Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 123

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  04:00:33  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
And to go serious for a moment, I'm guessing that Ed's "base cost" for GenCon is largely hotel rooms, which run around $170/night in the downtown, at con rates, plus an almost 20 percent [or will be; it goes up next year, I'm told] state "occupancy tax."
You can stay at B&Bs or distant hotels for less, the room rate is always the same for one or two people and goes up with more occupants after that, and there ARE cheap eats like the Subway and the Steak & Shake (and the food court in the attached mall). Of course, they're not always stellar food (though the Subway is probably the healthiest food in the downtown).
However, Ed's the expert here. I'd wager he's attended more GenCons than anyone else here at the Keep (if I remember rightly, it's GenCon 8, then 13, then 17 to date - - and we're up to, what, 42?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  05:10:53  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage  Send Kes_Alanadel a Yahoo! Message Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
Aye, I was able to attend this year for just under 1600 USD, with hotel, food, air fair, and what I bought at the Con. The restaurant at the Hilton Garden Inn had a really great soup and salad bar, and I walked to a nearby store for basics as snacks and breakfast to help keep costs down and eat healthy. (GenCon was a reward for losing weight/pant sizes, so I didn't want to undo all my hard work, lol. Plus I saved up for over a year to be able to do this year.) Most of the places I went to, you could find something fairly healthy on the menus, but you just had to dig a bit. :)

Thanks Ed for the suggestions about local conventions. The Paizo one would be the closest to me, since I'm only about 250-275 miles south of Seattle. Although any kind of fun trip has been put on hold for me indefinitely, since I'm embarking on a new career as a college student, and finding out that "poor college student" is indeed a true statement!

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  07:40:45  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

@Ed: Are you sure you're not an angel in human form? 'Cause I'm really beginning to think that! (An angel of Sharess, purrhaps? )

Depending on how things go, I may well take you up on the offer of a meal - as for the rest... well, I couldn't accept such generosity.

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Ahem.
"but that's not the only time I've head such sentiments"
Zandilar, PLEASE tell me that's a typo.
Or, dear Mystra, I'll explode with mirth. I will.
BB

*picks herself off the ground after laughing herself off her chair*

Oh, I wonder where the r went?! No, it wasn't intentional... But funny nevertheless.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  08:02:30  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Excuse me from being a pest, my Lady and Ed, but I assume the rest of my questions regarding slavery are waiting for an answer, and were not unnoticed, yes? (I'm chronically insecure about asking anything on the internet... comes from when I was a kid and nobody would listen to me when I was right in front of them... seriously)

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  08:17:24  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
I can understand your feelings about insecurity re: posting on the web, Menelvagor. But there's really never any need to concern yourself with that here. Rest assured, the eternal vigilance of the Lady Hooded One has ensured her recording of your questions for Ed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  11:04:55  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Greetings sweet Lady.

It seems like I have another question to add to Ed's long list, as it seems like he might be the only one to know the answer.

I was reading in the Grey Box (again) and on the entry on the diplomat Luvon Greencloak in Cormanthor, I found the location-name of Cormesta being used. I cant remember seeing that name before (although I must remember that elven history is not my strong suite), is it a variant of Cormanthyr, the name of a settlement or what?

Thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  11:33:00  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I recommend staying in Indy Sunday night, or it'll feel like you're leaving a party that's still raging.

Sunday evening is also a good moment to hook up with some people and have a drink-and-a-bite.

As for registration: assuming the systemw ill work the same as this year, you can try to volunteer for the RPGA for 4 slots (to DM, or for setup if you're quick) and get a DM badge (7 slots also gets a room wednesday til sunday). Then you only need to be at Will Call if you bought tickets online. Of course, that takes up a few slots, and it will need some planning if you want to attend a few seminars.

And if I'll be at GenCon 2011, which is not a given, I'd be happy to buy you (and THO, if she makes it there, and Ed) a meal and a drink. Or several drinks.

Edit: and I'll be happy to buy a round for the guys I met this year as well (Brian, Brian, Matt, Chris, Jeff, and Erik). Or at least arrange for the pizza.

Gomez

Edited by - gomez on 21 Aug 2009 15:00:19
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  15:36:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Jorkens, "Cormesta" was a tent settlement located in various spots on the edges of the great forest that contains the ruins of Myth Drannor and borders or surrounds many of the Dales.
In other words, it was moved about by the elves to avoid Zhentarim and brigand depredations, plus attempts by wealthy Sembians to dominate it. The elves established it in the late 1330s, and it appeared in various forms until around 1362 DR or so; they intended it to be a "trading fair" where humans and other races could meet and trade with elves, hopefully without blundering deeper into the forest.
It served its purpose, but wasn't a shining success - - other than as a way for the elves to learn and identify some of the Sembian and Zhent traders who were most keen to acquire elven magic and goods, by whatever means (bribery, murder, robbery, etc. as well as through trade). Luvon saw its usefulness in this regard (as in: "Brings the b***tards to one place, so we can save on time and foot-sores and arrows in taking them down," though those actual words would never, of course, be uttered by Greencloak), but did not think that its establishment was that great an idea. For one thing, its moving about led to wild tavern-tales and expeditions to search for "lost Cormesta," and beliefs about all sorts of magic elves used to hide the place, which would of course be very useful to humans if hey could get their hands on such Art, by any means.
All the above comes from Ed's notes and discussions with him over the years.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3075 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  18:57:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

quote:

I recommend staying in Indy Sunday night, or it'll feel like you're leaving a party that's still raging.

