Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Wizard's 2010 releases
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  02:02:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

My bibliography of 4E Realms materials, which is always incomplete, lists over 80 products totaling almost 5000 pages of material. If you want to take out the LFR modules, it's still over 30 products (novels, short stories, articles, modules, "bound" RPG products) and over 3000 pages. And it's only been a year, with more coming every month.

Can you break that down? I don't see any way that we could possibly have 5000 pages of material solely devoted to the 4E Realms. We didn't have that many pages in all the 3.x FR sourcebooks!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  07:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If its 4e then it probably includes all the LFR and adventure modules.
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  12:20:12  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tyr's got the right of it. My working bibliography, right now, lists this stuff, with rough total page counts: three gaming sourcebooks/modules (550 pages); nine novel and short stories--that's up through Rosemary's book (2600 pages); fifteen Dragon (100 pages); four Dungeon pieces (40 pages); 52 LFR and Preview adventures (1600 pages--basing the page counts of those I haven't read on those I have).

That doesn't include the new Realms monsters that went up on the site today from The Restless Shore yet.

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  16:29:06  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Each of the LFR modules has 30 pages? How much lore is in those modules?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  16:59:27  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The LFR modules I've read have averaged about thirty pages. The lore amount varies, to be sure, not just from module to module but from region to region depending (I think) on the tastes of the Writing Directors, but they're definitely more about the encounters than they are about the lore.

That said, there's a fair amount, of various levels of interest and detail. Some of it is updates of previous lore (how Waterdeep's guard and courts function for example) some of it is wholly new (names and personality notes for the two principal at the Son of the Goat tavern in Silverymoon, to cite something from the adventure I ran this past weekend), some of it sort of "confirming what you'd assume" (there are still priests of "god" level deities, even if a Channel Divinity feat hasn't been detailed for them yet). That kind of stuff.

Other than that, the lore is what you'd expect from a short module, mostly taking the form of locations and bad guys.

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  22:18:16  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find the 'Writing Guidelines' for the LFR modules quite intriguing on this point. Lets see what they have to say, shall we?

quote:
Don’t focus your adventure on the past too much. In other words, don’t provide tons of background that is extraneous to the adventure. Keep history light and very adventure-specific. You don’t need to tell folks that “the Spellplague did this!” or “you know that this ancient tomb was founded in 867 DR by...” This intimidates new players and creates a situation that makes the adventure too “dense” with facts. The old Realms is gone; focus on what’s going on in the adventure. Ask yourself this question: Is this information really needed for the play of the adventure? If it isn’t, then don’t use it. (With that, don’t try to shoehorn history into an adventure as an excuse to “create more history” or “tell the story of what happened decades ago.”) Don’t try to resurrect the past just because you want to remind people of what happened in the interim. Let the novels talk about those elements.

And..

quote:
In short, you’re writing a D&D adventure that happens to be set in the Forgotten Realms. You’re not writing a novel or a history book. Keep your adventure focused on gameplay and not extraneous details.

Sounds like we'll get lots of lore from those!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  22:43:06  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strangely enough my players love when I bring old stuff into play...ok, between myself, my sister, and a good friend of mine we three already have more than 60 years roleplaying experience... and the rest of my group count for another 40 years... nah they ain't intimidated by lore, somoetimes it's rather that some are intimidated by massive fights...or nonstop fights...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6651 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  23:24:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

quote:
Don’t focus your adventure on the past too much. In other words, don’t provide tons of background that is extraneous to the adventure. Keep history light and very adventure-specific. You don’t need to tell folks that “the Spellplague did this!” or “you know that this ancient tomb was founded in 867 DR by...” This intimidates new players and creates a situation that makes the adventure too “dense” with facts. The old Realms is gone; focus on what’s going on in the adventure. Ask yourself this question: Is this information really needed for the play of the adventure? If it isn’t, then don’t use it. (With that, don’t try to shoehorn history into an adventure as an excuse to “create more history” or “tell the story of what happened decades ago.”) Don’t try to resurrect the past just because you want to remind people of what happened in the interim. Let the novels talk about those elements.

And..

quote:
In short, you’re writing a D&D adventure that happens to be set in the Forgotten Realms. You’re not writing a novel or a history book. Keep your adventure focused on gameplay and not extraneous details.

Ugh. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  23:30:34  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
<snip>
The old Realms is gone;

That just about says it all...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  00:30:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 'Writing Guidelines' for the LFR modules

Let the novels talk about those elements.
I'm a little confused. Hasn't it been stated by Wizards that the post-Spellplague novels will not feature significant details on past events?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 May 2009 00:31:40
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  04:20:16  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I find the 'Writing Guidelines' for the LFR modules quite intriguing on this point. Lets see what they have to say, shall we?

quote:

And..

quote:

Sounds like we'll get lots of lore from those!

This blurb encapsulates everything I've been trying to tell every $E and Sellplague apologist for a year now. Thank you, WotC, for so eloquently defining in your own words why you lost my business.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  05:57:03  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by 'Writing Guidelines' for the LFR modules

Let the novels talk about those elements.
I'm a little confused. Hasn't it been stated by Wizards that the post-Spellplague novels will not feature significant details on past events?

Another case of the Right Hand not knowing what the Left Hand is doing.

Brimstone

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  06:08:38  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've read those guidelines. I've actually read the entire document, as well as the guidelines of several of the individual regions, and, as I said, over twenty of the actual modules to see how they're implemented in practice.

And as for post-Spellplague novels not featuring significant details about the past, I don't know where that was stated, but it's certainly not been carried out in the novels that I've been reading.

But I think it's past time to let this one go.

Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  06:35:08  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's past time to let you Wizards guys go.

The Search for Morn * Combat Spreadsheet * Combat Map *
Go to Top of Page

Barshevy
Learned Scribe

275 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  06:35:44  Show Profile  Visit Barshevy's Homepage Send Barshevy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Except Ed, of course.)

The Search for Morn * Combat Spreadsheet * Combat Map *
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  07:23:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, on that note, I think we really need to get back to the topic.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  10:33:05  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back to the topic? Hmm.

WoTC are going to release the book 'Galaxy of Intrigue' for the SAGA line in 2010, which sounds like it'll be the book for Nobles. They've only got the Scout after that to work on. 2010 might also see a New Jedi Order book, which would be nice. I'd want to see Starships of the Galaxy 2, with a toolset for making and modifying ships. SAGA is such an awesome line.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  12:16:25  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who needs to modify a ship? Its not like they crash on remote planets or anything?
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  14:14:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Who needs to modify a ship? Its not like they crash on remote planets or anything?

How else can you make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs?

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  15:31:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Back to the topic? Hmm.

WoTC are going to release the book 'Galaxy of Intrigue' for the SAGA line in 2010, which sounds like it'll be the book for Nobles. They've only got the Scout after that to work on. 2010 might also see a New Jedi Order book, which would be nice. I'd want to see Starships of the Galaxy 2, with a toolset for making and modifying ships. SAGA is such an awesome line.

I think there was a campaign guide for the "Legacy of the Force" period of SW history scheduled for 2010 as well, as I recall. I've not heard too much about it lately, though.

Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  16:42:45  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to seeing the TOC for Realms of the Dead. Have any authors been announced?
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  20:11:18  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be surprised if they released a Legacy of the Force Era Campaign Guide soon, given that they've only had one line of novels for that so far. Sure you're not confusing it with the Legacy Era Campaign Guide, Sage? But you never know really. I don't think they've got many more era's to work with. Maybe Darth Bane's time? Or an Infinities book?

An NJO book could have information ranging from the destruction of the Second Death Star to the Yuuzhan Vong wars. Which would mean a lot of potential source material! Material that's getting added to with the forthcoming Star Wars: Invasion comic line.

And you're entirely right KEJR! No ships have ever crashed on mysterious planets. (Say, if Aruuna gives the ship a red paint job, will it go faster?)
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  20:33:27  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
WoTC are going to release the book 'Galaxy of Intrigue' for the SAGA line in 2010, which sounds like it'll be the book for Nobles.
I'm taking 'Galaxy' in the titles as a cue that these are really about war and intrigue in the galaxy, and not just more of the powergamer-pandering that makes reading these books rather dispiriting for me, despite some good content here and there.
quote:
I don't think they've got many more era's to work with. Maybe Darth Bane's time? Or an Infinities book?
There still isn't an era book for the pre-Clone Wars movie Republic!

Edited by - Faraer on 19 May 2009 20:34:54
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  00:47:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd be surprised if they released a Legacy of the Force Era Campaign Guide soon, given that they've only had one line of novels for that so far. Sure you're not confusing it with the Legacy Era Campaign Guide, Sage?
No, I recall GM Sarli briefly talking about possible content for a LotF-era campaign guide late last year during a Wizards discussion about "future campaign guides." He suggested that the production staff and writers were still "putting ideas together."

I'm thinking it's more of a possibility now, given that the series has finished, and has moved on to another period. [Or it might be more appropriate to wait until after the conclusion of the "Fate of the Jedi" series and whatever is to come after that]
quote:
But you never know really. I don't think they've got many more era's to work with. Maybe Darth Bane's time? Or an Infinities book?
Well, we've got another Darth Bane novel coming, so there's even more potential new information to come for a possible campaign guide. And as I said above, I'm sure some will count the "Fate of the Jedi" as a era all its own. Or, as Faraer notes above, a campaign guide for the pre-Clone Wars/RotE period.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  02:29:24  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh dear, I just looked at the thread on wizards.com about the Jedi Academy Training Manual -- which one assumes has actual new Jedi content in between crunchy bits -- page after page of speculation about min/maxing with lightsabers, with nothing resembling a human concern. This is the wretched culture Wizards has fostered in place of reaching out to the much larger market of Star Wars fans.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  16:43:27  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's understandable there's a debate about the statistics of the Lightsaber, given that the Great Lightsaber does seem actually unbalanced. Besides, one can actually have an empirical debate on that, rather then a debate on fluff.

Further, the various Campaign Guides, along with Scum and Villainy, have contained a great deal of fluff. The Jedi Academy book has some too.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  16:20:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't be worried. Nothing can ever truly keep down the Jedi!

*holds up her lightsaber as an inspiration to all*

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  16:42:53  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's funny, everytime I read posts about Jedi and such, I keep thinking of the Jedi Code, then of the Sith code. Then I want to start a rambling post about how neither are good nor evil.

Then I stop myself when I realize I'm on a Forgotten Realms message board.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  19:12:04  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

It's funny, everytime I read posts about Jedi and such, I keep thinking of the Jedi Code, then of the Sith code. Then I want to start a rambling post about how neither are good nor evil.

Then I stop myself when I realize I'm on a Forgotten Realms message board.

LOL I always wanna ramble about the WEG StarWars ... and I also have to hold back

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2009 :  20:02:54  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Yeah, I've read those guidelines. I've actually read the entire document, as well as the guidelines of several of the individual regions, and, as I said, over twenty of the actual modules to see how they're implemented in practice.
Do they contradict their own stated opposite-of-the-Realms', Nergal-echoing design intent?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000