Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2009 :  16:56:06  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message
Hello dear scribes.

I’m currently reading Sword of dragonfire, and I’ve just finished what I now consider to be the best chapter I’ve ever read: Ch 16. The high price of entertainment. I don’t want to spoil it to anyone, but in it there is an encounter involving a few of the Realm’s greatest names, including Elminster and Manshoon.

My question is this: At some point, Elminster threaten Manshoon to reveal to Fzoul the wording of the pact with the beholders which involves Manshoon mating with… someone (or something?). Manshoon interrupted Elminster before he could finish, so we are left in the dark as to what this is about. I wondered if Ed could enlighten us on this.

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2009 :  19:25:39  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message
Kilvan,
It's beholders. It seems that he was actually mating with beholders. As to the why, I doubt we'll ever know. But I did ask about this in
another forum.

Edited by - althen artren on 23 Sep 2009 19:26:36
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2009 :  19:33:40  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Kilvan,
It's beholders. It seems that he was actually mating with beholders. As to the why, I doubt we'll ever know. But I did ask about this in
another forum.

Is it strange that I'm almost more interested in the how than in the why? Seriously though, I hope Ed can provide some more info on the reasons for this... deal.
Go to Top of Page

Marek
Seeker

Italy
52 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2009 :  21:56:51  Show Profile  Visit Marek's Homepage Send Marek a Private Message
Hey there,
another question from my community:

-What's the exact process through which Mystril reaches godhood becoming Mystra?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  04:05:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I've just had an e-mail from Ed, back home from a late meeting inspecting a library renovation (he's chair of his local library board, and a heritage library is being "fixed"), in response to the last two queries in this thread.
Heeeere's Ed!

Marek, I'm afraid mortals (i.e. all characters in the Realms) don't know how Mystril reached godhood, or precisely how any of those who were Mystra became Mystra. Even Midnight, the "last" Mystra, isn't quite sure HOW she became Mystra, because her mind was overwhelmed by the process.
I and some former TSR designers know - - or at least, we know what was agreed-upon, back in the late 1980s, behind the scenes; current WotC designers may well have different views - - re. this, but NDAs prevent any of us from telling you. Such is one of the hurdles of playing in a shared world.

Kilvan, althen artren is indeed correct on what Manshoon was doing. As to "how" AND "why" - - I'm sorry, those are both ALSO under NDA right now. All I can say is you certainly should eventually discover something of the "why," in something obviously not yet published. I'm afraid I can't yet be more specific. Sorry (and I really am; I KNOW the ache of wanting to know, and am feeling the ache of wanting to spill the beans, right now - - but I can't).

So saith Ed. I, too, know (from long-ago events in the home Realms campaign, not from familiarity with whatever not-yet-published lore Ed is speaking of, above). However, I've signed my share of NDAs, and also know how horrible it is when someone ruins a surprise, so . . . I'm afraid you'll just have to wait on this one.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2009 :  06:48:36  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Mating with Beholders? I'd say magic, probably some kind of divine driven polymorph (since aparently arcane magic isn't subtle enough to reproduce working genitals (pun not intended))... But that's just a guess.

I do actually have a question for Ed. The situation is this - three men are caught red handed forcing a Dryad (they had a way of avoiding her usual charms, perhaps rings of mind shielding - and had something to use against her to coerce her out of her tree and into cooperation) in the King's Forest (in Cormyr) to give up her "sap" - by way of cutting her and harvesting her blood without killing her, they didn't want their source to dry up, so to speak. Said blood was to be then sold to a merchant specializing in rare/unusual spell components (the three men had already done this a few times).

What penalties could these men face for their crimes? What penalty could the merchant face (the PC is going after him as well)? Is what they were doing a crime at all? (I'd be surprised if it wasn't!) Also, what status in Cormyr would the Dryad have? Would she be considered a citizen at all?

