Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Question regarding "Elminster Must Die!", Epilogue
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  19:39:46  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In EMD!'s Epilogue, Storm crawls to a bed, opens a coffer, then flings herself upon then forcefully kisses Arclath Delcastle while some ashes flow up a "young dancer" and into 'her'. AND Amarune rose, smiled down at them with Elmister's eyes-which danced with joy-and went out into the night.

What the hell happened in that scene? I, like, is Amarune lying with Arclath, and so is like Storm kissing him because she thinks that he will think that she is Amarune, and so just go back to bed? And not notice that the contents of the funerary coffer Storm has just opened are mystically swirling around? And, like, who are the ashes mystically flowing "up" before flowing into... Storm? Is that right? Do the ashes flow up Amarune and into Storm? So, Amarune then rises, existentially, but with "eyes that danced with joy"?

Just, like, I have no idea what is going on in this scene.

Could someone please explain this scene in EMD!?

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  20:35:56  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILERS

Well, the way I understood it, El's been transformed into an "ash-wraith" or something and can only truly interact with the world if he possesses someone. From the scenes before that, he struck a deal with Amarune that she would be his vessel, whenever he desired, until he could find a way to cure himself (or something). When Storm was getting ready to sleep for the night, Mystra contacted her daughter looking for Elminster. Storm then released El's ashes to possess Amarune so he could communicate with Mystra. Storm hopped into bed with Arclath in order to distract him from Amarune's possession.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

HelldoG
Learned Scribe

101 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  20:59:29  Show Profile  Visit HelldoG's Homepage Send HelldoG a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Spoiler Alert]
Whait... what?! Do I read correctly that MYSTRA is alive (or resurrected, or some mortal took her place and name)?!
[/Spoiler Alert]

Away with powergaming propaganda! | I <3 Powergaming!

Don't feed the trolls. Especially the clever ones.

Edited by - HelldoG on 04 Oct 2010 21:00:01
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  21:11:25  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read the book.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  21:11:44  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HelldoG

[Spoiler Alert]
Whait... what?! Do I read correctly that MYSTRA is alive (or resurrected, or some mortal took her place and name)?!
[/Spoiler Alert]

The original text seems to indicate the ashes flow up "a young dancer", I assume this is Amarune, and into Storm. Why do the ashes flow into Storm?

The Silver Fire's Blade: A Novella in Nine Parts, Available Soon, in the Adventuring Forum!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  21:27:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILERS

Right, here we go: the "young dancer" and the "her" are both Amarune (she's the only young female in the way-cabin, being as Storm is centuries old, and she's shown dancing to earn her livelihood earlier in the novel).
Amarune and Arclath are sleeping together (sleeping, not making love). With them on the bed is a coffer containing Elminster's ashes, which are mobile and contain his sentience, and that "flow" to people and allow him to possess them if he can get into their heads (through mouth, nose, and/or ears). Elminster's state and his ability to possess are also established in the last few chapters of the novel, before this scene.
Storm is sleeping in the small one-room cabin, too, but on the floor in her cloak, not in the built-in bed that Amarune and Arclath are occupying.
Storm is awakened by a voice in her head (not in her ears) that she is sure is - - MUST be - - Mystra, calling for Elminster. Overjoyed, and obeying her goddess, she hastens to the bed and opens the coffer, to free Elminster's ashes so he can possess Amarune's body and go to Mystra (he can presumably also hear Mystra, but can't do anything about it until freed from the coffer).
Arclath went to sleep with sword handy, ready to defend self and his lady (Amarune) from any peril, because they're in the (wild) King's Forest. Storm opening the coffer awakens him, he goes for his sword - - and Storm throws herself on top of him to hold him down (which she's quite strong enough to do, remember, with her entwining hair and all, though I suspect Arclath will be surprised that she can do this to him) so he can't stop Amarune leaving the cabin.
Elminster possesses Amarune's body, which is why her eyes look like his when she smiles at the door (because he's happy as anything: his goddess has RETURNED!), before she rushes out into the night. (Yes, nude and unarmed.)
Storm is on the bed holding Arclath down to prevent him giving chase, stopping Amarune, or trying to attack Mystra. She's NOT "distracting" a young sex-mad noble with another female body to take the place of the one he went to sleep beside, she's trying to stop him screwing up Elminster reaching Mystra. Which to her as a Chosen is more important than the lives or feelings of Arclath, Amarune, and everyone else in all Cormyr put together.
I've checked with Ed to confirm all of this, and other than to add "there's more going on in this scene than is revealed to the reader of ELMINSTER MUST DIE!, but you'll all learn more in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP, which looks at both who left the cabin and the two who remained," so I know I've stated this correctly.
The ashes flow into Amarune, not Storm (though they can use Storm's body as a highway to Amarune if need be).
But then, the scene didn't seem at all confusing to me. As Ashe says, it's all been explained in earlier scenes.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 04 Oct 2010 21:28:41
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  21:52:55  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotcha'.

