Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  21:18:01  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

(No, NOT the way you're thinking, you in the back wearing the leer. BAD scribe!)

Now you are making it sound like that is a *bad* thing.

I recall Ed said we would be 'pleased' with some of the outcome of the novel. Of course, since he didn't specify what we would be pleased about, that is not actually much help :P
I guess we will just have to wait...

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  21:24:50  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Teneck

quote:

<snip>
(No, NOT the way you're thinking, you in the back wearing the leer. BAD scribe!)

It's not a leer...it is an evil grin thinking about what poor fool they are going to recruit to kill El. Seems to me that whole conversation is going to be...

"Sure I am an assassin for hire...who has to die?"

"Really....Elminster?...ELMINSTER!!!! has to die ...I think I just retired.

It's likely that The Simbul will be by his side, so...yeah its time to retire and move to another plane.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Draenar
Acolyte

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  22:23:26  Show Profile  Visit Draenar's Homepage Send Draenar a Private Message
I'm quite excited to hear about Elminster Must Die. (That title is great.)

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart
My first question is: What year was it when Storm and Elminster went to the magefair? I think it was before the Time of Troubles, but just wanted to make sure.

It took place in 1355 DR, according to this (official) site: http://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/fr_timeline.asp. (It's not very up-to-date, but I've found it a good quick-reference, when hunting through the Grand History would be too distracting.)

BRITANNUS (shocked): Caesar, this is not proper.
THEODOTUS (outraged): How?
CAESAR (recovering his self-possession): Pardon him Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.
    -- Caesar and Cleopatra, Act II, George Bernard Shaw
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  22:48:33  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I'm not exited.... Elminster mustn't die......

oh great, ow I've got a new book to look out for to buy.

ohwell....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Pierre-Luc
Acolyte

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  00:36:56  Show Profile Send Pierre-Luc a Private Message
Hi, I'm from Quebec and I'd like to know if there's a way of getting the RPGA adventures even if I'm not a member? A way to pay-and-download, maybe? Thanks very much.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  00:58:23  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Zandilar, as always, you are dead-on accurate everywhere where you aren’t darned-closed accurate. Please stick your oar in, anytime. (Sorry, haven’t stopped flirting from GenCon yet. Go ahead, hit me. I like it.)

*hits Ed with a soft suede cat-o-nine-tails* *does it again for good measure*

quote:
Maxer is still around (though he “goes on missions” farther and farther afield, empowered by Mystra and Azuth, at least until the Spellplague hits and probably destroys him as the Weave goes down), so, yes, it WOULD “depend on if your character felt like sharing.” Maxer is completely generous about sharing, because he loves Storm - - and her den-mothering of all Harpers, and her ongoing love affairs and friendships with many, many folk (from halfling, gnome, and dwarven to the more numerous human, elven, and half-elven, all of both genders but probably about three-quarters male) are all part of the woman he loves.

Sounds like a very patient man.

quote:
Your summation of Storm’s preferences is dead-on accurate, though you are correct in thinking her temper was a little overblown in SHADOWDALE, and her customary character a bit different than portrayed therein. The deceitful are her pet hate, but she makes exceptions for deceivers who are trying not to hurt and telling “little white lies” and other kind deceptions, as opposed to evil deceptions. Yes, no alpha males, and yes, she’s strong but can and does love to yield and be soft (and be dominated during sex, but no “that means I can lord it over you the rest of the time” stuff, or the mate is GONE). You are also dead-on correct in this: “I expect that any potential mate would also have to settle for being with her when they can - this for two reasons, the first that she's often off "saving the world behind the scenes" and they may not be powerful enough to go along with her (ie: they would be a liability), and the second is that I don't expect anyone would get total monogamy out of her. Also, I don't think male gender would be mandatory in a mate, though I suspect the underlying preference would be in that direction (sadly enough).”

It was a nice exercise to stretch my mind and try to think like you, Ed (thinking like you thinking like Storm). Good to see I'm not too bad at it. I always figured she was mostly straight, but I'm not really able to put my finger on why - probably because of her seeming desperation to have a child. I'd ask if she actually managed to accomplish that before whatever fate awaits her in 4e, but I suspect the answer will be tightly under the rotting wraps of the Great Mummy NDAkhaman. (I'm always puzzled when infertile people will do anything they can to have a child of their own, when there's millions upon millions of orphans in the world looking for someone to love them and raise them, and that puzzlement extends to fantasy worlds as well - but I'm not the mothering type, so maybe I'm missing something.)

quote:
For the record, Storm has “been with” female partners for decades at a time in the past, and during her youth, as a slave, those were the only sort of willing relationships (as opposed to male captors forcing themselves on her) she had, for some time.

