Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Darkhund
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  16:14:46  Show Profile  Visit Darkhund's Homepage Send Darkhund a Private Message
Dear Ed,

Theres a common theme of Elven and Human ruins scattered about Faerun, but are there any notable Halfling ruins?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  20:03:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Darkhund, your question has been sent off to Ed, but here's something on the topic from his notes, in the meantime:

Human ruins are numerous across the Realms, those of orcs, dwarves, gnomes, elves, and halflings less so.
Elven ruins are sparser thanks to racial numbers and because many elven dwellings were "alive" (trees), and have not survived in any recognizable form. The other races all had many subterranean or "dug out" dwellings, and these have often collapsed, been taken over and enlarged by later users, or built on by humans (gnome and halfling abandoned dwellings especially).

So saith Ed. Who thinks of all things.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  21:21:52  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
Ed,

I was wondering about how many war wizards there are. I began pondering this after reading swords of dragonfire, since a ridiculous number of war wizards got pulverized in that book. I don't think competent wizards grow on trees, so wouldn't the loss of between 30 to 40 war wizards in less than a day(that's my rough estimate on the number of wizard casualties) be considered near catastrophic?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy

Edited by - khorne on 14 Jan 2009 21:22:20
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  02:22:57  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
When I read that scene, I thought it WAS portrayed as catastrophic.
However, that aside, I think Ed's answered questions here at the Keep before, in one of the years of this thread, about the numbers of War Wizards, and losses of 40 (to take your upper end estimate) wouldn't even reduce them to half strength.
A real setback, yes, annihilation of the organization, no. Particularly since some of those casualties almost HAVE to be novices.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  02:25:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time Ed responds to these queries from crazedventurers: “Thanks Ed for more excellent Lore regarding Cormyte nobles and their doings. The depth of detail is easily tranferable to any game and any other kingdom (Faerun or beyond) by tweaking a name or two - just brilliant.
In general are nobles whose lands are on the edge of the Cormyr more 'earthy' (or whatever the Realms equivalent word is) in their doings and manner (they seem to like riding, hunting and fighting a lot etc.) than those in cities (who are perhaps more political and mercantile, or am I stereotyping too much!)? Am wondering if they can be this way because the 'reach of the Court' doesn't stretch that far and/or because the Crown take the view that as long as the nobles keep the borders as safe as possible from monsters, Zhents, brigands and creeping Sembian interests then they are not overly concerned what the country nobles are doing unless it’s extremely bad?
Which leads to another question or three..... I know Cormyr is not Feudal as in real earth history European Feudal, but are Nobles who are stuck out in the wilds expected to keep the borders safe, is that part of the 'deal' that keeps them in their position of nobility?
Are they expected to (can they?) raise their own troop to patrol their lands and/or to support the local Purple Dragons army? If so, do the Crown/Wizards of War turn a blind eye to them raising a 'just larger than required' force of troops that they might use to extend their borders a bit further out into the wilds to secure a mine / forest / farmland / hunting preserve that enriches themselves and not necessarily the Crown or the local subjects? (assume the family are loyal to the Crown and are not raising an army to challenge the Obarskyrs).
(Brian, if you want to chime in with an answer then please feel free)
Thanks once again
Damian
who is off to update his Eveningstar map and file away the differing local names for the stream to confuse his players later”
Ed replies:

