Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Photos of Riyadh Sandstorm
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  19:41:29  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
BBC has published some still photos of March 9th's monstrous sandstorm over Riyadh. The storm is so enormous that only a few buildings may be distinguished in the foreground of the two aerial shots; everything else is just a collection of smudges being overwhelmed by a wall of sand hundreds of feet tall.

Those who run campaigns set in The Old Empires or in The Empires of the Sands might find them helpful visual aids for players who have never witnessed such a storm up close and personal, and they will certainly put PCs in their place when players see what their characters are up against in some environments. (PC: "I attack Qysar Shoon VII with a magic missile." DM: "Shoon summons a wall of sand hundreds of feet tall to overwhelm you and your puny allies. You are plunged into darkness." PC: "I attack the darkness.")

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  20:04:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Do you have any Dew?"

That picture is incredible!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  20:38:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went thru a couple of sandstorms when I was a kid, but nothing like that...

Oh, and I give points to Jamallo for making a Realms connection.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  22:08:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but its got no Uber-Mummy's face sticking out of it.

I was trying to find a picture of that (and couldn't) for reference, and instead found another pic of a real sandstorm.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  22:26:27  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a good thing that that's sand coming at you, because you're almost guaranteed to crap your pants.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  23:15:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. When I ran a brief campaign in the Hordelands, the PCs encountered a severe sandstorm. Though I utilised images of the now infamous "Sandstorms of Mars" as visual aids for the campaign. Good stuff!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  09:12:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kinda makes me ashamed about bragging about having worked through a blizzard a few years ago (visibility - not quite enough to see my hands if I held the arms out straight - thank the Road Office for kerbsides to use for directional aid).

Edit: And thanks to all for not laughing at me for spelling kerb with a c and a u

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 13 Mar 2009 09:08:27
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  16:05:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've driven through a few blizzards, and even a category 3 Hurricane (one of the worst in Long Island's history) - It was fun.

But I'm betting the Blizzards by you are somewhat more... potent.. then anything I've seen.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  16:59:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I've driven through a few blizzards, and even a category 3 Hurricane (one of the worst in Long Island's history) - It was fun.

But I'm betting the Blizzards by you are somewhat more... potent.. then anything I've seen.

I've never done a blizzard...

I once had a friend lock me outside during a hurricane... He and I were both running in and out of the house, because how often do you get to experience 85 mph winds? This particular instance, after the power had gone out, I went out the back door, and down the driveway to the street. I turned and looked back towards the house, and saw Mike standing in the front window. It was clear from the way he was looking around that he didn't see me... So I ran back up the driveway, snuck along the front of the house, and then jumped out, right in front of the window.

As soon as Mike recovered from his heart attack, he ran to the back door and locked it, then went into his bedroom to call someone. One of the girls that was there finally let me back into the house.

So yeah, I deserved it -- but still, he locked me outside during a hurricane!

BTW, this was Hurricane Jeanne, the one that did a 270-degree turn to come hit us just 20 days after Hurricane Frances. Jeanne was a Cat 3, and came ashore just two miles south of where Frances had come ashore. 2004 was a weird year. From 1987 until 2003, I experienced one Cat 1 hurricane, and that was it. Then, in 2004, we caught two hurricanes directly, one as it passed across the state from the other side, and pieces of a fourth. Since then, we've caught bits of two of them, but both were really just seriously rainy days.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  17:19:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to Disney that year, so I got to see the damage. I arrived the day after the first (or second?) one, and the airport only had one terminal functional, so we had to circle for awhile. When we landed, the airport was full of water (it looked like it was hit by a Hurricane! ).

During that week, we did all the Parks, but the very first day we did sea World. At the gate they wouldn't tell us what attractions were closed due to damage - that we'd just have to "go in and take our chances".

Turns out EVERY marine show was cancelled, because ALL the pools had been contaminated! I went to see Shamu, and got to see a cat & Dog show!!!

