Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  16:38:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

For non-clerics, what kind of religious icons are used, and how prevalent are they? The lovely Lady Hooded One mentioned the Knights of Myth Drannor having holy symbols or tokens to their patron deities, but I was wondering how common this was. Also, what about non-adventurers? Small home shrines, religious tokens, statues, other artwork, holy symbols, what?

I just have to say that, even from 1st and 2nd edition, a holy symbol was ALWAYS part of my standard adventurer's kit for all of my characters. I always saw it as 'better safe than sorry', and the scene of Beni in The Mummy with all of his holy symbols kinda proved my paranoia...

I've done it with some of my characters, too, though not all of them... It was just that that bit I read got me to thinking about how non-adventurers honor their deities.

Actually Wooly, your query sounds kinda familiar. I could've sworn Ed's discussed something like this previously -- and something not directly related to the Knights. I'll have to check.

I searched my own files, looking specifically for "shrines" and "holy symbols", and didn't really find anything...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  16:58:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I searched my own files, looking specifically for "shrines" and "holy symbols", and didn't really find anything...

Yeah, I'm thinking now it might have been something I asked Ed in a private email back in '07. I'll check my logs.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  17:19:37  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Uh...

Originally posted by Erskine Fincher:

"Dragon Drip is the worst."

Your (human or dwarven) PCs have sexual congress with DRAGONS?

I almost hesitate to ask. Yes, I DO hesitate to ask. And there's no way I'm asking Ed (or the Lady THO!!!!) about such matters. Sheesh.

[Yes, I'm joking.]
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  17:22:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And why not ask me?
After all, I do have much I can reveal.
(First, get your extension ladder and suction cups . . .)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  17:35:57  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
NOW look what you've done!
You had to get her going, didn't you? Now we'll all have to suffer through moments - - moments, I tell you! - - of innuendo!
And (ahem) I'll have to clean up again.
I ALWAYS have to do the cleaning up. Grumble grumble grumble . . .
BB
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  19:34:28  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
And why not ask me?

Most likely because that would result in an answer.

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  19:49:55  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Uh...
quote:

Dragon Drip is the worst.

I almost hesitate to ask. Yes, I DO hesitate to ask. And there's no way I'm asking Ed (or the Lady THO!!!!) about such matters. Sheesh.

Half-dragons have to come from somewhere.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  20:09:29  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Uh...
quote:

Dragon Drip is the worst.

Half-dragons have to come from somewhere.

This is making me really not want to know what the symptoms of Dragon Drip are...
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  20:22:00  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Flaming mucous.
Scaly skin.
Hair loss.
Receding gums.
Changing body temperature.
Iris discoloration.

I'd watch out for the flaming mucous.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  20:23:18  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
And THO, do the Realms even have extension ladders and suction cups? Than seems a little... anachronistic.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  20:41:43  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

And THO, do the Realms even have extension ladders and suction cups? Than seems a little... anachronistic.

are you sure you really want an answer to that??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  20:57:54  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

Flaming mucous.
Scaly skin.
Hair loss.
Receding gums.
Iris discoloration.

Aren't those the same steps in the Dragon Disciple prestige class?

Oooooh.... Now I understand that PC.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  21:06:43  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

Flaming mucous.
Scaly skin.
Hair loss.
Receding gums.
Iris discoloration.

Aren't those the same steps in the Dragon Disciple prestige class?

Oooooh.... Now I understand that PC.

Great, now I'll never play a Dragon Disciple...
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  22:02:08  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message
Its not necessarily flaming mucus... its mucus akin to the any given dragon type's breath weapon. So acidic mucus, flaming mucus, cold mucus, electric mucus, or whatever.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  22:28:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Bah, just use spider climb.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  22:53:15  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
First, Nerfed, I was going for slightly ambiguous, and what would arguably be the least comfortable.

And second, Wooly, eew!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  22:57:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Okay, we seem to be wandering a little away from questions to Ed. Let's get back on topic, eh?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  23:54:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Indeed. Yet that was fun while it lasted.
(As the actress said to the bishop.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  00:19:12  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Right. I have a question for Ed.
What's the last Realms fiction (by someone else, that he's allowed to tell us about) that he's read?
And what other fiction has he read this past week, or is the midst of reading? I recall this was asked some years back in this thread, and I found his answer to be a rich source of "books to look for and read for my pleasure."
So, Ed? Please?
And not to neglect the lovely Lady Hooded: what are YOU currently reading, that you can tell us about?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  00:19:26  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Actually, my query about extension ladders and suction cups was legitimate. So... ah...

