Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  17:26:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Tidbit time again, courtesy of Ed!
Back on page 80 of this thread, The Sage asked this (as a followup to a query from Markustay about Ed telling us about any Chosen who might reside outside Faerûn): “Ed, I'd also like to hear more about any Chosen of Mystra who might reside [or, maybe, once did reside] beyond Toril itself, perhaps somewhere else out among the reaches of Realmspace?”
Ed replies:

Some of what I’d like to say is under several NDAs, but I can mention one such Chosen: Narandor the Metal Mage. An embittered, cynical hermit (think Eeyore in the Pooh tales, for disposition), this archwizard of early Halruaa ended up on the wrong end of a spell-duel and got mangled horribly, in magics that kept him alive to feel the pain as a foe’s sequence of minor acid-burst and transforming spells wracked him (envisage, if you will, spells that shield the target from system shock and unconsciousness, and shapeshift them constantly to heal and reform around budding cysts in the interior of which flesh-searing acid is developed; the cysts grow and then burst, showering the surrounding flesh of the victim with agonizing “melting” effects; the cysts have an interior coating that resists and contains the acid until the cyst ruptures).
Debilitated but unable to die, Narandor writhed in helpless pain until some of his former apprentices found him. They tried to quell the spells riding him, but managed only to isolate them in several of his limbs—which they then blasted into oblivion. Narandor lost consciousness, and they debated as to what to do for him; slay him out of mercy, transform him utterly, transfer his sentience into a beast-body, or - - their eventual choice - - replace his missing limbs with flowmetal, something many Halruaans had been working on. This is in effect “living” metal that bonds with an organic body and slowly poisons it, but in the meantime can function as replacement limbs, digits, etc. Flowmetal’s poisoning has never been overcome, and its use was later abandoned as spells were developed that could “infect” it swiftly to cause death of someone bonded to it in a handful of breaths, but Narandor received a right arm and shoulder, a right leg, and a left knee, all of replacement flowmetal - - which he has to this day. He counteracted the poisoning by devising a spell that shifts the chemical balance of his remaining organic body constantly, so that it flows in shape, weeps a pus of ceaseless discharges, and can grow functional fingers, breasts, crude press-lungs, false eyes, etc. as he wills.
Narandor was already a master of skyship design, and he sailed one of his ships high into the sky and tethered it to a magically-levitated chunk of rock (all that remained of a blasted-to-dust “skycastle” fortress, that had once belonged to a Netherese archwizard until several rivals decided to destroy him whilst he was in residence).
Then Narandor used his spells to cover the rock with edible mosses, lichens, and mushrooms, and settled down in isolation to devise new spells. His experiments were long and studded with more failures than successes, but he eventually achieved two things: the ability to ensnare moisture and shield his home from the full heat of the sun, so as to keep that dampness and preserve his plants from baking on the rock - - and the ability to move his home through the skies with fair precision. Whereupon, of course, he set about traveling around collecting other aerial fragments, and “growing” his home into his own private little jungle, plus bits and pieces of several ruined skyships and aerial abodes.
Mystra imbued him with some of her silver fire (with his enthusiastic agreement) not to have him be a meddling “remake the world” Chosen, but to store some of herself where others were unlikely to come into contact with it. For his part, Narandor gained a permanent freedom from the flowmetal poisoning effect (the silver fire offsets it), Mystra’s love, gratitude, and presence whenever he grows lonely and calls for it, and philosophical debates from time to time with Mystra or various of her servitors, who now act as Narandor’s agents in Faerûn, to bring him back items he desires (mainly substances for spell experimentations).
Narandor is now fairly contented, though he retains his doleful manner, and lives his life making various exotic wines, researching spells, and using his magics to observe events on Faerûn far below.
This is all pre-Spellplague, of course; what befalls him when the Weave fails is up to you; I’d suspect his aerial home would be sent on a wild ride, and eventually crash to earth - - but I’d not count Narandor out as conveniently dying in the crash. I’d suspect he’d survive the Spellplague, as a disfigured, part-metal wandering wizard who keeps to himself and stays hidden as much as possible. Extremely bad news for any arrogant young warlock or wizard who encounters and misjudges him, of course. ;}

So saith Ed. Creator of the Realms, and spinner of masterful little tidbits of additional Realmslore (like this one) whenever we can nudge him into doing so.
And I (she purred) am a nudger from way back . . .

