Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Oh, the irony.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  08:01:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It's amusing, after reading two threads on here, one of which is another of my threads that got high-jacked, that ENworld has a six page thread, at this time, about how the same topics/posters argue the same debates over and over and over and over and over again.

Maybe, as I've said before, people just need to let it go!

Just saying.....

Or, I really wish we had a ignore feature. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  08:11:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure Alaundo's got plans for an "ignore" function in the framework for Candlekeep 2. So...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  08:27:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm sure Alaundo's got plans for an "ignore" function in the framework for Candlekeep 2. So...

Good. :) I know of a handful of people who will be on my list. :) Just hope that 2.0 comes soon......

Edit: And I know that these two replies will probably annoy some posters. However, the tone of these boards and other boards, has shifted and I've noticed it since last year. It saddens me but we've had topics about this already and it hasn't resolved anything. So, I just wanted to post that I find it amusing and ironic that another board is having the same "problems".

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 19 May 2009 08:45:22
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  14:40:56  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find myself (mostly on the WotC boards) reading a thread and getting ready to fire off a response/salvo in the ongoing 'war'. Then, before I hit reply, I stop, count to 10, reread what I was going to say to see if it offers anything new and, 9 times out of 10, delete what I was going to post.

I think a big part of what's going on in D&D is a subset of the overall popular explosion of 'geek culture'. Many of us have been fans for years, if not decades, and along with that fandom came the 'geek' label. Now, we're living in a time when everything we've ever been geeky about (comic books, video games, RPGs, even cartoons) is what's popular. We've lovingly cared for this stuff for years and were ridiculed for it, but now it's plastered all over TV and the internet and we don't know how to react. For the first time, we're the 'popular kids' and we're lording it over those that used to lord over us.

Think I'm exaggerating? Take this simple test (spoilers inherent in the tests).

Star Trek fans:

Were you 'geeked out' over the new movie showing Kirk's Kobayashi Maru test? Have you found yourself trying to explain the significance of the test, or that Kirk was eating an apple during it? Or even just the fact that the 'third man' with Kirk and Sulu was wearing a red shirt and died? Now, truthfully, deep down, did you find yourself sneering at someone who 'didn't get it'?

Comic books:

The sheer volume of comic book movies are astonishing to say the least. They are extremely popular most everyone loves them. But have you found yourself complaining about the writers of these movies 'rewriting' canon? This is especially ironic since comics themselves can't keep canon straight in their own books, which we accept without issue, but the 'outsiders' from Hollywood aren't permitted to.

Anyway, I could keep going on, but I'm beginning to feel like it's a dead horse.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  14:56:11  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find myself in the twilight zone, where some of me is regarded as Geeky by some while my athletic side is noticed and praised by the same people. I guess I get the best of both worlds. On topic, I haven't spotted the posts that Kuje is talking about.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  23:21:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will I be on anyones future Ignore List? Yes an ignore list would be nice.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  23:46:00  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I try not to let my 4e Realms anger burst out. But occasionally it slips free. Hopefully I will get better in the future.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  04:56:47  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I try not to let my 4e Realms anger burst out. But occasionally it slips free. Hopefully I will get better in the future.

What he said: Honestly, I know I'm kind of new here, but if I ever rise to the level of being 'ignore-worthy', I'd hope that someone would send me a PM saying 'hey, dude... enough'.
Having said that, I just need to avoid any topic with 'WotC' in the title... but some self-loathing part of me always clicks, just to see the rest of me suffer.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  05:30:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

BRIMSTONE

Heh. I'm inclined to think I'll be listed on one or two "Ignore" lists.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  06:50:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

BRIMSTONE

Heh. I'm inclined to think I'll be listed on one or two "Ignore" lists.

You're not the only one!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  07:25:40  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deleted

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Edited by - Knight of the Gate on 20 May 2009 17:31:53
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  18:53:14  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

BRIMSTONE

Most likely I would put myself on any ignore list I created. There are enough grumblings without me having to read my own.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000