Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Running an Undermountain Campaigne
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BIOHAZARD
Acolyte

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  16:25:58  Show Profile  Visit BIOHAZARD's Homepage Send BIOHAZARD a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everyone,

I want to Start a large Dungeon Crawl Campaigne to the Undermountain.

Generally I want to discuss how to run a good campaigne in the Undermountain. Beside the Adventure Plot the Players should get the feeling of exploring a really giant dungeon. Below i described my basic Ideas.

I have 4 Players around Lvl 12. My last Campaigne ended with a message form Khelben who calls the Group to Waterdeep. The Adventure should start with the Arrival in the city. The Backbone of my idea is the adventure: Undermountain Stardock. So Halaster is kidnapped and the Gates of the Undermountain are out of control. The city is under siege from the creatures of the Undermountain.

But I dont wanna place the setting in The Crystal Labyrinth. The Group should start at the Yawning Inn Entrance of the Dungeon an then decent from there to Level 3 of the Undermountain. Finally maybe to a hidden Level where Halaster is kept by the Master-Villain.

So far so well. First problem is the situation of the city. It should be a dramtic situation, but if it is so, the group has to hurry through the dungeon as fast as possible. But when they hurry through this wonderfull big dungeon they wont have the feeling of exploring the complex. The freedom to just look whats behind the next corner. Because of that i thought of an plot which first removes the danger for the city but don´t solves the hole problem. Something like - the gates are controlled but Halaster is still missing...

Second Problem is, they dont know the Location of Halaster. But maybe they have a first Hint from Khelben. The idea is that they have to solve some smaller adventures in the Undermountain in different locations that lead them step by step to the final goal - the final hint that shows them the location of Halaster

If someone has ideas or unofficial material from own Undermountain campaignes or other helpfull stuff i would be very gratefull.

System: D&D Edition 3.5
Tools: I use MapTool to display the explored parts of the Dungeon on a LCD Screen.
Materials: I have nearly every book of TSR...but haven´t the time to read them all^^

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  17:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is one Dungeon Crawl module by Steven Schend that deals with Halaster's abduction and the resulting High Harvesttide: "Stardock", you might want to check that out

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

BIOHAZARD
Acolyte

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  21:35:13  Show Profile  Visit BIOHAZARD's Homepage Send BIOHAZARD a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stardock is the Adventure that is source of my Basic idea for the campaigne but i wanna custimize it to my own thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  00:00:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you considered not jumping off straight away with the Stardock storyline? Why don't you get the group to undertake a few smaller forays into Undermountain first so that they can map out various areas in dribs and drabs. After 3-4 or so forays into Undermountain when they are more familiar with level 1 and 2 perhaps, then you can spring Stardock on them.

The last foray before the Stardock one should gain them some city-wide acclaim (a rescue mission or perhaps them bringing back and old heirloom of the city that they can gift back to the Lords - for suitable recompense of course!) which then makes them the natural choice to lead off the Stardock adventure.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

BIOHAZARD
Acolyte

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  10:38:10  Show Profile  Visit BIOHAZARD's Homepage Send BIOHAZARD a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I think you are right. I am always thinking too epic...Some smaller adventures to the Undermountain as introduction leading then to the final mission, rescueing the city seems a better idea than trying to make an mega-adventure...
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  11:46:42  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Epic "happens"... usually if you use chain reactions in terms of who hears what in a dungeon battle.

e.g. The first battle is with a bunch of mobs, but it's so loud (due to fireballs and whatnot) that other guardposts are alarmed. Personally, I do dungeon encounters that way, it gives epic battles and has the enitre "it's real" issue incorporated nicely.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

BIOHAZARD
Acolyte

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  23:31:25  Show Profile  Visit BIOHAZARD's Homepage Send BIOHAZARD a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i will keep that in mind when my group encounters the first battle in undermountain...but i have an other question. I have placed the campaigne in the year 1372 DR. my timeline in the forgotten realms differs a little bit from the official timeline, but i have introduced the umbrian wizards and the phaerimm as important mights that could change the shape of the world. And now for this campaigne i´ve thougt that the evil behind the action are not The Twisted Rune but the Umbarian Wizards. They might found a portal to Starport and now they have the idea to control the portals created by Halaster. But when they finally try to gain control they must consider that the touch of their magic corrupted the gates totally.

What do you think of replacing the main villains? I know i am breaking with the storyline of tht FR but in my campaigene i must fit it to the thing if actually introduced to my players...
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  06:40:46  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's your world, do as you see fit. If Highharvesttide didn't happen in your Realms...who is to know the difference?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  08:12:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd imagine the Twisted Rune would know the difference.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  19:46:15  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd imagine the Twisted Rune would know the difference.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000