Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Keoghtum’s Ointment
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  19:26:20  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Been running Ruins of Adventure with Pathfinder rules. I do my best to substitute monsters and treasure as I can, but I came across something I've never heard of: Keoghtum’s Ointment.

Is this stone salve? It's in the library with the basilisk and it's usually true to form for designers to stick anti-stone stuff in with stone-turning monsters.

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  19:30:25  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From: http://home.comcast.net/~tpcarpent/bard/items/KeoghtumsOintment.html

Keoghtum’s Ointment: This sovereign salve is useful for drawing poison, curing disease, or healing wounds. A jar of the unguent is small—perhaps three inches in diameter and one inch deep—but contains five applications. Placed upon a poisoned wound (or swallowed), it detoxifies any poison or disease. Rubbed on the body, the ointment heals 1d4+8 points of damage.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  20:52:52  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, here's the SRD information (it's renamed Restorative Ointment for SRD purposes )

A jar of this unguent is 3 inches in diameter and 1 inch deep and contains five applications. Placed upon a poisoned wound or swallowed, the ointment detoxifies any poison (as neutralize poison). Applied to a diseased area, it removes disease (as remove disease). Rubbed on a wound, the ointment cures 1d8+5 points of damage (as cure light wounds).

Faint conjuration; CL 5th;Craft Wondrous Item, cure light wounds, neutralize poison, remove disease; Price 4,000 gp; Weight ½ lb.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  21:32:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been in D&D at least since 2E.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  00:01:18  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Actually as early as the game itself. - its a play on the name Tom Keogh. Tom was one of Gary Gygax's best friends (from school onwards) and died before the D&D became popular.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  00:33:54  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And Keoghtom is a quasi-deity of Oerth, detailed in the 1983 World of Greyhawk set and featuring in Gary Gygax's Gord novels as Lord Keogh.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  02:08:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Considering who he was and what the Ointment does, sometimes D&D's history can be quite beautiful.

Cheers Gary

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  07:28:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Actually as early as the game itself. - its a play on the name Tom Keogh. Tom was one of Gary Gygax's best friends (from school onwards) and died before the D&D became popular.

Cheers

Damian

I figured it was something like that. I know a lot of the named stuff comes from little bits like that.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  15:30:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

Melf ("Male Elf"), Drawmij, Yrag, Arnd of Tdon (Don Arndt), etc.

I think there was a 1E artifact named after that last guy, too.

I always hated the name "Melf". A couple of the names work well, though, despite simply being reversals of existing names. I never really noticed that trick until the Spellfire game came out -- one of my fave cards was Gib Htimsen.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  12:45:50  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan
As for Arnd, I believe that was the "Invulnerable Coat of Arnd," or something to that effect. A number of the 1E artifacts (and gods) derived from players in Gygax's circle, as I recall.

Indeed, another in-joke in the Gygax/Kuntz camapaign. Don was always scared of his character getting hurt/killed and never took risks, hence why the Coat was invulnerable.

Gary told a wonderful story about Bucknards Everfull Purse and how it got its name.

More 'puns' here . The nomenclature in Greyhawk always seemed to be somewhat poor IMHO, one of the reasons I never bothered running there, it never had any consistentency and was often too 'jokey' (like Derek Desleigh an assassin from T1).

I think that FRP is about creating a sense of wonder, not having players cringe at another poorly named NPC, it justs seems to break the mood somewhat?

Cheers

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 02 Apr 2009 12:47:07
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  17:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Gary's naming wasn't always wholly serious, but that's no bad thing: his players certainly didn't cringe, except when he wanted them to. Rob Kuntz has recently discussed the important element of humour in the Lake Geneva campaign. Just as lightness and all-out creativity were stripped out of the post-Gary TSR Greyhawk (when it wasn't crudely lampooned), the Realms' own different lightness has been crowded out of much latterday Realms stuff by cod-heroic solemnity, making a setting that's wonderfully wry and supple look brittle, flat and shrill.