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  18:46:15  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message
Horrible and fascinating! Thanks Ed and THO

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  18:55:10  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
are there plans for a falconfar campaign setting book???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  20:41:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
sfdragon, I sent your query off to Ed, and he sent back:

There are vague, nebulous, no-publisher-attached plans for a setting book, yes. However, don't expect to see one soon. The final novel in the trilogy, also called FALCONFAR, has been submitted to the publisher, accepted, and is expected to appear in February 2010.
I say "expected" because there's a complicating factor (which is also why setting book plans remain nebulous): Black Library put the Solaris imprint up for sale, and any new owner may well have different plans (and interpretations of current books and series) than Solaris has right now.
However, yes, I would very much like to do a Falconfar setting book. Even a boardgame. :}

So saith Ed. Builder of worlds upon worlds...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  21:28:35  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
I bring this tidbit, from Ed of the Greenwood:

Hi, Jakk. Regarding CASTLEMOURN, my honest answer is: right now, I don't know about its future. I have to chat with Jamie Chambers and Margaret Weis and see what their take on things is/are; I still have (eventual, future) plans for novels set in Castlemourn, with or without MWP involvement. I'd like to see Brian Gute and Jenn Brozek (plus three other writers who must remain secret for now, two because I haven't fully discussed this with them yet, and the other because of the uncertainty and his situation) get a chance to spread their wings and do Castlemourn fiction, probably a line of novels. However, I do want you to know that as far as I'm concerned, Castlemourn is NOT dead, and I retain rights to the setting.
And then there's Embersea . . .<snip>

Yes... and let's not forget Falconfar, as mentioned in Ed's reply to sfdragon... many very good things... thank you, Ed and THO.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  21:29:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Castlemourn Novels sound great. I would read them.

Narandor the Metal Mage: pretty interesting. I see him Floating in the Astral Sea after the Spellplague.

Falconfar Setting would be total win. I still need to order Archwizard.

Thanks THO and of course Ed.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  00:26:25  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Debilitated but unable to die, Narandor writhed in helpless pain until some of his former apprentices found him. They tried to quell the spells riding him, but managed only to isolate them in several of his limbs—which they then blasted into oblivion. Narandor lost consciousness, and they debated as to what to do for him; slay him out of mercy, transform him utterly, transfer his sentience into a beast-body, or - - their eventual choice - - replace his missing limbs with flowmetal, something many Halruaans had been working on. <snip explanation of flow metal>

I just love how his apprentices come up with several things they could do, then do the worst possible one they could - one that is (to the best of their knowledge at the time) going to result in a long, drawn out, and painful death. (Which is on top of what was already done to the poor man, really, did they want to break him completely?)

What happened to getting him to a cleric stat?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  01:38:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed, you've my eternal thanks. And you as well, my lovely Lady.

So this is intriguing stuff. I'll definitely be dropping this into my campaign when I've an opportunity. As my players can always expect some tantalising piece of Realmspace-lore to find its way into whatever type of campaign they're running through.

One additional question:- Could you possibly tell me more about Narandor's past skyship designs?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  02:33:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Zandilar, you speak with the calm, reasoned voice of truth.
So at odds with early Halruaa, with all of its Netherese treachery, insanity, paranoia, backbiting, and wild reasoning.
I often wish a little more of Ed's Halruaa had been published, before we got the FR16 (it was 16, wasn't it? I'm away from my lore-library right now) and then Elaine's versions, both of which deal with the later, more tradition-bound and "ordered society" evolution of the land.
Sage, your query has been e-hurled in Ed's direction, to see what he'll cough up.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  06:44:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Heh. Zandilar, you speak with the calm, reasoned voice of truth.
So at odds with early Halruaa, with all of its Netherese treachery, insanity, paranoia, backbiting, and wild reasoning.
I often wish a little more of Ed's Halruaa had been published, before we got the FR16 (it was 16, wasn't it? I'm away from my lore-library right now) and then Elaine's versions, both of which deal with the later, more tradition-bound and "ordered society" evolution of the land.
Sage, your query has been e-hurled in Ed's direction, to see what he'll cough up.
love to all,
THO

Yup, FR16 -- the first of two FR tomes to bear the name Shining South.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  08:04:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I've got a side-query related to that question as well. But since it'll bring up some details of my own campaign [which I can't really post here], I'll e-hurl your way.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  12:05:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Isn't one of them called the Shining South, though?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  14:29:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Yes. FR16 is titled The Shining South. The 3e tome is simply Shining South.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  15:31:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Quite true, but it's a pretty minor difference in titles. I wish they'd given the 3E tome a name that wasn't practically identical, because that kind of thing only leads to confusion.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  16:01:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Quite true, but it's a pretty minor difference in titles. I wish they'd given the 3E tome a name that wasn't practically identical, because that kind of thing only leads to confusion.

Hmmm. I seem to recall either Thomas Reid or Rich Baker [over at Wizards] suggesting that alternate names for the 3e tome were discussed at some point.

I'll have to check my archives.