Hi, Damian. You’re very welcome. I love doing this, and am always happy to help explore the Realms.
Yes, border nobles (the polite term used in Cormyr is “upcountry nobles” and the less polite one is “backcountry nobles,” which begins a slide into “backcountry bumpkins” and progressively ruder terms) do tend to be more earthy (or “rustic,” which is the more polite disdainful expression) . . . but most of them in return look down on “citified” or “dandified” nobles who “lack all real connection to this great land of ours.”
It’s not out of any blind eye turned by the Crown or the Court, because very few upcountry nobles (except the elderly or ailing) miss any chance to get to Court in Suzail for important Councils, feasts, receptions, and times of important decision-making (which their own house wizards, the local lords and Crown heralds, and local Purple Dragon commanders all take great care to keep them all informed about, because the last thing any occupier of the Dragon Throne wants is unrest among nobles because something happened “behind their backs” because they weren’t told about something that was going on).
It’s simply because they spend more time hunting, riding on woodland trails or trysting out in open countryside or otherwise “taking the air” and enjoying simple pleasures (bobbing for apples, anyone? dancing with village lasses at various farming “fests”?) than do nobles who keep to Suzail and concern themselves with gossip, intrigue, investments (and lather, rinse, and repeat).
It IS true that nobles who help police border areas are allowed more leeway in deeds and speech than a city-dwelling noble would be, because local Purple Dragons know them better and know the scant resources and the problems (brigands, roving monsters, Sembian and Zhent and other organized subversive forces) they and the Dragons themselves face, and (to use a modern real-world term) “cut them some slack” because of this. It’s also true that for years Vangerdahast secretly pursued a policy of letting everyone think his vigilance was sadly lacking “out in the upcountry,” so nobles would “get up to things” (often using their hunting lodges for meetings, as certain nobles did in SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE) and thereby reveal something of their plots and how energetic and committed their opposition to the Crown (if any) really was. It gave his War Wizards something to work with - - and a place to practice using nasty spells on bad guys in a way that would have set any of the three cities of the Realm into rioting, if repeatedly done in their streets.
All nobles are responsible for policing (as in, seeing that Crown law is not ignored, and applied selectively) their own lands (though locally-stationed Purple Dragons and the everpresent War Wizards also do so, as well as watching over the nobles to see how well they do it; the various “local lords” installed by the Crown are largely there to apply justice to the servants and property and minor actions of nobles, and to give commoners someone “objective” to appeal to, if they think nobles are abusing their rights and powers). In border areas, yes, this means resident or property-owning nobles help pay for the militia and see to it that a goodly number (it varies; the local lord will tell them if he thinks they’re shirking) of their servants are part of the local militia and trained and equipped accordingly (these skills should benefit the nobles, too, in case any of their buildings or lands come under attack). In times of declared war, the Crown has the legal right to demand any noble contribute trained and equipped warriors (or mounts and supplies and a large amount of coin in lieu) to the cause; often loyalty is measured in whether or not the nobles themselves (or at least their young and vigorous sons or nephews or even nieces and daughters) “take up saddle and sword” and fight alongside the Crown forces.
This indeed resembles real-world nobles’ duties, but of course where the comparison to feudalism breaks down is in land ownership and the status of commoners. Cormyr is far more like a modern “First World” or “Western” democracy (no serfs or villeins or slaves, genders legally equal, etc.) than medieval real-world feudalism. (Tenant farmers, yes, but they are free to move on and there are strict limits on what any noble can command any commoner to do; except privately, within a family, it’s very hard for a noble - - or anyone else in Cormyr - - to legally get anyone into a situation of “slavery in all but name”).
So, yes, a noble legally can (and are expected to) raise strictly-limited private armies, as personal bodyguards and to defend their homes and other properties. They are expected to lead them, or at least send them, to aid local Purple Dragons (under the command of said Dragons or another ranking Crown official like a senior War Wizard, NOT under their own command, though again, many nobles hold or are given temporary Dragon “battlefield ranks” in the event of war or widespread armed strife). However, arming too many men, and/or sending them to do things that may have something to do with protecting their noble master’s interests or settling his/her feuds, but NOT with directly proftecting the noble’s person (or that of his kin or undisputed property) is a serious crime that will almost always be met with War Wizards immediately casting spells on the men and the noble, and imprisoning them all to await the “justic and pleasure of the King” (or Regent, or ruling Queen; in practice, Vangey often decided things before the Obarskyrs found out, and Bhereu and Thomdor were also trusted to speak for the King). So amassing too many men gets them called a “private army” and that’s bad, but sending servant after servant for full and regular refresher weapons-training and fitting them with armour and arms personally suited to them is good.
Nobles have always (in fact, constantly) tried to arm too many private soldiers and use them to patrol and then use larger and larger border areas, with a fair degree of success (land with structures on it is obvious, but ranching land dotted with small plantings of crops could be the work of someone who “just moved on,” or “the monsters just got ’em” . . . and who’s to tell when a noble’s servant trained to weapons like a good militia member is part of that noble’s private army, or not?).
That’s why house wizards were installed - - and the War Wizards keyed on mindscrying the few house wizards that particular nobles insisted on choosing, rather than having a War Wizard as a house wizard; it was to prevent nobles (such as the usual malcontents in Marsember and Arabel) from quietly assembling dangerously large private armies, or annexing great amounts of territory without requesting (and paying for) formal title.
So minor expansions, yes, particularly if the nobles build or improve roads, but if they then fence off those roads, or become too greedy, Vangerdahast and an Obarskyr (or in later days, Alusair and Caladnei and a large bunch of other War Wizards and Purple Dragons) will pay the offending noble a “friendly visit” at which they’ll be bluntly but privately told their activities have been noticed, and will cease if they desire to retain their heads. If the noble then remains friendly, so will the Crown. However, the noble has been reminded that they are being watched, and will receive subtle later reminders, too (reports from house wizards, sightings of groups of War Wizards strolling through the noble’s land examining wells and granaries and barracks, servants being politely questioned, et cetera).
Heh. Hope this is of help.

