Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  22:33:19  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Longtime Lurker, I've heard Ed speak on the Spellplague, and he said it was like many lightning strikes or tornadoes: clobbered some spots and left things that were right beside those destroyed spots completely untouched. Unpredictable, varying wildly in effects from place to place, MAINLY long ago and over with (cue the local array of colourful stories) - - but still active in some places, in unexpected spurts or spasms or whatever term you prefer.
Ed specifically said that it can be a carte blanche way of not only eliminating or reversing the 4e Realms changes published in the Guide, but also a way of moving things around (genasi to another land or city, for example, or the location of a published adventure to a different spot).
BB
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  22:36:21  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I have a campaign question: paints. I know local dyes and pigments can be derived in lots of places, but are there any cities or realms in the just-pre-Spellplague era known for producing "special" paints? Or large selections of well-regarded paints for sale? Who makes "the best" paints? Do they travel well?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  22:52:49  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
One Ed term for cannon fodder I recall from long ago is "gorcraw feed."
Meaning, I thinking, soon-to-be-carrion vultures or buzzards or the equivalent would feed on.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  23:06:55  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Years (?) back, in this thread, Ed was asked about what he'd been reading during that week, or some short, recent time period.
I've just had to move for job reasons, and am looking to buy a shelf-load of books for my reading pleasure, not to mention looking ahead to Christmas and the inevitable family presents (I like to give books).
So, Ed and THO, could you oblige with some recent titles you've enjoyed?
I don't need an exhaustive "here's everything I read" list, nor do the books have to be new (I buy plenty of secondhand books for me), but I'm hoping I'll discover some new interesting reads. Anything from cookbooks to politics, please, not just fantasy and sf. Though I know Ed just judged the Sunbursts, and eyeballed a LOT of fantasy and sf...
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  01:39:19  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

My questions seem to meet wall of silence, I know I ask odd ones often so understandable, how about this, Exactly what is larlyn used for, its properties? How much sap can one get from average treant upon defeating it, I'm going with treant being unwilling to let someone drill holes in it, is the larlyn its blood or another fluid within Treant?
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  02:58:51  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message
Reposting, because I guess it got lost amidst all the demands for book spoilers and help writing one's own campaign (grizzle, grumble, whinge).

quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

Hello. My first ever question to Mr Greenwood, and one I've never been able to find anything about elsewhere.

Weekends in the Realms - do they have them, and if so, how many days are there, and how are they arranged in the ten-day week? Is there a set-aside "holy day" (I know some deities have weekly ceremonies) or day of rest? And is there a common market-day, or does it vary from town-to-town?

I did some research on 10-day-week calenders. Ancient Egypt, Tang Dynasty China and Revolutionary France all had 10 day weeks, with the latter two having one day off at the end (rather unpopular, I imagine).

One more, if I might beg. How would Elminster react to someone invoking his name falsely? Maybe from "Elminster himself recommends my pies!" to "I have Elminster waiting out back, ready to blast you all."

Like when a certain trickster-mage PC with the aid of a glibness spell tries to scare off a drow pirate ship by claiming that both Elminster and Khelben are on board. I'm sure the Old Sage with his Chosen ability to hear his name spoken anywhere in the world would catch a bit of "Will you be quiet, woman!? You'll wake up Elminster and Khelben, here - and at their age, if you wake them from their nap, you know they'll get cranky and start throwing spells around! They didn't come to Chessenta on holiday to be bothered by drow, or pirates, or both at the same time, after all!" :D

I'm thinking that a stern talking to would be in order. :) Especially after any number of would-be assassins and enemy agents get wind of it and begin converging on the party... :D

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  03:10:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
There's no need to re-post, BCM. The Lady Hooded One remains vigilant in noticing each and every question posed to Ed from all the scribes of Candlekeep. It's more likely that Ed simply has had an opportunity to respond as yet.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2009 :  22:59:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Back in mid-July, Blueblade asked this: “Are there any "mass" makers of nails, spikes, or other metal fasteners (screws? bolts? Do they exist in the Realms at this time?) circa the 1370s, in Cormyr?
Some sort of foundry/factory, I mean, as opposed to every smith hand-making what he needs "plus a few extra" for sale. I didn't mean hinges or hook and eye catches, but now that I'm asking, I might as well include them, too . . . Thanks!”
and Malcolm chimed in: “I'd like to ride the coat tails of Blueblade's request: if there are such foundries or factories, is there one or more in Suzail? Can we know something about them (name, location, reputation, do they sell through other shops?). Please? Thank you!”
Ed now replies:

