Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Non-elven Mythals?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  20:34:35  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is anyone aware if a Mythal type warding barrier has ever been produced by non-elven mages?

Could the Zhentarim, if they had dedicated resources to it, have created such a barrier around Darkhold, for example?
Afet

Afet bint Tuzanķ

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  21:14:16  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Humans have constructed many powerful large-scale wards, from the 7th-level wardmist through unpublished 8th- and 9th-level spells, short of a literal (10th-level) mythal.
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  22:10:19  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wards of Silverymoon are to all intents and purposes a mythal, save for being the work of n'tel'quessir magic. They are deatailed in the 3.5 sourcebook, The Silver Marches.
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  00:31:50  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may be wrong on this one, but I think Shoonach had a mythal-equivalent structure courtesy of Shoon non-elves.

Would the effects on the flying cities of Netheril also be mythals? The way they're described in the Erevis Cale trilogy I figured them for mythals.

I wonder if Zhent's could cooperate and trust enough to produce mythal-effects. They seem to lack the cohesive vision and intimacy I've associated with casters of such effects.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  01:24:14  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes the floating cities of Netheril are held up there by Mythals (both past and present versions of Netheril I believe, but the past ones definately)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  01:28:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myth Lharast in Amn is an example of a mythal city that had little or no elven input into its creation, given that it was dedicated to Selune.

Much of what the earlier editions said about mythals was vague and general. In my view the primacy of elven High Magic in mythal creation is more propaganda than fact. The elves likely did it better than the other races, but not always and certainly not exclusively.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  01:30:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Yes the floating cities of Netheril are held up there by Mythals (both past and present versions of Netheril I believe, but the past ones definately)

Are you sure you're not thinking of the giant "battery-like" Netherese mythallars instead Alisttair?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  04:12:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Are you sure you're not thinking of the giant "battery-like" Netherese mythallars instead Alisttair?

Indeed. Despite the unfortunate similarity of their names, mythals and mythallars are totally separate beasts.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2008 :  23:04:21  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everyone.
I agree that the Zhents might not possess the cohesiveness to produce a Mythal sized ward. I wonder if the Drow could accomplish it? If they were to retake the twisted tower in Shadowdale with Zhent support, perhaps they could attempt to construct a Mythal-type ward to prevent it from being retaken by the other dales or the intervention of Cormyr.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzanķ

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  04:59:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Thanks, everyone.
I agree that the Zhents might not possess the cohesiveness to produce a Mythal sized ward. I wonder if the Drow could accomplish it? If they were to retake the twisted tower in Shadowdale with Zhent support, perhaps they could attempt to construct a Mythal-type ward to prevent it from being retaken by the other dales or the intervention of Cormyr.
Afet

It would have to be an odd group of drow... Creating a mythal requires cooperative spellcasting. And from what we've seen of the drow, even when cooperation can achieve a worthy goal, they're still quite willing to off a rival for their own advancement.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  05:00:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Myth Lharast in Amn is an example of a mythal city that had little or no elven input into its creation, given that it was dedicated to Selune.

Much of what the earlier editions said about mythals was vague and general. In my view the primacy of elven High Magic in mythal creation is more propaganda than fact. The elves likely did it better than the other races, but not always and certainly not exclusively.

Do we know for certain that elves were not involved in the raising of Myth Lharast's mythal?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  06:10:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Do we know for certain that elves were not involved in the raising of Myth Lharast's mythal?
I don't immediately recall whether it's actually been specifically stated. I just remember that there were no specific elven influences mentioned in reference to the temple city. And the LoI references for Myth Lharast tell us it was dedicated to Selune: not the most elven of deities.

Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  09:16:44  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't immediately recall whether it's actually been specifically stated. I just remember that there were no specific elven influences mentioned in reference to the temple city. And the LoI references for Myth Lharast tell us it was dedicated to Selune: not the most elven of deities.

