Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 123

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  00:17:08  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all. This time Ed responds to queries on border nobles......
Heh. Hope this is of help.
So saith Ed. Ongoing and enthusiastic creator of Cormyr and all of this fun!
love to all,
THO

Very much so, it dovetails very nicely into previous answers you have given here (e.g. land rights - commoners vs Nobles, amongst others).

Thank you Ed (and the lovely THO)

Kind regards

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  01:54:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
This time Ed responds to this recent query from Menelvagor: “Was this “Filfaeril Bound And Willing” ever mentioned before? And how did the Crown and Fee react (publicly and privately, please) to this? Did they even read it? (I can guess at its contents, so no need to ask about that)”
Ed replies:

I have mentioned it in the drafts of several Cormyr-set novels, as one of those “in jokes” that the editors used to enjoy reading privately, and then prune before publication. By which I mean: they and I both knew such snippets were never going to see print, but I wrote them for fun (back in the dear dawn days of TSR, and up until quite recently at Wizards, one of the editors would discover such a screed, have a laugh over it, then print it out, stand on her chair in cubicle-land, clear her throat loudly, and then read the said steamy scene out loud for everyone.
It provided a few moments of amusement for most of the Books Department folks, and those who needed to concentrate hard whilst editing and didn’t want to hear it were already hooked up to iPods or similar headphone and earbud devices that walled them away from such distractions.
In those unpublished (“suppressed” if you will, but with my agreement and expectation that they would be edited out), I mentioned this specific fictitious salacious work as one in which Purple Dragons would laugh over, and then get very red-faced when Queen Filfaeril strolled past them as they stood guard together, AND as something court ladies or noblewomen would gossip and titter about - - and then subside into shocked silence when Queen Fee came upon them quickly and joined their conversation about it.
Publicly and officially, the Crown ignored the work, except to ban its possession by any Purple and Blue Dragon (something deliberately not enforced in private dwellings, only within guardposts, armories, barracks, naval bases, and fortresses such as High Horn) and to send undercover courtiers around the cities of Suzail, Marsember, and Arabel to quietly buy up all the copies they could find, and “disappear” them. The Court Wizard (Vangerdahast) then issued a decree that the said work contained “dangerous hidden magics that would enact a curse upon the reader,” and banned its printing or copying out by hand, within the realm of Cormyr.
Publicly (aside from face to face meetings with individual nobles, as described above) Filfaeril ignored the existence of the work. It would be considered a grave breach of Court etiquette to mention its title to any Obarskyr, though personal friends of various royals know when they can ignore Court etiquette and when they should follow it. Filfaeril herself told some (shocked) noblewomen that she’d “quite enjoyed it,” and “hoped to read a sequel, and see what further fancies the clever, clever author could IMAGINE.” Tanalasta was too embarrassed to ever mention it to any of her fellow Obarskyrs (though a War Wizard reported to Vangerdahast that he found a copy under her mattress during his usual secret “checking for dangers” inspection, as well as finding copies in the possession of several personal maids and ladies-in-waiting to all three female Obarskyrs), Alusair discussed it frankly with both her mother and father (separately), Filfaeril and Azoun do indeed share a copy and have read it separately and together - - and have tried some of the scenes described therein together. Neither of them is inhibited, and as the ruling royals, THEY decide and set the morals of the realm, not the other way round (unlike in our real world, there aren’t sole dominant clergies in Cormyr, and therefore the royal family isn’ beholden to the opinion of this or that priest as to what’s “good” or “proper” or “appropriate” behaviour, because the many differing views of the many differing priesthoods offset each other, as it were.
In other words, the rumours that Filfaeril enjoyed the work are true.
The rumor that Bannermere wrote “Filfaeril Bound And Willing” is not true. The author IS someone long known at Court in Cormyr, but I think it’s time for some fun; I’ll leave it to scribes to guess the identity of the author, here in this thread, and give no hints - - but I WILL confirm when someone guesses right (and say so when a guess is wrong). To avoid repetitive “carpet bombing” guessing, let’s limit it to three guesses per scribe. So, stare at all those Cormyrean faces, and ask yourself: who’s secretly naughty, with pen in hand?

