Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 A better Baldur's Gate scan?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

uberelf
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  01:08:53  Show Profile  Visit uberelf's Homepage Send uberelf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am trying to get a hold of a better scan of the city map from Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast. The pdf that is/was available online has a cruddy bitmap scan of the city map on page 12 (13 pdf). Do anyone happen to have a better scan of that page where one could differentiate the numbers (1-29) from the buildings?

Cheers,

Uberelf

Calmar
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  16:06:48  Show Profile Send Calmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know that map, but maybe this is useful for you: http://thenightlight.deviantart.com/art/Baldur-s-Gate-108157643
Go to Top of Page

uberelf
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  16:41:28  Show Profile  Visit uberelf's Homepage Send uberelf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link, very helpful for the look and feel of Baldur's Gate. I am hoping to find a scan of the original map from Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast as it lists a number of additional sites and streets around town (29 of 'em total). But this link will also be useful.

Cheers,

Uberelf
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  16:52:33  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be careful though with all of the stuff going on right now with downloading off the net, At least with PDF's and WOTC.

This map specifically indicates

"(c) Wizards of the Coast 2008 - no permissions of use given to anyone."

just sayin

Edited by - scererar on 12 Apr 2009 16:53:26
Go to Top of Page

uberelf
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  18:35:19  Show Profile  Visit uberelf's Homepage Send uberelf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good word of warning, scererar. Important in this day and age. In this case actually, I'd claim Fair Use of the copyrighted material (TSR 1994, WOTC 1995-2008) as it is for:

A. non-commercial purposes, used for research.
B. the nature of the map originally showed the locations of the various sites in Baldur's Gate, only the cheap bitmap copy obscured it, I am only interested in re-establishing that information, and the original purpose of the map was for DM and/or Player personal research reference purpose for the D&D game, as it would be in this instance.
C. as I only am interested in the single page rescan of a 240 page book the amount and substantiality of the whole used in relation of the whole is miniscule (0.4% of the whole).
D. the effect upon the potential market for or the value of the copyrighted material is, essentially, zero dollars as the use will not be public and the original value has most likely been realized to its full extent.

These four factors would satisfy the Fair Use doctrine under the Copyright Act of 1976, 17 U.S.C. 107 of the copyrighted material in the United States and would not infringe the copyright.

I'm sure WOTC is twitchy about their copyrighted material as much of it clandestinely floats about the internet, and one cannot claim copyright unless reasonable measures are taken to secure such rights.

Anyway, I'm still interested in getting a copy of this page if anyone has it, please. I'll be most appreciative of the effort.

Cheers,

Uberelf

PS. My ex-wife was a copyright attorney for Napster and later Microsoft, I know enough about copyright law to make me ill thinking about it :)
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

503 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  19:59:58  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All these fears over downloading and internet based items seem to focus on the negative. I never knew this book existed and would have most likely passed it by completely when I saw the name Drizzt on it. Not to offend I am sure the books are great its just not for me.

But after seeing some maps and art from it. I may very well pick it up now. Can anyone who has it tell me if there are a lot more maps/images like these in it?

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  20:36:31  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'll see if i can make a copy when i get a chance, although if you have the FR Atlas program it has a niced up version of the same map.
Go to Top of Page

uberelf
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  20:40:36  Show Profile  Visit uberelf's Homepage Send uberelf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tyr (all hail the god of justice), I appreciate the effort. I have the FR Atlas paper copy (and on a mac), nice map but not contain as much info. does the FR atlas have lots of keyed locales in Baldur's Gate?

Cheers,

Uberelf
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  21:17:00  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tyr's referring to the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas, which includes a Campaign Cartographer 2 version of the VGSC map.

Not including the maps at higher resolution than the illustrations is the main flaw of the first generation of ESDs.
Go to Top of Page

Calmar
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  22:06:00  Show Profile Send Calmar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Can anyone who has it tell me if there are a lot more maps/images like these in it?"

http://thenightlight.deviantart.com/gallery/#Maps
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  23:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey uberelf, i've Pm'd a link for the map as i'm not 100% on the board policy for posting such things.

Also Calmar, we wish the Atlas maps were like that, but given whats there they put plenty of time in as it is.
Go to Top of Page

uberelf
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  00:24:14  Show Profile  Visit uberelf's Homepage Send uberelf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tyr, I can't PM yet (need more posts). Please do not hesitate to ask for any help. The link is perfect.

Cheers,

Uberelf
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  00:27:24  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

Hey uberelf, i've Pm'd a link for the map as i'm not 100% on the board policy for posting such things.

Also Calmar, we wish the Atlas maps were like that, but given whats there they put plenty of time in as it is.

Would you mind setting me up with that map scan as well, please? I'd really like to see it as compared to the version that I have here with me.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  00:58:18  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I got the copy. Thanks!!

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

uberelf
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  00:58:20  Show Profile  Visit uberelf's Homepage Send uberelf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that it matters but any idea what the red building is next to the South Gate, Tyr? Funny stuff. Maybe as it is unmarked it's the Thieves' Guild?...

Penknight, check your PMs

Cheers,

Uberelf
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  01:04:26  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by uberelf

Not that it matters but any idea what the red building is next to the South Gate, Tyr? Funny stuff. Maybe as it is unmarked it's the Thieves' Guild?...

Penknight, check your PMs

Cheers,

Uberelf

Nah, man... it's a Red Roof Inn.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

503 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  04:49:19  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume you are looking at the map from the Interactive Atlas and if that is the case you're in luck. It is Scarbradro’s Haven an inn.

Here is the link to Ed describing it. I had asked him that very same question about 6 months back.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

uberelf
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  05:06:55  Show Profile  Visit uberelf's Homepage Send uberelf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grand information, thanks for the info. Though a Red Roof Inn was my second guess :)

Cheers,

Uberelf
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000