Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Crash Course in D&D Cosmology
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  15:44:57  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi,

For an upcoming campaign I'm doing that will explore the various planes of existence, I am looking to inform myself about the cosmology of D&D (not the Realms specifically). It's a home-brewed setting, but I try to draw as much as possible from canon releases.

- What sources should I look to?

- What are your favorite aspects of the D&D cosmology? Least favorite? Which edition do you favor?

- What changes would you make to the cosmology, and why?

To make it clear, I am looking for both facts and opinions, though I would appreciate if "canon facts" about the cosmology (i.e., published things you admire/hate and why) are noted as such (and a source would be helpful to).

Sorry for the big general question. I guess to boil it down is: if you were building a home-brewed D&D cosmology, what would yours look like? Which system would you borrow, and what tweaks would you make?

I appreciate any and all observations.

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  15:48:29  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by malchor7

3E - Manual of the Planes
3.5E - Planar Handbook
3.5 FR - Player's Guide to Faerun

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  15:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the fact that FR changed its cosmology from whatever it was pre-3E, to the great wheel, then to the tree and now whatver it is with the Shadowfell and all that. Goes to show that the cosmos are not a static thing and it changes constantly

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  17:28:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, I think you need to clarify which cosmology you are interested in. As Alisttair said, in 1e and 2e it was the wheel/ring, then the tree, and now whatever it is in 4e. FR's planes just seem to have some weird multi-personality disorder. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  19:08:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

FR's planes just seem to have some weird multi-personality disorder. :)

*snickers* "Okay, I'd like to speak to Baator, now. Is this Baator?"

"No, this is the Elemental Plane of Fire!"

"Can I please speak to Baator?"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Mar 2009 19:08:41
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  19:34:52  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are the main versions of Gary Gygax's AD&D planar structure:*

-- the original, which came together in Strategic Review and Dragon articles, the Players Handbook, Monster Manual II etc. (and Gary's later Gord novels greatly developed the Lower Planes particularly)

-- developments of it by others, such as Ed Greenwood (the Hells) and Roger Moore (the Astral Plane) in Dragon, and Jeff Grubb in the Manual of the Planes

-- Planescape, which has the same structure but a different feel, with bits changed, renamed or added to

-- the 3E version, which drops much of the Planescape styling, given as a sample 'cosmology' in the second Manual of the Planes

Each has styles and features you may prefer, though my inclination is, as usual, to go with the original creation, or at least give it the most weight, over later designers' tinkering with creative content they inherited through legal accident. I can't say what changes I'd make except in a specific context: the planes have to work in conjunction with the rest of the setting.

* This is a cosmos, but not a 'cosmology': it's the thing itself, not the study or a map of it. 'Great Wheel' isn't a general name for the D&D planar structure but a specifically Planescape term for the Outer Planes only.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  21:52:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a FREE comic about Planescape (D&D's over-cosmology) over at the WotC's site.

There's also a fansite all about it - I don't see anything there that illegal usage, so the link should be okay. I used to know one with a map of the Outer Palnes, but thats gone now (probably because it used non-open content). The main site appears to all be in Russian, but when I click on the links to the individual planes, its all in English.

EDit: Ack! Only the 'Outer Planes' are English... weird...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Mar 2009 22:00:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  22:46:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

There's a FREE comic about Planescape (D&D's over-cosmology) over at the WotC's site.

I never knew about that... Of course, I'm not the Planescape fan some here are. Though I do now have all of the Planescape sourcebooks -- I got an awesome deal on those.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  23:08:20  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd recommend Planescape sources, Manuals of the Planes don't have much flavor

first 2e Planescape Campaign Setting and the Planewalker's Handbook

then it depends what you specifically like, my favorites are Faces of Sigil, A Guide to the Astral Plane, The Factol's Manifesto, Planes of Conflict ... you can't go wrong with any, they are very entertaining

Planescape Monstrous Compendiums are very good, there's lots of lore there

also you can download 3.5e Planescape Campaign Setting at Planewalker.com, useful

of the rest, the best is the Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss

of 3rd Party Sources the most valuable are Beyond Countless Doorways (Malhavoc) and Faeries (Bastion Press), and maybe if you're building the cosmology Gary Gygax's Cosmos Builder (Troll Lord)

quote:
- What are your favorite aspects of the D&D cosmology? Least favorite? Which edition do you favor?

my favorite is the philosophy that goes with it, the concept that belief matters, the amount of mystery and intrigue involved, it's about limitless options and the setting is boundless, it enables background for infinite possibilities (ideas)

my least favorite part are the real world analogies, e.g. the Greek, Norse, Chinese etc. pantheons, and the names like Limbo, Hades, Pluton, Ysgard, Elysium ...

sometimes the planes seem to symmetrical (based on the alignments)

so I prefer 2e (only for lore)

quote:

I changed my cosmology to fit more with FR, it's a mix of the Wheel and the Tree, also included areas like Faerie and the Spiritworld that seemed separated. Beside the name changes I felt that the elemental planes were kinda isolated so I merged them into appropriate outer planar layers.

quote:
Sorry for the big general question. I guess to boil it down is: if you were building a home-brewed D&D cosmology, what would yours look like? Which system would you borrow, and what tweaks would you make?

this is in short the list of planar locations moved into my cosmology

http://www.forgottenrealmsvault.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=102

if you have more specific questions about it, ask :)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  23:29:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I never knew about that... Of course, I'm not the Planescape fan some here are. Though I do now have all of the Planescape sourcebooks -- I got an awesome deal on those.