So saith Ed. Ho ho! Unleash the fun, indeed! consider yourself challenged, scribes!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  03:30:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Thanks for sharing that with us.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3066 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  04:08:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Hmmmmm...

Here's my three guesses (and probably the most improbably obvious):

Alaphondar, Royal Sage of Cormyr
Giogioni Wyvernspur

and...

(damn, I can't resist it. I honestly don't think he did, but someone's got to say it and I can't think of someone more unlikely than him...)

Vangerdahast

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  04:41:05  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed can you give us a little lore on the Malaugrym, I'm rereading "All Shadows Fled" and you portrayed many of the younger shadowmasters as having very little knowledge of faaerun people, culture and customs.

This raised some questions for me which may have already been asked and answered by you, sorry if thats the case.

Can Malaugrym only impregnate full humans or can they impreganate females of any race?

Is the offspring part Malaugrym or full Malugrym, like can you explain how their blood works on mortals in faerun?

More importantly to me, say a human woman births a child that is of maluag blood but no one comes for this child for first 20 years of his life, is his nature determined by his blood or the life he experiences? Is he going to become evil despite how he is brought up and his own personal code of ethics because of his bloodline?

Will he instinctively learn how to shapechange on his own if never taught by another Malaugrym?

Basically are there Malaugrym on faerun who don't know they are Malaugrym and live "normal" lives and are left alone by those who do know what they are?

Can Malaugrym always find those of Malaug blood, perhaps an ability possessed by the Shadowmasters High to prevent extinction?

Do they only produce male children and if so, why?

Edited by - createvmind on 16 Jan 2009 04:43:18
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  06:00:35  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Createvmind, you might want to check Ed's compiled replies, I could of swore he's answered these in the past. :) Maybe in replies about shape change and birthing/offspring.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  06:16:07  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Createvmind, you might want to check Ed's compiled replies, I could of swore he's answered these in the past. :) Maybe in replies about shape change and birthing/offspring.

Yeah, Kuje is on the mark. I can recall some of those replies as well, though they're scattered across several of the compiled reply files.

I'll pick out a few of the more applicable replies tonight.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Scarbeard
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  08:14:00  Show Profile  Visit Scarbeard's Homepage Send Scarbeard a Private Message
First, thank you for the fun reads, the Realms in general, and the many questions and comments that abound on these boards. Good stuff.

Now to questions...

Any hint on the whereabouts of the dragonstaff of Ahghairon? Or even its master, Maaril the Dragon Mage, or is all cloaked under the devilry of NDA's after his tower rocketed into the skies?

With Waterdeep's navy in the drink and relying mostly on the graces of Mintran warships for defense, would you guess an increase in pirate activities throughout the Wailing Years? Even more, threats from spell-scarred monsters or even the creepings of the Abolethic Sovereignty (though I know they're mostly in the Sea of Fallen Stars) may tax the resources of protecting merchant vessels and the shores of Waterdeep, giving rise to perhaps the hiring of privateers and such to bolster the Mintarn navy. I'm not very knowledgeable on Mintarn's sea might, but just how dangerous is the Sea of Swords now and has it stifled trade? Is this why Waterdeep scuttled its ships, not having the funds to keep a fleet maintained, and instead hiring out with trade pacts and such?

Thanks for your time,

Cheers from the dirty dwarf
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  09:26:55  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Alaphondar, Royal Sage of Cormyr

That was the first name that popped into my head as well

Cheers

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  11:31:57  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
King Azoun himself? He's the only guy who can't be punished for writing it !
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  12:11:00  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
I have little knowledge of Cormyrian people, but picking from a few names : Valantha Shimmerstar.
Apparently mischievous, and it would be very much Ed if the writer was a woman.
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Learned Scribe

224 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  13:50:08  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
quote:

In those unpublished (“suppressed” if you will, but with my agreement and expectation that they would be edited out), I mentioned this specific fictitious salacious work as one in which Purple Dragons would laugh over, and then get very red-faced when Queen Filfaeril strolled past them as they stood guard together

Everyday the two of you bring us more fun little facts like this is a day I enjoy the realms a little more than the previous. Not only does it make the world seem that much more alive but I think it teaches one to be a better DM.

Lets all hope that one of these days some of these "suppressed" works will make it to the web for our amusement as well.