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Aug 2009 16:03:12
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  17:09:03  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

How much did the south, as shown in that product, match with Ed's original ideas? I would guess that most of it was the creation of Tom Prusa, but did it still manage to portray the right "feel" of the region as originally intended?
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2009 :  21:33:29  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

For Ed, THO you can answer if you hav any info as well. I want to know if Ed used diseases or poisons that affected creatures thought to be immune to either?
I'm thinking that Talona in particular would surely have issues with those that oppose her being immune to her afflictions.

I assume that Ed created afflictions that might be technically considered a poison or a disease in terms of symtoms but may have been something else entirely.

Any thing you can share?
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2009 :  22:38:11  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hey Ed, I hope you're recovering from GenCon alright; one of these days I'll make it down there and say hi again. In the meantime, however, I have a quick question: I was rereading Volo's Guide to All Things Magical and noticed something that had escaped me all the other times I read it. In the section on Elixirs, under the Great Elixir, Volo mentions that Elminster has assured him that the recipe he's about to give is accurate. However, he doesn't actually *give* a recipe, the way he does with the other three elixirs. Instead he launches right into the effects. Can you share how to make it? I enjoy sending my players off on various wild-goose chases (if anyone from my CK game is reading this... uhh... heh heh ), and could definitely make use of the recipe. Many thanks.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  06:57:33  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

I was perusing Candlekeep's library when I found (again) a scroll by Doug Niles recounting the Darkwalker on Moonshae refitting. It reminded me of a question I had when I first read the scroll three years ago (at which time I was not a contributing scribe, just a newly-arrived frequent reader). Is the original geography of your Moonshaes covered by the original-submission NDA blanket, or is it possible for you to share a map of that region with us at Candlekeep? Thank you for your reply, whatever it may be.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  18:26:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Sorry, Jakk. The "original" Moonshaes are indeed behind the mighty NDA wall.
Some scribes have seen them when (the Ed roast at a GenCon some years back, for instance) the "master" map of the Realms has been exhibited (Ed's photocopies all taped together and marker-coloured; glimpses of it can be seen in the D&D 40th anniversary coffee table book, again from a few years back), but neither TSR nor WotC have ever officially published them anywhere.
However, who knows? Ed will try again to get them into print, somehow and somewhere, and we'll see.
One can but try.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  18:29:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Ed has fallen silent for two days to quickly take care of some future Realms matters. The Realms are not dead!
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 26 Aug 2009 18:31:37
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  19:23:04  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Ed has fallen silent for two days to quickly take care of some future Realms matters. The Realms are not dead!
love to all,
THO

That looks promising.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  19:31:20  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Please tell Mr. Greenwood that I wish him all the best with his new Realms project, and that this is one paladin that's looking forward to opening a chest (my bookstore) and reading through the brand new tome that's found therein!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 26 Aug 2009 19:49:39
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2009 :  19:53:45  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:

Hi again, all.
love to all,
THO

That looks promising.

It does indeed...

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  10:05:57  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

I don't know why, but I feel like a goose just walked over my grave...

There's something ominous about the way you had to clarify that the Realms were not dead, my lady. Is there something I'm missing?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  10:44:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,

quote:

I don't know why, but I feel like a goose just walked over my grave...

There's something ominous about the way you had to clarify that the Realms were not dead, my lady. Is there something I'm missing?

I just read that as eagerness and encouragement to those who are sceptical about the future of the Realms product-wise myself.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  13:51:38  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I just read that as eagerness and encouragement to those who are sceptical about the future of the Realms product-wise myself.

The Realms are vibrant and alive!

I also think she was joking about the relative quietness on the board.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  16:39:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Right on, gomez and Jorkens.
You need not worry about the Realms, Zandilar. The number of burgeoning projects Ed is involved in or being consulted on or hearing about bodes very well for the Realms as a continuing published presence.
Not in the "half dozen sourcebooks and same number of novels plus comics and other extras, per year" form it used to be in - - but then, if you look across the industry, NOTHING is getting that sort of coverage these days (Warhammer comes closest, but only if you consider all the different novel lines still "one"). The era of the Net and the PDF and the online magazine and web enhancements have all hit, and wrought their changes.
Me, I'd still prefer the bookshelf of tangible books I could read, and re-read (and buy still-in-print replacements for, when they finally fell apart through heavy usage and love), but as Ed often says: "I'm not running a game company. I'd be a disaster at it if I tried."
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  20:10:31  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
hehe THO tell ED for me that its a disaster if anyone tries that, even the ones who are doing it.
disaster= pain killers and killer headaches.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  20:50:29  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I ran into a gamer earlier today who once played in an Ed-run Realms adventure, and he told me to ask Ed to tell me "the story of the six dragons fighting in a castle, and wrecking it," apparently while he and other PC adventurers were inside.
So, Ed, being as this is one I've GOT to hear . . . please?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000