Heh. I thought I told you about the comic during those private chats we had about PS sources. Or, at least, I'm pretty sure I did.

Malchor, I'll add the "Player's Primer to the Outlands" CD [that originally came with the book of the same name], as it includes some wonderfully-crafted info on the Gatetowns around the Great Wheel and such, and all from the perspective of a mimir. [Note, 'tis available as a free download from WotC {the CD, not the book}]

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  02:50:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Heh. I thought I told you about the comic during those private chats we had about PS sources. Or, at least, I'm pretty sure I did.

Malchor, I'll add the "Player's Primer to the Outlands" CD [that originally came with the book of the same name], as it includes some wonderfully-crafted info on the Gatetowns around the Great Wheel and such, and all from the perspective of a mimir. [Note, 'tis available as a free download from WotC {the CD, not the book}]

I didn't know about the comic, and I didn't know that the CD was a free download, either... Ironically, I had the CD sitting around for over a year before I finally remembered to rip MP3s from it.

Why the hey did they make the files Real Media? I've not bothered with that in a long time...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  04:10:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I didn't know about the comic, and I didn't know that the CD was a free download, either... Ironically, I had the CD sitting around for over a year before I finally remembered to rip MP3s from it.

Why the hey did they make the files Real Media? I've not bothered with that in a long time...

Well, as I recall, Real Media was more prevalent than MP3s at the time [14 years ago], so it probably made sense to record them in that particular format.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  07:56:43  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi,

For an upcoming campaign I'm doing that will explore the various planes of existence, I am looking to inform myself about the cosmology of D&D (not the Realms specifically). It's a home-brewed setting, but I try to draw as much as possible from canon releases.

To make it clear, I am looking for both facts and opinions, though I would appreciate if "canon facts" about the cosmology (i.e., published things you admire/hate and why) are noted as such (and a source would be helpful to).

I appreciate any and all observations.

It would, as others have mentioned, depend on what version of the cosmology interests you. I would personally go for the 1ed. Manual of the Planes,with additions from old Dragon magazines if you got them. The other versions I really didn't care for at all. Manual of the Planes gives you the possibility to flesh out the planes within the framework found in a single book. And subjectivity speaking I prefer the tone of the book which is far closer to the way I would use the planes.

As for changes. I generally made the whole thing a bit less predictable and random. No one should know to much of the planes. The same goes for demons and devils, I prefer these as more unique and mysterious and have never been really happy with any version used with the D&D systems. I use some loose inspiration from authors such as Moorcock, Farmer and others, but it is generally a feel of anything goes. From this you can understand why I really, really don't like Planescape.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  13:45:44  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recommmend you visit all the planes personally so as to get a true idea of what they are like

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  02:09:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back in my early Greyhawk-running days, I had a god named Emanual of the Planes. Not that that has anything to do with the topic, but I just thought I'd share.

I may have invented Aoskar before TSR did.

quote:

I never knew about that... <snip>
Good.

Now we're even for that wonderful Newsletter you pointed me in the diection of.

I was going to point out the MP3 thing, but Sage already did, so I'll just add an 'I concur' to that. I think MP3's only became 'in vogue' during the Napster era (around 2000?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Mar 2009 02:12:43
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  06:10:43  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sir Hamster, forgive the intrusion, but your post relates to a question of mine.

I just downloaded the "Primer" CD and realised that they were REAL MEDIA recordings. So that means I can't load them into iTunes. Does anyone here know of a way to rectify this? I'm assuming I'd have to alter the format of the media files for the Primer, but I don't know how to do that.

Any help would be appreciated.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  12:17:38  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if you want (and if it's not illegal) I can upload it in mp3 ...
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  14:12:10  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So long as it isn't illegal, and doesn't cause any problems for this website, I'd greatly appreciate that Quale. Thanks.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2009 :  16:36:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although technically re-distrubuting someone else's property is illegal, the fact that it was already freely-given most likely means no-one is going to bother to come after you for it.

But yeah... its illegal... so we here at the keep are just going to assume you guys aren't doing that.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  12:22:29  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok then, mods remove it if it's a problem

Mod Edit: Link temporarily removed.

