Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  23:33:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed has, I believe, given lore replies here at the Keep in the past that have mentioned the Cormaerils.
Sage? Wooly? Kuje? (I hate to always cry out for assistance, guys, but the search and display powers of the computer I usually use to access the Keep are severely limited.)
love,
THO
Aye. There's a couple of brief replies in the '05 compiled files -- June 9 and 10 being particularly lengthy replies.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  23:35:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Oh, and they receive some attention in Cormyr: A Novel and Beyond the High Road too.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  00:51:31  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Currency taken from other planes is worth what on faerun, Ed can you tell us of any currency of other planes that may have high value in faerun?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  03:57:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time Ed returns to Asgetrion’s list of Thunderstone-and-vicinity questions, and tackles this one:
“5) Which religions have shrines (or even temples) in or around Thunderstone? I've already included shrines to Tymora, Tempus, Chauntea, Silvanus (outside the town) and Torm -- some of these due to PC backgrounds -- but I'd like to hear from you if I have forgotten an "obvious" deity from that list.”
Ed replies:

You have all the major ones except Lathander.
There’s a shrine to Lathander on the south side of the Rise, at the west end of Thunderstone (where the Rise becomes the overland road linking Thunderstone with Hultail and the heart of Cormyr).
There’s also been talk of establishing a shrine to Waukeen, but the presence of a shrine at Hultail has delayed any such plans indefinitely; visiting that shrine gives local merchants an excuse to get loans from moneylenders in Hultail without admitting they’re seeking loans (they explain away such trips by saying they visited those same persons in Hultail for moneyCHANGING purposes, and also made the rounds of warehouses and local merchants in Hultail to restock their wares for their shops back in Thunderstone).
Just north of Thunderstone, across the Thunderflow and into the Hullack Forest, no more than a long bowshot northeast of the forest verge immediately north of Stag’s Skull Bridge, is a clearing in the Hullack surrounded by thick, thigh-high stands of silverleaf fern, where a shrine to Mielikki is situated. Only Harpers and local rangers know about it and use it, though rumors of its existence are beginning to spread in Thunderstone (some Harpers are trying to counter them by spreading other rumors that a shrine USED to exist, but was destroyed with “fell magic that still lingers,” and so should be shunned.
This builds on a Crown prohibition on woodcutting in the Hullack within a half-day’s travel of the north end of Stag’s Skull Bridge, which was decreed just before Azoun IV came to the throne to halt what was beginning to happen: local woodcutters deliberately clearing a swath due north from the end of the bridge, intending to cut clear across the Hullack and found a new settlement on the East Way where their new road, when it was completed, met the East Way. The Crown had no intention of allowing certain beasts and elven ruins in the depths of the forest to be disturbed, and have to deal with the result just so a few merchants could enrich themselves (and found a new settlement that would either be independent of Cormyr and therefore a rallying-point for all rebels and foes of the Forest Kingdom, or an isolated part of Cormyr requiring the Crown to build a castle and permanently station many Purple Dragons (plus a local lord, and necessary staff and servants) there (a permanent ongoing expense).
The planned road was to have been known as the Hullackheart Trail, and the community Rabruin’s Tor after a landmark crag (just south of the East Way, just east of where it plunges into the Hullack on the Thunder Peaks side) bought and occupied by the chief backer of the road, the wealthy woodcutter and wagonmaker Estann Rabruin. He was a strong-willed, unscrupulous, tireless man who’s been dead for more than a decade, but the families of his five far more timid and less energetic sons (of whom the most forceful and capable is probably the eldest, Torstryn) still ranch and cut wood from the Tor.
Back to that shrine to Mielikki.
It’s seldom used, even though it’s shared with worshippers of Lurue, and there’s nothing in it to show its use except an eerie blue glow that arises when the name of either goddess is uttered, or surrounds any offering made to either deity or to Silvanus or Eldath, or that gathers around any unsheathed metal tool or weapon in the glade (rising to a painfully-hot flare around any metal tool or weapon used to cut or strike wood or a growing green plant in the glade). Fires will not ignite in the glade, and fires brought into it will swiftly die (including fireballs, flaming spheres, and other magical fires).
Faithful of Lurue and Mielikki often sleep the night through in the glade, lying on the bare ground (there are some large, soft patches of moss), in hopes of receiving guidance from their goddess through dream-visions - - and they are often rewarded.
Seven narrow, winding footpaths lead out of the glade in all directions, two plunging deep into the Hullack but the others all eventually circling back to its southern (Thunderflow-bank) edge, and by the power of the goddesses and Silvanus, these always remain clear of brambles and saplings, but are never obvious to the eye; they seem “not to be there” except to creatures actually on them.

