Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Encyclopedia
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2009 :  23:10:03  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've seen the Realms possess so much lore in all sorts of places to the point where it has a history book released for it.

My question is, is there anyone undertaking the cosmic task of putting together a full-blown FR Encyclopedia? That would be awesome to see.

I've seen FR Wiki, is that anywhere near complete?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2009 :  23:13:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candlekeep does have an Encyclopedia Project in progress -- whereupon the content of each tome will be summarised according to chapters and important entries catalogued. But any activity on it has kinda halted for the time being. In fact, there hasn't been any particular work on it since May '07.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Jan 2009 23:46:20
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2009 :  23:27:43  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

The FR Wiki is nice for at a glance stuff, but the problem with wikis is that subjectivity may creep in. I personally wouldn't trust it as an accurate research tool... just as a jumping off point.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  03:13:28  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back in the late 90s TSR was going to produce just such a product. They got a bunch of volunteers to sign up for the research, but I'm not sure what became of it. I think at one point they had decided that it would just be used for in-house research, but I don't know if it was ever completed even for that purpose.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  05:37:51  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With all its loremasters and sages, this forum is such an Encyclopedia !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  12:24:35  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

quote:
Originally posted by Razz

The FR Wiki is nice for at a glance stuff, but the problem with wikis is that subjectivity may creep in. I personally wouldn't trust it as an accurate research tool... just as a jumping off point.

Absolutely. It's most useful if it's fully referenced so you can easily find the source material. I've added and amended a couple of things on there myself.

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

507 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  13:11:36  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try this I've found it useful in the past:

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/frindex/start.htm

It still requires you to have all the old resource books BUT you can figure out which ones to look in.

I've done something similar for myself. I've got most of my FR books scanned/OCRed in my computer and I wrote a Perl script to go through them looking for keywords. Its a matter of finding the time to OCR the rest of them.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2009 :  23:14:45  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

Back in the late 90s TSR was going to produce just such a product. They got a bunch of volunteers to sign up for the research, but I'm not sure what became of it. I think at one point they had decided that it would just be used for in-house research, but I don't know if it was ever completed even for that purpose.

It never made it beyond preliminary note stages, as it was determined that it'd be too costly to develop even just for in-house use. (It would have taken the 12 helpers/interns/"minions" and 3 full-time staffers at least 3 years to do it properly for print or no less than one year just for in-house reference, so the project was scrapped after its initial setup, much to my chagrin.)

Steven
who once rode herd on the merry band of scribes what compiled all the data

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6651 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  11:14:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed mentioned at GEN-CON 2007 that there was talk of an "official" FR Wiki to be organised and run by WotC but I'm guessing that nothing has come of this.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  20:22:33  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An official wiki would never happen as wiki are place for free information, well detailed etc. with that the FR wiki would not be really good as all the information about the realms is copyrighted. So you would get half baked facts with a lot of gaps every where. so if you want to know what happen when myth drannor was formed again with the help of the high elf that the name escapes me, You have to buy the book as book charring is also against copy right.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  00:12:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Portella

An official wiki would never happen as wiki are place for free information, well detailed etc. with that the FR wiki would not be really good as all the information about the realms is copyrighted. So you would get half baked facts with a lot of gaps every where. so if you want to know what happen when myth drannor was formed again with the help of the high elf that the name escapes me, You have to buy the book as book charring is also against copy right.

But the people holding the IP are free to share it, if they wish. And saying "This city was founded by Bahb the Fighter, as told in the novel Bahb Kills Some Bad Guys And Does Some Stuff" conveys information without sharing anything they want you to spend money on. If they control access to who can post, and put a release date on info from the novels, then it could work. So if Bahb accidently destroys Baldur's Gate in book 2, they could wait 4 or 6 months after the release of the novel before saying in the Baldur's Gate entry "The city of Baldur's Gate was accidentally destroyed by Bahb the Fighter in an incident involving three pixies, a deepspawn, and a dire werechicken, as told in the novel Bahb's Big Oops. For further developments, see Bahb Strikes Back, coming in July 2009."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6651 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  06:27:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Portella

As I understand it, the term "FR wiki" was a placeholder for a web design hosted on the WotC site that would be exactly like a fleshed out FR wikipedia grouping but hosted (and controlled) by WotC. Fans would be allowed to do entries but such entries would be vetted by the keepers of the quasi-wiki and the public would be unable to change stuff etc. In other words, they wanted to set up something of their own, much like FR Wikipedia, but presumably better.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  17:32:02  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

"The city of Baldur's Gate was accidentally destroyed by Bahb the Fighter in an incident involving three pixies, a deepspawn, and a dire werechicken, as told in the novel Bahb's Big Oops. For further developments, see Bahb Strikes Back, coming in July 2009."

Dude... don't give them any ideas.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  17:55:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn, I think Wooly just gave them the next RSE.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  16:00:06  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would said FR Wiki be as detailed as "There are frostfolk living in the Land of Snow Demons as mentioned in the novel Frostfell"?

That's the kind of encyclopedia I mean.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  18:09:46  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ed mentioned at GEN-CON 2007 that there was talk of an "official" FR Wiki to be organised and run by WotC but I'm guessing that nothing has come of this.

-- George Krashos

-Neither Rich Baker nor Bruce Cordell have mentioned anything of them since. That's definitely something to bark up the tree about, though. Given WotC's problems with their online stuff, though...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000