So saith Ed. Ongoing and enthusiastic creator of Cormyr and all of this fun!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  07:41:18  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO!

I know a lot of 'Cormyr'-related questions are being answered atm. Maybe there is a chance that you'll answer yet one more:

What would the real estate prices have been like in Arabel before and after the Dragon War? Compared to maybe Eveningstar (most like cheaper), Suzail and/or Marsember.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Best Regards, Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 15 Jan 2009 07:46:53
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  10:28:54  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,

I hate to pile on another question impatiently, but I'm excited about this one (I an easily excitable fellow.) The Knights of Myth Drannor were probably quite high on the Zhentarim enemies list. While many of them were given a good personal thumping by the Knights, most never actually fought them. How were they viewed by the rank and file of the Zhents? What did they believe to be true about the Knights ?

Edited by - RodOdom on 15 Jan 2009 10:31:41
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  15:21:13  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message
Hello to Ed and THO,

I've been reading some excellent information on Randal Morn provided by Ed in a previous column. I was wondering, though, if he could provide dates for some of the events. To wit:

The year of Flars' birth.
The year that Flars retook Daggerdale.
The year that Randal was born.
The year that Silver was born.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php

Edited by - ErskineF on 15 Jan 2009 18:10:42
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  15:32:24  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Some related questions for you: do you envisage Arabel having extensive cellars, underground passages (secret or otherwise), and wells? How high is the water table under the city? If someone tried to enlarge their cellar, how far could they go before they broke into a sewer or water pipe or some other subterranean open space? What if they tried to dig a small secret passage across an interior (not near the walls or civic buildings) street, linking the cellar of one building with the cellar of another?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  16:42:02  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Vendui to The Hooded One!

While reading The Sword Never Sleeps I noted that some creatures apparently have a "technical term" as well as something else, a "common" name (in that region?). Example in this case was the dirlagraun, "displacer beasts most mages called them".
Now (for some reason) I remembered the lengthy article by Ed about the different names for the "ladies of easy leisure" within Realmspace and I wondered whether some classes would actually have regional / racial names too. While most sorts of fighters or barbarians would simply go as "warriors" (not the NPC class of the DMG, but, of course, just the folk of the axe- and sword-wielding profession), many clerics or hierophants et al as "priests", wizards, necromancers and sorcerers as "mages" or "sorcerers" (again, more with regards to the profession than the class denomination). But what of this more "specialized" or "mysterious" ilk, like the warlocks (Complete Arcane), hexblades (Complete Warrior) or duskblades (elven fighter/mage-style people described in the PHB II, all, incidently, 3,5E)? Even if they do not all have dirlagraun-style FR names, are their more denominations for these people than thief, warrior, priest and mage? I would assume Old Grey Beard can give us a list of 20odd such FR names without even starting to think, can he not?