Everything I say here is a generalization, with many local exceptions that DMs should feel free to invent as enthusiastically as they see fit, okay?
In the 1370s, in Faerűn, screws and threaded bolts are “holy secrets of Gond,” and pretty much limited to temples and to furniture and special devices built, guarded, and used only by priests of that god.
Bolts ARE known to dwarf and gnome smiths, and human smiths up and down the Sword Coast and around the shores of the Shining Sea, but they’re of the (lacking threads) “rod pierced by hole that’s filled with a wedge or pin [[‘cotter pin’ in modern North American real-world parlance]]” sort, where the rod is run through a hole in a timber or stone block, and the pin applied to the hole on its far side to keep the rod from being pulled back through, shim-wedges being used if necessary to make the fastening secure and rigid rather than loose and with ‘play’ in it.
“Strap” hinges with simple, single pivot pins are known and widely used, right across the known Realms, as are rigid angle-braces of the same design (lacking a hinge, but having instead a bent right angle of metal) used to protect and strengthen the corners and sides of carry-chests and strongchests. Hook-and-eye catches are known but not so widely used, being mainly restricted to small-sized, interior uses (seasonal freezing problems make larger and exterior usages rare in the North). Nails, spikes, and wedges (wooden, metal, and stone) are known everywhere, though only dwarves and gnomes make and work with stone ones, and wooden ones are less and less popular due to weathering/short-life problems). Delicate work such as needles and wire tend to be rare and expensive, more known-of in Calimshan and the Tashalar than elsewhere.
You’re correct in surmising that the majority of mongery production among humans is smiths hand-making what is pressingly needed "plus a few extra for sale.” Apprentices are often kept busy making nails and spikes, so successful smiths tend to build up a fairly impressive inventory of nails and spikes of all sizes, as well as hooks and “eye” spikes (spikes made for driving into tree-trunks or wooden walls, with a long shaft made for then fashioning into a ring suitable for fastening ropes to).
However, there ARE mass makers of such mongery, including surface human foundries in Waterdeep, Amn (several), Tethyr, Sembia, Turmish, Calimshan (many), and the Tashalar (many). In Cormyr, there are five very busy local smiths but no mongery-only foundries.
However, there is one in Arabel, that sells much of its wares either in Suzail, and to the wider Realms through the docks of Suzail (a smaller flow goes the other way, through the Dales to the Moonsea). It’s known as Garthen’s Hammer (after the now-aging smith Askarl Garthen, a human whose family came from Everlund; his own numerous sons and grandchildren work and run it), and (if you have access to the detailed maps of Arabel) is the complex of connected buildings on the north side of the street that runs right through the city, JUST inside The High Horn Gate (south of the row of House of Thond rental warehouses). It was formerly across the street, due south of its current location, but expanded into the premises of a decaying old inn, and Garthen then sold his former location to a wealthy and ambitious Suzailan merchant, one Handren Tharmarklor, who tore down the old smithy and built on its site a mixed-shops complex that he rents out, himself inhabiting the uppermost three floors of “Tharspire,” the tower that rises from the northwesternmost building of Tharmarklor’s Doors (the complex). Garthen more or less permanently rents the southernmost House of Thond warehouse for his inventory of nails, spikes, axe-heads, hooks, eye-spikes, door-plates (both kickplates and lockplates), and strap hinges, from which traders’ wagons run constantly to Suzail and elsewhere (Garthen himself takes no part in marketing his wares, restricting himself to selling from his premises in Arabel).