I'd probably put her on the opposite side of the Kinsey scale to me - in the bisexual range, but on the border with heterosexual, while I'm on the other side on the lesbian border... And both of us being women, that is somewhat more fluid than fixed in stone.

quote:
Yet, yes, she does tend to enjoy guys. As I once had her comment, in a scene that got firmly cut by Brian Thomsen for obvious reasons (but not until after he’d chuckled over it and said, “Nicely done. We can’t use it, of course - - but nicely done all the same”), “They have this funny, funny handle, that feels so good within, reaching up for the back of your throat.”
Ahem.

Funny handle huh? *chuckles* I don't know what the fascination is myself, but that's not the only time I've head such sentiments (with much blushing from the males involved when their partners have said as much).

quote:
So saith Ed. Ahem, indeed, Old Mage. Down from the GenCon high, there’s a good lad.

A question out of curiosity - is GenCon always in August? I ask because I'm right at the beginning stages of planning (mostly pondering how we'll be able to afford it, especially since I'm too big for cattle class air travel right at this moment in time) a visit to America for both GenCon and BlizzCon in 2011 (don't think we'll make it next year), I think, especially if GenCon and BlizzCon are always so close to each other by timeframe (BlizzCon 09 starts this Friday). Otherwise I'll have to decide which one to go to... (GenCon is higher in my priority list at the moment, meeting Ed in person is something I've wanted to do for ages! I missed out last time he was in Australia. )

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  01:39:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

A question out of curiosity - is GenCon always in August? I ask because I'm right at the beginning stages of planning (mostly pondering how we'll be able to afford it, especially since I'm too big for cattle class air travel right at this moment in time) a visit to America for both GenCon and BlizzCon in 2011 (don't think we'll make it next year), I think, especially if GenCon and BlizzCon are always so close to each other by timeframe (BlizzCon 09 starts this Friday). Otherwise I'll have to decide which one to go to... (GenCon is higher in my priority list at the moment, meeting Ed in person is something I've wanted to do for ages! I missed out last time he was in Australia. )

It seems to always be around August, least it has been for the last four years. However, this is also the case up to 2015 when it's in the end of July as seen from this press release:

http://www.gencon.com/2009/indy/sm/press/releases/2009/2009.04.07b.press.aspx

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 21 Aug 2009 01:39:27
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  03:28:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
As I understand it, since moving to Indy, GenCon has to shift around (in terms of dates) to avoid the Indianapolis 500, the Brickyard 500 (car races at the nearby Speedway, for those not North American), and other events that will snap up all the hotel rooms in the vicinity. So it won't always be over the "same weekend" in August.
It officially starts 6 am Thursday with DAWN PATROL, but in recent years so many events and registrations (and for anyone not in the continental USA, Zandilar, like you and Ed and me, "Will Call" con badge pickup, which involves lining up and presenting your passport as photo ID) have taken place on Wednesday, that the last half of Wednesday is "part of the con" (just not part of shopping the exhibit hall, which opens 10 am Thursday). I recommend staying in Indy Sunday night, or it'll feel like you're leaving a party that's still raging.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  03:38:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and Zandilar: Ed tells me that with all the food, drink, games, and suchlike he buys, plus his hotel room and parking, attending a GenCon costs him about 4 thousand US dollars. Not including airfare.
However, he also says that if you can curb your game buying (and there's parcel shipping available right outside the exhibit hall, in the convention center lobby; ask "Uncle" Wes Nicholson all about that, because he's been attending GenCon from Oz for seemingly decades; he's a Sydneysider, if I remember rightly), and aren't buying dinner for lots of folks, and avoid the pricey restaurants, and aren't parking a car, you COULD do GenCon in some style on about 1800 US dollars. Or bare-bones for about 1300.
Ed also wants you to know that if you are attending GenCon in a year in which he does (he intends to be at every one until he dies, but if his wife's health deteriorates much more, he may miss a few years), he'll buy you dinner and lunch and hand you cash to cover more meals when he can't be at your table (he has some "duty meals" with various publishers and game companies, and private munches with longtime friends, too), if that helps.
Oh, and if you bring a flogger or just make do with whatever's handy, he'll arch to meet and greet the blows.
Hmm. I think I'd like to watch.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 21 Aug 2009 03:38:36
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  03:52:37  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ahem.
"but that's not the only time I've head such sentiments"
Zandilar, PLEASE tell me that's a typo.
Or, dear Mystra, I'll explode with mirth. I will.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  04:00:33  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
And to go serious for a moment, I'm guessing that Ed's "base cost" for GenCon is largely hotel rooms, which run around $170/night in the downtown, at con rates, plus an almost 20 percent [or will be; it goes up next year, I'm told] state "occupancy tax."
You can stay at B&Bs or distant hotels for less, the room rate is always the same for one or two people and goes up with more occupants after that, and there ARE cheap eats like the Subway and the Steak & Shake (and the food court in the attached mall). Of course, they're not always stellar food (though the Subway is probably the healthiest food in the downtown).
However, Ed's the expert here. I'd wager he's attended more GenCons than anyone else here at the Keep (if I remember rightly, it's GenCon 8, then 13, then 17 to date - - and we're up to, what, 42?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  05:10:53  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
Aye, I was able to attend this year for just under 1600 USD, with hotel, food, air fair, and what I bought at the Con. The restaurant at the Hilton Garden Inn had a really great soup and salad bar, and I walked to a nearby store for basics as snacks and breakfast to help keep costs down and eat healthy. (GenCon was a reward for losing weight/pant sizes, so I didn't want to undo all my hard work, lol. Plus I saved up for over a year to be able to do this year.) Most of the places I went to, you could find something fairly healthy on the menus, but you just had to dig a bit. :)