Sunday evening is also a good moment to hook up with some people and have a drink-and-a-bite.

As for registration: assuming the systemw ill work the same as this year, you can try to volunteer for the RPGA for 4 slots (to DM, or for setup if you're quick) and get a DM badge (7 slots also gets a room wednesday til sunday). Then you only need to be at Will Call if you bought tickets online. Of course, that takes up a few slots, and it will need some planning if you want to attend a few seminars.

And if I'll be at GenCon 2011, which is not a given, I'd be happy to buy you (and THO, if she makes it there, and Ed) a meal and a drink. Or several drinks.

Edit: and I'll be happy to buy a round for the guys I met this year as well (Brian, Brian, Matt, Chris, Jeff, and Erik). Or at least arrange for the pizza.

Gomez

Assuming that it's will be the same next year, volunteering for Paizo Pathfinder Society games holds similar rewards. They have a 'Tier' system depending on how much you volunteer. If you go all out, you'll get a four day pass and all the bells and whistles. I volunteered to run two scenarios and got a discount at the Paizo booth, credit on my GenCon account and a nice tee-shirt!

Also, I agree with THO, stay Sunday night (I know some were forced to because of weather problems in Chicago). Not only does it make Sunday more relaxing, but you're also not trying to carry around your luggage since you have to check out in the morning.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  19:07:52  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Jorkens, "Cormesta" was a tent settlement located in various spots on the edges of the great forest that contains the ruins of Myth Drannor and borders or surrounds many of the Dales.
In other words, it was moved about by the elves to avoid Zhentarim and brigand depredations, plus attempts by wealthy Sembians to dominate it. The elves established it in the late 1330s, and it appeared in various forms until around 1362 DR or so; they intended it to be a "trading fair" where humans and other races could meet and trade with elves, hopefully without blundering deeper into the forest.
It served its purpose, but wasn't a shining success - - other than as a way for the elves to learn and identify some of the Sembian and Zhent traders who were most keen to acquire elven magic and goods, by whatever means (bribery, murder, robbery, etc. as well as through trade). Luvon saw its usefulness in this regard (as in: "Brings the b***tards to one place, so we can save on time and foot-sores and arrows in taking them down," though those actual words would never, of course, be uttered by Greencloak), but did not think that its establishment was that great an idea. For one thing, its moving about led to wild tavern-tales and expeditions to search for "lost Cormesta," and beliefs about all sorts of magic elves used to hide the place, which would of course be very useful to humans if hey could get their hands on such Art, by any means.
All the above comes from Ed's notes and discussions with him over the years.
love,
THO

Thank you to you both Ed and Lady of the Hood.

This will be useful, a settlement that might be located anywhere along the borders if needed. Great for starting adventures or to give the characters a helping hand if needed.

But if it was a spot for trading, how did it fill this role? Did the inhabitants move along a set trail or where runners sent out to surrounding areas informing of the new location of the settlement?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  19:42:57  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

(I know some were forced to because of weather problems in Chicago).

Doesn't even want to talk about what Chicago was like on Sunday. My 1030 arrival turned into 230. What a freaking mess Chicago turned into.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
654 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  20:19:54  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
Hey, Ed! Congratulations on getting your own Liber amicorum!

I am guessing the answer will be NDA, but a question: in Laeral's entry in The Seven sisters, you wrote about the two other survivors of the Nine. Can you share anything about the other six(presumably dead, even as of 1367 DR) members of the Nine? Who were they? Were they always the same Nine, or did the roster fluctuate over time? If you can share anything about some of their henchmen and hangers-on, that would be very nice, too.

Club Secretary of the Dragons on the Hill RPG Club of London, UK: http://dragonsonthehill.co.uk/.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  22:36:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
I bring you the latest Realmslore reply from Ed:

Jorkens, elves left word at the inns all across the Dales, then functioned as guides to Cormesta for interested traders.

Thaura,arth, I wish I could say more about the Nine right now, but I can't; they're under a shiny new NDA. Which should in itself tell you something. ;}

So saith Ed. A subtle hinter, as always! (As in: as subtle as brick.)
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 21 Aug 2009 22:37:27
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  00:40:21  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Ed are there regions with strong magnetic fields in the underdark that make traversing them with metal possesions difficult to nigh impossible?