So, the second 'her' in the following quote:

quote:

Elminster Must Die!, Ed Greenwood, pg. 341

"She flung herself on him and kissed him to quell all questions, holding him down with all her strength as Elminster's ashes flowed up the young dancer and into her."

refers to Amarune.

Thanks all for the clarification!

Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  01:03:56  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now everyone should understand why 'She' had chosen disciples and why she exploited them the way she did.....

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  02:45:33  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

Now everyone should understand why 'She' had chosen disciples and why she exploited them the way she did.....

I sure don't! Say on, Snowblood!

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  11:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HelldoG

[Spoiler Alert]
[/Spoiler Alert]

Certainly looks that way... This can't come as much of a surprise though, can it? This would be the third time she's gone bang and come back again, right?

I may have to read these books now, I am intrigued!

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  12:14:26  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My reasoning is this....if according to Ed, the weave is life & life is the weave and Mystra is the sentient expression of the weave/life...then the only real way to truly destroy the weave is to extinguish all life on Toril...Bane had an ace up his sleeve in the Baneson, Aumanotaur rebirthed through Lathander, and Mystra understanding the avarice and greed of other deities used chosen hidden and known as reservoirs of the divine & sentient spark that was expressed as the Goddess of magic. So when Cyric 'killed' Mystra all he really did was unleash the pent up power of the weave and the sentience that 'was' Mystra merely dissapated...scattering until it could be revived drawing upon those carefully hidden 'sparks' stored against such a calamity...the chosen 'died' having fulfilled their roles and their power was transferred.....this divine spark of sentience has re-emerged in a relatively short time but in a much weakened state...why do you think all those ancient magics were consumed by the Simbul...keeping the divine spark alive until it was ready to metamorphose so the Simbul dies...having fulfilled a predestined roll...and becomes the new Goddess........well this is what I got from it all....

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/

Edited by - Snowblood on 05 Oct 2010 12:18:05
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  15:53:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They brought Mystra back?

Gee... what a surprise...

I won't bother to comment; I'll just sit here drinking my OLD Coke. <smirk>

I'm sure the novel is wonderful - all of Ed's stories are - but it may take me awhile to...... digest this...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  16:34:28  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Said it before, I'll say it again: it was never a matter of if, but when.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  16:35:27  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's great she is back.

People got worked up over something trivial to the Realms like Mystra getting killed yet again...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 05 Oct 2010 16:37:45
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  16:42:01  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brace Cormaeril

quote:

I sure don't! Say on, Snowblood!

Oh, right. Yeah, that's obvious....

Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  17:51:06  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My reasoning is this....if according to Ed, the weave is life & life is the weave and Mystra is the sentient expression of the weave/life...then the only real way to truly destroy the weave is to extinguish all life on Toril...

Contrarily, Snowblood, if one destroyed the Weave, wouldn't one then destroy all life?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  19:21:05  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brace Cormaeril

quote:

My reasoning is this....if according to Ed, the weave is life & life is the weave and Mystra is the sentient expression of the weave/life...then the only real way to truly destroy the weave is to extinguish all life on Toril...

Contrarily, Snowblood, if one destroyed the Weave, wouldn't one then destroy all life?

Huh... Imagine that, Shar, the goddess that loves entropy trying to destroy all life on Faerūn.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  21:00:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we are looking at it too simplistically.

Using Gray's theory as a basis - that the great Wheel is actually some sort of incredibly ancient artifact that 'churns out' soul-stuff - who's to say the entire multiverse isn't so mechanically-inclined?