So saith Ed. THE master of Realmslore, though he has been delighted to witness the emergence of many others, from Ian Hunter to Jeff Grubb and Steven Schend to Eric Boyd, George Krashos, Elaine Cunningham, Grant Christie, Brian Cortijo, Tom Costa, and others down the years.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  04:03:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello All,

Currency taken from other planes is worth what on faerun, Ed can you tell us of any currency of other planes that may have high value in faerun?

Unless the currency is particularly exotic in form, I don't think it would be worth all that much more than any other non-regular foreign currency. A crystalized flame or a platinum piece with a diamond inset would command some serious money as a curiosity, but a gold piece from say Sigil isn't going to be any more impressive than a gold piece from any other distant land in the Realms. At least, that's my take on it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  04:08:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
These Thunderstone queries are going to form a small sourcebook by themselves, when Ed's done answering them.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  04:30:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello All,

Unless the currency is particularly exotic in form, I don't think it would be worth all that much more than any other non-regular foreign currency. A crystalized flame or a platinum piece with a diamond inset would command some serious money as a curiosity, but a gold piece from say Sigil isn't going to be any more impressive than a gold piece from any other distant land in the Realms. At least, that's my take on it.

I tend to agree for the most part.

As it is, most of the original TSR fantasy worlds have their own equivalent monetary systems based on the D&D core interpretation -- like gold, silver etc -- and which have standard similar values. So values for common currency types like gold and silver are likely the same across most worlds -- unless there is a particular setting element which can impact upon that. Such as a noted shortage for a material used to craft a particular currency for example. Like steel on Ansalon [in DRAGONLANCE]. Steel actually became more valuable than most metal types [including gold and silver] used for currency on Ansalon because it became rare after being used in armament and tool making. But should a native from Ergoth on Ansalon take his hard-earned steel coins to Waterdeep for example, via some portal travel, he's unlikely to receive the same currency value for his steel pieces on Toril as he would have on Krynn during post-Cataclysmic times.

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Jan 2009 04:32:27
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  04:32:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

These Thunderstone queries are going to form a small sourcebook by themselves, when Ed's done answering them.

I'm way ahead of you Wooly.

I've actually been experimenting with a new method for compiling Ed's replies this year... creating both a master-reply file which contains all Ed's replies, and special "topical files" which include only replies Ed's made about a specific part of the Realms. Like the recent batch of Thunderstone replies for example. It's an expansion of the original idea I had for compiling all of Krash's "Impiltur" replies.

I'll be featuring a combination of compilations for these topical files, such as .doc, .html, and .pdf, so scribes should find them relatively easy to access and search through [not to mention to download as well] when necessary once they've been uploaded to Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  06:33:39  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'm way ahead of you Wooly.

I've actually been experimenting with a new method for compiling Ed's replies this year... creating both a master-reply file which contains all Ed's replies, and special "topical files" which include only replies Ed's made about a specific part of the Realms. Like the recent batch of Thunderstone replies for example. It's an expansion of the original idea I had for compiling all of Krash's "Impiltur" replies.

I'll be featuring a combination of compilations for these topical files, such as .doc, .html, and .pdf, so scribes should find them relatively easy to access and search through [not to mention to download as well] when necessary once they've been uploaded to Candlekeep.

Yes! That would be amazing! It's kinda hard to find specific kinds of information right now, but cataloguing certain topics on their own would make things so much easier.
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  07:27:52  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,