Before she remembered she was Sehanine...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  17:03:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

True, but there have been elven followers of human deities. Considering that mythals are generally elven, I'd be inclined to think there were some Sehanine worshippers involved in raising that mythal.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  17:23:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

True, but there have been elven followers of human deities. Considering that mythals are generally elven, I'd be inclined to think there were some Sehanine worshippers involved in raising that mythal.
I'm not so sure about that. Myth Lharast was founded as a "purer" temple city with worship solely to Selūne rather than the orthodox theocracy of the Minsorran*. And I'm pretty sure Krash already put forth the view that there wasn't much in the way of elven influence involved when the mythal was erected, during a similar discussion a few years back.

* The Minsorran was a short-lived conclave of different religious orders [to Selūne, Lathander, Shar and Mystra] that settled around Lake Weng in Amn in the Year of the Late Sun [300 DR].

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Sep 2008 17:26:01
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  02:33:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a long time Myth Lharast has been like a small hunk of meat caught in my back teeth that no amount of tongue probing can dislodge. Simply put, as a "Myth X" city it didn't make much sense. Similarly, Myth Iliscar on Lantan doesn't make sense either unless we put an elven presence on that island (pre-human obviously) as well.

I've tinkered with a few solutions, one of which gels fairly well with the current (and controversial) take on deities in 4E. I'd long latched onto Ed's statement that gods in the Realms use a large amount of subterfuge in terms of gaining worshippers and thereby deriving deific power. I'd envisoned that the Realms was saturated with little (and not so little) cult gods and religions which purported to worship X but in actuality were worshipping Y. Hence the cult of "Gorthak of the Storms" was actually worshipping Talos etc. etc. etc.

As such, I wasn't at all peturbed by the 'folding in' of various deities in the cosmology into others - ala the Sehanine into Selune change as well as others. To me it made sense as I had never envisioned gods in "my Realms" to be anything other than things to be worshipped with meaningful contact occurring more through manifestations rather than avatar or direct god/mortal interaction (ala some of the stuff Ed showcased in FR11 Dwarves Deep).

Drawing from that, and given Myth Lharast's location (surrounded as it is by elven lands and environs for millenia) why couldn't the city have had a sizable elven population who worshipped Sehanine alongside the humans who worshipped Selune (with 'both' gods - actually the same god - giving signs to 'their' respective worshippers that such a thing was "good") and thereby having a hand in the laying of a proper mythal by way of elven High Magic.

In fact, the coming of these moon worshipping moon elves (because Selune and Sehanine are all about the moon and magic) to the environs of Minsorran (led by 'signs' from their deity) may have been the catalyst for the breakaway from that state and the establishment of Myth Lharast.

So in answer to the question, it's not a situation where elves are worshipping a 'human' deity, it's elves worshipping an 'elven' deity alongside humans worshipping a 'human' deity. The fact that these elves and humans can live in social and religious harmony is clearly enhanced by the concept that they are in actuality worshipping the same deity with that deity nudging them into cooperation and interracial co-existence because it suits it to do so.

Anyway, that's my view on Myth Lharast from a post-4E perspective. I think it works fairly well, all things considered.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  02:38:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That works for me! Good stuff George.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  03:05:23  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed. Despite the unfortunate similarity of their names, mythals and mythallars are totally separate beasts.

Ah yes, my mistake. But the similarities don't end only upon the names, but they are quite different, yes. Thanks for the correction guys

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  03:26:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

For a long time Myth Lharast has been like a small hunk of meat caught in my back teeth that no amount of tongue probing can dislodge. Simply put, as a "Myth X" city it didn't make much sense. Similarly, Myth Iliscar on Lantan doesn't make sense either unless we put an elven presence on that island (pre-human obviously) as well.

I've tinkered with a few solutions, one of which gels fairly well with the current (and controversial) take on deities in 4E. I'd long latched onto Ed's statement that gods in the Realms use a large amount of subterfuge in terms of gaining worshippers and thereby deriving deific power. I'd envisoned that the Realms was saturated with little (and not so little) cult gods and religions which purported to worship X but in actuality were worshipping Y. Hence the cult of "Gorthak of the Storms" was actually worshipping Talos etc. etc. etc.

As such, I wasn't at all peturbed by the 'folding in' of various deities in the cosmology into others - ala the Sehanine into Selune change as well as others. To me it made sense as I had never envisioned gods in "my Realms" to be anything other than things to be worshipped with meaningful contact occurring more through manifestations rather than avatar or direct god/mortal interaction (ala some of the stuff Ed showcased in FR11 Dwarves Deep).