Anyway, I'm sure there are more questions I could be asking about the situation - but I shouldn't be greedy.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  04:02:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Zan! Ed had to go for his annual heart stress echo, EKG, and the works today, and has a full day of library work tomorrow and then a convention on the weekend, so his chances to make Realmslore replies look a lit slim for the next few days.
However, I can START on a reply for you by saying it IS a crime, and the crime is something like (I probably have the formal title of it wrong, here) "stealing from the Crown."
NOT in the sense that the dryad or her tree belong to the King (though trees that aren't sentient and don't have dryads but are in a royal forest ARE Crown property), but in the sense that at the heart of Cormyrean law is the concept that the Crown IS the land and the bounty of the land, including living things of the land and bound to the land, so rare flowers and the stags of the King's Forest and dryads are all "of the Crown." So they're stealing from the Crown.
Speculating - - and I stress this is my speculation, not Ed giving us a definitive reply - - on the basis of having Ed as my DM play the parts of many Cormyrean lawkeepers, courtiers, and Obarskyrs over the years, I'd say that they would face a light sentence (fines and a prohibition on ever doing it again, or else THIS) if the dryad freely consented to this, or initiated the transactions and the wounding (wanting to sell her sap, for some strange reason). Otherwise, oh yes, they're in trouble.
Which is where I stop pontificating and hand it to Ed.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bahgtru
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  04:44:55  Show Profile  Visit Bahgtru's Homepage Send Bahgtru a Private Message
To Ed or THO,

I had some questions regarding Madeiron Sunderstone and was wondering if you could indulge. Was he native to Waterdeep? How did he come to be Piergeron's Champion? Was he a well known Paladin or adventurer before his role as champion, if so what were some of the things that led to his notoriety. Was his size just a random genetic anomaly or was their some magical or supernatural explanation? His description lists him as not especially bright, how does that contrast with the wisdom inherent in Paladins?

Thanks so much in advance for my requests.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  06:46:44  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bahgtru

To Ed or THO,

I'm no Ed*, but...

*Though I do try. Current status of belly, round and ample. Beard check, flowing. Ability to act as effortless fountain of lore... unfortunately lacking.

quote:

I had some questions regarding Madeiron Sunderstone and was wondering if you could indulge. Was he native to Waterdeep?

He is not. He was born in Hartsvale, a small kingdom north of the Silver Marches.

quote:

How did he come to be Piergeron's Champion?

During his twenty year sojourn in Waterdeep, Madeiron Sunderstone worked his way up the ranks of the City Guard to become the Champion.

quote:

Was he a well known Paladin or adventurer before his role as champion, if so what were some of the things that led to his notoriety.

He was a notorious adventurer around the Inner Sea lands. I have no information about the specifics of his adventuring career, though.

quote:

Was his size just a random genetic anomaly or was their some magical or supernatural explanation?

He is descended from the giants of ancient Ostoria through the royal family of Hartsvale (of which he is a distant cousin).

quote:

His description lists him as not especially bright, how does that contrast with the wisdom inherent in Paladins?

That depends on the individual GM, but I've always interpreted as meaning that he is not analytical or intellectual, but instead relies on a gut instinct (which he perceives as guidance from his god) when he has to make a decision.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas

Edited by - Icelander on 25 Sep 2009 07:23:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  07:19:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:

His description lists him as not especially bright, how does that contrast with the wisdom inherent in Paladins?

That depends on the individual GM, but I've always interpreted as meaning that he is not analytical or intellectual, but indeed relies on a gut instinct (which he perceives as guidance from his god) when he has to make a decision.

It seems to me that the mistake may be conflating the concepts behind Wisdom and Intelligence. The way I look at it, Intelligence is two things: how quickly you process information, and how much information you can store. Wisdom, on the other hand, is a combination of common sense, being able to think ahead and examine consequences, and and being capable of learning from experiences.

So an individual might not be capable of learning all that much or thinking on his feet all that well, but he uses what he does have to think thru everything and to avoid potential missteps.

At least, that's my opinion on it.

I once had a coworker explain to me that since he was older than me, he was smarter. His logic was that being older meant he had more experiences, having more experiences meant he had learned from them and was therefore wiser, and that being wiser was the same as being smarter. I actually opened my mouth to argue with him before I realized that if he truly believed that, it was all the necessary proof that he was wrong!

And he did prove to everyone but himself that he was incapable of learning from experience.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  08:00:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

That depends on the individual GM, but I've always interpreted as meaning that he is not analytical or intellectual, but instead relies on a gut instinct (which he perceives as guidance from his god) when he has to make a decision.