They refused to give refunds, and I refuse to go there ever again, and try to tell everyone "Its a waste of money". It cost me a small fortune to bring my family to Florida for aweek, and I didn't go there for disappointments.

Anyhow, at the end of the week another hurricane was coming in. We arrived in the wake of a Hurricane, and high-tailed it home with another chasing us!

Still, it was a wonderful week, and we saw Florida at its worst (Trees and power were down everywhere). It looked a lot like Long Island after Gloria (the Hurricane I drove around in).

Living on LI, I get to experience the full savagery of Hurricanes AND Blizzards, not to mention Louisiana-style flooding several times a year. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Diversity is the spice of life.

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Mar 2009 17:21:54
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  18:02:06  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live in Canada so no Hurricanes or Sandstorms here, all blizzards....however those pictures of the sandstorm look nasty. Wouldn't want to get in there. Definately could have used those for the brief stint in Anauroch though.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  18:39:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I went to Disney that year, so I got to see the damage. I arrived the day after the first (or second?) one, and the airport only had one terminal functional, so we had to circle for awhile. When we landed, the airport was full of water (it looked like it was hit by a Hurricane! ).

During that week, we did all the Parks, but the very first day we did sea World. At the gate they wouldn't tell us what attractions were closed due to damage - that we'd just have to "go in and take our chances".

Turns out EVERY marine show was cancelled, because ALL the pools had been contaminated! I went to see Shamu, and got to see a cat & Dog show!!!

They refused to give refunds, and I refuse to go there ever again, and try to tell everyone "Its a waste of money". It cost me a small fortune to bring my family to Florida for aweek, and I didn't go there for disappointments.

That was prolly Charley. That was the odd one that was only expected to hit as a Cat 2, around Punta Gorda, IIRC. Just before making landfall, it suddenly jumped up to a Cat 4. Orlando was still visibly trashed from it when we ran there from Frances, a few weeks later. As I recall, it moved pretty quickly, which is prolly a good thing.

I've only done Sea World once, and while I enjoyed it (and got drenched by Shamu), I didn't think it was worth the same admission price as the other parks. Luckily, I had some coupons, and Florida residents don't pay as much for the theme parks, anyway.

There is one local theme park I've never done -- the Holy Land Experience. I wonder if they simulate sandstorms there? (See how I bring it back on topic? )

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  18:48:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there really such a thing? For some reason I think I remember something to that effect in brochure...

I did do Medieval Times though, the night before we left. It was cool, but almost identical to the one in Jersey and the one at the Excalibur in Vegas.

Boy... do I miss having money....

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Mar 2009 16:14:10
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  09:06:19  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nah, I live pretty far south in Sweden, so this is actually the only one I can remember, and even then it was only a blizzard for about two hours, the rest of the time it was a fairly vanilla snow storm (a blizzard but without the wind, which makes a surprisingly huge difference). As for hurricanes... I think Wooly's reported more of them around his area since I started visiting Candlekeep than there has been in Sweden for the past 100 years (so obviously I've managed to be outside in 2 out of the three I've experienced...)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Rabiesbunny
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  14:36:37  Show Profile  Visit Rabiesbunny's Homepage Send Rabiesbunny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went through a really stupid baby hurricane when I was little and lived out in New England. But up here in Minnesota, we must get at least one big blizzard a year (if we're lucky!). We've had a few storms this year where the conditions are complete white out (and sooooo many accidents!!!), so, I guess that could be kind of what it's like to be in a sandstorm.

O_O Though that looks scary. Snow is a lot more tame than sand, at least you don't have the dust to deal with.

"Then I was right. Jobe has all his children killed, and Michael Bay gets to keep making his movies. There is no god."
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  16:00:54  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I did do Medieval Times though, the night before we left. It was cool, but almost identical to the one in Jersey and the one at the Excalibur in Vegas.

