Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 (WIP) Blades of the SotRK artwork
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  11:21:09  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
[I'm waiting on my last player's feedback to get her character's greataxe up. Once done, I'll toss it up to DeviantArt in a more permanent fashion.]

The 3.5 game I run currently is called Song of the Red King ; set in 1370 DR, it features six players and an NPC cohort. It's probably the first party I've seen that's geekier in-character than out; of the seven, three of the characters are priests (note: only one is a cleric), but all hold rank in the churches of Oghma and Deneir), one's a wandering novelist, and one's a well-educated middle child of a Sembian noble merchant house.

Let it also be said that art styles bug me. 2e had naturalistic humanoids but almost cartoony art* for everything else, 3-3.5x had a wonderful blend of character styles and a painted feel to it albeit with a few dozen weird or unworkable weapon designs, and 4e...well, I have too many grievances with 4e, which shall not be listed here.

So after finally tracking down my sketchbook, I'd thought I draw up some realistic depictions of my party's weapons; so I did. Everything is 1/12 scale (i.e. 1 inch on paper is 1 ft. of the real size).

Blades of SotRK In Progress

Going from top to bottom:
-Sidesword for Noir, an errant author, swordswoman, and mind mage
-The scimitar of Alan, adventuring small merchant and duelist
-Alan's jambiya knife, made from the fang of a leucrotta
-The scholar's sword (jian) of Larin, an archivist of Oghma who studies swordsmanship. The sword is a shocking, darksteel weapon.
-"Eagletalon", a magic sword short belonging to Tarim, Inspirator of Oghma and Treasure Seeker for the Leaves of Learning.
-The morningstar (spiked mace) of Jorann, full priest of Deneir.
-"Inspired to War", a bastard sword version of Sean K. Reynold's original idea. Currently in the possession of Lorna, knight and bodyguard to Tarim.
-A hellforged Baatorian greensteel lance, taken from an elite narzugon cavalryman in the ruins of Myth Drannor.

*With the exception of Planescape. DiTerlizzi's Suessical illustrations warm the cockles of my usually cold and indifferent heart.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.

Edited by - Daviot on 13 Apr 2009 11:22:29

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  17:16:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice drawings, thanks for sharing.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  08:37:14  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well done, Daviot...
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  18:20:39  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Di'Terlizzi was excellent (in 2e MM too, my most used book). Gotta say one of the main reasons I dislike 4e is the artwork.

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  12:04:57  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Looks hastily through his spellbook for Raise Scroll. Ah, my necromancy section, there we—]

After digging my sketchbook out of my belongings (most of which are in storage over the summer), I got the artistic urge to finish the silly thing. The final version may be found yonder:

Page of Swords-Blades of SotRK

Enjoy!

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000