I think Ed [or was it Eric?] has covered this, briefly, before, in terms of what a character can know with respect to his/her intelligence. I'll search through the entire archives for both Ed and Eric.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bahgtru
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  17:51:57  Show Profile  Visit Bahgtru's Homepage Send Bahgtru a Private Message
quote:

quote:

To Ed or THO,

I'm no Ed*, but...

*Though I do try. Current status of belly, round and ample. Beard check, flowing. Ability to act as effortless fountain of lore... unfortunately lacking.

quote:

I had some questions regarding Madeiron Sunderstone and was wondering if you could indulge. Was he native to Waterdeep?

He is not. He was born in Hartsvale, a small kingdom north of the Silver Marches.

quote:

How did he come to be Piergeron's Champion?

During his twenty year sojourn in Waterdeep, Madeiron Sunderstone worked his way up the ranks of the City Guard to become the Champion.

quote:

Was he a well known Paladin or adventurer before his role as champion, if so what were some of the things that led to his notoriety.

He was a notorious adventurer around the Inner Sea lands. I have no information about the specifics of his adventuring career, though.

quote:

Was his size just a random genetic anomaly or was their some magical or supernatural explanation?

He is descended from the giants of ancient Ostoria through the royal family of Hartsvale (of which he is a distant cousin).

quote:

Thanks for the replies.

I think the Hartsvale and Inner Sea adventurer was something new with Waterdeep 3.5 and not Ed's original work. I could be wrong. I was kind of hoping to get some of the original background and motivations as he was originally published back in the first Waterdeep and the North accessory. Ed had mentioned in a reply to a post I made a couple years ago, that he was a character that had been neglected, that he would like to write about, time permitting at some point and others had shown interest as well. I was wondering if there was any detail that he could provide here.

Thanks.

Edited by - Bahgtru on 25 Sep 2009 17:53:04
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2009 :  23:56:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Okay, I think we've deviated enough. Let's wait to hear back from Ed.

Go to Top of Page

Marek
Seeker

Italy
52 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  00:03:05  Show Profile  Visit Marek's Homepage Send Marek a Private Message
Thanks a lot for the answer Ed and THO.
Is it possible to talk bad about WotC in here? just kidding but there's a reason why we're sticking to the old editions when it comes to interesting materials.
It's really sad what they did to your world:(
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  01:07:43  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, Zan! Ed had to go for his annual heart stress echo, EKG, and the works today, and has a full day of library work tomorrow and then a convention on the weekend, so his chances to make Realmslore replies look a lit slim for the next few days.

I do hope everything went all right with the tests! Medical tests are not fun (says she who had yet another battery of blood tests last week).

quote:
However, I can START on a reply for you by saying it IS a crime, and the crime is something like (I probably have the formal title of it wrong, here) "stealing from the Crown."
<snip!>

Pretty much what I thought (except for the stealing from the Crown bit! That is interesting, something I'll have to bear in mind next time I run something in the Realms (my campaign has moved back to the homebrewed world they started in, and are not likely to go back to the Realms via player "vote" - though not because they didn't like the Realms.))

Anyway, I look forward to anything Ed can add to your reply, Lady Hooded One. Especially the status the Dryad would hold within Cormyr... Since she's clearly not an immigrant, and in some ways, is a native to the land - more native than the human inhabitants, one could further argue.

