Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Larloch
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  04:27:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, its confirmed 100% on pg. 31 of the GHotR, the -2488 entry.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  10:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Actually, its confirmed 100% on pg. 31 of the GHotR, the -2488 entry.

BOOM - CANNON fired!!

I would go reference my book but not having it here with me, I'll take your word for it.

Yet another piece of greatness in what is th GHotR.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  19:06:45  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-So...if Larloch is Batman, who is Robin?

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  20:22:17  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-So...if Larloch is Batman, who is Robin?

BRIMSTONE

Hmmm... Tim Drake or Dick Grayson?

I'd say Szass Tam would be Jason Todd (Red Hood/Robin).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 10 Mar 2009 20:22:49
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  22:23:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay... now you guys got me picturing scrawny ol' Szass Tam running around in green and red tights with a bright Green Codpiece and Yellow Cape.

<we need a 'yuck' smiley>

And as for confirmation, that entry refers to 'Lord Hilather' of the Imaskari, and Halaster is confirmed to be Hilather in several places, the first of which I believe was Skullport.

I suppose we could still say there doubt, simply because we don't really know if both Hilathers are the same (although Halaster originating from the Raurin region does make it that much more convincing).

Perhaps Hilather was a common name among the Muhjari.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Mar 2009 22:28:38
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  22:51:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hilather is his given name, Halaster the grander name he assumed as a mage of power. And it was the original Ruins of Undermountain boxed set which first stated that Halaster used to be named Hilather.

On the "Realms Batman" discussion, I must get around to asking Steven whether the events of Blackstaff would be a suitable equivalent for the Batman RIP storyline.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  10:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
few pointers:

The fey are one of the creator races.
The halaster info can also be found with in our own library: http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/imaskar.htm#People in the Imaskar Empire

@ Markustay : Could you reference here the resource where it states that the Imaskari barred the gods from reamlspace, i like to read that one.

Edit:

Lady herald of the reamlslore and Markustay I love you both. Halaster is my favourite archmage I have spent an entire campaign in undermountain and many sort ones too i just love the setting (it could be a setting on it own right) the mad mage is awesome so is larloch.

I have got a question it has been a while now but anyone has any idea what level the mad mage is now? we know he is dead (i cried i was furious when i bought the expedition to undermountain (genconuk 2007)) but ignoring that fact.

Purple you say?!

Edited by - Portella on 11 Mar 2009 10:42:51
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  17:16:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Portella

@ Markustay : Could you reference here the resource where it states that the Imaskari barred the gods from reamlspace, i like to read that one.

It's in Powers & Pantheons in the Mulhorandi/Utheric pantheon info on page 94.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  18:57:37  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Conspiracies abound, scribes:

So what if Larloch had a hand in the destruction
of Halaster in his ritual in EtU? HMMMM?
What did Larloch know that nobody else did?

I'm still keeping Halaster alive, far more sane,
and moving south somewhere to start shaping the world
in his way and to take out the Twisted Rune.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  20:36:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Conspiracies abound, scribes:

So what if Larloch had a hand in the destruction
of Halaster in his ritual in EtU? HMMMM?
What did Larloch know that nobody else did?

I'm still keeping Halaster alive, far more sane,
and moving south somewhere to start shaping the world
in his way and to take out the Twisted Rune.

How would Larloch benefit, though? If he knew of Halaster's ritual, then he would have to know what Hally was trying to do. And therefore, Larloch would know that nuking Hally would be a Bad Thing™. I think Larloch would be far more likely to either add a component to the ritual, and/or cast spells on Hally during the ritual, with the end result of Halaster falling under Larloch's control. Subverting an enemy is far more useful than simply destroying them, and I don't see Larloch denying himself such a wonderful tool.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  21:22:45  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Conspiracies abound, Scribes:

Maybe whatever Larloch is trying to contain is within Undermountain.
You got to admit Undermountain has hundreds of gates, lots of
extradimensional spaces, lost treasures, unique monsters.
What is Larloch is afraid of something in Halaster's posession. What
could a madman due with the Ultimate Nullifyer. (I think that what its callded,
look at Marvel Comics Fantastic 4).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  22:37:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know the Fey are/were a Creator race - my point was that the Imaskari got at least some of their knowledge from the one Creator race the Netherease didn't.

Not including the fifth Creator race in that, of course, since both e Netherease and Imaskari were/are Human.

I was thinking about the Larloch thing myself.

What if Shar pulled the ULTIMATE fast-one? Suppose Halsater was the ONLY mortal capable of circumventing the events that lead to the Spellplague - since that is exactly what he was trying to do according to 3e Undermountain.

