Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Skyships
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  20:15:30  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all. I'm starting a new Realms campaign soon (as in, ahem, Sunday, so I should have asked this long since, but I've been busy with all the crafting that seems to take up most of my campaign prep time).

Anyway, the campaign is called "The Sixth Company" and at some point the PCs are going to wind up with a skyship.

If I've got a complete run of the Dwalimar Omen comics, Tom Prusa's The Shining South (FR 16), and Thomas M. Reid's Shining South have I got all that needs getting, do you think? How about fiction? I must admit I still haven't picked up a copy of Magehound, and that's set down that way, right?

Cheers,

Christopher

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  20:22:40  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halruaa is the only land really known for skyships prior to 4E, so I'd see about what Shining South has to say as well.

Edit: The sourcebook, of course.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 13 Apr 2009 20:24:15
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  20:23:19  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll want to look at "Sailors on the Sea of Air" in Dragon #124. There are also elven and other non-Halruaan akyships, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  20:44:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magic of Faerun page 159 has info about them.

And some of the Zakhara material has a bit of text about them. I can't recall which box set/sourcebook it is in but one or two of the sky-ships had been stolen and stashed in Zakhara.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 13 Apr 2009 20:45:21
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  21:35:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Hey all. I'm starting a new Realms campaign soon (as in, ahem, Sunday, so I should have asked this long since, but I've been busy with all the crafting that seems to take up most of my campaign prep time).

Anyway, the campaign is called "The Sixth Company" and at some point the PCs are going to wind up with a skyship.

If I've got a complete run of the Dwalimar Omen comics, Tom Prusa's The Shining South (FR 16), and Thomas M. Reid's Shining South have I got all that needs getting, do you think? How about fiction? I must admit I still haven't picked up a copy of Magehound, and that's set down that way, right?

Cheers,

Christopher

Elaine's Counselors & Kings trilogy (which I just finished rereading a few days ago) does include skyships, but the focus isn't on them. I don't think any of the three books has more than a few pages of action aboard the ships.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  22:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all! Ashe, I think the book you're suggesting is the Thomas M. Reid book I mentioned--those are the only two lengthy Halruaa game supplements, right?

Faerer and Kuje, I have both of those, so I'll check them out. And Faerer, I'm planning on specifically hitting the "last remnant of Halruaa" aspect of the Five Companies fairly hard as we go along, so the other types won't be handy for conceptualizing Halagard Again itself, but could be awesome if events take the heroes various places, so thanks for that reminder!

And Wooly, of course I need to read Elaine's books whether they're directly applicable or not, so thanks! I'm trying to keep up with the new stuff as it comes out, am engaged in this quixotic and intermittent "read the Realms" in order of publication project that encompasses articles, comics, novels, and game supplements stretching from early issues of Dragon (what is it, 28 or 30 depending on how you count the "Oriental Adventures" stuff? something like that?) all the way to, as of right this second, Erik's new novel, and am attempting to get a feel for the 3.0/3.5 era by getting all the game books and reading Paul's books. And hey, yay, got the final approval on the second outline and can start fictioneering in earnest tomorrow, so need to make sure I know one particular patch upwards and downwards and backwards and forwards.

I am so happy right now, this is such a good afternoon.

Anyway, skyships! I'll post a link to a picture of the model if it turns out nifty. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  23:20:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is at least one known Skyship hailing from the Utter East (grey Box) called the Blue Diamond, and I believe the Durpari have five(?) now, purchased from under-handed Halruaans (Darkvision). Not to mention that several are on 'permanent loan' to the Lizardmen of Rethild, the Great Swamp.

There was also one used in Once around the Realms - it appears that the Halruaans don't keep very good track of 'decommisioned' ships (the guy who runs the 'junk yard' has a side-business).

Also, from Dragon #228 (my favorite issue) -

quote:
261 DR, Year of Soaring Stars: Elven and human mages of Faerūn devise spells needed to sail the skies in this year, and new skyships are seen in Faerūn – the first such craft outside of Halruaa since the fall of Netheril. Cormanthor is renamed Myth Drannor, and opened to all “good” races. Its Mythal, a powerful, permanent protective magical field, is “laid” (cast) by many mages working together, Elminster among them.

Methinks Ed had a certain fondness for the Mystara setting - which he designed for - and it prominently featured one such ship called The Princess ark. I mention that, because Ed's Realms seems to have them somewhat more commonplace (although by no means common), and if you can find any of those articles - either in Dragon or in the almanacs, they could provide you with some great ideas.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Apr 2009 23:27:34
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  23:57:51  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that I've got most of the Dragon's that have articles by Ed in 'em by this point--need to do an index. I'll look for those, thanks.

Oh, and the Rethild skyships (or a couple of them anyway) are among those that make up the fleet of the Five Companies in 1479. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  01:21:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Christopher, you'll likely find Ed's "The Lost Ship" articles from the Realmslore series at WotC to be useful as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  01:46:16  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Christopher, you'll likely find Ed's "The Lost Ship" articles from the Realmslore series at WotC to be useful as well.