So saith Ed. New Cormyr lore, if someone’s still maintaining that thread here at the Keep. Ed will, of course, return with more lore, probably tomorrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  00:33:45  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Here's a question I've been wondering about for a while, and hope you can help me, Mr. Greenwood. Braerindra Calauth, Lady of Moonlight had a wonderful spell on her called mithrilskin that I believe is of her own design. I was wondering, would that spell be an Epic spll in 3.5, or a 9th level spell? Also, what would be the benefits of it for the caster? And may I also say, I have always loved that character. I hope that she's still around in 3.5 in Myth Drannor.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  02:29:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed astonished me with a snap-right-back reply to Penknight's post, right after I sent it his way.
So, heeeere's Ed:

Mithrilskin is a 9th level spell, and its effects could even be replicated by certain natural shapechangers who are also spellcasters as an 8th level spell (if they hit upon the right casting process through experimentation, of course). Its possible benefits are many, depending on the creativity of players whose characters employ it (everything from bodysurfing/luging ice chutes to doing smithy work with less protection and more dexterity than is usually possible) and the leeway a DM allows.
And yes, the Lady of Moonlight still survives in the Realms, even post-Spellplague (at least, she does in mine!), and there are some not-yet-revealed reasons for this (as in, that she can be expected to be on the scene, if not destroyed by deliberate attack).

So saith Ed. Who by the tone of his last sentence, is dancing deftly along the edge of NDA chasms in this reply. Hmmm . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bahgtru
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  03:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Bahgtru's Homepage Send Bahgtru a Private Message
Ed and THO,

One more question on Madeiron if that is ok? Is the respect shared between Piergeiron and Madeiron also shared between Madeiron and Khelben, Laeral, Danillo, Mirt, Durnan, and the other prominent members of Waterdeep politcs,comerce, etc?

Thanks.

Edited by - Bahgtru on 02 Oct 2009 03:33:00
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  15:13:50  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. Ed astonished me with a snap-right-back reply to Penknight's post, right after I sent it his way.
So, heeeere's Ed:

Mithrilskin is a 9th level spell, and its effects could even be replicated by certain natural shapechangers who are also spellcasters as an 8th level spell (if they hit upon the right casting process through experimentation, of course). Its possible benefits are many, depending on the creativity of players whose characters employ it (everything from bodysurfing/luging ice chutes to doing smithy work with less protection and more dexterity than is usually possible) and the leeway a DM allows.
And yes, the Lady of Moonlight still survives in the Realms, even post-Spellplague (at least, she does in mine!), and there are some not-yet-revealed reasons for this (as in, that she can be expected to be on the scene, if not destroyed by deliberate attack).

So saith Ed. Who by the tone of his last sentence, is dancing deftly along the edge of NDA chasms in this reply. Hmmm . . .
love to all,
THO

Thank you so much, Lady THO and Mr. Greenwood. I seem to be running a little slow today and need a little clarification on the "basics" as it were if the two of you have the time.

It's apparent that it works better that stoneskin which in 3.5 gives you DR 10/adamantine. Could you please give a few more basics on what the spell itself would do in general, and how long it lasts? Also, would it remain a 9th level spell in 3.5, and how hard would it be for a player to procure it if he were a sorcerer?

I'll ask one more question that I'm interested in. Do you think that the Lady of Moonlight would meet with my NG fey'ri bladesinger and discuss elven history with him? He's one that was freed from Nar Kerymhoarth, and has found that his views were a little tainted and converted his alignment thanks to awesome roleplay by one of my players. I hope you both can forgive me for not understanding, I have a good deal going on today.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  23:26:36  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

It has been discussed often that longevity of life leads to insanity as the years pass, I then wonder if the gods shield their favored ones from this unknowingly. Has Mystra for instance tampered with the minds of her chosen to keep them from succumbing to madness from the horrors of such long existences?

Are they aware that they are having their minds tampered with if answer is yes? Have any ever asked to not have their minds tampered with and have the gods complied? Basically are the gods more concerned with their favored being able to function optimally even if that means altering what their favored think is their free will?

I ask because you told me years back that I guessed correctly that it was Mystra who put El in stasis so he wouldn't sacrifice himself trying to stop fall of Myth Drannor. Did she ever let him know it was her who did that to him?

