Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  20:25:16  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
As I sit watching football games, a thought occurs to me: do the armed forces of Cormyr have any sort of trophies that can be won, either challenge cups or annual or every-Shieldmeet affairs? Do the nobles of the realm have any? The War Wizards?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  20:28:22  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Oh, great question! I was going to ask something similar.
So, Ed and THO, here's mine:
In Waterdeep, pre-Spellplague, are there any recurring public competitions? As in, open to everyone, not just within guilds or within the nobles or private wagers between trade rivals? (I.e. not "first ship in" for the season or anything of the sort, but something, whether there's a prize or not, in which any citizen who cares to participates in?)
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  20:31:31  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Some years back at a convention I attended (U-Con in Ann Arbor, Michigan), Ed made mention of a certain "lady to beware" in Athkatla, one Maraera Moontalar, but never said why she was dangerous or should evoke wariness.
Ed, care to share? Or is this something still NDA?
Thank you in advance for anything you can say about this, which has intrigued me since then.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  22:24:41  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Ed, THO, is there any places in the Realms were natural phenomena takes place for extended periods of time?

The reason I ask is I just finished watching a show called "Raging Planet" on the Discovery Channel. This show was about Lightning. One part of the show was about how in Venezuala, in a certain area at night about 200 days out of the year has a lightning storm for about 10 hours a night. Hundreds of years ago sailors used the storms as a "lighthouse".

So anything like this in the Realms.

Obviously it would by sacred to the Stormlord.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 15 Nov 2009 03:05:31
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  22:46:19  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
I think that this was touched on once before, but wanted to ask just to make sure. Everyone knows of the Northern Lights, and I was just curious if there was anything like that in the Realms, and if so, where? Also, are there any tribes or religions that hold them as a sign from their deity or worship them? Thank you for your time.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2009 :  00:46:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Helm

Oh, great question! I was going to ask something similar.
So, Ed and THO, here's mine:
In Waterdeep, pre-Spellplague, are there any recurring public competitions? As in, open to everyone, not just within guilds or within the nobles or private wagers between trade rivals? (I.e. not "first ship in" for the season or anything of the sort, but something, whether there's a prize or not, in which any citizen who cares to participates in?)
Thank you.

Tymora's Luck, pages 100-4 mentions a couple of Waterdhavian lotteries... One of them was run by a halfling named Joshuan Havabuck. It was a bet on the daily tonnage of cargo arriving by ship on any given day. Since the dockmaster was known to be incorruptible, it was a pretty reputable thing. "Fast Joshy" took a gold for a bet, paid out a thousand gold, and had 10,000 players on a regular basis.

That one was in the Dock Ward. Widow Silvermane did something similar in the North Ward, and there are horse races -- with betting and odds -- at the Field of Triumph Race Track in the Sea Ward.

And there's at least a couple of gambling houses, too, discussed in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep. People in places like that will bet on just about anything.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Nov 2009 00:48:28
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2009 :  01:14:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And there's at least a couple of gambling houses, too, discussed in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep. People in places like that will bet on just about anything.
2e's City of Splendors contains a bit of info on them also.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2009 :  02:27:38  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by A Gavel

Dear Ed and THO,
Some years back at a convention I attended (U-Con in Ann Arbor, Michigan), Ed made mention of a certain "lady to beware" in Athkatla, one Maraera Moontalar, but never said why she was dangerous or should evoke wariness.
Ed, care to share? Or is this something still NDA?
Thank you in advance for anything you can say about this, which has intrigued me since then.

Ooh! Mysterious NPC! Consider this request seconded! Thank you again for whatever you can tell us... even if it is "NDA"...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2009 :  06:48:38  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Apologies, but here I go again...

I was rounding up my CK musings/rantings on the Spellplague and other topics when I found a year-old scroll about Nalavarauthatoryl:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2320
In this scroll, I asked about a rumoured contradiction regarding the death date of Thatoryl Elian; Garen Thal responded, but was unable to answer my question due to NDA. My question (strictly logistical in nature) is this: Is the aforementioned contradiction resolved in the Cormyr Lineage document? I expect the answer will be "NDA", but I thought I'd try all the same...