Edited by - Faraer on 02 Apr 2009 17:51:38
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  18:15:06  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Well, Gary's naming wasn't always wholly serious, but that's no bad thing:

I agree, play should be fun, with laughs galore as well as nail biting moments of tension - thats why we play games .

Consistency is a key ingrediant in FRPG, as is the suspension of disbelief. When things 'wake you up' out of the game world into the real world the game loses its momentum (at least for a short while).

Personally I prefer not to hear real world names for characters in the game I play and run. That is one of the good things about the Realms, consistency in fantasy naming of NPC's and something I endeavour to do in my game. People from a certain region/background tend to have similar names and name conventions, hopefully it adds some realism to the Realms as the PC's say "Oh, he must be from abc with a name like that"

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  20:53:12  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In terms of the Earth analogues, the original D&D and the World of Greyhawk (which, as we know, was a somewhat indistinct assumed setting based on the map of North America before it acquired its now-familiar geography) is only two removes, via Chainmail, from historical wargaming; and one of the pillars of Gary's worldbuilding was a sort of medievalist/Renaissance recreationism. Kind of a two-at-one-blow thing -- his article on the Swiss Confederation in Dragon #22 is good source material, for instance, for Perrenland. He postulated Oerth as the most magical of a series of parallel Earths (Ærth, Yarth, Uerth), and even then -- and I think this is a very interesting counterpoint -- his assumption was that most monsters came to Oerth from elsewhere, whereas Faerûn is where monsters known in Earth's mythology come from!

Of course, people's tastes in naming and belief-suspension vary wildly; there are certainly those who aren't fond of Faerûnian 'gibberish'. I guess I'm lucky to be able to enjoy such a range of aesthetics!

Edited by - Faraer on 02 Apr 2009 20:54:00
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  05:10:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love both.

When I ran GH in my younger days, I lived for puns - my favorite series at that time was Xanth, and I ran my world accordingly. The whole thing was avery long running joke that never quite made it to the punchline.

When I began running the Realms for a 'serious' (and yet MUCH younger) group of players, I had to drop a lot of the 'gags', which was a shame, because I felt a part of the fun had gone out of it (at least, for me).

I still love all of those old names Gary came up with, though, and I refuse to use any of the setting-neutral ones that came out later. Sometimes a spell-name has a long and complicated history behind it, and thats part of the fun (such as 'Tasha').

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Apr 2009 05:12:03
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  07:25:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I love both.

When I ran GH in my younger days, I lived for puns - my favorite series at that time was Xanth, and I ran my world accordingly. The whole thing was avery long running joke that never quite made it to the punchline.

When I began running the Realms for a 'serious' (and yet MUCH younger) group of players, I had to drop a lot of the 'gags', which was a shame, because I felt a part of the fun had gone out of it (at least, for me).

I've never been a Greyhawk fan, myself. I read the novels, back in the day, but what little was in them felt kinda patchwork, and that didn't appeal to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I still love all of those old names Gary came up with, though, and I refuse to use any of the setting-neutral ones that came out later. Sometimes a spell-name has a long and complicated history behind it, and thats part of the fun (such as 'Tasha').

On this, I totally agree! Having names on the spells just adds to the flavor, thinks I. Caligarde's Claw, for example, is a lot more of an interesting name than force claw. Given no information other than the name, if I had to choose between Caligarde's Claw and force claw, I'd choose the former.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  14:36:10  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, o furry one! If there's one thing that I don't like about the SRD it's that they generalized the spells when the Spell Compendium came out. No Melf's Acid Arrow, no Bigby's Crushing Hand, not even Tenser's Transformation. Very blah. But fortunately, *I* remember the names and I've kept to them in my personalized SRD.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  18:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Faraer--I find Greyhawk's nomenclature to be charming, at least most of the time.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  02:41:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Agreed, o furry one! If there's one thing that I don't like about the SRD it's that they generalized the spells when the Spell Compendium came out. No Melf's Acid Arrow, no Bigby's Crushing Hand, not even Tenser's Transformation. Very blah. But fortunately, *I* remember the names and I've kept to them in my personalized SRD.

And let's not forget Bigby's Crushing Tactical Nuke!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000