What if everything works like a battery? That energy must constantly flow from one point to another, and it's this 'flow' that generates life?

Ergo, the Weave is a filter for Radiant energy, which is so potent in Realmspace that mages would just 'burn up' if they tried to handle it directly. Conversely, the Shadoweave is a filter for Umbral (Shadow) energy, which would leave a mage a withered husk if they tried to handle it directly. Between these two semi-permeable membranes energy flows, from positive to negative, and it is this flow - that activity - which generates life on Toril.

So the Weave isn't 'life', but without it we have inertia, which does = death. You need BOTH parts of the equation for the energy to flow and life to be possible.

That, I think, solves the difference between Ed's version of the Realms and TSR/WotC's, and actually marries the two. You NEED the weave, but it isn't the whole story... not by itself.

So the Druid's had it right all along - maintaining The balance is of the utmost importance.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Oct 2010 21:03:12
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  21:03:34  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the Grand Unifying Theory of Everything

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Brace Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

294 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  00:11:11  Show Profile  Visit Brace Cormaeril's Homepage Send Brace Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Maybe we are looking at it too simplistically.

Using Gray's theory as a basis - that the great Wheel is actually some sort of incredibly ancient artifact that 'churns out' soul-stuff - who's to say the entire multiverse isn't so mechanically-inclined?

What if everything works like a battery? That energy must constantly flow from one point to another, and it's this 'flow' that generates life?

Ergo, the Weave is a filter for Radiant energy, which is so potent in Realmspace that mages would just 'burn up' if they tried to handle it directly. Conversely, the Shadoweave is a filter for Umbral (Shadow) energy, which would leave a mage a withered husk if they tried to handle it directly. Between these two semi-permeable membranes energy flows, from positive to negative, and it is this flow - that activity - which generates life on Toril.

So the Weave isn't 'life', but without it we have inertia, which does = death. You need BOTH parts of the equation for the energy to flow and life to be possible.

That, I think, solves the difference between Ed's version of the Realms and TSR/WotC's, and actually marries the two. You NEED the weave, but it isn't the whole story... not by itself.

So the Druid's had it right all along - maintaining The balance is of the utmost importance.

Nah. The Weave is a mystic pattern/artifact which allows magic users easier access to magic.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  00:51:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, but Ed has stated that besides being a 'magical interface', it also acts a filter, because Torils' "magical energies are too powerful".

That infers that there is a power more potent then Arcane energy (the energy of the weave), which I only peg as 'radiant' simple because it is the simplest juxtapostion for the Shadow/negative energy. It could be something else entirely, but that seems to make the most sense within the power-concepts of D&D and its cosmology (IMHO).

So if the energies 'beyond the weaves' are Radiant and Shadow, then perhaps it wasn't solidified radiant energy that Karsus 'discovered', but rather pure Umbral (evil) - now I'm picturing the chunk of 'pure evil' at the end of Time Bandits.

Which explains how Wulgreth got instantly 'Lich-ified' - he got hit in the head with an actual, physical piece of the Plane of Shadows.

Just a theory, of course.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Oct 2010 00:52:22
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  01:40:52  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm a conundrum within an enigma wrapped up in a cosmological mystery.......what carbuncle we have here....

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  02:07:46  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
too much meta-gaming make head explode

!BOOM!
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  02:58:06  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, it's an amazing novel for Realmslore fans.
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2010 :  06:27:48  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what Jan Jansen would say in a thread like this! I mean, he is a mage, after all.

Edited by - bladeinAmn on 06 Oct 2010 06:29:06
Go to Top of Page

Acolyte Thirteen
Seeker

93 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  00:49:54  Show Profile  Visit Acolyte Thirteen's Homepage Send Acolyte Thirteen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting thought by THo on EMD...

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2010 :  01:01:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

They brought Mystra back?

Gee... what a surprise...

I won't bother to comment; I'll just sit here drinking my OLD Coke. <smirk>

I'm sure the novel is wonderful - all of Ed's stories are - but it may take me awhile to...... digest this...

It's just in the epilogue. You won't see Mystra wandering the Realms, at least not yet in this book...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000