Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  14:56:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

But I have another question: are there any writing concerning the schism between Khelben and the Harpers, which led to the formation of the Moonstars? If not, could we have some information regardingit? I know what the schism was about, but how did the Chosen deal with it? Did it make them grow distant for a time?

The Schism itself happened in Cloak & Dagger -- the last 2E FR supplement, and in my opinion, one of the best. This is where almost all of the info about the Schism is.
Steven Schend has, however, elaborated on a few points concerning the Schism, here at Candlekeep. They're required reading for any Realms fans who have an interest in how this particular plot hook may have developed further.

The relevant replies can be accessed through the "So Saith Ed" archives.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2009 :  22:08:16  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed has detailed ways of repairing Dead Magic and Wild Magic areas by non-chosen been written by you anywhere, there is an order of paladins in 'Champions of Valor' who supposedly take on this challenege and are not followers of Mystra or Azuth.
These paladins actaully serve Torm so then I assume the manner in which they repair weave would be different, and being paladins first would likely mean far limited access to magic. Have you a take or any knowledge of this or could whip something up?

Thanks as always
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  00:27:45  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
A query for Ed, if I may.
The setting: a Realms campaign centered on Highmoon, in Deepingdale. If the Spellplague comes, how soon will it have dramatic local effects, in your opinion (and what would those initial effects be), and how long might it be "bad news from elsewhere" that might cause refugees, or good shortages, or the like in Highmoon, but not much else?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  04:03:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
There was an intial 'wave' that basically rolled across everything on Toril, but did so haphazardly, the moment Mystra perished. The effects were EXTREMELY random and chaotic, so it could have been anywhere from an entire nation blowing up (Halrua), to everyone in town getting 'the hives'.

Then there were a series of 'aftershocks' - various sporadic 'eruptions' of cerulean energy throughout the world, almost on a daily basis for the first couple of weeks, to once or twice a week for the next few months, until there was only several a year after the first year... and then nothing (or nearly so) after a decade.

I say "nearly so" because you still get spontaneous Wild-magic flare-ups here and there, but usually nothing on the scale that was seen in that first holocaustal decade. Most of that was gleened from answers given here and over at WotC (I believe Rich Baker was the one that said things calmed down A LOT after the first ten years).

We also have the Plague-changed Lands, which are akin to 2e's Wild Magic zones (coupled with Red Steel's mutanagenic effects), which are permanent in nature, and are like little 'Spellplagues' going off all the time.

Thats as much official detail as your likely to get, because it is up to you (the DM) to decide whats what in your 1479 DR Realms.

And now I'm going to create a naked lich that sews pockets into his skin, just to be contrary.

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So saith Ed. Who will have more to say soon, I'm thinking as I look at my inbox.
love to all,
THO

May I, too, perchance have a peek, M'Lady?

I am SO very interested in your SHE-mail.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Mar 2009 04:06:10
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2009 :  19:20:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ed, I'm am currently trying to get the FR map as precise as possible to the original. In your response to my query about Aralent, I noted you metioned that the FRA by Karen Fonstad (a MUCH-treasured resource) is the closest to your original ever officially published, so I have been gleening it for every scrap I can find.

While studying The North, I noted something peculiar - a lake in the Evermoors! It appears on pgs. 62-63 (and is repeated again on 64-65). This lake does not appear on any other maps, including others in the same book - was this part of your original?

I've managed to find three forests and a slew of tiny lakes that were dropped between 2e and 3e, but this is the only place I have seen a lake in the Evermoors (and I even went back and checked all the 1e maps, in case it was dropped when 2e came around). I also read ever source on it, from 1e-3e, and no mention of any lake therein.

Thanks --- Mark

P.S. - and since it appears in an official source, I am going to add it regardless (it looks cool there), so I guess what I'm really looking for is some sort of name for it if it was 'yours'.

And while I'm asking for names - there is a small 'clump' of Mounatains NW of the Citadel of the Raven (not the White Mountains north of The Ride - I already found that name).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Mar 2009 19:31:27
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  01:37:22  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Tantam Ed and THO!