I have a question about climate changes in Faerun. The fall of their empire in conjunction with the cooling climate of Faerun forced most Sarrukh into hiding/hibernation. However, comparing the map of the Year of Oaths Forsaken with the map from the 3e FRCS, there is a considerable amount of glacial retreat from what is now Vaasa and Dammara. Does this mean that the climate of Toril, or at least Faerun has gone through both a cooling and a warming phase? Was there a full-on ice age within recorded history? How quickly does the climate go through warming and cooling periods, to what extreme, and has climate change played a major part in the rise or fall of other humanoids or creatures?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  02:11:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
Time for an update in the unfolding “Filfaeril Bound And Willing” contest (don’t worry, Ed will think of a suitable prize). Ashe Ravenheart has used his three guesses valiantly: Alaphondar, Royal Sage of Cormyr; Giogioni Wyvernspur; and Vangerdahast.
crazedventurers has echoed Alaphondar, and RodOdom has cleverly suggested “King Azoun himself.” Gomez has advanced Valantha Shimmerstar as a candidate, basing this on her “apparently mischievous” character and the VERY shrewd observation (pray read nothing into this comment of mine, scribes) that “it would be very much Ed if the writer was a woman.”
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin then guessed Elminster, Storm, and Tessaril Winter; and Wooly Rupert opted for Glarasteer Rhauligan (he HAS to be “our favorite dealer of turret tops,” being as Ed deliberately hasn’t named any of his three current competitors in print yet), with crazedventurers then confessing that Rhauligan was the second name to pop into his head (which neither Ed nor I are counting as an official vote, just a comment).
Broken Helm then advanced Lady Aerilee Summerwood (“that lady envoy from Silverymoon, from Ed's SWORDS trilogy”) and Laspeera as possibilities.
Longtime Realms helmsman Steven Schend then nominated (in jest, I hope) “said roguish miscreant Garen Thal.”
Aside from that last one, good and shrewd guesses, all (and mentally picturing it being Aerilee Summerwood, and her, ahem, field research before setting pen to page, gives ME the delighted shiver-giggles), but Ed sadly has to report that all of them happen to be wrong. People AT COURT have suspected all of those candidates, however (Alaphondar, Vangey, and Azoun very strongly).
Yet keep guessing, scribes. Only Ashe and Rino have fired salvos and thus used up their chances, thus far; everyone else is still in the running. I remind scribes again that the hint was that the author was “long known at Court” (rather than necessarily prominent or well-known at Court).
Heh-heh.
As Damian commented, it is a nice contest. Good fun for all. And yes, A Gavel, Ed agrees with you, and will provide a few sample titles of things the various candidate characters have written.
Now for a Realmslore reply from Ed. This time, it’s to Scarbeard’s post: “First, thank you for the fun reads, the Realms in general, and the many questions and comments that abound on these boards. Good stuff.
Now to questions...
Any hint on the whereabouts of the dragonstaff of Ahghairon? Or even its master, Maaril the Dragon Mage, or is all cloaked under the devilry of NDA's after his tower rocketed into the skies?
With Waterdeep's navy in the drink and relying mostly on the graces of Mintran warships for defense, would you guess an increase in pirate activities throughout the Wailing Years? Even more, threats from spell-scarred monsters or even the creepings of the Abolethic Sovereignty (though I know they're mostly in the Sea of Fallen Stars) may tax the resources of protecting merchant vessels and the shores of Waterdeep, giving rise to perhaps the hiring of privateers and such to bolster the Mintarn navy. I'm not very knowledgeable on Mintarn's sea might, but just how dangerous is the Sea of Swords now and has it stifled trade? Is this why Waterdeep scuttled its ships, not having the funds to keep a fleet maintained, and instead hiring out with trade pacts and such?
Thanks for your time,
Cheers from the dirty dwarf”
Ed replies:

I’m sorry, Scarbeard, but for now, the answers to all of your questions are NDA (future fiction plans for the Realms, on the part of more than a few authors). In short, these matters are not (yet, anyway) mine to reveal, though in the unpublished “bible” for the ‘Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep’ series I did say more about Waterdeep’s navy than has thus far been revealed publicly. There may come a time when I can speak more freely, but more likely you’ll read answers (of a sort) to some of your questions in future Realms fiction.
Mind you, no one should interpret these words of mine to mean someone’s writing a book right now about the scuttling of Waterdeep’s navy and the rise of piracy led by that masked swashbuckler Maaril the Dragon Mage, wielding the dragonstaff of Ahghairon . . . but that might make a rip-roaring read, mightn’t it? Hmmm, let’s think more on this . . .

So saith Ed. Who’s teasing, but also reminding us how some of the past Realms novels have come to be written. Hmmm, indeed.
Oh, Wooly? Ed got your e-mail, but it was all scrambled (problems his end, not with your message) and he's only just now managing to get to work on piecing it together. Expect an answer Monday or Tuesday.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  03:05:36  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Does Scornubel have a sewer system, anything of interest down there if so, hidden temples, cults, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  03:19:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Oh, Wooly? Ed got your e-mail, but it was all scrambled (problems his end, not with your message) and he's only just now managing to get to work on piecing it together. Expect an answer Monday or Tuesday.
love to all,
THO

I can resend it, if necessary... It was just a follow-on to the previous question I'd asked.