I went to Medieval Times in Toronto once. It was a great show for sure.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  16:28:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Nah, I live pretty far south in Sweden, so this is actually the only one I can remember, <snip>
Just checking a world map real quick because you got me curious...

I'm at about the same latitude as central Spain; even in southern Sweden your still WAY further north then I (Thats why I would imagine your winters are a bit more brutal, on the average).

I know their are other factors, like the Gulf Stream and the North-Atlantic current that affect climate, so my guess could be way off. Looking at the map, I know I don't have a 'mediterranean' climate, and yet I'm at the same lattitude. We got over a foot of snow with that last storm just two weeks ago.

Occassionally we get days over a hundred in the summer, and below zero in the winter (we had a couple like that this year), and I've seen days where the temperture has swung forty degrees in a single day. Its fun being mother-nature's playground.

We've even had a couple of those California-style brush fires, burning down thousands of acres of Pine Barrens, and in the last decade we started getting Tornados (small ones by comparison, but we never got them before... and the Gov't tells us the climate isn't changing).

Anyhow, I'm just glad I don't also get Sandstorms - there's a limit to how much 'fun' I can take.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Mar 2009 16:31:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  16:38:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

I did the one in Orlando, too, and it was a hoot. I bought a wooden dagger, and was going crazy waving it around and shouting "Huzzah!" I also quite amused one of the serving girls -- when the king said something about them bringing out the food, I yelled "Bring on the wenches!" in agreement. One of the serving girls (and a very pretty one, too) was walking by right when I said that, and she was clearly amused by it.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  17:21:29  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

I did the one in Orlando, too, and it was a hoot. I bought a wooden dagger, and was going crazy waving it around and shouting "Huzzah!" I also quite amused one of the serving girls -- when the king said something about them bringing out the food, I yelled "Bring on the wenches!" in agreement. One of the serving girls (and a very pretty one, too) was walking by right when I said that, and she was clearly amused by it.

I'm gonna have to scream that next time I go. Also, I like how you can pay to have your reason for going announced (I only had me and my girlfriend celebrating our first time there since I didn't know, someone wa celebrating their invasion of France lol) - soooo I'm thinking about having it be FR related...just not sure what would be best...any suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  17:25:42  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snip>
I'm gonna have to scream that next time I go. Also, I like how you can pay to have your reason for going announced (I only had me and my girlfriend celebrating our first time there since I didn't know, someone wa celebrating their invasion of France lol) - soooo I'm thinking about having it be FR related...just not sure what would be best...any suggestions?

Too... many... can't focus!

Depends. Good or Evil? Where (in Faerūn) are you from? Any honorable mentions of NPCs?

If it were me, it'd be something about "celebrating routing the local Zhents from the Dalelands" or somesuch.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  17:50:56  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart
Too... many... can't focus!

Depends. Good or Evil? Where (in Faerūn) are you from? Any honorable mentions of NPCs?

If it were me, it'd be something about "celebrating routing the local Zhents from the Dalelands" or somesuch.

Probably something like that. Maybe a mention of a deity, and I would probably hail from Waterdeep...maybe "destroying the Secret Temple of Cyric in Waterdeep"

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  21:29:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I'm here to save Mystra, goddess of magic, from the evil depradations of thine Wizards who hail from yonder coast!"

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  22:22:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm at about the same latitude as central Spain; even in southern Sweden your still WAY further north then I (Thats why I would imagine your winters are a bit more brutal, on the average).

I know their are other factors, like the Gulf Stream and the North-Atlantic current that affect climate, so my guess could be way off.

Yes, those other factors make a huge difference in Sweden's case.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 13 Mar 2009 22:23:26
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  10:17:06  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

I know their are other factors, like the Gulf Stream and the North-Atlantic current that affect climate, so my guess could be way off.

Yes, those other factors make a huge difference in Sweden's case.