Drawing from that, and given Myth Lharast's location (surrounded as it is by elven lands and environs for millenia) why couldn't the city have had a sizable elven population who worshipped Sehanine alongside the humans who worshipped Selune (with 'both' gods - actually the same god - giving signs to 'their' respective worshippers that such a thing was "good") and thereby having a hand in the laying of a proper mythal by way of elven High Magic.

In fact, the coming of these moon worshipping moon elves (because Selune and Sehanine are all about the moon and magic) to the environs of Minsorran (led by 'signs' from their deity) may have been the catalyst for the breakaway from that state and the establishment of Myth Lharast.

So in answer to the question, it's not a situation where elves are worshipping a 'human' deity, it's elves worshipping an 'elven' deity alongside humans worshipping a 'human' deity. The fact that these elves and humans can live in social and religious harmony is clearly enhanced by the concept that they are in actuality worshipping the same deity with that deity nudging them into cooperation and interracial co-existence because it suits it to do so.

Anyway, that's my view on Myth Lharast from a post-4E perspective. I think it works fairly well, all things considered.

-- George Krashos

That's pretty similar to what I was thinking, Krash. I wasn't approaching it from any ruleset-specific angle; I was just figuring it was elven worshippers of Sehanine and human worshippers of Selūne. It's an obvious way around it, thinks I.

... Though you did explain it better, and with more involved Realmslore.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2008 :  06:15:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That's pretty similar to what I was thinking, Krash. I wasn't approaching it from any ruleset-specific angle; I was just figuring it was elven worshippers of Sehanine and human worshippers of Selūne. It's an obvious way around it, thinks I.

... Though you did explain it better, and with more involved Realmslore.

Hey, no sweat. It used to be my "thing".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

chance87
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2008 :  05:06:41  Show Profile Send chance87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm.

Mythals require cooperative magic.
Circle magic = cooperative magic.
Red Wizards use circle magic.

What traits and powers would a Thayan mythal possess?
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Thanks, everyone.
Afet

It would have to be an odd group of drow... Creating a mythal requires cooperative spellcasting. And from what we've seen of the drow, even when cooperation can achieve a worthy goal, they're still quite willing to off a rival for their own advancement.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2008 :  09:13:51  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: chance87: I was pondering the same thing, rather recently... specifically the idea that the entire Thayan plateau is protected by a simple pseudomythal similar to the one that holds up the Waterdeep plateau against all the excavation happening in Undermountain. The Thayan pseudomythal protects the plateau against collapse, extreme weather conditions, and outsiders (ever since that nasty business with Eltab); effects stronger than this are simply not possible with a magical construct of this size and expanse. This pseudomythal is recent, of course, being raised post-Spellplague, if you're playing 4E... if not (like myself and most others I know), then its date of creation is up to you.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 20 Sep 2008 09:14:49
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  09:11:48  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

I didn't comment on this earlier because I hadn't yet calmed down about the 4e changes. It's a great explanation, and I'll be incorporating this into my campaign's lore. I'm still on the fence over the whole god-aliasing thing. I like having hundreds of gods in the world, but even so, it makes sense that gods with similar portfolios and alignments and different worshipper demographics would work together and encourage their worshippers to do the same. Good stuff!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  01:40:51  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't like the god-smashing-togetherness. One of the things I've always liked about the Realms was the true polythesism, praying to twenty different gods in a day as you enter their sphere of control, and where there was respect between different faiths, both within and between races, because everyone knew all the other gods existed. 4e took most of that away.

But getting back to the OP's question, yes, humans have created mythal-like fields, Silverymoon and Shoonach being two which spring easiest to mind. The definition I'm using is a single field of magic, spread over a large area (preferably a city), that provides multiple defenses/boons to those within it, and which can last for centuries. Note, however, that they're called "mythal-like," as in, not quite mythals. This is partly ironic since Silverymoon was Myth Drannor's sister-city, and one would think they'd be able to get enough High Mages around to raise a mythal (or use the 10th level version).

