Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 (WIP) Blades of the SotRK artwork

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Daviot Posted - 13 Apr 2009 : 11:21:09
[I'm waiting on my last player's feedback to get her character's greataxe up. Once done, I'll toss it up to DeviantArt in a more permanent fashion.]

The 3.5 game I run currently is called Song of the Red King ; set in 1370 DR, it features six players and an NPC cohort. It's probably the first party I've seen that's geekier in-character than out; of the seven, three of the characters are priests (note: only one is a cleric), but all hold rank in the churches of Oghma and Deneir), one's a wandering novelist, and one's a well-educated middle child of a Sembian noble merchant house.

Let it also be said that art styles bug me. 2e had naturalistic humanoids but almost cartoony art* for everything else, 3-3.5x had a wonderful blend of character styles and a painted feel to it albeit with a few dozen weird or unworkable weapon designs, and 4e...well, I have too many grievances with 4e, which shall not be listed here.

So after finally tracking down my sketchbook, I'd thought I draw up some realistic depictions of my party's weapons; so I did. Everything is 1/12 scale (i.e. 1 inch on paper is 1 ft. of the real size).

Blades of SotRK In Progress

Going from top to bottom:
-Sidesword for Noir, an errant author, swordswoman, and mind mage
-The scimitar of Alan, adventuring small merchant and duelist
-Alan's jambiya knife, made from the fang of a leucrotta
-The scholar's sword (jian) of Larin, an archivist of Oghma who studies swordsmanship. The sword is a shocking, darksteel weapon.
-"Eagletalon", a magic sword short belonging to Tarim, Inspirator of Oghma and Treasure Seeker for the Leaves of Learning.
-The morningstar (spiked mace) of Jorann, full priest of Deneir.
-"Inspired to War", a bastard sword version of Sean K. Reynold's original idea. Currently in the possession of Lorna, knight and bodyguard to Tarim.
-A hellforged Baatorian greensteel lance, taken from an elite narzugon cavalryman in the ruins of Myth Drannor.

*With the exception of Planescape. DiTerlizzi's Suessical illustrations warm the cockles of my usually cold and indifferent heart.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Daviot Posted - 14 Jul 2009 : 12:04:57
[Looks hastily through his spellbook for Raise Scroll. Ah, my necromancy section, there we—]

After digging my sketchbook out of my belongings (most of which are in storage over the summer), I got the artistic urge to finish the silly thing. The final version may be found yonder:

Page of Swords-Blades of SotRK

Enjoy!
Marc Posted - 14 Apr 2009 : 18:20:39
Di'Terlizzi was excellent (in 2e MM too, my most used book). Gotta say one of the main reasons I dislike 4e is the artwork.
GRYPHON Posted - 14 Apr 2009 : 08:37:14
Well done, Daviot...
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 13 Apr 2009 : 17:16:35
Nice drawings, thanks for sharing.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000