Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The North: Hartsvale and Ironstar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2009 :  14:14:33  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met, learned sages!

I come seeking lore regarding two places in the North.

- What is known about Hartsvale? I managed to dig up some tidbit about it being populated by people with giant blood, but that's about it.

- Ironstar: I've only seen the name once, and in the same sentence as Mithral Hall. I think it was implied that it is/was a dwarven settlement like Mithral Hall, but I can find nothing on it.

Also, as this is my first entry on my first scroll, I shall introduce myself. Cedric, the Cleric Generic, was my very first DnD character, and since that game (set in the Realms) I've been a bit of a FR nut. That was about ten years (yikes!) ago now, and I still can't get enough of the place... How I've managed to avoid discovering this place until now, I'll never know!

Cheers in advance for your scholarly wisdom.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2009 :  15:12:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep!

Hartsvale featured in the Twilight Giants trilogy, by Troy Denning. The books are The Ogre's Pact, The Giant Among Us, and The Titans of Twlight. It's also written up in the 2E sourcebook Giantcraft.

There's not a lot of info out there about Ironstar. Most of it can be found in FR11 Dwarves Deep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Oct 2009 16:00:46
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2009 :  15:36:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Hartsvale featured in the Twilight Giants trilogy, by Troy Denning. The books are The Ogre's Pact, The Giant Among Us, and The Titans of Twlight. It's also written up in the 2E sourcebook Giantcraft.
The kingdom of Hartsvale is also [briefly] detailed in the 3e Silver Marches tome. And its settlement/founding is noted in the timeline for "Netheril" in LEoF.
quote:
There's not a lot of info out there about Ironstar. Most of it can be found in FR11 Dwarves Deep.
And both Ed and George Krashos have spoken briefly about the Ironstar dwarves from time to time here at Candlekeep. I'd recommend a search of the archives.

There are also some minor details in the Cormanthyr boxed set [available as a free PDF download at WotC], mostly dealing with Clan Ironstar.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2009 :  04:18:28  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are minor details about the Ironstars scattered throughout a number of Realms books; they're one of the favorite "lost clans," but they never get a huge amount of space. Their best write-up is Dwarves Deep, as has been mentioned. Other references I can think of off the top of my head:

* The North/Demihuman Deities - discussion of the fall of the Ironstar house and Moradin shielding them at the Stone Bridge (there's a better description somewhere that I just can't think of at the moment).
* Crown of Flames - Delg is revealed to be an Ironstar dwarf
* Volo's Guide to All Things Magical - description of the special alloy darksteel that was the secret of the Ironstars.

There's others that aren't coming to mind atm, but that should get you started. All told, it's fairly significant, though it is massively scattered.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2009 :  06:50:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best info on the location of Ironstar can be found in FR11 Dwarvs Deep and, belive it or not, Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2009 :  10:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brilliant stuff, gents! Cheers for the info

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000