Ed, an interesting discussion here about the Risen Sun Heresy has sparked a couple of questions please.

Question 1:
The Tripartite Sun God: Can I ask, was this part of the home Realms game, or was it Eric playing creatively in the sandbox of the published Realms?

Question 2:
Going back to the OGBS (with some additional lore from Faiths and Avatars) there seems to be several 'three' themes related to deities, to whit:
Risen Sun - Lathander, Amaunator and the unknown Dusk God (I prefer Jergal but Myrkul seems favoured by most)
The Triad - Tyr, Torm and Ilmater
The Gods of Fury - Auril, Umberlee and Malar
The Gods of Knowledge - Oghma, Deneir and Milil
The Jergal Three - Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul
The Moon Three? - Selune, Shar and Mystral/Mystra (born of the two?)
The Nature Gods - Silvanus, Mielikki and Eldath

Was the 'Three Deities together' a deliberate design choice of yours when putting together the Realms pantheon? (or am I making tenuous connections and shoe-horning gods into a thoery that is ridiculous?)

Thanks

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  02:32:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Thanks, Damian. Off to Ed these questions go.
Myself, I think the answer to Question 1 is that this is Eric's baby (with Ed's approval, of course; Mr. Boyd always called Ed about such things, because he's a friend and a professional, and because he cares deeply about the Realms and knows full well a tapestry turns out better when everyone working on it knows and agrees on details here and there, and some end results.
I suspect some of the trios of gods (such as the Triad) were named by Eric and George Krashos, guiding others into thinking and writing of those deities in that manner. Some of the trios (Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul, the nature trio, and the Gods of Knowledge, for example) were definitely linked that way by Ed, from the beginning.
Hmm; I know we're straying into territory Ed likes to keep mysterious so as to give DMs maximum freedom (he has said a time or two that the game should "handle religion softly so as to leave players and DMs, who are real people who may well have very real religious beliefs, the maximum comfort in tailoring 'their' Realms for their own best enjoyment"). I'm quoting here from some design notes he wrote in 1979, BTW.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  02:38:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all, again.
Markustay, I'm looking at one of my old player's maps (Ed used to hand these out on occasion during play, with some features "known" and labelled and correctly mapped, others mapped but not named, and blank spots where our knowledge didn't extend to), and there's definitely a lake in the Evermoors in a 1981-or-so map Ed drew. So it's "in his original." No name, of course, because our characters didn't go there then, and I can't yet find the later, more extensive maps we were issued after we found a hidden cache of maps in Scornubel and became "sort-of experts" on that region.
So we'll see what Ed says, but yes, it IS his (pre-published-Realms) lake.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  04:18:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Wonderful.

It appears Ms. Fonstad had access to Ed's maps, or at least the ones he sent-off to TSR, rather then just relying on other's earlier works (which I've noted leads to countles multiple-edition errors). She was simply amazing.

The North is getting Northier by the minute.

Thanks for that - I feel better about adding it now.

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Mar 2009 02:56:11
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  14:31:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes, TSR provided Karen with photocopies of every map Ed had sent in to them (until they cried halt, when they ran out of empty cubicles to pile all the stuff Ed was sending up in), plus copies of all of their own generated-for-adventure-modules maps. She created the rest by meticulously reading all of the novels and adventures and working out travel times and therefore distances, etc.
Over the years since, Ed has provided TSR (and later Wizards) with many more maps, though they have tended to be of small locales or cities (Crimmor, Tarmalune) rather than larger regions. Ed's preferred mapping style is akin to Fonstad (mountains are drawn in, in a perspective view, imparting some "feel" for the land), but he does professional-quaity topographical maps when he has the time and inclination, and delivered at least one of these, of an orc-infested mountain pass, for SILVER MARCHES (it wasn't used).
Ms. Fonstad is, of course, justly famous for her atlases of the works of Tolkien, McCaffrey, and Donaldson, among others. She attended one of the Milwaukee GenCons as a guest, but unfortunately passed away some years ago.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  14:55:42  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
While on the topic of maps. The Hooded Lady was kind enough to describe the Stonelands to us in another thread recently. And suggested asking further questions here.

