Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faerunian Schools of Archaeology
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Saegis
Acolyte

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  20:28:14  Show Profile  Visit Saegis's Homepage Send Saegis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
After having read through the majority of the FR supplement "Lost Empires of Faerun" I started pondering the possibilities of schools or even universities within Faerun dedicated to archaeology.

If the Realms can be guilty of one thing, I would say it is the abundance of history it contains. While Lost Empires of Faerun was informative there was nothing within it in regards to organizations interested in the archaeology of the Realms. Has anyone perchance stumbled upon a scroll or other piece of information that might light my darkened path?

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  21:09:11  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candlekeep would have all your researching desires, both arcane and historical.
it just has a huge pricetag to enter.

the library in Silverymoon would also have scrolls, maps and a few other things with in it.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  21:45:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking along similar lines - that CandleKeep would have 'Field Agents' who would sponsor 'digs' and what-not, but not neccessarily let it be known that CandleKeep was behind them.

Isn't there also some Elvem group that does something along these lines?

Anyhow, I could see an 'Indian Jones' type working for the Keep... probably on Commision...

On the other hand, fantasy (RPG) worlds really don't need this sort of thing - thats what Adventurers are for.

In Golarion (Paizo's world) there is a group along these lines, called - appropriately - The Pathfinder Society, which are a combination of Explorers, adventurers, big-game hunters, and Archaelogists all in one.

I always thought they would be a good fit in the Realms, especillay in Tethyr and/or Amn, with all the Who-Ha about Maztica (obviously this was a 3e idea).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Mar 2009 23:21:15
Go to Top of Page

Saegis
Acolyte

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  23:02:19  Show Profile  Visit Saegis's Homepage Send Saegis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*facepalm*

Why didn't I think of Candlekeep?

I'll have to keep my eyes and ears out for that elven group, and also do some reading on Silverymoon.

While many adventurers have stumbled upon the ruins of civilizations, I wonder if maybe there was a group of thrill-seekers who utilized an exacting method of categorization and study. As opposed to the all too common "steal everything that isn't bolted down" form of exploration.

Thank you for the information, I'll have to follow up on this.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  23:12:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been a while since I've read it, but I do recall an archaeological society of sorts being referenced in the Lost Library of Cormanthyr novel.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  23:16:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and the "Forgotten Scroll" -- an organisation I started to detail in the first Volume of the Candlekeep Compendium -- is actually taken from my notes on the society of the same name that's active in my Realms. Since archaeology is something I've always keenly been interested in, I've made every attempt to expand on what limited info we have on archaeological pursuits in the Realms [mostly from historical sourcebooks and the like]. Sadly though, most of that info is directly tied to MY Realms, and will likely be of little use to you.

Additionally, I've also been establishing a Seeker society [based on a similar collective in the Goliath Scorpion Clan in Classic BattleTech]. They use a narcotic called necrosia to induce vision-quests that help direct their searches for long forgotten relics of the ancient Star League. I've yet to determine a suitable Realms-equivalent for necrosia however.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  23:21:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Additionally, I've also been establishing a Seeker society [based on a similar collective in the Goliath Scorpion Clan in Classic BattleTech]. They use a narcotic called necrosia to induce vision-quests that help direct their searches for long forgotten relics of the ancient Star League. I've yet to determine a suitable Realms-equivalent for necrosia however.

Toril was part of the Star League?

Does that mean there's a memory core hidden somewhere in Candlekeep?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  23:34:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. Helm has it!

*score*

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  23:36:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Elven Organization is in LEoF, which is why I didn't look it up - I had assumed you saw it since you mentioned that source.

They are the Olin Gisir ('Secret Keepers') - not exactly an Archaelogical sociey, but close-enough in Elven terms (after all, an Elf in a thousand-year old dig might just be looking for his own baby rattle).

quote:

Might I suggest Sponge (Wellworld), Spice (Dune), or Krrf (Thieves World)?