Holy moly, Sage! This is perfect! This is awesome! Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  02:16:30  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
[Elaine's Counselors & Kings trilogy (which I just finished rereading a few days ago) does include skyships, but the focus isn't on them. I don't think any of the three books has more than a few pages of action aboard the ships.

Correct, the focus is not on skyships in that trilogy.
However there is as much about them, that it is worth checking out the books. If I recall correctly, Elaine does not limit the skyships to being mere settings, but also provides a little bit of physical attributes of those ships and what they can do and what they can't. I remember having gotten a pretty good idea of what they implied in pre-4e Halruaa.
Worth checking it out!

-

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  16:40:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think that I've got most of the Dragon's that have articles by Ed in 'em by this point--need to do an index. I'll look for those, thanks.

Oh, and the Rethild skyships (or a couple of them anyway) are among those that make up the fleet of the Five Companies in 1479. Thanks!

I got my hands on an index of all of Ed's stuff a little while back.
It is on my home computer, so when I do get home I will fire the link your direction.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  16:43:16  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Has anyone ever compiled all of Ed's articles that are available?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  17:03:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have. I've got all of Ed's online stuff [along with most everything else Realms-related from the FR WotC website] compiled into easy-to-reference PDFs and HTML files.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  18:17:21  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have. I've got all of Ed's online stuff [along with most everything else Realms-related from the FR WotC website] compiled into easy-to-reference PDFs and HTML files.

Hmm....wonder how I could get ahold of Ed's online stuff??

And as for Skyships...wasn't there a short story or somesuch that had a spelljammer being drug along by some Baneites and a creature with a link to Bane ???

Edited by - The Red Walker on 14 Apr 2009 18:20:02
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  18:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be fantastic, Red Walker, thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

I got my hands on an index of all of Ed's stuff a little while back.
It is on my home computer, so when I do get home I will fire the link your direction.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  18:55:08  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No problem! I am sure it has all his Dragon articles and most everything else he has done. Even if it is not in the format you want, it should have the "goodies" that your after

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  19:14:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who would have guessed?

Sage do you have a life by any chance?

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  19:22:01  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I have the stuff! Or a lot of it, and mostly in physical copies. I just meant an index and/or bibliography. And actually, I'm working on one of those too! I'm trying to list all the game supplements, novels, short stories, comics, articles, and adventures in a format that's searchable and sortable across several different parameters (authors and other creators, date of publication, Realms date if known, "edition"). There's lots of sources of information out there, but none I've found that seems to list absolutely everything in one place in a way that lets an end-user sort the data and generate reports and sub-lists and so on.

quote:

quote:

No problem! I am sure it has all his Dragon articles and most everything else he has done. Even if it is not in the format you want, it should have the "goodies" that your after

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  19:56:42  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, three more sources to toss out at you, Christopher, also from Ed's 3E WotC Realmslore series:
Realmslore: The Realm of Nimbral, Part One
Realmslore: The Realm of Nimbral, Part Eight
Those two are the only mention of Halruaan skyships within that nation in that article series.

Serpent Kingdoms has an article on Samarach that mentions Nimbral, but I don't know how helpful that's going to be.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  21:55:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By goodies, I just meant it had everything indexed, even if it wasn't in the format your working on

quote:

Oh, I have the stuff! Or a lot of it, and mostly in physical copies. I just meant an index and/or bibliography. And actually, I'm working on one of those too! I'm trying to list all the game supplements, novels, short stories, comics, articles, and adventures in a format that's searchable and sortable across several different parameters (authors and other creators, date of publication, Realms date if known, "edition"). There's lots of sources of information out there, but none I've found that seems to list absolutely everything in one place in a way that lets an end-user sort the data and generate reports and sub-lists and so on.

quote:

quote:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  00:25:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I can send you copies of the Ed-lore compilations if you want?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  00:29:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

Who would have guessed?

Sage do you have a life by any chance?

BRIMSTONE

You'll have to ask the Lady K!

It's been noted also that the Netherese developed Skyship-like vessels. And that these earlier designs are probably what became the basis for the Halruaan-developed Skyship which is in use throughout the Realms today -- based largely on previous research and design techniques established by the Netherese.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  02:34:39  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ummmm......yes please!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  02:38:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Christopher.....

I hope this link helps, I plan on using it oneday to track down all things Ed I am missing. It has the best listing I have yet found.

I would have sent this hours ago, but it seems my 19 month old had claimed my power cord, and with a dead battery, I had to track it down through his play kingdom!

http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showcreator&creatorid=790

Edited by - The Red Walker on 15 Apr 2009 02:40:10
Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  12:10:16  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Sage, any chance you could send copies my way. Please?

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  15:11:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can do that as well. Just make sure you've got a viable email address included in your profile here at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  16:07:38  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When we are on the subject. Isn't there an old Dragon article (it may have been before the setting was even published) by Ed that mentions a skyship in connection with some of the Seven Sisters? I have been meaning to ask him about it, but I just cant remember where I have seen it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000