I am curious if Irongard's location in the Interactive Atlas is correct? I now know the Stonelands is a lose term but I imagined Irongard much closer to Eveningstar, the Atlas has it placed east past Arabel. Markustay's map has the Forgotten Keep near Eveningstar which looks correct. I know in an earlier post it was stated that the two were very close about a quarter day if one knew the way.

I am looking forward to running Irongard for the first in the near future with a group very new to D&D.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2009 :  15:56:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
Lady THO,

If you would please convey my heart-felt thanks for Ed's introduction to my novel Downshadow? I just received my author's copies and read his kind and extremely flattering words.

He is truly a prince.

Cheers

P.S. And anyone with doubts about the existence and role of powerful women in the 4e FR has only to read this novel. Just sayin'.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  02:55:23  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
I look forward to reading Downshadow. I loved Mistshore, and Blackstaff Tower.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  03:03:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Over the last three years, I've had to make many 'sacrifices' as far as scale and distances, and also some locales were just too close together to show both (such as the Forgotten Keep and Irongaurd).

With the new, higher resolution, I should be able to add-in a LOT more locales I've discovered.

Edit: And this from another thread -
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Oh, and our first 'official' look at Halruaa was here:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/tsrnewsletter.pdf

Are the Aglarond and Halruua maps Ed's originals? (similarly is the Simbul sketch an Ed original?)

Yep, they were original "Ed maps".

I've tried blowing that Map of Halruaa up, but the res is too poor - Once I get around to re-doing that region, I may need to ask Ed what some of these are (although it looks like I got most of them already).

BTW - What product did that come with?

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Mar 2009 03:21:56
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  05:18:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
It was material that was originally slated for the Ol' Grey Box but cut for space.

It ended up in the "Secrets of the Sages" newsletter (a one-off) headed up by Bryon Wischstadt (one of the original fan lorelords of the Realms). His idea to provide a fan-organised and produced FR newsletter as an adjunct to the officially published products unfortunately didn't receive ongoing support.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  15:11:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thanks for the info... but I still don't know WHERE it appeared.

I'm thinking it looks a bit 'early' to have been on the Net, so I'm thinking it either came in a box, or was given out at a con.

And I'v also just checked it against mine, and there is one locale missing as far as I can tell - a small setlement that looks like "Assunzmim" on the coast to the east.... but I'm sure that can't be right.

So my question now is, what the heck is it supposed to be?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  16:21:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm thinking it looks a bit 'early' to have been on the Net, so I'm thinking it either came in a box, or was given out at a con.

It was a mailed-out newsletter. The tale (and another link to the file) are here:
Secrets of the Sages: The Long-Lost 1988 Forgotten Realms Newsletter

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  20:10:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Wow... they actually went as far as mailing stuff to their customers to keep them well-informed about Faerūn?

DAMN... how times have changed.

Anyway, I'm picking my way through SotM ATM, so I'm sure I'll have a slew of Geographic questions again by Monday.

Actually, come to think of it, I have one now (that others here are more then welcome to answer to save Ed some time) - Where is Greentree Haven?

I had assumed it was in the High Forest, but I'm not seeing it - do we have any lore on this site?

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  21:53:50  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Yeah, I really miss TSR. *sigh*

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  22:21:57  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Yeah, I really miss TSR. *sigh*

Too bad they did themselves in. Wasn't it mainly the fault of a female version of Voldemort? O'course, I could be completely wrong here (wouldn't be the first time).

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  23:16:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It was a mailed-out newsletter. The tale (and another link to the file) are here:
Secrets of the Sages: The Long-Lost 1988 Forgotten Realms Newsletter

Indeed. And I was lucky enough to receive one all the way here in Australia. But that was largely thanks to a US relative who had two copies of the newsletter.