Edited by - createvmind on 03 Oct 2009 01:56:58
Go to Top of Page

Sage of Stars
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2009 :  03:42:28  Show Profile  Visit Sage of Stars's Homepage Send Sage of Stars a Private Message
Hello. I found another Ed term for cannon fodder, for Zandilar's recent question. It's in my notes from a Realms adventure he ran for charity at Worldcon (the world science fiction convention held a few years back in Toronto), wherein he had the head of a noble house of Waterdeep refer to mercenary warriors he was sending to certain death, just to slow down mercenaries hired by a rival, as "graveyawn."
Presumably derived from the "grave yawns for them," or something of the sort.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2009 :  03:50:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Bahgtru, re. this: "Ed and THO, One more question on Madeiron if that is ok? Is the respect shared between Piergeiron and Madeiron also shared between Madeiron and Khelben, Laeral, Danilo, Mirt, Durnan, and the other prominent members of Waterdeep politics, commerce, etc.? Thanks."
I can reply from experience as a player in Ed's home campaign that all of the specific characters you name respect Madeiron and know his true 'character,' and Mirt, Durnan, and Laeral can be said to be among his fast friends (Khelben keeps aloof from most, and Danilo and Madeiron just haven't had much contact with each other, thus far). As for the "other prominent members" you mention, no; most heads of noble houses, guildmasters, and successful wealthy independent merchants think of Madeiron as a stone-headedly loyal warrior, if they think of him at all. I know of almost a dozen instances where such people underestimating, discounting, or just plain ignoring Madieron has come back to haunt them - - hard.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ruben The Dark One
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2009 :  00:51:26  Show Profile  Visit Ruben The Dark One's Homepage Send Ruben The Dark One a Private Message
Hello Mr. Greenwood,

My name is Damon and I have a question to ask you kin sir. Have you ever considered speaking with Margaret Weis in regards to writing a book featuring Raistlin and Eliminster as a dynamic duo, facing a powerful enemy that only the two of them together, could ever hope to defeat? Fans have longed for such an epic story....

My Email is Nomad2k001@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

Bahgtru
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2009 :  00:55:54  Show Profile  Visit Bahgtru's Homepage Send Bahgtru a Private Message
Thank you THO!
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2009 :  11:53:21  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message
Hey Ed,

I was wondering if there was any light you might be able to shed on the mortal life, and early lichood, of Larloch (especially his time in Netheril and his activities during and after its fall, and how/when he took over the Warlock's Crypt [was it his enclave?]), and anything about the enclave that became the Warlock's Crypt and the liches (especially those demiliches) that inhabit it. As much as we all love the super powerful, puppet master Larloch we have now, what was he like before he could take over half the world before lunch? Even the smallest amount of information would be very welcome, though, as they say, the more the merrier.

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  03:25:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Sandro, I'm sure Ed will have to check with Wizards to see how much he can say about Larloch; how much of a delay that will cause, of course, remains to be seen.
To Ruben The Dark One, Ed replies:

Hi, Damon. Margaret and I are good friends and chat from time to time about all sorts of projects. Wizards of the Coast controls what Elminster and Raistlin do, and especially how much their fantasy settings link up or overlap, and their policies (and those of their predecessor TSR) have changed from time to time. For instance, I started writing "The Wizards Three" articles in DRAGON at editorial request, to link up Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and the Realms - - and soon had to do a delicate tapdance around the representative from Krynn because of editorial uncertainty over Raistlin's fate. Later, company policy shifted to keep the settings separate, rather than linked - - and that's where things stand as of right now, so far as I know. Meaning characters from two settings "shouldn't" meet, making the team-up you're interested in seeing impossible.
However, policy has changed before, and may change again.
Personally, I'd probably have a blast working with Margaret on that sort of a collaborative epic, but . . . we'll just have to see.

So saith Ed. Who is probably thinking it's highly unlikely to ever happen - - just as I do. Not that any of us should stop mulling over possibilities, mind you . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  05:36:04  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
I've been gone awhile. And I'm half a nipple down from when last I visited.

Stupid ferrets.

Are there any scholars in the Realms of the "natural" sciences? If so, where do these scholars tend to congregate? Are there any institutions dedicated to the study, teaching, and research of theoretical sciences?

All the best.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  06:26:44  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
At the wizard boards, Pamela asked the following question, and I think it may result in some interesting realmslore, so I'll repeat it here.

It concerns the 'Meeting of the Three' (Garagos, Sharess, and Jergal) at Godswalk keep in the Barony of Great Oak, described here: not-so-big link

The question is simple: why do the three meet there?

The boards question, should you desire to post there (but I can relate it as well) is at:
big, page-stretching link

Gomez

Mod edit: rendered page-stretching links pretty.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Oct 2009 06:48:44
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  08:42:03  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message
quote:
Sandro, I'm sure Ed will have to check with Wizards to see how much he can say about Larloch; how much of a delay that will cause, of course, remains to be seen.