Aluve, Zanan!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 15 Jan 2009 16:44:48
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  00:17:08  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all. This time Ed responds to queries on border nobles......
Heh. Hope this is of help.
So saith Ed. Ongoing and enthusiastic creator of Cormyr and all of this fun!
love to all,
THO

Very much so, it dovetails very nicely into previous answers you have given here (e.g. land rights - commoners vs Nobles, amongst others).

Thank you Ed (and the lovely THO)

Kind regards

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  01:54:24  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
This time Ed responds to this recent query from Menelvagor: “Was this “Filfaeril Bound And Willing” ever mentioned before? And how did the Crown and Fee react (publicly and privately, please) to this? Did they even read it? (I can guess at its contents, so no need to ask about that)”
Ed replies:

I have mentioned it in the drafts of several Cormyr-set novels, as one of those “in jokes” that the editors used to enjoy reading privately, and then prune before publication. By which I mean: they and I both knew such snippets were never going to see print, but I wrote them for fun (back in the dear dawn days of TSR, and up until quite recently at Wizards, one of the editors would discover such a screed, have a laugh over it, then print it out, stand on her chair in cubicle-land, clear her throat loudly, and then read the said steamy scene out loud for everyone.
It provided a few moments of amusement for most of the Books Department folks, and those who needed to concentrate hard whilst editing and didn’t want to hear it were already hooked up to iPods or similar headphone and earbud devices that walled them away from such distractions.
In those unpublished (“suppressed” if you will, but with my agreement and expectation that they would be edited out), I mentioned this specific fictitious salacious work as one in which Purple Dragons would laugh over, and then get very red-faced when Queen Filfaeril strolled past them as they stood guard together, AND as something court ladies or noblewomen would gossip and titter about - - and then subside into shocked silence when Queen Fee came upon them quickly and joined their conversation about it.
Publicly and officially, the Crown ignored the work, except to ban its possession by any Purple and Blue Dragon (something deliberately not enforced in private dwellings, only within guardposts, armories, barracks, naval bases, and fortresses such as High Horn) and to send undercover courtiers around the cities of Suzail, Marsember, and Arabel to quietly buy up all the copies they could find, and “disappear” them. The Court Wizard (Vangerdahast) then issued a decree that the said work contained “dangerous hidden magics that would enact a curse upon the reader,” and banned its printing or copying out by hand, within the realm of Cormyr.
Publicly (aside from face to face meetings with individual nobles, as described above) Filfaeril ignored the existence of the work. It would be considered a grave breach of Court etiquette to mention its title to any Obarskyr, though personal friends of various royals know when they can ignore Court etiquette and when they should follow it. Filfaeril herself told some (shocked) noblewomen that she’d “quite enjoyed it,” and “hoped to read a sequel, and see what further fancies the clever, clever author could IMAGINE.” Tanalasta was too embarrassed to ever mention it to any of her fellow Obarskyrs (though a War Wizard reported to Vangerdahast that he found a copy under her mattress during his usual secret “checking for dangers” inspection, as well as finding copies in the possession of several personal maids and ladies-in-waiting to all three female Obarskyrs), Alusair discussed it frankly with both her mother and father (separately), Filfaeril and Azoun do indeed share a copy and have read it separately and together - - and have tried some of the scenes described therein together. Neither of them is inhibited, and as the ruling royals, THEY decide and set the morals of the realm, not the other way round (unlike in our real world, there aren’t sole dominant clergies in Cormyr, and therefore the royal family isn’ beholden to the opinion of this or that priest as to what’s “good” or “proper” or “appropriate” behaviour, because the many differing views of the many differing priesthoods offset each other, as it were.
In other words, the rumours that Filfaeril enjoyed the work are true.
The rumor that Bannermere wrote “Filfaeril Bound And Willing” is not true. The author IS someone long known at Court in Cormyr, but I think it’s time for some fun; I’ll leave it to scribes to guess the identity of the author, here in this thread, and give no hints - - but I WILL confirm when someone guesses right (and say so when a guess is wrong). To avoid repetitive “carpet bombing” guessing, let’s limit it to three guesses per scribe. So, stare at all those Cormyrean faces, and ask yourself: who’s secretly naughty, with pen in hand?