Other examples are the Herald's Holdfast and the drow of Lyrathil in the Sea of Fallen Stars (which is called "extensive mantle magic that may near-equal the level of mythals, just as the Shoon sorcerors did...") Thay doesn't have the proper traditions to weave that sort of wide, single field of magic. Note, however, that they *have* made extensive use of smaller magics to make the land more fertile, tame the weather, and other similar tasks. Much the way the Netherese used to use 10th level spells to hold back the glaciers and warm their sub-arctic lands to a temperate clime. Only it's taken Thay many more spells to do the same over a much smaller area.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  01:42:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I don't like the god-smashing-togetherness. One of the things I've always liked about the Realms was the true polythesism, praying to twenty different gods in a day as you enter their sphere of control, and where there was respect between different faiths, both within and between races, because everyone knew all the other gods existed. 4e took most of that away.

How does 4E take all of this away "in game"?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  03:34:41  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of the deities that my players pray to are gone. They were either killed flat-out (Tyr, Helm, the entire drow pantheon minus Lloth, several of the dwarven deities), or had their godhood stripped away to become exarchs. Exarchs aren't gods, not even demigods. They don't form churches or have worshippers, they're just big targets for players to target.

There's none of the gravitas that the gods of the earlier editions possessed. Which isn't all that surprising, since we've had all of maybe six pages devoted to them. The problem is, the designers are trying to have it both ways. On the one hand, they tell us that everything is new in the Realms, that all the old lore doesn't matter. But on the other, the god pages make no sense whatsoever without lore from the older editions. What's Mielikki's sphere of influence? What's her ethos? What is a priest of Mielikki supposed to do in the world? These are fundamental, basic questions needed to roleplay a priest, and there's no answer in 4e. The answer seems to be, well, go look in Faiths and Avatars. But it's been 100 years since Faiths and Avatars, and things have changed just a little. How has Mielikki changed? You can't have it both ways, and yet that's exactly what they seem to want.

And then there are the demihuman deities. My games have a very strong demihuman component, and the idea that all the demihuman deities (except Corellon and Moradin, who for some reason have enough traction to survive even this) are actually aspects of human deities is downright insulting. Actually, the rest of my group had some rather stronger words on the subject, but I don't swear, so I won't repeat them. You notice, however, that no human deities were revealed to be demihumans. No one said, "Oh, well, Mystra was actually Corellon all this time." Instead it's, "Oh, you know that deity whose worship you brought with you some thirty thousand years ago, back when humans were still trying to figure out what that jumpy warm yellow thing on a stick was? Well, she's actually a human deity, and has been all along."

I could go on, and on, but I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have. Suffice it to say that there is nothing about the 4e gods that I like. Not from a lore perspective, not from a playing perspective

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 23 Oct 2008 03:35:36
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  17:32:20  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Suffice it to say that there is nothing about the 4e gods that I like. Not from a lore perspective, not from a playing perspective
IMO, this is on of the greatest errors they made in the 4e Conversion. They could have kept the 20ish gods that they put in the FRCG and then had DDi articles (or better, a supplement book, IMO) to detail the other deities. For me, the polytheistic faith of the Realms is part of what made it feel real to me. I am not saying that they shouldn't have killed off any gods, but the wholesale slaughter (or demotion, or merging; don't get me started on the merging of various human and racial deities) completely and utterly killed this feeling for me. It is one of the major reasons the 4e Realms feels nothing like the Realms to me.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Magister Sunstrider
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  04:42:53  Show Profile  Visit Magister Sunstrider's Homepage Send Magister Sunstrider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As has been noted, several cities of primarily non-elven population have raised Mythal style wardings such as Silverymoon. Thay on the other hand, is slightly different. The 3E FR Campaign Setting pg 207 stated:

"Inquisitive mages of other lands who dare to scry onto the plateau discover that overlapping wards - in many places now approaching the strength of the fabled mythals of old - overlie the land, effectively preventing spying from afar. Those who have reason to be wary of the Red Wizards greatly regret this divination "shield" and seek other ways to learn the Thayans' schemes."

To my knowledge, Thay's wardings have not evidenced any other of the properties of a Mythal such as antipathy or protection against evil spells that Silverymoon and Myth Glaurach are sourced to have.