Heh. Halruaa then became a featured adventuring location in my Realms of '89.

Wow. It's almost hard to believe that was nearly 20 years ago.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2009 :  23:34:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Actually, come to think of it, I have one now (that others here are more then welcome to answer to save Ed some time) - Where is Greentree Haven?
Hmmm... I don't immediately recall it's location being referenced anywhere else other than in Krash's "the North" timeline:- '... Greentree Haven, an enchanted grove in the wilderlands of the Sword Coast North.' Though I think that comes from the Secrets of the Magister tome itself.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  02:48:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
That tome mentioned it being in a 'Vast Wood', and although several forests in The North could be described that way, the High Forest certainly jumps to mind first. That bit in SotM also mentioned it makes an 'appearance' in Silverfall (which I haven't read, unfortunately) - Dove goes there to dance (aren't there any good clubs on HER side of the Anauroch?!)

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Mar 2009 16:48:26
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  04:24:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Hmmm... It's been a while since I've read it, so I'll flick through Silverfall later tonight. Maybe Ed, or another FR designer, could elaborate on this in the meantime.

Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  04:54:46  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
Heh heh heh.

...Vast Wood.

THO, back when he was starting out, who did Mr. Greenwood count among his influences? Now that he's a veteran in his field(s), from what does he draw inspiration and to whom does he hope to act as a role model?

All the best,
Wolfram

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  14:19:10  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
There is no real location or name given for the place where Dove dances, but Mirt walked there on foot (when in poor health), so it can't be too far from Waterdeep.
Depending on what you define as 'Vast', alternatives for the High Forest could be Kryptgarden or Ardeep.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2009 :  16:54:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Actually, ANY forest appearing on the continental map could be considered vast, so yeah... it could be anywhere...

As for the name of the place where Dove dances - Silverfall is referenced in the Greentree Haven entry in Secrets of the Magister as being that place. Unfortunately, aside form saying the woods "grew around the enchanted grove", it does't say much else (which leads me to believe it couldn't be the High Forest or Kryptgarden - probably someplace much newer and smaller).

Ed- ignore my last query about that city in Halruaa - its called Assundath (it was on the map that came with Hordes of Dragonspear, weirdly enough).

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Mar 2009 15:17:59
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  01:11:16  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hi. I've been at the Ad Astra convention, sitting in on some delightful panels (all of which had Ed as a panelist, as well as some delightful sf and fantasy pros and fans). Must correct something in this thread:
Bryon Wischstadt wanted to do his own FR newsletter, tentatively entitled REALMSPEAK, that TSR nixed.
Well before that, the SECRETS OF THE SAGES newsletter was edited for TSR by David Martin (who lined up some other issues, all of "cutting room floor" Realmslore that we later saw snuck into various FR products). The newsletter was indeed killed after the first issue for lack of funds and printing press time (this was in the days before TSR briefly owned its own means of printing).
This info comes from Ed and others in various GenCon seminars, from years gone by. I know this is right because Mr. Martin was on one of those panels with various TSR staffers and Ed, who would surely have corrected him if the info was wrong.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2009 :  19:25:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Markustay, Ed confirms that Greentree Haven is JUST inside the outermost trees on the western verges of northwesternmost Ardeepforest (or, if you prefer the later name, "Ardeep Forest").
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  01:18:19  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message
Ed, is it true that The Simbul was raised and apprentaced by the Wychlaran before she became an apprentice to the former ruler of Aglarond (or was she the ruler's apprentice?)? If so, how long did that go on and is there any lore written on that subject? Is there ANYTHING, like a biography of the Simbul's early life, childhood and rise to power, or anything like that? I'd appreciate any clarification that any one could give me.

Thinking about it deeper, it would explain her battlerages she fell into before she and Elminster became involved, being raised by witches that rule a land of berserker's. I know that when Elminster first encountered her, he didn't know she was one of the Seven and almost killed her. But, what was the circumstances that led to her herritage being unknown. The Simbul has always been my second favorite Realms character and I know less about her than I'd like to.

Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000