Mm, of course. Like I said, anything he can say would be very welcome, even if that doesn't amount to a great deal.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  13:07:08  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by gomez

At the wizard boards, Pamela asked the following question, and I think it may result in some interesting realmslore, so I'll repeat it here.

It concerns the 'Meeting of the Three' (Garagos, Sharess, and Jergal) at Godswalk keep in the Barony of Great Oak, described here: not-so-big link

The question is simple: why do the three meet there?

Consider this question seconded? "thirded"?

Not sure what Sharess would have to do with either god - just seems... out of character for her... unless she's taunting them for some reason. (Yes, love her I may, I'll be the first to admit that she's somewhat shallow and flighty, and would be more interested in things of beauty and passion than she would ugly hateful slaughter and cold emotionless death.)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2009 :  23:24:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed tells me that he's NDA-bound not to answer Pamela's question (brought to this thread by gomez, and second/thirded by Zandilar), but says it's all right from me to reveal what my character learned during play - - which admittedly isn't all that much.
At certain times, "when the stars are right" (about once a year, or once every two years, or so; we Knights were never able to learn precisely how often these certain times happened, though there ARE celestial "signs" linked to them) the ruins of the Keep become the place of release of magical energy and memories from elsewhere (I'm guessing from beings who have died on other planes or parallel "Prime Material Planes," but that's just my guess, and various deities, powerful divine servitors, and long-lived individuals (Larloch, Elminster, etc.) come to the ruins to acquire the energy/feed off of it/revel in being in its presence (hence the dancing).
Formerly many creatures came to the ruins at these special times, including nagas, illithids, and other psionically-gifted creatures, but over the years Garagos and other rapacious attendees have slain so many arrivals that very few come to the ruins (or still survive, to come to the ruins), that it's down to those three deities and a few other lurking creatures who hide from the deities (for some reason not known to us, because Ed hasn't so much as hinted why, only those three deities were ever drawn to the ruins). Apparently the energies can be used for healing, recharging magic items, and restoring/fixing magics, by those who know how (and written procedures for doing so are hidden at Candlekeep, somewhere in a library controlled by the Zhentarim, somewhere in a tome possessed by a noble family of Waterdeep, somewhere "ditto" in Halruaa, and somewhere "ditto" in Thay).
So the three deities aren't meeting up out of friendship, or in some sort of pact, or as lovers; they're each there independently, "after the same thing."
Hope that helps!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

uaintjak
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2009 :  04:03:30  Show Profile  Visit uaintjak's Homepage Send uaintjak a Private Message
Maybe those three in particular need to feed off the energies to retain their godhood (or needed it in the past). Jergal and Garagos were fading gods, their portfolios and worshippers superseded by others, and Sharess couldn't have started off with much power, since she was an aspect of Shar that split off and sought independence (as I understand it).

Perhaps the energies allowed them to survive where other dieties might have faded.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2009 :  06:21:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. Ed tells me that he's NDA-bound not to answer Pamela's question (brought to this thread by gomez, and second/thirded by Zandilar), but says it's all right from me to reveal what my character learned during play - - which admittedly isn't all that much.
At certain times, "when the stars are right" (about once a year, or once every two years, or so; we Knights were never able to learn precisely how often these certain times happened, though there ARE celestial "signs" linked to them) the ruins of the Keep become the place of release of magical energy and memories from elsewhere (I'm guessing from beings who have died on other planes or parallel "Prime Material Planes," but that's just my guess, and various deities, powerful divine servitors, and long-lived individuals (Larloch, Elminster, etc.) come to the ruins to acquire the energy/feed off of it/revel in being in its presence (hence the dancing).
Formerly many creatures came to the ruins at these special times, including nagas, illithids, and other psionically-gifted creatures, but over the years Garagos and other rapacious attendees have slain so many arrivals that very few come to the ruins (or still survive, to come to the ruins), that it's down to those three deities and a few other lurking creatures who hide from the deities (for some reason not known to us, because Ed hasn't so much as hinted why, only those three deities were ever drawn to the ruins). Apparently the energies can be used for healing, recharging magic items, and restoring/fixing magics, by those who know how (and written procedures for doing so are hidden at Candlekeep, somewhere in a library controlled by the Zhentarim, somewhere in a tome possessed by a noble family of Waterdeep, somewhere "ditto" in Halruaa, and somewhere "ditto" in Thay).
So the three deities aren't meeting up out of friendship, or in some sort of pact, or as lovers; they're each there independently, "after the same thing."
Hope that helps!
love to all,
THO