Can you name a few off the top of head possibly?

Glad you had a great Gencon, wasn't able to make it this year, dad now.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  02:18:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Ed and THO,

I'm once again going to take a stab at penetrating an NDA wall, but it's a rather vague hypothesis, so if anything more detailed is not NDA'd, I'm always interested.

The pyramids of Ascore:

quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

I asked Ed about this one and I got 3 letters...

NDA.

Conversation with other scribes here at the Keep got me thinking that they form a magical binding circle (given their appearance on the map of the ruins). Are they related in any way to the nameless evil that has been lurking/trapped in Ascore for the past two millennia-plus?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 22 Aug 2009 02:31:28
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
654 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  07:18:06  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
Thaura,arth, I wish I could say more about the Nine right now, but I can't; they're under a shiny new NDA. Which should in itself tell you something. ;}

love to all,
THO

Thanks for the reply (quick, too!). Shiny new, huh? A very subtle hint indeed... Allow me to retreat and go slap myself, while repeating the mantra "Why did you not think of this earlier, you big schmuck!"

Club Secretary of the Dragons on the Hill RPG Club of London, UK: http://dragonsonthehill.co.uk/.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  08:55:35  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all.
I bring you the latest Realmslore reply from Ed:

Jorkens, elves left word at the inns all across the Dales, then functioned as guides to Cormesta for interested traders.

love to all,
THO

Thanks again. Its amazing that this settlement, with all its potential in adventures has been left untouched throughout all the published products since the grey box.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  10:00:59  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Thank you, Lady THO, and I apologize for not getting here sooner. I got together with an old friend for a three day Forgotten Realms campaign, which I haven't done in a few years, and that took up a lot of my time these last few days.

I really am appreciative of the information on Miior. I was wanting to use her properly (if I find myself forced to run the adventure since I can't find someone to run me, LOL). Thank you so much for the information thus far, and I look forward to hearing more if Mr. Greenwood's able to say more and can find the time. I always love hearing about Cormyr and the areas therein. It always reminds me of Joran and causes me to want to play him all the more.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  10:02:42  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Draenar

I'm quite excited to hear about Elminster Must Die. (That title is great.)

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart
My first question is: What year was it when Storm and Elminster went to the magefair? I think it was before the Time of Troubles, but just wanted to make sure.

It took place in 1355 DR, according to this (official) site: http://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/fr_timeline.asp. (It's not very up-to-date, but I've found it a good quick-reference, when hunting through the Grand History would be too distracting.)

Ah, thank you my friend!! I appreciate the time you took to find this out for me!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  16:57:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring this tidbit, from Ed of the Greenwood:

Hi, Jakk. Regarding CASTLEMOURN, my honest answer is: right now, I don't know about its future. I have to chat with Jamie Chambers and Margaret Weis and see what their take on things is/are; I still have (eventual, future) plans for novels set in Castlemourn, with or without MWP involvement. I'd like to see Brian Gute and Jenn Brozek (plus three other writers who must remain secret for now, two because I haven't fully discussed this with them yet, and the other because of the uncertainty and his situation) get a chance to spread their wings and do Castlemourn fiction, probably a line of novels. However, I do want you to know that as far as I'm concerned, Castlemourn is NOT dead, and I retain rights to the setting.
And then there's Embersea . . .

So saith Ed. Who I know chatted with a Tor editor at GenCon, and of course is now working with Paizo and Herobits and Goodman Games, not to mention Open Design and of course WotC.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  17:26:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Tidbit time again, courtesy of Ed!
Back on page 80 of this thread, The Sage asked this (as a followup to a query from Markustay about Ed telling us about any Chosen who might reside outside Faerûn): “Ed, I'd also like to hear more about any Chosen of Mystra who might reside [or, maybe, once did reside] beyond Toril itself, perhaps somewhere else out among the reaches of Realmspace?”
Ed replies:

Some of what I’d like to say is under several NDAs, but I can mention one such Chosen: Narandor the Metal Mage. An embittered, cynical hermit (think Eeyore in the Pooh tales, for disposition), this archwizard of early Halruaa ended up on the wrong end of a spell-duel and got mangled horribly, in magics that kept him alive to feel the pain as a foe’s sequence of minor acid-burst and transforming spells wracked him (envisage, if you will, spells that shield the target from system shock and unconsciousness, and shapeshift them constantly to heal and reform around budding cysts in the interior of which flesh-searing acid is developed; the cysts grow and then burst, showering the surrounding flesh of the victim with agonizing “melting” effects; the cysts have an interior coating that resists and contains the acid until the cyst ruptures).
Debilitated but unable to die, Narandor writhed in helpless pain until some of his former apprentices found him. They tried to quell the spells riding him, but managed only to isolate them in several of his limbs—which they then blasted into oblivion. Narandor lost consciousness, and they debated as to what to do for him; slay him out of mercy, transform him utterly, transfer his sentience into a beast-body, or - - their eventual choice - - replace his missing limbs with flowmetal, something many Halruaans had been working on. This is in effect “living” metal that bonds with an organic body and slowly poisons it, but in the meantime can function as replacement limbs, digits, etc. Flowmetal’s poisoning has never been overcome, and its use was later abandoned as spells were developed that could “infect” it swiftly to cause death of someone bonded to it in a handful of breaths, but Narandor received a right arm and shoulder, a right leg, and a left knee, all of replacement flowmetal - - which he has to this day. He counteracted the poisoning by devising a spell that shifts the chemical balance of his remaining organic body constantly, so that it flows in shape, weeps a pus of ceaseless discharges, and can grow functional fingers, breasts, crude press-lungs, false eyes, etc. as he wills.
Narandor was already a master of skyship design, and he sailed one of his ships high into the sky and tethered it to a magically-levitated chunk of rock (all that remained of a blasted-to-dust “skycastle” fortress, that had once belonged to a Netherese archwizard until several rivals decided to destroy him whilst he was in residence).
Then Narandor used his spells to cover the rock with edible mosses, lichens, and mushrooms, and settled down in isolation to devise new spells. His experiments were long and studded with more failures than successes, but he eventually achieved two things: the ability to ensnare moisture and shield his home from the full heat of the sun, so as to keep that dampness and preserve his plants from baking on the rock - - and the ability to move his home through the skies with fair precision. Whereupon, of course, he set about traveling around collecting other aerial fragments, and “growing” his home into his own private little jungle, plus bits and pieces of several ruined skyships and aerial abodes.
Mystra imbued him with some of her silver fire (with his enthusiastic agreement) not to have him be a meddling “remake the world” Chosen, but to store some of herself where others were unlikely to come into contact with it. For his part, Narandor gained a permanent freedom from the flowmetal poisoning effect (the silver fire offsets it), Mystra’s love, gratitude, and presence whenever he grows lonely and calls for it, and philosophical debates from time to time with Mystra or various of her servitors, who now act as Narandor’s agents in Faerûn, to bring him back items he desires (mainly substances for spell experimentations).
Narandor is now fairly contented, though he retains his doleful manner, and lives his life making various exotic wines, researching spells, and using his magics to observe events on Faerûn far below.
This is all pre-Spellplague, of course; what befalls him when the Weave fails is up to you; I’d suspect his aerial home would be sent on a wild ride, and eventually crash to earth - - but I’d not count Narandor out as conveniently dying in the crash. I’d suspect he’d survive the Spellplague, as a disfigured, part-metal wandering wizard who keeps to himself and stays hidden as much as possible. Extremely bad news for any arrogant young warlock or wizard who encounters and misjudges him, of course. ;}

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms, and spinner of masterful little tidbits of additional Realmslore (like this one) whenever we can nudge him into doing so.
And I (she purred) am a nudger from way back . . .

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1201 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  18:46:15  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message
Horrible and fascinating! Thanks Ed and THO

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2066 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  18:55:10  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
are there plans for a falconfar campaign setting book???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  20:41:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
sfdragon, I sent your query off to Ed, and he sent back:

There are vague, nebulous, no-publisher-attached plans for a setting book, yes. However, don't expect to see one soon. The final novel in the trilogy, also called FALCONFAR, has been submitted to the publisher, accepted, and is expected to appear in February 2010.
I say "expected" because there's a complicating factor (which is also why setting book plans remain nebulous): Black Library put the Solaris imprint up for sale, and any new owner may well have different plans (and interpretations of current books and series) than Solaris has right now.
However, yes, I would very much like to do a Falconfar setting book. Even a boardgame. :}

So saith Ed. Builder of worlds upon worlds...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  21:28:35  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
I bring this tidbit, from Ed of the Greenwood:

Hi, Jakk. Regarding CASTLEMOURN, my honest answer is: right now, I don't know about its future. I have to chat with Jamie Chambers and Margaret Weis and see what their take on things is/are; I still have (eventual, future) plans for novels set in Castlemourn, with or without MWP involvement. I'd like to see Brian Gute and Jenn Brozek (plus three other writers who must remain secret for now, two because I haven't fully discussed this with them yet, and the other because of the uncertainty and his situation) get a chance to spread their wings and do Castlemourn fiction, probably a line of novels. However, I do want you to know that as far as I'm concerned, Castlemourn is NOT dead, and I retain rights to the setting.
And then there's Embersea . . .<snip>

Yes... and let's not forget Falconfar, as mentioned in Ed's reply to sfdragon... many very good things... thank you, Ed and THO.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 123 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000