Let's just say Larloch works for Mystra, and he's supposed to keep tabs on Halaster, because Mystra knows - either from Savras or her own sources - that Shar will attempt to kill her, and be successful because of something that happens with Halaster. She finds the one mortal being - since gods techniaclly aren't supposed to interfere directly - that is a match for Halaster, and assigns him the task of keeping watch over Halaster, which would include his massive portal-network (almost like a world-encompassing satelite network....)

She tells him if you see him performing any epic/high/10th magic, and it involves Shar or Mystra or anything that is world-spanning, stop him at all costs.

Only problem is, she forgets to tell him she 'cured' Halaster during the 'El-in-Hell' affair (this Mystra may have even been unaware of the former Mystra's secret agenda for Larloch). Halaster was actually trying to STOP the Spellplague, and Larloch's scrying revealed he was doing something cosmic-level, and muttering something about Shar and Mystra.

Larloch can't hurt Halaster directly - he probably knows Larloch's watching him and is even amused by it - because Hal's probably got enough contingencies to make Elminster gape in awe. So Larloch does the one thing he can do - distract Halaster at a crucial moment...

He throws everything he has at Halaster, who isn't hurt by the attack, but is distracted enough for his own epic ritual to screw-up, causing a backlash which shatters poor ol' Halster's soul into a thousand pieces (in effect, denying all of his contingencies to take effect). Larloch laughs to himself, and says "so it is done..."

Completely unaware that Shar is watching him, and she says "So it is..."

Mystra's owns counter-plan to Shar's eventual move was countered and used against her, which sounds right up Shar's alley. Had Mystra NOT assigned Larloch to gaurd against Halaster, Halaster may have succeeded and prevented Shar from winning.

The ultimate cosmic Irony.

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Mar 2009 22:43:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  22:47:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno... It's all too overt for Larloch, I'm thinking. You don't stick around as long as he has, and gain as much power as he has, by not thinking things thru or by leaving obvious footprints around your plots.

Besides, if whatever Larloch was containing was in Undermountain, why is he acting now? He'd've been far more likely to act earlier, especially during Halaster's Harvestide.

A third point: Larloch predates Undermountain. He could have gotten there first, if what he was doing was in any way related to Undermountain.

And how about a fourth point: if Larloch was containing something in Undermountain, why is he hundreds of miles away? I know that if I wanted to contain something, me and the bulk of my power would be sitting right on top of it, or at the least right next to it. I would not put myself in such a position that something could happen without me knowing about it.

Hells, a fifth point: How would Larloch know what's going on anywhere in Undermountain, when you can't remotely look into it?

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  23:04:08  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the 'Imaskar recieved magical tutelage/info from a creator race' topic, isn't there mention (somewhere) of a massive statue depicting an Imaskari Artificer being followed by 4 fey carrying a massive tome?
Wooly and Markus, in MY campaign, Halaster did *horrible* things to Shar, and Larloch ended Cyric. Just ended him.Cause Cyric isn't 1/10th as scary as Larloch. I'm debating having him put up Cyric's Abyssal Realm for sale in Sigil's Classifieds:
'Divine Realm, Infernal Views, Right on the River of Blood Ferryline: Fully furnished, Only 20 years old, single owner, hardly used: Prev owner was a pale, thin boy, who didn't go out much and just passed away. Being sold 'As Is'. Eternal Allgience OBO. Serious Inquiries Only'
I'd just love to have plane-hopping PC's see that ad.
I need sleep,I'm getting loopy.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  23:32:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Conspiracies abound, Scribes:

Maybe whatever Larloch is trying to contain is within Undermountain.
You got to admit Undermountain has hundreds of gates, lots of
extradimensional spaces, lost treasures, unique monsters.
What is Larloch is afraid of something in Halaster's posession. What
could a madman due with the Ultimate Nullifyer. (I think that what its callded,
look at Marvel Comics Fantastic 4).

You mean the Ultimate Nullifier TM. The trademark is important!

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  00:04:50  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Hells, a fifth point: How would Larloch know what's going on anywhere in Undermountain, when you can't remotely look into it?

I think that Larloch can look into Undermountain. The wards and barriers would not stop his magics from working IMHO. He has been around so long and lived through (even created perhaps?) the warding spells in existence and use today, for him not to know how they worked seems a bit odd to me?

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  00:11:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:

I think that Larloch can look into Undermountain. The wards and barriers would not stop his magics from working IMHO. He has been around so long and lived through (even created perhaps?) the warding spells in existence and use today, for him not to know how they worked seems a bit odd to me?