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Mar 2009 13:20:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  13:21:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I'm not really sure about the legality of something like this, I'm going to temporarily remove the link Quale. I suggest you send it via PM or ethereal mail instead. D-brane can then access it that way.

I'll re-post the link if I learn that it's okay to do so.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  17:59:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are various media conversion programs out there; perhaps a free one can flip .rm to .mp3. Another suggestion I've seen more than once (though not for .rm files) is to take the audio files, burn them as an audio CD, and then rip MP3s from that.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  23:09:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are various media conversion programs out there; perhaps a free one can flip .rm to .mp3.
There's a problem with that suggestion though. Most of the conversion programs that are available as shareware/freeware will only convert up to 30 seconds of the original Real Media files to MP3 format. If you want to convert them properly, you'll likely have to pay for the registered version of the software.

I've yet to encounter any freely available converter program that allows the full and proper conversion of audio files.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2009 :  23:58:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There are various media conversion programs out there; perhaps a free one can flip .rm to .mp3.
There's a problem with that suggestion though. Most of the conversion programs that are available as shareware/freeware will only convert up to 30 seconds of the original Real Media files to MP3 format. If you want to convert them properly, you'll likely have to pay for the registered version of the software.

I've yet to encounter any freely available converter program that allows the full and proper conversion of audio files.

The only one I could find, atm, is:

http://www.rm-mp3.org/

And it looks like it's freeware.

But there's also:

http://www.rmconverter.com/rmtomp3.html

However, that one isn't freeware. Grumble.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 10 Mar 2009 00:06:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  00:21:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, it looks like there's a free download option for the second one as well. But I'd think it will probably have the same limitations as those free-ware programs that I was talking about earlier.

I've never seen nor tried the first converter though.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  02:28:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the many hats I wore before I closed down my property management company was that I did custom music packages for businesses to be played during the store-hours. What I'd do is buy music Jukeboxes (basically portable Hardrives with MP3 hardware built-in), hook them to the busines's stereo system, and they'd have a custom mix (depending on clientelle, business-flavor, and time of the year) of music that would play for at least 24 hours, randomly, with no repeats.

ANYWAY... Part of the deal was that they had to purchase any CDs who's music they wanted to use (I do NOT use pirated recordings!), and provide me with anything else I needed (like the Hardrives, and any software).

I kept all the original CDs with me as 'back-up'.

Needless to say, I own a LOT of music, and I also own some of the best ripping and music-editting software available.

I did it as a 'free' service for my business-customers, but in the long-run I got a lot of cool stuff out of the deal.

I even kept the Greek Music CDs from that restaurant...

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Mar 2009 02:29:31
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  03:02:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One of the many hats I wore before I closed down my property management company was that I did custom music packages for businesses to be played during the store-hours. What I'd do is buy music Jukeboxes (basically portable Hardrives with MP3 hardware built-in), hook them to the busines's stereo system, and they'd have a custom mix (depending on clientelle, business-flavor, and time of the year) of music that would play for at least 24 hours, randomly, with no repeats.

ANYWAY... Part of the deal was that they had to purchase any CDs who's music they wanted to use (I do NOT use pirated recordings!), and provide me with anything else I needed (like the Hardrives, and any software).

I kept all the original CDs with me as 'back-up'.

Needless to say, I own a LOT of music, and I also own some of the best ripping and music-editting software available.

I did it as a 'free' service for my business-customers, but in the long-run I got a lot of cool stuff out of the deal.

I even kept the Greek Music CDs from that restaurant...

Nice! My music collection delves into musical areas most people never venture into, but I'm sure you've got me beat!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  04:38:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Needless to say I never listen to any of the Barbara Streisand stuff, or the 'big band' stuff, or lots of other things... but I've grown fond of the Jazz, Classical, and 'Mob Hits' styles of music (Mob Hits and Mob Hits II being two CDs I greatly disliked at first, but they grew on me, and I added quite a lot of Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, Dean Martin, etc...)

I added Christmas songs, or Love songs for Valentine's day, and was adjusting the mix about every six weeks or so - It was a lot of fun. I also had them all buy me two drives - one for use, and one I would keep at home for constant 'tinkering' (then I could just go and swap them out when I had a new song list).

I used to do that a lot - people would ask me "can you do such-and-such, and I'd say suuuure... if you buy me the stuff."

I own lots of stuff now - just about every tool I ever owned was gotten that way.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Mar 2009 03:57:14
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  11:12:04  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this the plane of music I have stumbled into? Never ending music of all sorts playing away, driving the denizens insane!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2009 :  04:02:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just doing a little research, trying to find out more about 4e's cosmology, and I stumbled across this preview of the 4e Cosmology.

Thought some of you might find it interesting; it even includes an illustration.

So if 1e/2e was the Great Wheel, and 3e was the Great Tree, what do they call that? The Big Mess?

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Mar 2009 04:03:11
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2009 :  04:38:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silly, MT! Don't you recognize the True Faith when you see it?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000