*hugs to you and to Ed* (Wish there was a huggy smily!)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2009 :  16:11:55  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message
Dear Ed, can you enlighten us all on what were the names of the cities in old Illefarn apart from the capital where WD now stands were there any others???????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2009 :  02:08:12  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed,
I just wanted to thank you for the long, friendly chat at Phantasm. You literally handed me a whole refresh and deepening of my campaign, enough intrigue and subplot ideas spun off my existing play history to keep us going for another five or six years, at least. When my players dang near ordered me to ask you that little list of questions, they should have known better. Heh, soon they WILL know better. Soon being, of course, too late.
Brilliant, brilliant ideas, Ed, and they dovetail so well with what I've already done. It all FITS, it feels right.
Thank you, thank you, THANK you.
And to all gamers within reach of Peterborough, Ontario, Phantasm is a small, relaxed, cozy little con where you can just hang out for hours with Ed, and get autographs, talk to him, no lineups, nothing. And for me, he just rejiggered my entire campaign in a golden half-hour or so.
Ed, you (as they say) rock!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2009 :  00:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Arrrgh. I wanted to get to Phantasm this year, I really did. (Sometimes, real life obligations suck.) So I have a question for THO this time: if you were starting up a new Realms campaign, where (and when) would you set it, and with what startup situation for the PCs, and why?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2009 :  18:25:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Depends on the players. If inexperienced, I'd start them as restless teenagers in a Sword Coast North hamlet near, say, Everlund or Neverwinter, and let them discover the "civilized" Realms at their own pace, after some necessary monster-hunting out in the wilderlands just to get anywhere.
If experienced (and somewhat-Realms-knowledgeable), I'd start them in Highmoon or Daerlun if I wanted a Sea of Fallen Stars campaign, in upland Tethyr or the Velen Peninsula if I wanted a Sword Coast campaign, or in South Ward, in Waterdeep, of poor working-class parentage. (In all cases, I'm talking pre-Spellplague. If I was thinking post-Spellplague, I'd start in Returned Abeir and let them hit mainland Faerun when they felt ready, or keep to that sandbox if they preferred.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2009 :  18:43:39  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,
A Cormyr lore question: if a merchant ship owned by a noble family docks in Suzail, and the crew has exciting news, does it get spread at the docks, or would it be customary that it be reported to the family (or senior servants/trade agents employed by the family) first?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  00:40:59  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

A question just popped into my head... not sure if it's been asked before, but...

What is the Realmsian term for Cannon Fodder?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  02:14:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Zandilar. It has been asked before, and I can't remember which of the several terms Ed answered with then, but the two I noted during play, over the years, were the polite terms used in Amn and Waterdeep ("brawn") and in Cormyr and the Dales, for warriors only, though it meant militia, adventurers, and uniformed soldiers ("boots").
One of the less polite terms (common in Sembia, Amn, Tethyr, and the Heartlands caravan routes) is "emptyheads."
Sage? Wooly? Ed DID mention another term somewhere here at the Keep in the past, didn't he? Or am I growing forgetful as I sink into my still-curvaceous dotage?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  02:25:51  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Ahem-ahurm, Lady Hooded One? Feel free to sink in my direction, anytime . . .
[cough]
Oh, yes, a Realmslore question; I DO have one. Reeeely.
To whit:
Is there an official channel (who and how, I guess I'm asking) for asking the book publishing people at Wizards of the Coast for specific topics or tales to be told? (e.g. get Ed to tell us more about Princess Alusair as the Steel Regent, or Erik Scott de Bie to tell us about Twilight between her fiction appearances so far, or . . . whatever)
I'd love to write a formal, polite letter suggesting some possible topics of interest, knowing that it's just one reader's want list and may never cause any results - but then, maybe it COULD, yes?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  03:17:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Sage? Wooly? Ed DID mention another term somewhere here at the Keep in the past, didn't he? Or am I growing forgetful as I sink into my still-curvaceous dotage?
love,
THO
Well, I've just made a quick scan of my Ed-lore archives, and I found very little in terms of "another term" for cannon fodder. Mayhap 'twas something Ed posted on the REALMS-L?

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  04:13:05  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Baleful Avatar

Hi Ed and THO,
A Cormyr lore question: if a merchant ship owned by a noble family docks in Suzail, and the crew has exciting news, does it get spread at the docks, or would it be customary that it be reported to the family (or senior servants/trade agents employed by the family) first?
Thanks!

In all lands, at all times, and in all worlds, I imagine the answer for this to be somewhat similar.

An official emissary is sent with the message. The sailors unofficially spread it to anyone who comes aboard. And after you allow them liberty of the port, they'll spread it like a badger digging through dung.

If the family and/or anyone aboard the ship has official status of the sort that can justify it (Heralds, Highknights, perhaps military and naval officers) or the news is sufficiently important, the emissary to the family will take a ship's gig for immediate embarkment, before even the ship is cleared through whatever inspections are currently required. In that case, the family and whomever else the Crown would need informed would indeed be the first to know*.