Can these deities or anyone else acquire those memories? And is there any possibility that the energies and memories -- either all or some of them -- come from elsewhere in time?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2009 :  07:38:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Formerly many creatures came to the ruins at these special times, including nagas, illithids, and other psionically-gifted creatures...
Ed, can you tell us a little more about what these creatures did in the Keep?
quote:
Apparently the energies can be used for healing, recharging magic items, and restoring/fixing magics, by those who know how (and written procedures for doing so are hidden at Candlekeep, somewhere in a library controlled by the Zhentarim, somewhere in a tome possessed by a noble family of Waterdeep, somewhere "ditto" in Halruaa, and somewhere "ditto" in Thay).
Also, what can you tell us about these "written procedures?"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2009 :  13:18:57  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

How intriguing.

*sigh* Wish you (both) could tell us more!

ETA:
quote:
Originally posted by uaintjak

Maybe those three in particular need to feed off the energies to retain their godhood (or needed it in the past). Jergal and Garagos were fading gods, their portfolios and worshippers superseded by others, and Sharess couldn't have started off with much power, since she was an aspect of Shar that split off and sought independence (as I understand it).

Perhaps the energies allowed them to survive where other dieties might have faded.

Quick Cliff Notes version of Sharess's origin:

• Bast came into the Realms. Goddess of cats and pleasure, sometime lover of the wargod Anhur, had a particular hatred of Set.

• Bast absorbed the beast cult deity Felidae, a very minor deity of cats.

• Bast came across the captive Zandilar the Dancer, a Yuirwood deity of love, more physical than romantic though, who had taken it upon herself to distract Vhaeraun while the rest of her pantheon fought the other drow gods. Vhaeraun had seen through her rouse and was in the process of absorbing her, but with Bast's help, Zandilar was able to break free of Vhaeraun. Unfortunately, Zandilar the Dancer was fataly injured by the encounter, and voluntarily agreed to merge with Bast.

• Sometime after that, Bast/Zandilar was a fading deity who was coming under the influence of Shar, her pleasures becoming increasingly dark. I think it was about this time that she became known as Sharess. Shar's faithful promoted her as the "harbinger of the loss", and spread the lie that Sharess was merely an aspect of Shar.

• During the Time of Troubles, Sharess could be found in Calimport, inhabiting the body of the Pasha's (think that was his title) favorite concubine, having a rather decadent time. Shar turned up to kill and absorb Sharess once and for all, but Sune came along, conveniently with a chalice of water from the Evergold, which she then proceeded to douse Sharess in, saving Sharess from Shar, and banishing the darkness that had engulfed her, restoring her radiant beauty (Sharess's beauty is only outmatched by Sune herself).

Yes, that was the cliff notes version.

Which begs a question, Ed... Where did Sune get access to the Evergold if she was trapped in Avatar form on the Prime? Is there a "branch" or "tributary" or even "spring" of that river on the Prime?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 06 Oct 2009 14:03:41
Go to Top of Page

Morioculus
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2009 :  15:18:07  Show Profile Send Morioculus a Private Message
Hi Mr. Greenwood!
I've had a couple questions about The Temptation of Elmister that I've been trying to find out...but with no luck.
Ok, first off I've been trying to find out which region Karsus' treasure trove is located. I've read your book DOZENS of times(beginning to end) and all I've gotten is that it MIGHT be in the Gulthmere Forest. I've also been told it's in one of the forests in the Great Dales in Impiltur. My question is: where exactly is it?
My second question is, can I have a bit of background info on Saeraede Lyonora? So far I have a theory that she's Netherese and that(drawing from what I read about the Netherese mage "Ander" in The Making of a Mage) she was able to pass beyond death and become a wraithlike being who feeds off life-forces.
Thanks Mr. Greenwood!

Confutatis maledictus, flammis acribus addictus.
Etiam sanato vulnere cicatrix manet.
Go to Top of Page

WarlockII
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2009 :  19:16:43  Show Profile  Visit WarlockII's Homepage Send WarlockII a Private Message
What does the spellplague do to Realmspace and the other continents of toril, is there a complete post spellplague map of toril yet?

Or in other words is there a somewhat complete Geographic text of what effects the spellplague had?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000