Actually, they make a huuuuge difference. There are parts of Greenland that's further south than where I live, and I'm pretty sure their winters are colder than mine I believe the coldest day I've experienced here was slightly below -20 degrees Celsius, but the norm during the winter tends to be between 5 degress above 0 to 5 degrees below. And being fairly close to the coast (as well as the second largest lake in Europe) we get more rain than snow.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  16:11:31  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snip>... slightly below -20 degrees Celsius, but the norm during the winter tends to be between 5 degress above 0 to 5 degrees below.<snip>

For my fahrenheit brothers and sisters, that comes out to around -5F and between 41F and 23F.

And, just for the record, this winter in Minnesota we saw -15F (-25C) with wind chills hitting -30F (-35C). Yep, spent a lot of time indoors this winter.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  16:22:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

<snip>... slightly below -20 degrees Celsius, but the norm during the winter tends to be between 5 degress above 0 to 5 degrees below.<snip>

For my fahrenheit brothers and sisters, that comes out to around -5F and between 41F and 23F.

And, just for the record, this winter in Minnesota we saw -15F (-25C) with wind chills hitting -30F (-35C). Yep, spent a lot of time indoors this winter.

This winter in Melbourne, it got as cold as 38F (3C)!

I hate the weather down here. It's often warm enough to go to the beach on Christmas Day... And our seasons are hot, not-quite-as-hot, and mild-with-flipflopping-periods-of-heat-and-chilliness.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  16:34:15  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to college in Baltimore, Maryland, and spent a month in Berlin as part of an intensive German class. In January. Early in the semester, our professor told us to pack warmly. "After all, Baltimore is on the same latitude as southern Greece." That got some of the people who hadn't been north of Maryland thinking...

I also worked for nearly a decade for an exchange student company, moving international students (many with limited English) between flights at Los Angeles International Airport. One memorable winter, I picked up five Australian girls from three different flights coming into the country. It was January, and they were all from various parts of the Outback, which meant they were coming from temperatures in the neighborhood of 40 C (104 F) and as soon as we got outside they were pulling out sweatshirts, muttering "It's so cold."

Now, this is LA. Sure, LAX is near the ocean, but it's still only 60 F at the worst, with a little breeze. I'm in a t-shirt and shorts, and unlike them, perfectly comfortable. So I look at them and calmly ask them where they're heading.

Green Bay, Wisconsin (not called the Frozen Tundra for no reason). Michigan's Upper Penninsula (known for getting more than 30 feet of snow in one winter). And upper Minnesota (where the day before the temperature had hit -40 F/C). I was taking even odds that they would freeze solid between the terminal and their host family's cars.

But at least it would be something different for them...

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  18:46:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to Mazitlan, Mexico, which is just about as far south as you can go and still be in Mexico. It was January - and it was around 70 degrees the whole time we were there (the natives were wearing light jackets - they thought it was 'chilly'). We came back wearing what we wore there - T-shirts and shorts... and got off the plane back in NY in a bad snowstorm!

That SUCKED.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  23:29:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay folks, we seem to be getting somewhat off-topic here. Let's bring it back to the original point of discussion, eh?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Einheriar
Acolyte

Denmark
3 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  16:04:41  Show Profile  Visit Einheriar's Homepage Send Einheriar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty good pictures of an incomming sandstorm. I have seen quite a few of these while in the red sea area.

Experienced one in january when i was flying home from Borneo, and had a stopover in Dubai, I was stuck in the airport till it blew over and they had cleared the runways.

Seems weather is getting more and more dire the last few years, as a diver i experience alot of strange weather and changing ecologi.

Where there used to be some of the most beutifull coral reefs you could imagine, now there is dead bleached coral gardens, because of higher temperature in the oceans.

I also noticed a fluctuation of the moonson, where you once could count on it, now it seems more eratic.

Also saw some pretty cool water twisters this year, never seen them before, one was in Kota Kinabalou on borneo, and the other in the harbour of singapore.

Sometimes the weather can be awe inspiring.

Edited by - Einheriar on 02 Apr 2009 16:06:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000