*Well, perhaps after the harbour clerk, pilot and Purple Dragon officer who authorised the gig to land before the ship was cleared.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  15:12:22  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Hi, Zandilar. It has been asked before, and I can't remember which of the several terms Ed answered with then, but the two I noted during play, over the years, were the polite terms used in Amn and Waterdeep ("brawn") and in Cormyr and the Dales, for warriors only, though it meant militia, adventurers, and uniformed soldiers ("boots").
One of the less polite terms (common in Sembia, Amn, Tethyr, and the Heartlands caravan routes) is "emptyheads."
love,
THO

And in Zhentil Keep it's "orcs," "apprentices," and "acolytes" respectively, right?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  18:55:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring new Realmslore from the ever-busy Ed of the Greenwood, this one in response to Zandilar’s query: “The situation is this - three men are caught red handed forcing a Dryad (they had a way of avoiding her usual charms, perhaps rings of mind shielding - and had something to use against her to coerce her out of her tree and into cooperation) in the King's Forest (in Cormyr) to give up her "sap" - by way of cutting her and harvesting her blood without killing her, they didn't want their source to dry up, so to speak. Said blood was to be then sold to a merchant specializing in rare/unusual spell components (the three men had already done this a few times).
What penalties could these men face for their crimes? What penalty could the merchant face (the PC is going after him as well)? Is what they were doing a crime at all? (I'd be surprised if it wasn't!) Also, what status in Cormyr would the Dryad have? Would she be considered a citizen at all?”
(I haven’t repeated my half-reply and Zandilar’s subsequent response to that.) Ed replies:

Hi, and hugs right back to you! I’m fine; this is my annual checkup (but has slowed down to every-two-years), and the doctor said he wanted to swap hearts with me, so I guess that part of my anatomy is dandy.
THO is quite right in saying that things would get complicated if the dryad had consented or initiated this arrangement (so much so, that it would really be a case-by-case judgement, more than applying the relevant laws in any set manner), but because they’ve coerced her, they would be fined and banned from entering any royal forest for ten summers, and also prohibited from selling any dryad larlyn (that’s the local term for dryad or treant blood or “sap”) anywhere in Cormyr, forever (upon pain of four summers of imprisonment followed by forty summers of exile). The charges would be “theft from the heart of Cormyr, and unlawful sale of the property of the Crown.”
The second charge would apply even if the dryad had consented (but would probably, in those circumstances, earn them only a small fine and the lifelong prohibition on selling larlyn), but the first charge speaks to the status of the dryad (and also applies to treants, unicorns, and other native life of Cormyr considered to be royal property or under royal protection [so, NOT the dragons or elves dwelling in the realm, but royal stags, flowers, protected woods, rare birds, and so on that have been proclaimed as “under the royal hand,” a term meaning only members of the ruling family, or regents, can harvest them or direct others to harvest them or make use of them [including gifting them freely]). In short, such life is “of the heart of Cormyr” and can demand royal protection, but is not considered to have the responsibilities and obligations of a full citizen. (So a dryad has the RIGHTS of a citizen, but not the responsibilities.) A severely handicapped or insane royal ward, incapable of living without care, would have the same “heart” status in recognition of their inability to undertake and carry out the responsibilities of a citizen.

So saith Ed. Who is hard at work on more Realmslore for us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  19:07:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thanks for looking, Sage. It may well have been; I'll ask Ed.
Who also sent me this, for Bahgtru:

The Hartsvale origins were added to Madeiron just a few years back, and not by me, but that lore is just fine with me. Madeiron was always from somewhere far from Waterdeep, had giant blood in his ancestry, and was an adventurer of accomplishments ("always" meaning in my earliest lore). He was somewhat NDA back when you asked because certain staffers were toying with notions of writing about him (as a supporting character in fiction primarily concerned with other characters). They may still do so, wherefore the NDAs remain and so does my lack of lore about him posted here at Candlekeep.
However, the information Icelander reminded us of is just fine, and accepted by me at the time as "canon" without any cavils or misgivings.
Exactly how Madeiron became Piergeiron's Champion is part of that NDA, but the two men trust, respect, and like each other and have faced hostile foes together.
I'd also say that Wooly has put it pretty well: Madeiron is a street-smart veteran adventurer and wise in the ways of human nature and Realms lore, and reacts very swiftly in battle, but he prefers to mull over new concepts, notions, and views for quite some time before making decisions, fully grasping them, and so on; he won't be the man to think up any sly new ways of making money or solutions to a thorny problem. He's more the stolid, calm, trusting sort who will carry a solution out that's been proposed by someone he trusts.
I caution all scribes not to over-emphasize this; Madeiron is not a slow-speaking, dim as a a post, easily tricked man-mountain. He's alert, can act quickly, habitually anticipates trouble or "surprise" attacks, and is aware he's not the sharpest-witted person around, and that he prefers to take his time making decisions (if faced with a situation where there's little or no time to decide something, he'll ask someone else to decide and support them fully, not stand hemming and hawing or stubbornly disagreeing with anyone).

So saith Ed. Creator of Madeiron, Piergeiron - - and Waterdeep, too!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Longtime Lurker
Seeker

51 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  19:26:35  Show Profile  Visit Longtime Lurker's Homepage Send Longtime Lurker a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I've been examining the 4e Realms, and like some of the new features, but dislike others (e.g. large genasi- and dragonborn-ruled areas and presence). My question is this: is the Spellplague done and finished? Or could there be new eruptions of blue fire, localized aftershocks if you will, that could conveniently wipe out what I don't personally like, and leave ruins to adventure in behind?
Some writers seem to suggest the Spellplague is still unfolding, and others write as if it happened in a year or so, long ago, and is done and only dimly remembered.
Of COURSE I can do whatever I want in my own campaign, and if the Realms is done as a published game world except for RPGA adventure tidbits, novels, and online articles, the chances of any of my changes being "overwritten" are small . . . but I'm interested in your take, both of you, on this. Doth it feel right and sit well, or not?
So: ?
Go to Top of Page

Bahgtru
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  20:22:00  Show Profile  Visit Bahgtru's Homepage Send Bahgtru a Private Message
quote:

Thanks for looking, Sage. It may well have been; I'll ask Ed.
Who also sent me this, for Bahgtru:

The Hartsvale origins were added to Madeiron just a few years back, and not by me, but that lore is just fine with me. Madeiron was always from somewhere far from Waterdeep, had giant blood in his ancestry, and was an adventurer of accomplishments ("always" meaning in my earliest lore). He was somewhat NDA back when you asked because certain staffers were toying with notions of writing about him (as a supporting character in fiction primarily concerned with other characters). They may still do so, wherefore the NDAs remain and so does my lack of lore about him posted here at Candlekeep.
However, the information Icelander reminded us of is just fine, and accepted by me at the time as "canon" without any cavils or misgivings.
Exactly how Madeiron became Piergeiron's Champion is part of that NDA, but the two men trust, respect, and like each other and have faced hostile foes together.
I'd also say that Wooly has put it pretty well: Madeiron is a street-smart veteran adventurer and wise in the ways of human nature and Realms lore, and reacts very swiftly in battle, but he prefers to mull over new concepts, notions, and views for quite some time before making decisions, fully grasping them, and so on; he won't be the man to think up any sly new ways of making money or solutions to a thorny problem. He's more the stolid, calm, trusting sort who will carry a solution out that's been proposed by someone he trusts.
I caution all scribes not to over-emphasize this; Madeiron is not a slow-speaking, dim as a a post, easily tricked man-mountain. He's alert, can act quickly, habitually anticipates trouble or "surprise" attacks, and is aware he's not the sharpest-witted person around, and that he prefers to take his time making decisions (if faced with a situation where there's little or no time to decide something, he'll ask someone else to decide and support them fully, not stand hemming and hawing or stubbornly disagreeing with anyone).

So saith Ed. Creator of Madeiron, Piergeiron - - and Waterdeep, too!
love to all,
THO

To THO and ED,

Thanks so much for the lore on Madeiron and thanks for sharing the creative genius that led to the Realms, Waterdeep and its denizens and the hours and hours of gaming and reading so many of us have enjoyed.

I've always loved the character of Piergeiron as he always reminded me of King Arthur and of course his loyal champion Madeiron. I hope we get the opportunity to see them in a story at some point.

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000