I use them all, and a few of my own. I used to have a comprehensive list of Fantasy/SciFi drugs for use in my games, and I remember some folks thought I spent way too much time on that subject. There was one in the Jack Vance novels as well, although it's name escapes me; that might be more appropriate, given it's ties to D&D.

I had one of my own called Manstash, which was created by the High Elves of old, in order to keep humans ignorant and docile (it only worked on humans). They don't call them HIGH Elves for nothing.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Mar 2009 23:46:55
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  00:18:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No. Helm has it!

*score*

Wow. A horrible, cross-game pun. I salute you, sir!

Of course, that makes me wonder how the Gray Death Legion is going to factor in...

Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  00:44:32  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is pretty far from being on topic, but just today I was in communication with a staff archeologist at the Kentucky Archeological Survey who identified a piece I dug up while I was tearing down a fence in our back yard. It's a spear point that's between three and six THOUSAND years old!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  01:01:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

This is pretty far from being on topic, but just today I was in communication with a staff archeologist at the Kentucky Archeological Survey who identified a piece I dug up while I was tearing down a fence in our back yard. It's a spear point that's between three and six THOUSAND years old!

Wow, that's amazing. A bit humbling, too, when you think about it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 12 Mar 2009 01:02:13
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  01:03:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Propbably Imaskari, then - too old to be Netherease.

Maybe they were trying get some Indians, to go with those Mesopotamians?

Go to Top of Page

Saegis
Acolyte

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  01:53:26  Show Profile  Visit Saegis's Homepage Send Saegis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay, I was caught up in the magelord prestige class and reading about some particular lost human kingdoms (Athalantar, naturally) that I completely skipped the Olin Gisir (Olin Gisiae). Upon perusal of the PrC I have to admit that it really fits my idea of the sage wizard within the Realms, a group of wizards that dedicate themselves to arcane history and Realms history. On the other hand it seems to be Elf and Half-elf exclusive. Thank you for that bit of info.

Come to think of it I would not be surprised if certain faithful of Oghma were to be found prying the secrets of the past from the ruins of Faerun. I'll have to add the religion of the Lord of Knowledge to my ever-growing list of research.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  03:04:38  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the church of Oghma would employ arcane/ loremasters.

but what about the Kell Hounds, how would they fit into the realms????

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

old man
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  03:13:48  Show Profile  Visit old man's Homepage Send old man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This makes me think of Artemis Cimber (?) the guy from the Ring of Winter. The details are a bit fuzzy as I haven't read the story in quite a while, but didn't he make a stop at some sort of adventurers type house?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  06:11:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was also the "Shade Hunter" PrC from Champions of Ruin too. It's set up as a 'treasure-seeker/archaeologist' type as I recall.
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

the church of Oghma would employ arcane/ loremasters.

but what about the Kell Hounds, how would they fit into the realms????

Or even Cranston Snord's Irregulars?

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  06:27:21  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and the Northwind Highlanders

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  06:46:52  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Team Banzai

Was always a shame in my mind that they had to write out Dr. Banzai from canon, when he was the first one to put an Axe in his 'mechs hand...

To go back to topic, I never saw much of archaeology in the Realms. Oh, sure, you have your Manshoons pillaging ancient tombs and ruins, but I never felt that there were that many individuals heading to those sites just to see 'how they lived' back then.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  06:47:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saegis

Markustay, I was caught up in the magelord prestige class and reading about some particular lost human kingdoms (Athalantar, naturally) that I completely skipped the Olin Gisir (Olin Gisiae). Upon perusal of the PrC I have to admit that it really fits my idea of the sage wizard within the Realms, a group of wizards that dedicate themselves to arcane history and Realms history. On the other hand it seems to be Elf and Half-elf exclusive. Thank you for that bit of info.

Drop the racial requirements, rename the group and maybe tweak its history a bit, and you've got the historical/archaelogical society you need.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  06:51:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by old man

This makes me think of Artemis Cimber (?) the guy from the Ring of Winter. The details are a bit fuzzy as I haven't read the story in quite a while, but didn't he make a stop at some sort of adventurers type house?