So saith Ed. Ho ho! Unleash the fun, indeed! consider yourself challenged, scribes!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  03:30:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Thanks for sharing that with us.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  04:08:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Hmmmmm...

Here's my three guesses (and probably the most improbably obvious):

Alaphondar, Royal Sage of Cormyr
Giogioni Wyvernspur

and...

(damn, I can't resist it. I honestly don't think he did, but someone's got to say it and I can't think of someone more unlikely than him...)

Vangerdahast

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  04:41:05  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed can you give us a little lore on the Malaugrym, I'm rereading "All Shadows Fled" and you portrayed many of the younger shadowmasters as having very little knowledge of faaerun people, culture and customs.

This raised some questions for me which may have already been asked and answered by you, sorry if thats the case.

Can Malaugrym only impregnate full humans or can they impreganate females of any race?

Is the offspring part Malaugrym or full Malugrym, like can you explain how their blood works on mortals in faerun?

More importantly to me, say a human woman births a child that is of maluag blood but no one comes for this child for first 20 years of his life, is his nature determined by his blood or the life he experiences? Is he going to become evil despite how he is brought up and his own personal code of ethics because of his bloodline?

Will he instinctively learn how to shapechange on his own if never taught by another Malaugrym?

Basically are there Malaugrym on faerun who don't know they are Malaugrym and live "normal" lives and are left alone by those who do know what they are?

Can Malaugrym always find those of Malaug blood, perhaps an ability possessed by the Shadowmasters High to prevent extinction?

Do they only produce male children and if so, why?

Edited by - createvmind on 16 Jan 2009 04:43:18
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  06:00:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Createvmind, you might want to check Ed's compiled replies, I could of swore he's answered these in the past. :) Maybe in replies about shape change and birthing/offspring.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  06:16:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Createvmind, you might want to check Ed's compiled replies, I could of swore he's answered these in the past. :) Maybe in replies about shape change and birthing/offspring.

Yeah, Kuje is on the mark. I can recall some of those replies as well, though they're scattered across several of the compiled reply files.

I'll pick out a few of the more applicable replies tonight.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Scarbeard
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  08:14:00  Show Profile  Visit Scarbeard's Homepage Send Scarbeard a Private Message
First, thank you for the fun reads, the Realms in general, and the many questions and comments that abound on these boards. Good stuff.

Now to questions...

Any hint on the whereabouts of the dragonstaff of Ahghairon? Or even its master, Maaril the Dragon Mage, or is all cloaked under the devilry of NDA's after his tower rocketed into the skies?

With Waterdeep's navy in the drink and relying mostly on the graces of Mintran warships for defense, would you guess an increase in pirate activities throughout the Wailing Years? Even more, threats from spell-scarred monsters or even the creepings of the Abolethic Sovereignty (though I know they're mostly in the Sea of Fallen Stars) may tax the resources of protecting merchant vessels and the shores of Waterdeep, giving rise to perhaps the hiring of privateers and such to bolster the Mintarn navy. I'm not very knowledgeable on Mintarn's sea might, but just how dangerous is the Sea of Swords now and has it stifled trade? Is this why Waterdeep scuttled its ships, not having the funds to keep a fleet maintained, and instead hiring out with trade pacts and such?