Thanks Ed for the suggestions about local conventions. The Paizo one would be the closest to me, since I'm only about 250-275 miles south of Seattle. Although any kind of fun trip has been put on hold for me indefinitely, since I'm embarking on a new career as a college student, and finding out that "poor college student" is indeed a true statement!

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  07:40:45  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

@Ed: Are you sure you're not an angel in human form? 'Cause I'm really beginning to think that! (An angel of Sharess, purrhaps? )

Depending on how things go, I may well take you up on the offer of a meal - as for the rest... well, I couldn't accept such generosity.

quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Ahem.
"but that's not the only time I've head such sentiments"
Zandilar, PLEASE tell me that's a typo.
Or, dear Mystra, I'll explode with mirth. I will.
BB

*picks herself off the ground after laughing herself off her chair*

Oh, I wonder where the r went?! No, it wasn't intentional... But funny nevertheless.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  08:02:30  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Excuse me from being a pest, my Lady and Ed, but I assume the rest of my questions regarding slavery are waiting for an answer, and were not unnoticed, yes? (I'm chronically insecure about asking anything on the internet... comes from when I was a kid and nobody would listen to me when I was right in front of them... seriously)

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  08:17:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I can understand your feelings about insecurity re: posting on the web, Menelvagor. But there's really never any need to concern yourself with that here. Rest assured, the eternal vigilance of the Lady Hooded One has ensured her recording of your questions for Ed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  11:04:55  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
Greetings sweet Lady.

It seems like I have another question to add to Ed's long list, as it seems like he might be the only one to know the answer.

I was reading in the Grey Box (again) and on the entry on the diplomat Luvon Greencloak in Cormanthor, I found the location-name of Cormesta being used. I cant remember seeing that name before (although I must remember that elven history is not my strong suite), is it a variant of Cormanthyr, the name of a settlement or what?

Thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  11:33:00  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:

I recommend staying in Indy Sunday night, or it'll feel like you're leaving a party that's still raging.

Sunday evening is also a good moment to hook up with some people and have a drink-and-a-bite.

As for registration: assuming the systemw ill work the same as this year, you can try to volunteer for the RPGA for 4 slots (to DM, or for setup if you're quick) and get a DM badge (7 slots also gets a room wednesday til sunday). Then you only need to be at Will Call if you bought tickets online. Of course, that takes up a few slots, and it will need some planning if you want to attend a few seminars.

And if I'll be at GenCon 2011, which is not a given, I'd be happy to buy you (and THO, if she makes it there, and Ed) a meal and a drink. Or several drinks.

Edit: and I'll be happy to buy a round for the guys I met this year as well (Brian, Brian, Matt, Chris, Jeff, and Erik). Or at least arrange for the pizza.