The Society of Stalwart Adventurers, I believe it was called. It was more a club for adventurers and wannabe adventurers than any kind of historical society -- the records and such that they had were mostly incidental, I think. They may have had a lot of books and info in their libraries, but most of it would be what prior adventurers (who may or may not be the most educated or most observant sorts) had done and seen, and info gathered on particular topics by specifically interested members.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  06:55:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Team Banzai

Was always a shame in my mind that they had to write out Dr. Banzai from canon, when he was the first one to put an Axe in his 'mechs hand...

My flip comment certainly seems to have generated some fun responses...

quote:

To go back to topic, I never saw much of archaeology in the Realms. Oh, sure, you have your Manshoons pillaging ancient tombs and ruins, but I never felt that there were that many individuals heading to those sites just to see 'how they lived' back then.

Yeah, that's a good point. There might be small groups specifically interested in how life was lived of old, but most people and groups are going to be more interested in the money and magic of those older peoples.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  07:05:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

The Society of Stalwart Adventurers, I believe it was called. It was more a club for adventurers and wannabe adventurers than any kind of historical society -- the records and such that they had were mostly incidental, I think. They may have had a lot of books and info in their libraries, but most of it would be what prior adventurers (who may or may not be the most educated or most observant sorts) had done and seen, and info gathered on particular topics by specifically interested members.

The Society also features in the "Laughter in the Flames" tale by James Lowder in the Realms of Infamy anthology.

Go to Top of Page

Saegis
Acolyte

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  07:19:35  Show Profile  Visit Saegis's Homepage Send Saegis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I'll do just that Wooly, there's nothing wrong with "borrowing" from a pre-existing group and adding some twists.

As for the idea that archaeology is only used to gain power, it does make a lot of sense to rob ancient tombs or wizard towers to add to ones collection. But I do love the addle-brained scholar archetype who values knowledge over power.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  12:36:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saegis

Maybe I'll do just that Wooly, there's nothing wrong with "borrowing" from a pre-existing group and adding some twists.

As for the idea that archaeology is only used to gain power, it does make a lot of sense to rob ancient tombs or wizard towers to add to ones collection. But I do love the addle-brained scholar archetype who values knowledge over power.

Oh, I agree whole-heartedly. I just think that there isn't enough of them in the Realms to make archaeology a bonafide science in the Realms. Nothing pleases me more than said scholar hiring a group of adventurers to seek out a vault, ignoring the magical artifacts that lie within, looking for a first edition treatise on the history of an ancient kingdom to 'complete his collection'.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  15:58:05  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It was the Society of Stalwart Venturers (I think), in Cormyr.

For that matter, the Harpers used to be described as a group interested in preserving and protecting knowledge of the past.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  16:00:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, I agree whole-heartedly. I just think that there isn't enough of them in the Realms to make archaeology a bonafide science in the Realms. Nothing pleases me more than said scholar hiring a group of adventurers to seek out a vault, ignoring the magical artifacts that lie within, looking for a first edition treatise on the history of an ancient kingdom to 'complete his collection'.

Which is ideal for both a plothook and a 'patron-type' for lower-level groups.

"Oh... you guys can keep all the shiney stuff... I just want this moldy copy of Secret Loves of the Obarskyrs for my Romance-Chapbook series."

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Mar 2009 16:01:50
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  22:26:24  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Now who is going to be the nazi group? Gotta have a nazi group you know. One that wants to use the tomes and artifacts for some super nefarious plot.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 12 Mar 2009 23:10:15
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  22:52:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zhents, naturally.

They are always trying to take-over some one else's digs and get the good stuff.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  23:05:30  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there are others.
the church of cyric

The Cult of the shattered peaks

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  00:54:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interestingly enough, my most vivid memories of archeologists and archeological excavation sites were from the CRPGs (ie. Baldur's Gate).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000