Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 New to D&D
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  16:10:30  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good job, MT. You just restarted the 2E/3E flame war!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  16:26:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nahhhh... I just like flipping people's comments on them (Misc and I have a special love for one another ).

I guess it really is all a matter of of taste - I found 2e an unplayable mess, and yet, obviously, others still prefer it. I suppose having FIVE different systems for Stamina in one rules set could be intepretted as 'choices'.

I did like Kits though - I kept those... every edition brought something new to the table, and I pick-and-choose what to keep and what to throw-out. I'm still picking through 4e rules for my own highly-modified version of D&D.

BTW, I'm talking RULES here, NOT FR or any other setting - 2e has everything else beat hands-down.

I think the reson why I preferred 3e over every other edition is because of the freedom it offerred me - I have always adapted stuff from other rules and other settings, and when everyone hopped aboard the 'D20 bandwagon', it was like a dream come true for me. It was able to do what GURPs tried to and never could.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  17:34:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked 2E... But I think 3.5E is the best version of D&D out there. There's still some stuff that needs to be fixed in it (like Paizo has been working on), but I think it's a much better system than anything before or after.

That said, having grown up in 2E, I still have a tendency to think 2E for D&D stuff.

And I liked 2E's magical items much more than 3E. That's the one major failing of 3E, for me: simplifying magical items. I want that wand of lightning that shoots lightning bolts and can do a shock, not the wand of lightning bolts that only does lightning bolts. And my beloved wand of misplaced objects never made it to 3E -- one of the best bits of evil fun ever given to a DM, and it was never flipped over.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Neil Bishop
Learned Scribe

Singapore
100 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  10:09:08  Show Profile  Visit Neil Bishop's Homepage Send Neil Bishop a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

So my friends and I just now decided to for the first time try to play D and D. Any hints tips or comments? We have no idea whats going on and we just bought a starter pack thing and a dungeon thing and...other things.

Some suggestions:

1. Try enworld.org as there are bound to be people there who will be happy to help you.
2. Try playing some of the FR computer games from the last decade or so to give you a feel for the game.
3. I'm a firm believer that the best way to learn is to participate in a live game. Try your local game store or find someone in your school who can show you how to play.

Regards
NXB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000