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Damian

Given that Larloch is somewhat focused on accessing whatever knowledge certain people may have re: important portals, what you've said is entirely likely. In fact, Larloch may have had some access to Halaster's knowledge of Undermountain portals and the like in the past, and used that knowledge to "spy" on the Mad Mage.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  00:15:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Damian

Just because you know how something works doesn't mean you can make it not work for you but still work for everyone else.

Here's what it comes down to for me: there is no evidence that Larloch even knew what Halaster was doing. Absent anything that could even be an implication of such, I'm assuming that he wasn't paying any attention to what was going on. Especially since, as I said, he would have been better able to do something when Halaster wasn't in Undermountain, as opposed to when he was there.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  00:19:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Damian

Given that Larloch is somewhat focused on accessing whatever knowledge certain people may have re: important portals, what you've said is entirely likely. In fact, Larloch may have had some access to Halaster's knowledge of Undermountain portals and the like in the past, and used that knowledge to "spy" on the Mad Mage.

I will buy that Larloch could have subverted some of Hally's portals, and thus been able to spy on Undermountain by sending in spies -- but scrying would still not work.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  00:29:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Damian

Just because you know how something works doesn't mean you can make it not work for you but still work for everyone else.

Here's what it comes down to for me: there is no evidence that Larloch even knew what Halaster was doing. Absent anything that could even be an implication of such, I'm assuming that he wasn't paying any attention to what was going on. Especially since, as I said, he would have been better able to do something when Halaster wasn't in Undermountain, as opposed to when he was there.

I don't think Larloch would've not been paying attention to Halaster. As Ed's notes on Larloch activities suggest, he's focused on important individuals and their powers. Halaster would definitely fall into that category, and given the nature of portal magic in Undermountain, it's something Larloch would probably be keeping an eye on -- especially if such knowledge were to prove useful to furthering his own ambitions later.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  00:30:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Damian

I will buy that Larloch could have subverted some of Hally's portals, and thus been able to spy on Undermountain by sending in spies -- but scrying would still not work.

Agreed. I'm thinking it's more likely that Larloch simply sent his own agents into Undermountain to spy on Halaster whenever he felt 'twas necessary. Though, I like the idea that Larloch has had agents inserted into Halaster's Undermountain hierarchy for such a long time, that even the Mad Mage is unaware of their full histories.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  01:43:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think Larloch would've not been paying attention to Halaster. As Ed's notes on Larloch activities suggest, he's focused on important individuals and their powers. Halaster would definitely fall into that category, and given the nature of portal magic in Undermountain, it's something Larloch would probably be keeping an eye on -- especially if such knowledge were to prove useful to furthering his own ambitions later.

Well, the flipside is that Hally's not that important outside of his small sphere of influence. Larloch might think him worth watching, but others would receive far more scrutiny. I think Larloch might assign an underling and have him report once a month, or maybe have someone take a peek into Undermountain every few weeks... I don't think it'd be any kind of active surveillance -- there's too many others who actually do warrant that kind of attention.

So again, I don't see Larloch having had anything to do with what happened to Halaster. It's not likely that he saw what Hally was doing, but if he did, he'd find out why Hally was doing it. And I certainly don't see him making Hally fail.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  01:45:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Agreed. I'm thinking it's more likely that Larloch simply sent his own agents into Undermountain to spy on Halaster whenever he felt 'twas necessary. Though, I like the idea that Larloch has had agents inserted into Halaster's Undermountain hierarchy for such a long time, that even the Mad Mage is unaware of their full histories.

Now that is something I can see Larloch doing. It's far more his style to do something in the background like that.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  02:02:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, the flipside is that Hally's not that important outside of his small sphere of influence. Larloch might think him worth watching, but others would receive far more scrutiny. I think Larloch might assign an underling and have him report once a month, or maybe have someone take a peek into Undermountain every few weeks... I don't think it'd be any kind of active surveillance -- there's too many others who actually do warrant that kind of attention.
For all we know, Larloch has been subverting some of the portals of Undermountain through his underlings for centuries. I'd imagine that whatever purpose Larloch is building towards with respect to portal activity across the Realms will have something, however limited, to do with Undermountain.
quote:
So again, I don't see Larloch having had anything to do with what happened to Halaster. It's not likely that he saw what Hally was doing, but if he did, he'd find out why Hally was doing it. And I certainly don't see him making Hally fail.
Oh, that I agree with. In fact, I'd take it one step further and suggest that maybe, just maybe, Larloch perhaps wasn't all that concerned with the overall final activity of Halaster. Just so long as the portals and associated magicks in Undermountain were maintained. That would've been a concern for Larloch, I'd imagine.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  02:05:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Now that is something I can see Larloch doing. It's far more his style to do something in the background like that.