Gomez

Edited by - gomez on 21 Aug 2009 15:00:19
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  15:36:00  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Jorkens, "Cormesta" was a tent settlement located in various spots on the edges of the great forest that contains the ruins of Myth Drannor and borders or surrounds many of the Dales.
In other words, it was moved about by the elves to avoid Zhentarim and brigand depredations, plus attempts by wealthy Sembians to dominate it. The elves established it in the late 1330s, and it appeared in various forms until around 1362 DR or so; they intended it to be a "trading fair" where humans and other races could meet and trade with elves, hopefully without blundering deeper into the forest.
It served its purpose, but wasn't a shining success - - other than as a way for the elves to learn and identify some of the Sembian and Zhent traders who were most keen to acquire elven magic and goods, by whatever means (bribery, murder, robbery, etc. as well as through trade). Luvon saw its usefulness in this regard (as in: "Brings the b***tards to one place, so we can save on time and foot-sores and arrows in taking them down," though those actual words would never, of course, be uttered by Greencloak), but did not think that its establishment was that great an idea. For one thing, its moving about led to wild tavern-tales and expeditions to search for "lost Cormesta," and beliefs about all sorts of magic elves used to hide the place, which would of course be very useful to humans if hey could get their hands on such Art, by any means.
All the above comes from Ed's notes and discussions with him over the years.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  18:57:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

quote:

I recommend staying in Indy Sunday night, or it'll feel like you're leaving a party that's still raging.

Sunday evening is also a good moment to hook up with some people and have a drink-and-a-bite.

As for registration: assuming the systemw ill work the same as this year, you can try to volunteer for the RPGA for 4 slots (to DM, or for setup if you're quick) and get a DM badge (7 slots also gets a room wednesday til sunday). Then you only need to be at Will Call if you bought tickets online. Of course, that takes up a few slots, and it will need some planning if you want to attend a few seminars.

And if I'll be at GenCon 2011, which is not a given, I'd be happy to buy you (and THO, if she makes it there, and Ed) a meal and a drink. Or several drinks.

Edit: and I'll be happy to buy a round for the guys I met this year as well (Brian, Brian, Matt, Chris, Jeff, and Erik). Or at least arrange for the pizza.

Gomez

Assuming that it's will be the same next year, volunteering for Paizo Pathfinder Society games holds similar rewards. They have a 'Tier' system depending on how much you volunteer. If you go all out, you'll get a four day pass and all the bells and whistles. I volunteered to run two scenarios and got a discount at the Paizo booth, credit on my GenCon account and a nice tee-shirt!

Also, I agree with THO, stay Sunday night (I know some were forced to because of weather problems in Chicago). Not only does it make Sunday more relaxing, but you're also not trying to carry around your luggage since you have to check out in the morning.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  19:07:52  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Jorkens, "Cormesta" was a tent settlement located in various spots on the edges of the great forest that contains the ruins of Myth Drannor and borders or surrounds many of the Dales.
In other words, it was moved about by the elves to avoid Zhentarim and brigand depredations, plus attempts by wealthy Sembians to dominate it. The elves established it in the late 1330s, and it appeared in various forms until around 1362 DR or so; they intended it to be a "trading fair" where humans and other races could meet and trade with elves, hopefully without blundering deeper into the forest.
It served its purpose, but wasn't a shining success - - other than as a way for the elves to learn and identify some of the Sembian and Zhent traders who were most keen to acquire elven magic and goods, by whatever means (bribery, murder, robbery, etc. as well as through trade). Luvon saw its usefulness in this regard (as in: "Brings the b***tards to one place, so we can save on time and foot-sores and arrows in taking them down," though those actual words would never, of course, be uttered by Greencloak), but did not think that its establishment was that great an idea. For one thing, its moving about led to wild tavern-tales and expeditions to search for "lost Cormesta," and beliefs about all sorts of magic elves used to hide the place, which would of course be very useful to humans if hey could get their hands on such Art, by any means.
All the above comes from Ed's notes and discussions with him over the years.
love,
THO

Thank you to you both Ed and Lady of the Hood.

This will be useful, a settlement that might be located anywhere along the borders if needed. Great for starting adventures or to give the characters a helping hand if needed.

But if it was a spot for trading, how did it fill this role? Did the inhabitants move along a set trail or where runners sent out to surrounding areas informing of the new location of the settlement?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  19:42:57  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

(I know some were forced to because of weather problems in Chicago).