Thank you for all your efforts in pushing for the release of the Lineage, and it would be my best Christmas present ever... but I'm thinking (optimistically) Christmas 2012, so don't do anything drastic on that account...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2009 :  11:01:35  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
okay I have abizzre question that came out of the blue.....
have any of the nobles in Cormyr that gain the position of Noble ever got the position by wining a bet??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  02:38:07  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Thanks, Wooly and Sage, but I really meant the sort of competitions where those who participate have to DO something, not just place bets or play a game. Something physical or some sort of an achievement, I meant. Didn't word my question very well; sorry. I suppose even a scavenger hunt would count, but I wasn't really thinking sports (so, no races).
Ed and THO, please consider my question reworded, okay?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  03:52:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Apologies, but here I go again...

I was rounding up my CK musings/rantings on the Spellplague and other topics when I found a year-old scroll about Nalavarauthatoryl:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2320
In this scroll, I asked about a rumoured contradiction regarding the death date of Thatoryl Elian; Garen Thal responded, but was unable to answer my question due to NDA. My question (strictly logistical in nature) is this: Is the aforementioned contradiction resolved in the Cormyr Lineage document? I expect the answer will be "NDA", but I thought I'd try all the same...

Thank you for all your efforts in pushing for the release of the Lineage, and it would be my best Christmas present ever... but I'm thinking (optimistically) Christmas 2012, so don't do anything drastic on that account...

I didn't know that the solution was NDA. It is however elegant and impressive.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  10:48:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
When is Falconfar: Archwizard in paperback being released?

I loved Dark Vengance.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  11:44:43  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message
A simple Realms-terminology question...

What is infection called in the Realms? As in, someone gets cut and the wound becomes infected. It sounds a bit too clinical to me.

On a related note, how about some other quasi medical terms. Do any of these have specific Realsmian equivalents?

artery
pulse
heart attack
stroke
cancer

I'm sure you can, and already have, thought of a few dozen more, and I'd love to hear them.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  13:40:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

When is Falconfar: Archwizard in paperback being released?
My local distributor says it ships early-to-mid December in Australia. Though, I suspect Ed might have a more accurate date, if one is available.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  14:13:59  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Thanks Sage.

I keep getting late December when I google search it, when I was told November by the local B&N employee in September.

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 16 Nov 2009 14:15:22
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  21:01:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

heart attack

Thanks

Heart Stop, I believe.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  21:26:24  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Hello again. I actually have another question about elves if that's all right. What are the special ceremonies that elves drink elverquisst for, and what all are entailed in the ceremonies? And does elverquisst date back to Faerie also, or was that something that came to them later on? Are there known families that make elverquisst that produce bottles that elves prefer over others? Thank you for your time!

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  21:46:54  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Hello again. I actually have another question about elves if that's all right. What are the special ceremonies that elves drink elverquisst for, and what all are entailed in the ceremonies? And does elverquisst date back to Faerie also, or was that something that came to them later on? Are there known families that make elverquisst that produce bottles that elves prefer over others? Thank you for your time!

Seconded: This is one of those 'How did none of us ever ask this one before' questions.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  22:30:21  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

quote:

Seconded: This is one of those 'How did none of us ever ask this one before' questions.

Hey, thanks Knight!!

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  22:40:12  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ozzalum, a stroke is "godstruck" or "godsmite" (according to my notes of an old Ed seminar at a Milwaukee-era GenCon). I also recall Ed saying there's a section on medical terminology and general "state of that art" in his huge root Realmslore package he gave Wizards to furnish Realms authors with...
BB
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  23:10:42  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

quote:

Hey, thanks Knight!!

Nono- Thank YOU
To add to the query; I've always assumed that Elverquisst is imbibed at room temperature- but are there either 'varietals' of Elverquisst which are considered better chilled or iced, or perhaps certain groups that traditionally chill the drink? Is there a single, overriding method for producing the beverage, or does each 'vintner' have his/her own devices? Finally, how does ageing affect elverquisst? Can all elverquisst be aged? (For those scribes who aren't cork-dorks like I am, comparitively few RL wines benefit from ageing, and the vast majority of those can really only be aged for a decade or so before declining and eventually becoming vinegar)
Actually, on a related note, what percentage of Faerunian wine is vintage wine?
Sorry to be so greedy with the wine questions, but if there's a field of nerdery to which I am more devoted than Realmslore, it's Oenophilia.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  23:36:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Knight of the Gate, Ed and I are also interested in wines. The Realms has liqueurs, sherries, and "winter wines" (wherein wines are poured out in pans at below freezing winter temperatures, the ice skimmed off, and therefore the alcohol content of the remainder is increased) that are meant to last for years, in stoppered bottles suitably wax-sealed, but I'd say a little more than 80 percent of wines in the Realms are designed to be drunk right away, and kept for no more than three seasons at most (usually less). They are little more than a way of "trusting the drinking water" or achieving pleasant tastes, or both, for some.
There ARE connoisseurs, especially among nobility and wealthy wannabe-nobles in Waterdeep, Cormyr, Amn, and elsewhere, who champion and enjoy the remaining 20 percent or so of wines, which usually can be aged 10 to 12 years at most before they start to fade (vinegar in about 20, give or take 2 years each way).
Elves make wines, and halflings beer, and dwarves and gnomes fortified spirits, that last MUCH longer, however (but these rarely reach human markets or attention. Some human-city-dwelling demihumans use them as "bases" for various medicines that they sell to humans.
And those are the basics. Ed has extensive notes on this topic, but I'm not sure how much is NDA and how much he's free to share.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  00:09:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