As for the Drow, I seem to remember something about them lacking the "connection" that allows them to cast Elven High Magic and must instead use the standard rules for epic spellcasting, but I'll be damned if I can remember where or when I read such a thing.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  17:44:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Magister Sunstrider

As for the Drow, I seem to remember something about them lacking the "connection" that allows them to cast Elven High Magic and must instead use the standard rules for epic spellcasting, but I'll be damned if I can remember where or when I read such a thing.

-Correct (Though, The Lady Penitent Trilogy conveniently ignores this fact, or misrepresents what the Drow Magi are casting as Elven High Magic). Selu'Taar, when joining in circles, are able to cast Elven High Magic rituals because of (A) Their magical prowess, and (B) the communion of the various minds and spirits of the casters. Drow, in lacking that innate pseudo-spiritual connection to one another, like most other Elves have, cannot link their minds and spirits as Selu'Taar, and thus, cannot wield Elven High Magic. They can cast Epic Spells that look, act and smell like Elven High Magic spells, but they would not be using Elven High Magic itself.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ifthir
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  02:40:42  Show Profile  Visit Ifthir's Homepage Send Ifthir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

[quote]
-Correct (Though, The Lady Penitent Trilogy conveniently ignores this fact, or misrepresents what the Drow Magi are casting as Elven High Magic). Selu'Taar, when joining in circles, are able to cast Elven High Magic rituals because of (A) Their magical prowess, and (B) the communion of the various minds and spirits of the casters. Drow, in lacking that innate pseudo-spiritual connection to one another, like most other Elves have, cannot link their minds and spirits as Selu'Taar, and thus, cannot wield Elven High Magic. They can cast Epic Spells that look, act and smell like Elven High Magic spells, but they would not be using Elven High Magic itself.

Hmm, I recall the "drow" having help...

Spoiler below:
Weren't the drow actually dark elves using the powers of the kiira found behind Kraanfhaor's door? Didn't they then become these very 'dark-elves' who were punished along with the allies they never sought?

Also, didn't the actual high magic have help from Khelben's group of casters who also restored the sharn and their city, as well as the scene that cost Qilue her life?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  18:15:19  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ifthir

Hmm, I recall the "drow" having help...

Spoiler below:
Weren't the drow actually dark elves using the powers of the kiira found behind Kraanfhaor's door? Didn't they then become these very 'dark-elves' who were punished along with the allies they never sought?

Also, didn't the actual high magic have help from Khelben's group of casters who also restored the sharn and their city, as well as the scene that cost Qilue her life?

-This, however, does not take into account the problems in the first novel, Sacrifice of the Widow, where the Vhaeraunites use Epic Magic that is claimed to be Elven High Magic, to open a portal from the Material Plane to Eilistraee's Divine Domain, which Vhaeraun used to enter into her abode through. The individuals who were casting the spell were Vhaeraunite Drow. (That also presents a problem, in that Elven High Magic is not recorded on scrolls, as was the case in the novel, but in Selu'Kiira, but this is just added "icing on the cake", so to speak.

-The events in Storm of the Dead, in which Kiaransalee's name is erased from the tongues and minds of the people on Abeir-Toril was, again, and Ascendancy of the Last, in which those Drow of pure Miyeritaari blood, or belonging to the church of Eilistraee, cast by Drow Elves. This time, however, it was given a metaphorical asterisk, in that it was explained that the sentiences within the Selu'Kiira were the ones doing the actual casting. This explanation is sufficient, in that the essences within Selu'Kiira can possess the "host" that is wearing the gem. In most cases, this works like a Magic Jar effect, with the essence of the Selu'Kiira wiping the mind of the individual wearing it, and bringing him/her to safety (this is because, in most cases, those who decide to affix the gem to themselves are deemed unworthy to do so).

-But, after all of that, the long and the short of it is that the initial casting is problematic, in the notion that the Drow were casting Elven High Magic. It would be 100% possible and plausible for them to be casting Epic Magic, in that first instance, but not possible or plausible for them to be casting Elven High Magic (the specific 'path', or 'branch' of Epic Magic).

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 05 Nov 2008 18:15:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: