's Homepage Send Artemel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does. My players would have probably investigated every corner of the garden, and been gone for centuries of Realms time if I stick with the 720:1 ratio in the book. No thanks.

Now to pick two noble families for the Romeo and Juliet aspect... once I have a chance to look through my notes, I'll hopefully either find a preexisting grudge, or pick an older established family and a new money type noble family. That should explain the ill-will.

Maybe I'll post a write-up like the one for the Slavers series once I've run through it with the group (to make sure I didn't miss too much).

Thanks for all the help.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2009 :  23:07:05  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now to pick two noble families for the Romeo and Juliet aspect... once I have a chance to look through my notes, I'll hopefully either find a preexisting grudge, or pick an older established family and a new money type noble family. That should explain the ill-will.

Maybe I'll post a write-up like the one for the Slavers series
Thanks for all the help.

Re Nobles: Sounds good to me, an "old money, we have loyally served Cormyr for 13 centuries when these were but the Wolf Woods and Suzail was naught more than a small port town" faced with the fact that their eldest daughter (and heir) has ran away with nothing more than a 'grocers' son (a recently ennobled very rich merchant family who have demonstrated loyalty and good thinking for the last dozen decades or so years whilst slowly ascending to nobility).

Look forward to seeing your write ups for the A Series. I ran A2 as Lothchas' Hold, though the PC's thought of it as Barroch's Hold (getting their Bandit Lords mixed up ). An anything goes fort and trading centre deep in the Thunderpeaks. I made Markessa a Priestess of Shar backed up by a loyal and (deadly) Bugbear mercenary army. Essentially they were being part funded by the Dragon Cult who bought slaves from them to feed to their pets, err dragonkin allies as well as ensuring the Bugbears kept Sembian/Zhent/*insert any other group you want* interests at bay.

As a suggestion, best to post in Running the Realms section perhaps?

Glad I could help

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000