Indeed. And as I was starting to suggest above, it could be that whatever agent Larloch had inserted in Undermountain eventually found him/her/itself in a position whereby they were witness to how the Spellplague ultimately impacted upon the portal network. And, perhaps, that's knowledge Larloch would consider important enough.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  02:29:24  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
to me Larloch has enough power to do almost whatever he wants.... BUT...

So does hally. In undermountain, a relam Hally has almost created for himself he is supreem! But if Mystra has apointed Larloch as an agent he might have the power so "look" at what he was doing.

No matter what... Larloch is or was very interested in keeping Mystra alive, and for that he should have known any treads to her or the weave...

finnaly to quote Master Uque or Ugue or what ever his name is from Kong fu Panda: "One often meets his destiny on the way to prevent it"! That might weel enough fit Larloch!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  02:37:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geeze... I wasn't trying to creat a Ruckus.

That was just one of those "What if?" scenarios.

I never said Larloch was keeping tabs on Undermountain - I believe someone else said that - I said Halaster specifically. However, Larloch being Nethrease could mean he's been intimate with the Sargauth Enclave, and perhaps is aware of certain magics that would allow him to use the prtals as scrying pools? Knowledge that Halaster would not have, and may not have discovered.

Not saying thats what happened at all - I'm just saying its not impossible, either. Considering how portals work on the Outer Planes - and we know the Nethrease have been there (the Outlands, specifically) - its not too much of a stretch to think that Netherease portals are also 'Keyed', and different Keys may have different functions. Its entire;y possible that larloch is in possesion of one of these Keys and is able to scry through it; perhaps even cast spells through it.

Another point of contention - you bring-up the timeline, Wooly. I never mentioned when Larloch may have been approached by Mystra (although I did imply it was the original Mystra, NOT Mystryl). She could have set him on this path a mere century ago (two centuries, now). That is why he isn't sitting right on top of Undermountain, and that is why he didn't just go there first. He may have assumed anything of interest in Sargauth was destroyed, and then only became interested after centuries of hearing about Halaster (and perhaps getting prodded by Mystra, in my unlikely scenario). This could have any time after he was already well-settled in Warlock's Crypt.

Anyhow, like I said, I was just tossing ideas around - I seriously doubt Larloch had anything at all to do with Halaster's downfall. I just like to contemplate various adventure plot-hooks.

And if Larloch has any 'spies' within Undermountain, I would say it was the Skulls themselves (who Larloch may have known in life). They remind me of a type of demi-Lich, and Larloch does have a way with Liches. Then again, if that were the case, he should have been aware of what the Sojourner was attempting...

Whatever... if I were to use the 3e Undermountain back-story at all, I would say that Halster's Soul was shattered and seperated into each of the spells he had in his head at the time, and every spell on every magic device he had on him.

Theres your 'Living Spells' right there - they are all insane pieces of Halaster's mind, and one would have to gather them altogether -probably using some sort of artifact - before Halaster could 'come back'.

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Mar 2009 02:44:33
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  02:47:39  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
two things... when did halaster die, and who the hell is the Sojourner?

And lastly. To me Larloch would feel that Hally was a foe to be reconed with. He is older and may have, at a point in time, have had more power than even Ioulaum, Karsus or Larloch, so yes... Larloch would not have let Hally just "wonder" around doing what ever he was doing freely! Thou Hallly might have kbown this and for that have had protections against this... dont know and will never know!!!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  03:27:05  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Geeze... I wasn't trying to creat a Ruckus.

-Right.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  06:05:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

two things... when did halaster die, and who the hell is the Sojourner?
1 -- 30 Eleint 1375. It's noted in both Expedition to Undermountain and Grand History of the Realms.

2 -- SPOILERS for the "Erevis Cale" trilogy -- Here's a little more from Paul, from May '05:-

"I'm delighted you're a Cale fan. Lots more to come on that front, starting with Midnight's Mask this November and a follow up trilogy beginning next year.

I do not intend to detail the origin of the Gith. The Sojourner (Vhostym) is a creature that I've called a githvyrik, another offshoot of the gith split. In my conception, the githvyrik numbered vastly fewer than either the githzerai or the githyanki, and while those races took to a single plane and established their societies and culture, the more powerful individualists among them at the time of the split did their own thing, travelling worlds and planes (like the Sojourner), taking up residence in the underdark, etc. In fact, calling the githvyrik a race is somewhat of a misnomer. I regard each of them as unique -- powerful and very old spellcasters, yes; derived from the same genetic stock as the other gith, yes; but otherwise quite different. For all intents and purposes, Vhostym might as well be solitary and, in fact, almost all githvyrik are.

Anyway, Vhostym has a bunch of scenes in Midnight's Mask, so if you want to more about him as an individual, you'll have plenty to read."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000