Thanks for your time,

Cheers from the dirty dwarf
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  09:26:55  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Alaphondar, Royal Sage of Cormyr

That was the first name that popped into my head as well

Cheers

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  11:31:57  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
King Azoun himself? He's the only guy who can't be punished for writing it !
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  12:11:00  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
I have little knowledge of Cormyrian people, but picking from a few names : Valantha Shimmerstar.
Apparently mischievous, and it would be very much Ed if the writer was a woman.
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  13:50:08  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
quote:

In those unpublished (“suppressed” if you will, but with my agreement and expectation that they would be edited out), I mentioned this specific fictitious salacious work as one in which Purple Dragons would laugh over, and then get very red-faced when Queen Filfaeril strolled past them as they stood guard together

Everyday the two of you bring us more fun little facts like this is a day I enjoy the realms a little more than the previous. Not only does it make the world seem that much more alive but I think it teaches one to be a better DM.

Lets all hope that one of these days some of these "suppressed" works will make it to the web for our amusement as well.

Thank you both.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  16:33:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Oh yes, my guesses!

Elminster?

Storm?

Tessaril Winter?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  16:52:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Is it our favorite dealer of turret tops?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  17:17:04  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Is it our favorite dealer of turret tops?

LOL - that was the 2nd name to pop into my head.

Am pondering this one - nice Quiz Ed!

Cheers

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  19:03:25  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
I'm going to guess that lady envoy from Silverymoon, from Ed's SWORDS trilogy. Can't remember her name just now, but I'm guessing her, just the same.
Or Laspeera. Hey, it could be Laspeera!
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  19:25:38  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message
When the contest is done, could Ed please oblige us with a few examples of chapbooks or "proper" books, fiction or poetry or treatises, penned by any of the characters various scribes have put forward as candidates?
I'm not looking for an exhaustive list, I'd just like to know if any of these people, in-game, have written and published anything, and get a few sample titles. We hear lots about monsters (or other humans) slain by adventurers, spells hurled and daring deeds done, but not so much about writers. Scibes, yes, writers, no.
My heart would be warmed by the thought of, say, Filfaeril or Laspeera or King Azoun sitting down to write something. (And yes, I recall that Storm has written works; I was more interested in non-Chosen.)
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  20:07:30  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message
I'm in the process of running a "as many FR adventures in the same campaign as possible" campaign, which has led to me bumping the start date to 1340 DR, so that I can start with Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Adventure.

One of the PCs is a Paladin of Ilmater, who is a member of House Cormaeril in Cormyr. Despite being mentioned and used in a lot of fiction, I can't find much information on them for that era. I would really like to know who was head of the house and who the more public members of the house were at the time.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  20:14:37  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
The rumor that Bannermere wrote �Filfaeril Bound And Willing� is not true. The author IS someone long known at Court in Cormyr, but I think it�s time for some fun; I�ll leave it to scribes to guess the identity of the author, here in this thread, and give no hints - - but I WILL confirm when someone guesses right (and say so when a guess is wrong). To avoid repetitive �carpet bombing� guessing, let�s limit it to three guesses per scribe. So, stare at all those Cormyrean faces, and ask yourself: who�s secretly naughty, with pen in hand.

I name said roguish miscreant Garen Thal, your honors!

Steven
who's now got a ditty stuck in his head from the old AD&D Comic book....

PS: "The queen of Cormyr has ten consorts, we hear...."

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2009 :  20:38:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Steven, you rogue, you!
Rhewtani, I believe the paucity of information on the Cormaerils is due to one of them being a PC in one of Ed's long-running library campaigns, and so you might not get much more out of Ed.
So far as I can recall, said PC was Beliard Cormaeril, and was a bastard son of Azoun.
Ed has, I believe, given lore replies here at the Keep in the past that have mentioned the Cormaerils.
Sage? Wooly? Kuje? (I hate to always cry out for assistance, guys, but the search and display powers of the computer I usually use to access the Keep are severely limited.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000