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  00:25:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, but Elminster has fetched both into the Realms, courtesy of Ed's generous nature (and the poor locks on his barn doors). And both have been copied and adopted by guilds in Waterdeep and some far-travelled and sharp-eyed merchants in Sembia and Westgate. Extension ladders have recently been seen in Suzail.
Wooden, all of them, mind you, not aluminum like Elminster's borrowed original.
I can attest to this because seeing extension ladders during our Realmsplay became a running joke amongst the players in Ed's "home" Realms campaign. One of many running jokes and little private "gotchas" that we enjoy.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  00:40:39  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Well holy crap.

Does that mean El's got relatively educated knowledge of electronics and what have you?

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  01:23:38  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
My guesses as to the authorship debate: I would have suggested Filfaeril, Tessaril, and Laspeera, but I believe all three have already been put forward. My three guesses, therefore, are:
1) Tanalasta
2) Alusair
3) Jorunhast

And if I've hit the mark with any of these, I'm sure I won't be the only one who is shocked.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  01:40:05  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
Ed and THO: Wonderful lore regarding the Thunderflow. I won't ask any more questions, mostly because I haven't had time to think of any, but hopefully this will give Ed more time to track down answers to those that have already been asked by myself and others.

Many thanks again to Ed and THO for the time they spend both here and in search of answers for us, and to Candlekeep for providing this venue for them to answer our questions.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  02:09:48  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All

Do monks have contest between various schools, like north vs south, friendly contest of course and if yes what is the prize for the winning school/temple?

Another thing, there doesn't seem to be an abundance of monk magic items, perhaps you could name some if not NDA. Do monk orders go out of their way to recover magic items of their culture if they see non-monks with them, perhaps offer bearer something of value for the item? Would orders use force to recover items if bearer refuses to relinquish them, I'm speaking on good-nuetral orders?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  03:29:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. A very short Realmslore reply from Ed this time, in response to Asgetrion’s seventh Thunderstone-and-vicinity question:
“7) Can you give any details about the Realm of Wailing Fog?”
Ed replies:

No.

So saith Ed. Heh. He’s not trying to be nasty or flippant, however; he’s smitten with a firm NDA on this one, and is investigating to see just what he CAN say to you, to provide SOMEthing.
I’ve suggested he give you a “well, if I was DMing the Realms right now, and wanted to head the PCs off from this feature but describe approaching it and experiencing its verges, I would handle it this way” reply, and he agrees that’s a good way to go, IF he can get clearance.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  10:44:43  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
I just had to pop in and offer a belated (somebody had cast bestow curse on the computer) thank you to Ed for answering my Aglarond rich-list question a while back.

Oh. And expect follow-up questions once I'm done reading a month's worth of unopened e-mails

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  11:33:12  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Argh ! You'd think moving the timeline 100 years would lift most of the NDAs.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  13:57:05  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
Lady Hood,
When you say recently extension ladders have been seen in Suzail, do you mean 1360’s or 1470’s?
Also what years was “Filfaeril Bound And Willing” written? (not published) because I was leaning towards Alusair (she was known at court when it was published unless it was published before she could write…and I just find it funny, “Mother would you imagine yourself in this position?” “Only on Thursdays dear.”
And any scribe can answer the second question of course.

Bakra Lord of the Outlying Thread & small nibbles.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 20 Jan 2009 14:00:01
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  15:22:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Bakra, I do mean in the 1360s.
"Filfaeril Bound And Willing" started to make the rounds in 1369.
I LOVE your imagined conversation between Alusair and Filfaeril; it's one that (given their characters) they could easily have when Alusair was old enough (how old is that? That I leave to Ed; Alusair was both uninhibited and aware of the facts of life at a very early age, but as to how long it would take her to overcome her instinctive revulsion/reticence at discussing such matters with her mother, I'm not sure).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000