Thank you both.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  16:33:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Oh yes, my guesses!

Elminster?

Storm?

Tessaril Winter?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29651 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  16:52:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Is it our favorite dealer of turret tops?

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  17:17:04  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Is it our favorite dealer of turret tops?

LOL - that was the 2nd name to pop into my head.

Am pondering this one - nice Quiz Ed!

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  19:03:25  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
I'm going to guess that lady envoy from Silverymoon, from Ed's SWORDS trilogy. Can't remember her name just now, but I'm guessing her, just the same.
Or Laspeera. Hey, it could be Laspeera!
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  19:25:38  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
When the contest is done, could Ed please oblige us with a few examples of chapbooks or "proper" books, fiction or poetry or treatises, penned by any of the characters various scribes have put forward as candidates?
I'm not looking for an exhaustive list, I'd just like to know if any of these people, in-game, have written and published anything, and get a few sample titles. We hear lots about monsters (or other humans) slain by adventurers, spells hurled and daring deeds done, but not so much about writers. Scibes, yes, writers, no.
My heart would be warmed by the thought of, say, Filfaeril or Laspeera or King Azoun sitting down to write something. (And yes, I recall that Storm has written works; I was more interested in non-Chosen.)
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  20:07:30  Show Profile  Send Rhewtani an AOL message Send Rhewtani a Private Message
I'm in the process of running a "as many FR adventures in the same campaign as possible" campaign, which has led to me bumping the start date to 1340 DR, so that I can start with Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Adventure.

One of the PCs is a Paladin of Ilmater, who is a member of House Cormaeril in Cormyr. Despite being mentioned and used in a lot of fiction, I can't find much information on them for that era. I would really like to know who was head of the house and who the more public members of the house were at the time.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  20:14:37  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
The rumor that Bannermere wrote �Filfaeril Bound And Willing� is not true. The author IS someone long known at Court in Cormyr, but I think it�s time for some fun; I�ll leave it to scribes to guess the identity of the author, here in this thread, and give no hints - - but I WILL confirm when someone guesses right (and say so when a guess is wrong). To avoid repetitive �carpet bombing� guessing, let�s limit it to three guesses per scribe. So, stare at all those Cormyrean faces, and ask yourself: who�s secretly naughty, with pen in hand.

I name said roguish miscreant Garen Thal, your honors!

Steven
who's now got a ditty stuck in his head from the old AD&D Comic book....

PS: "The queen of Cormyr has ten consorts, we hear...."

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  20:38:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Steven, you rogue, you!
Rhewtani, I believe the paucity of information on the Cormaerils is due to one of them being a PC in one of Ed's long-running library campaigns, and so you might not get much more out of Ed.
So far as I can recall, said PC was Beliard Cormaeril, and was a bastard son of Azoun.
Ed has, I believe, given lore replies here at the Keep in the past that have mentioned the Cormaerils.
Sage? Wooly? Kuje? (I hate to always cry out for assistance, guys, but the search and display powers of the computer I usually use to access the Keep are severely limited.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  23:33:33  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Ed has, I believe, given lore replies here at the Keep in the past that have mentioned the Cormaerils.
Sage? Wooly? Kuje? (I hate to always cry out for assistance, guys, but the search and display powers of the computer I usually use to access the Keep are severely limited.)
love,
THO
Aye. There's a couple of brief replies in the '05 compiled files -- June 9 and 10 being particularly lengthy replies.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  23:35:20  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Oh, and they receive some attention in Cormyr: A Novel and Beyond the High Road too.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  00:51:31  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Currency taken from other planes is worth what on faerun, Ed can you tell us of any currency of other planes that may have high value in faerun?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  03:57:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time Ed returns to Asgetrion’s list of Thunderstone-and-vicinity questions, and tackles this one:
“5) Which religions have shrines (or even temples) in or around Thunderstone? I've already included shrines to Tymora, Tempus, Chauntea, Silvanus (outside the town) and Torm -- some of these due to PC backgrounds -- but I'd like to hear from you if I have forgotten an "obvious" deity from that list.”
Ed replies:

You have all the major ones except Lathander.
There’s a shrine to Lathander on the south side of the Rise, at the west end of Thunderstone (where the Rise becomes the overland road linking Thunderstone with Hultail and the heart of Cormyr).
There’s also been talk of establishing a shrine to Waukeen, but the presence of a shrine at Hultail has delayed any such plans indefinitely; visiting that shrine gives local merchants an excuse to get loans from moneylenders in Hultail without admitting they’re seeking loans (they explain away such trips by saying they visited those same persons in Hultail for moneyCHANGING purposes, and also made the rounds of warehouses and local merchants in Hultail to restock their wares for their shops back in Thunderstone).
Just north of Thunderstone, across the Thunderflow and into the Hullack Forest, no more than a long bowshot northeast of the forest verge immediately north of Stag’s Skull Bridge, is a clearing in the Hullack surrounded by thick, thigh-high stands of silverleaf fern, where a shrine to Mielikki is situated. Only Harpers and local rangers know about it and use it, though rumors of its existence are beginning to spread in Thunderstone (some Harpers are trying to counter them by spreading other rumors that a shrine USED to exist, but was destroyed with “fell magic that still lingers,” and so should be shunned.
This builds on a Crown prohibition on woodcutting in the Hullack within a half-day’s travel of the north end of Stag’s Skull Bridge, which was decreed just before Azoun IV came to the throne to halt what was beginning to happen: local woodcutters deliberately clearing a swath due north from the end of the bridge, intending to cut clear across the Hullack and found a new settlement on the East Way where their new road, when it was completed, met the East Way. The Crown had no intention of allowing certain beasts and elven ruins in the depths of the forest to be disturbed, and have to deal with the result just so a few merchants could enrich themselves (and found a new settlement that would either be independent of Cormyr and therefore a rallying-point for all rebels and foes of the Forest Kingdom, or an isolated part of Cormyr requiring the Crown to build a castle and permanently station many Purple Dragons (plus a local lord, and necessary staff and servants) there (a permanent ongoing expense).
The planned road was to have been known as the Hullackheart Trail, and the community Rabruin’s Tor after a landmark crag (just south of the East Way, just east of where it plunges into the Hullack on the Thunder Peaks side) bought and occupied by the chief backer of the road, the wealthy woodcutter and wagonmaker Estann Rabruin. He was a strong-willed, unscrupulous, tireless man who’s been dead for more than a decade, but the families of his five far more timid and less energetic sons (of whom the most forceful and capable is probably the eldest, Torstryn) still ranch and cut wood from the Tor.
Back to that shrine to Mielikki.
It’s seldom used, even though it’s shared with worshippers of Lurue, and there’s nothing in it to show its use except an eerie blue glow that arises when the name of either goddess is uttered, or surrounds any offering made to either deity or to Silvanus or Eldath, or that gathers around any unsheathed metal tool or weapon in the glade (rising to a painfully-hot flare around any metal tool or weapon used to cut or strike wood or a growing green plant in the glade). Fires will not ignite in the glade, and fires brought into it will swiftly die (including fireballs, flaming spheres, and other magical fires).
Faithful of Lurue and Mielikki often sleep the night through in the glade, lying on the bare ground (there are some large, soft patches of moss), in hopes of receiving guidance from their goddess through dream-visions - - and they are often rewarded.
Seven narrow, winding footpaths lead out of the glade in all directions, two plunging deep into the Hullack but the others all eventually circling back to its southern (Thunderflow-bank) edge, and by the power of the goddesses and Silvanus, these always remain clear of brambles and saplings, but are never obvious to the eye; they seem “not to be there” except to creatures actually on them.

So saith Ed. THE master of Realmslore, though he has been delighted to witness the emergence of many others, from Ian Hunter to Jeff Grubb and Steven Schend to Eric Boyd, George Krashos, Elaine Cunningham, Grant Christie, Brian Cortijo, Tom Costa, and others down the years.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29651 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2009 :  04:03:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello All,

Currency taken from other planes is worth what on faerun, Ed can you tell us of any currency of other planes that may have high value in faerun?

Unless the currency is particularly exotic in form, I don't think it would be worth all that much more than any other non-regular foreign currency. A crystalized flame or a platinum piece with a diamond inset would command some serious money as a curiosity, but a gold piece from say Sigil isn't going to be any more impressive than a gold piece from any other distant land in the Realms. At least, that's my take on it.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 123 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000