Doesn't even want to talk about what Chicago was like on Sunday. My 1030 arrival turned into 230. What a freaking mess Chicago turned into.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  20:19:54  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
Hey, Ed! Congratulations on getting your own Liber amicorum!

I am guessing the answer will be NDA, but a question: in Laeral's entry in The Seven sisters, you wrote about the two other survivors of the Nine. Can you share anything about the other six(presumably dead, even as of 1367 DR) members of the Nine? Who were they? Were they always the same Nine, or did the roster fluctuate over time? If you can share anything about some of their henchmen and hangers-on, that would be very nice, too.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  22:36:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
I bring you the latest Realmslore reply from Ed:

Jorkens, elves left word at the inns all across the Dales, then functioned as guides to Cormesta for interested traders.

Thaura,arth, I wish I could say more about the Nine right now, but I can't; they're under a shiny new NDA. Which should in itself tell you something. ;}

So saith Ed. A subtle hinter, as always! (As in: as subtle as brick.)
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 21 Aug 2009 22:37:27
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  00:40:21  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Ed are there regions with strong magnetic fields in the underdark that make traversing them with metal possesions difficult to nigh impossible?

Can you name a few off the top of head possibly?

Glad you had a great Gencon, wasn't able to make it this year, dad now.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  02:18:23  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Ed and THO,

I'm once again going to take a stab at penetrating an NDA wall, but it's a rather vague hypothesis, so if anything more detailed is not NDA'd, I'm always interested.

The pyramids of Ascore:

quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

I asked Ed about this one and I got 3 letters...

NDA.

Conversation with other scribes here at the Keep got me thinking that they form a magical binding circle (given their appearance on the map of the ruins). Are they related in any way to the nameless evil that has been lurking/trapped in Ascore for the past two millennia-plus?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 22 Aug 2009 02:31:28
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  07:18:06  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message
quote:
Thaura,arth, I wish I could say more about the Nine right now, but I can't; they're under a shiny new NDA. Which should in itself tell you something. ;}

love to all,
THO

Thanks for the reply (quick, too!). Shiny new, huh? A very subtle hint indeed... Allow me to retreat and go slap myself, while repeating the mantra "Why did you not think of this earlier, you big schmuck!"
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  08:55:35  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all.
I bring you the latest Realmslore reply from Ed:

Jorkens, elves left word at the inns all across the Dales, then functioned as guides to Cormesta for interested traders.

love to all,
THO

Thanks again. Its amazing that this settlement, with all its potential in adventures has been left untouched throughout all the published products since the grey box.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  10:00:59  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
Thank you, Lady THO, and I apologize for not getting here sooner. I got together with an old friend for a three day Forgotten Realms campaign, which I haven't done in a few years, and that took up a lot of my time these last few days.

I really am appreciative of the information on Miior. I was wanting to use her properly (if I find myself forced to run the adventure since I can't find someone to run me, LOL). Thank you so much for the information thus far, and I look forward to hearing more if Mr. Greenwood's able to say more and can find the time. I always love hearing about Cormyr and the areas therein. It always reminds me of Joran and causes me to want to play him all the more.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  10:02:42  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Draenar

I'm quite excited to hear about Elminster Must Die. (That title is great.)

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart
My first question is: What year was it when Storm and Elminster went to the magefair? I think it was before the Time of Troubles, but just wanted to make sure.

It took place in 1355 DR, according to this (official) site: http://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/fr_timeline.asp. (It's not very up-to-date, but I've found it a good quick-reference, when hunting through the Grand History would be too distracting.)

Ah, thank you my friend!! I appreciate the time you took to find this out for me!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2009 :  16:57:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring this tidbit, from Ed of the Greenwood:

Hi, Jakk. Regarding CASTLEMOURN, my honest answer is: right now, I don't know about its future. I have to chat with Jamie Chambers and Margaret Weis and see what their take on things is/are; I still have (eventual, future) plans for novels set in Castlemourn, with or without MWP involvement. I'd like to see Brian Gute and Jenn Brozek (plus three other writers who must remain secret for now, two because I haven't fully discussed this with them yet, and the other because of the uncertainty and his situation) get a chance to spread their wings and do Castlemourn fiction, probably a line of novels. However, I do want you to know that as far as I'm concerned, Castlemourn is NOT dead, and I retain rights to the setting.
And then there's Embersea . . .

So saith Ed. Who I know chatted with a Tor editor at GenCon, and of course is now working with Paizo and Herobits and Goodman Games, not to mention Open Design and of course WotC.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000