heart attack

Thanks

Heart Stop, I believe.

Kuje has the right of it. From Ed, in October 2004:-
quote:
heartstop (heart attack)

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  13:18:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Ozzalum, a stroke is "godstruck" or "godsmite" (according to my notes of an old Ed seminar at a Milwaukee-era GenCon). I also recall Ed saying there's a section on medical terminology and general "state of that art" in his huge root Realmslore package he gave Wizards to furnish Realms authors with...
BB

I've used "sweet sickness" to denote diabetes in my writings. I recall also using "brain bolt" to describe a stroke.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  17:33:07  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
Thanks for the lore, THO: I am not only a cork-dork myself, but most of my players are, too. This sort of thing comes up shockingly often in our campaigns. Thanks again, Lady!

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2009 :  05:18:54  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

The following question was originally asked in George Krashos's scroll; I am reposting here as his response (also posted here) hinted that you may have an answer... whether or not that answer is bound by NDA is another matter.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I've finally found Ed's missive regarding Manshoon. Here it is in all its (short) glory ...

Manshoon’s family name is “Shoon,” and all members of his family use a single name, derived by adding a prefix to “Shoon” (usually an established family one, such as Brar/Brarrara; Caul/Caulra; Dusk/Duskra; Farl/Farla; Gul/Gularra; Harl/Harla; Kul/Kuldra; Man/Mana; Pel/Pelra; Sarr/Sarrla; Tarl/Tarla; Vorl/Vorlarra [the male form first, female form second]). So, no first name and surname, just a single name. This is a naming convention once very popular in southerly coastal lands (of the coast known, in its more northerly reaches, as the Sword Coast), but now dying out because most of the peoples who used it were conquered or made slaves, and gradually died out or intermarried and in any case adopted the naming conventions of those “over” them (so as to “belong” and escape inferior status).

This of course, tells you where Manshoon’s family originally came from. Don’t forget he had an older brother; as far as we know in print thus far, he killed off all of his kin, but the Knights have been searching for an elusive sister of his (Duskrashoon) AND a niece (Tarlashoon) for years, without success - - because they’ve been hiding from Manshoon, and know his finding them will mean their deaths; they are of course far from Zhentil Keep and don’t use their original names.

-- George Krashos

I don't know why it took me this long to ask this question, being the obsessive genealogist that I am, but I was wondering if the precise connection between Manshoon and his infamous southern relatives has been mapped out, and if so, is it NDA? (I'll assume an affirmative answer to the latter question, regardless of the answer to the former.)

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

No, no details regarding the Shoon Dynasty and Shoon family have been mapped out that I'm aware of - of course Ed has that answer (and a myriad of others) so I guess we'll have to defer to him.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - Jakk on 18 Nov 2009 05:22:05
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2009 :  21:38:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ozzalum, I found another general term for infections in my Ed-campaign-play notes: infected battle wounds were often referred to as having "swordtaint" (or being "swordtainted").
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2009 :  23:31:52  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message
Excellent, just what I was looking for. And thanks to you other guys too. I especially like sweet sickness.

Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2009 :  18:01:19  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Have either of you, or anyone you know of, ever tried or thought about running a campaign where all the PCs were War Wizards or Highknights, In Cormyr, or the equivalents in other realms of FR, doing a combination of BONES or NCIS casework, and James Bond-style counter-espionage?
The notion has struck me, and I just want to explore any pitfalls or glitches or complications or things to gaurd against/not miss, in making this really work for the players in my new Realms campaign (haven't decided yet on pre- or post-Spellplague). Any other scribes who read this, please comment and pitch in on whatever's said. I'm interested in the "defending the society and playing within its rules" aspect more than the usual "adventurers haul out swords and spells, and just hack and blast bad guys" aspect.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000