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  04:20:13  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Guess One? Filfaeril herself, perhaps? Who would suspect it?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Stratigo
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  06:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Stratigo's Homepage Send Stratigo a Private Message
So then, I'm just wondering if there are any diseases like leprosy in Faerun, and if they are are they cureable?

I work for only two thing. Pwer and challange. You can provide neither.

May the Emperor have mercy upon you're soul, for his servants cannot.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  08:18:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
From Ed's October 26th, 2004 reply: whitewasting (leprosy). So yes, it exists. As for a cure, not sure.

quote:
Originally posted by Stratigo

So then, I'm just wondering if there are any diseases like leprosy in Faerun, and if they are are they cureable?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

danbuter
Seeker

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  13:29:55  Show Profile  Visit danbuter's Homepage Send danbuter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Stratigo

There are definately some uncured diseases in Mistshore. I recommend the novel.

Nothing beats the gray box!
Dan
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  16:12:47  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
What about Mystical or Fantasy Race STD? Do they exist, like Elven Aids or the Dwarven Clap? A little perverted by an interesting question if your character is going to every festhall in the realms...

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  18:37:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Yet another round of questions for my queue... I just surfed thru all the notes I'd made, and I didn't see too much relevant to this one...

I'm reading thru the Castlemourn book, and I got to the entry on Dragonhead. It mentions dwarves and golaunt having statues of Larlasse in front of their homes. And that got me to thinking...

For non-clerics, what kind of religious icons are used, and how prevalent are they? The lovely Lady Hooded One mentioned the Knights of Myth Drannor having holy symbols or tokens to their patron deities, but I was wondering how common this was. Also, what about non-adventurers? Small home shrines, religious tokens, statues, other artwork, holy symbols, what?

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  21:57:44  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

What about Mystical or Fantasy Race STD? Do they exist, like Elven Aids or the Dwarven Clap?

Don't forget Troll Warts, Halfling Herpes, or Sahaugin Siphilis. The logistics of acquiring such diseases seems a whole lot more disturbing than the idea of them spreading very far... I would expect festhalls to keep magical healing either on hand or close by to prevent the spread of such things.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  00:13:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

What about Mystical or Fantasy Race STD? Do they exist, like Elven Aids or the Dwarven Clap? A little perverted by an interesting question if your character is going to every festhall in the realms...

Ed's actually touched on a few diseases and the like previously in his replies here at Candlekeep. [As the leprosy entry indicates] While you're waiting for Ed's take on your query, I'd perform a search through the compiled reply files.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  00:15:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Oh, and Ed, you've got a semi-Realms-related email coming your way. [Actually, it kinda deals with other stuff you've written outside the Realms too]

Watch for it!

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  01:22:51  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Ed can you speak about who rules Scornubel during 1372, is it a merchant council and if yes who are they and have any of them been recently added or removed by 1372?

Where Ioun stones invented in faerun and if yes by whom?
Go to Top of Page

Ayn Fuuser
Acolyte

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  01:31:04  Show Profile  Visit Ayn Fuuser's Homepage Send Ayn Fuuser a Private Message
As to createvmind and his question regarding the origin of Ioun stones I believe the mage named Ioun from the Age of Netheril created them. He was supposed to have been the second most powerful mage of Netheril, next to Krasus - the man who inadvertently caused the death of the first God of Magic, Mystryl. Hopefully that's accurate. :)

Also, as for one of my guesses to the "Filfaeril Bound and Willing" quandery I'm going to go with a completely wild guess and say Valantha Shimmerstar. A rather mischievous female War Wizard.

Oh, and if someone would be so kind as to expand on Ioun further...I'm no where near my sourcebooks currently. Thanks!

Edit: A typo here, a typo there.

Edited by - Ayn Fuuser on 19 Jan 2009 01:44:42
Go to Top of Page

Ayn Fuuser
Acolyte

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  02:03:19  Show Profile  Visit Ayn Fuuser's Homepage Send Ayn Fuuser a Private Message
After much agonizing internal debate my second candidate for Ed's quiz would have to be none other than Volothamp Geddarm. That little rapscallion. It may explain why he hasn't realeased any more of his infamous Guides recently!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  03:39:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. Ed delves back into Asgetrion’s roster of Thunderstone queries, to deal now with this one:
“6) Which demihuman races have any "presence" in Thunderstone? Is it alright to assume that whole families of gnomes, halflings and dwarves live and work there? Any lost (i.e. forgotten) dwarven or gnome clan holds/strongholds nearby?”
Ed replies:

Even as passing travellers, elves are rarely seen in Thunderstone and the farmlands around it, though there are a few resident half-elves. Dwarves are seldom seen, though there are a handful of residents (and more in small, simple family delves in the foothills of the Thunder Peaks; they will gather at the higher, deeper-dug former dwarven strongholds of Aszcrag and Hulder’s Axe in the mountains proper, in times of war, alarm, or need. (These places are otherwise deserted, except as a place where casks of water and excess grain are cached in times of plenty, for later lean times, and as places passing dwarves may shelter in, overnight, if “stern weather” catches them.)
Gnomes are fairly common, both in Thunderstone and the surrounding ranching and farming country, and in the foothills (where, like the dwarves, they dwell in small and simple family delves, most of them being built around springs of drinkable water that rise to the surface and then flow out of the delve; because bears, owlbears, leucrotta, and other formidable beasts like to lair in such places, gnome family “holds” usually have pit traps lined with sharpened timber stakes, and similar “confinement” misdirections, plus “rockfall” chutes that allow tons of rubble to be unleashed down onto the heads of persistently-digging intruders).
Halflings are very common in Thunderstone and its surrounding farming and ranching country, making up perhaps 2 in every 10 sentient inhabitants, but deliberately keep a low public profile so humans won’t fear their numbers and resent or be suspicious of them. Many farms owned by humans are largely worked by halflings, who tend to be the majority of bakers, brewers, and livestock trainers and tenders in the area.
In Thunderstone proper, dwarves and gnomes do all the plumbing, almost all the smithing and mason-work, most of the roofing and large-scale carpentry, and a lot of the carving of everyday furniture and items (carry-coffers, bread-boxes, storage tins, portable display racks and shelves), too.
This is very much “typical” (stereotypical) work for these races, but there are also local halfling artists, gnome potters, and gnome and dwarf hatters, lacemakers, and gown and dress-makers. A halfling family makes many of the rope-web and heather-and-lavender-stuffed bed riggings and mattresses, too, and several gnome and halfling families compete fiercely to dominate the local glasswork industries (mainly bottle-making, but also lamp “chimneys,” small window-panes [in this region, typical windows consist of a protective grid of stout “beast bars” outside a grid of wood, clay-daub sealant, and small square glass panes], and hand-mirrors).
The highest-profile demi-human in Thunderstone is probably Daerigrol “Old Daern” Halindcleave, who strides the streets every mid-morn and mid-afternoon in a dirty, scorched ankle-length leather apron growling old songs to himself and periodically clashing two sickles against each other above his head. He’s Thunderstone’s roving knife- and tool-sharpener, and will do “three simple blades for a copper, or one good one” (a ‘good one’ meaning a sword, axe, face-razor, cook’s cleaver, or other vital or large blade). Daern’s sons are swift and efficient installers and repairers of hinges and latches, but one must call on them in their shopfront on the Rise to get them to come out to wherever their skills are needed. (They are masters of fashioning, adjusting, and re-rigging counterweights for doors [and, if one asks discreetly, traps].)

So saith Ed. Coming through in his usual enthusiastic manner.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  06:30:40  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

For non-clerics, what kind of religious icons are used, and how prevalent are they? The lovely Lady Hooded One mentioned the Knights of Myth Drannor having holy symbols or tokens to their patron deities, but I was wondering how common this was. Also, what about non-adventurers? Small home shrines, religious tokens, statues, other artwork, holy symbols, what?

I just have to say that, even from 1st and 2nd edition, a holy symbol was ALWAYS part of my standard adventurer's kit for all of my characters. I always saw it as 'better safe than sorry', and the scene of Beni in The Mummy with all of his holy symbols kinda proved my paranoia...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  07:43:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

I just have to say that, even from 1st and 2nd edition, a holy symbol was ALWAYS part of my standard adventurer's kit for all of my characters. I always saw it as 'better safe than sorry', and the scene of Beni in The Mummy with all of his holy symbols kinda proved my paranoia...

I've done it with some of my characters, too, though not all of them... It was just that that bit I read got me to thinking about how non-adventurers honor their deities.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  13:19:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

I've done it with some of my characters, too, though not all of them... It was just that that bit I read got me to thinking about how non-adventurers honor their deities.

Actually Wooly, your query sounds kinda familiar. I could've sworn Ed's discussed something like this previously -- and something not directly related to the Knights. I'll have to check.

Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  15:00:33  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

Don't forget Troll Warts, Halfling Herpes, or Sahaugin Siphilis.

Dragon Drip is the worst.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000