Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  02:07:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Archmagus Brandon

Ed, is it true that The Simbul was raised and apprentaced by the Wychlaran before she became an apprentice to the former ruler of Aglarond (or was she the ruler's apprentice?)? If so, how long did that go on and is there any lore written on that subject? Is there ANYTHING, like a biography of the Simbul's early life, childhood and rise to power, or anything like that? I'd appreciate any clarification that any one could give me.

Thinking about it deeper, it would explain her battlerages she fell into before she and Elminster became involved, being raised by witches that rule a land of berserker's. I know that when Elminster first encountered her, he didn't know she was one of the Seven and almost killed her. But, what was the circumstances that led to her herritage being unknown. The Simbul has always been my second favorite Realms character and I know less about her than I'd like to.

Thanks in advance!

The Seven Sisters sourcebook has a lot of info on all of the histories of the... well.. the Seven Sisters. :) But you could also find info on some of their backgrounds in Heroes Lorebook. Or, for the Simbul, you could look in the Spellbound box set and or Unapproachable East.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  02:18:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Ed, is it true that The Simbul was raised and apprentaced by the Wychlaran before she became an apprentice to the former ruler of Aglarond (or was she the ruler's apprentice?)? If so, how long did that go on and is there any lore written on that subject? Is there ANYTHING, like a biography of the Simbul's early life, childhood and rise to power, or anything like that? I'd appreciate any clarification that any one could give me.

Thinking about it deeper, it would explain her battlerages she fell into before she and Elminster became involved, being raised by witches that rule a land of berserker's. I know that when Elminster first encountered her, he didn't know she was one of the Seven and almost killed her. But, what was the circumstances that led to her herritage being unknown. The Simbul has always been my second favorite Realms character and I know less about her than I'd like to.

Thanks in advance!

The Seven Sisters sourcebook has a lot of info on all of the histories of the... well.. the Seven Sisters. :) But you could also find info on some of their backgrounds in Heroes Lorebook. Or, for the Simbul, you could look in the Spellbound box set and or Unapproachable East.

The Seven Sisters does indeed cover this aspect of Alassra's early life, and her rearing by Oraumae, a witch of Rashemen.

And along with the other sources Kuje mentioned, you might also want to check out the chapter on the Simbul in Ed's Silverfall novel -- as it appropriately captures much of her mindset and a little about her history too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  02:31:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring you this, from Ed of the Greenwood, to Erik Scott de Bie (after I conveyed Erik's "heart-felt thanks for Ed's introduction to my novel Downshadow? I just received my author's copies and read his kind and extremely flattering words. He is truly a prince. Cheers."):

Erik, I mean every word of it, and more. My chief personal delight in the published Realms is when I get to read great new stories set in "my" world (now, of course, really "our" world) that I didn't write. I LOVED Downshadow.
(Actually, I've loved all of the books I've read thus far in this series, though all in quite different ways. Jaleigh's City of the Dead is magnificent and great fun, too, but it's very different from Downshadow.)
So you EARNED all that praise, my friend, and I hope you get many more chances, in the Realms and in your own fantasy settings, from other publishers, to earn a lot more. If you write something that I can walk into a bookstore and order or pluck off the shelf a copy of, I'll be buying and hurrying home to read. Just as I always hurry home to read Elaine's stuff, Realms or not, and - -
No, I'm NOT going to start in on the long, long list. This is about you; this is your moment, and deservedly so.
Scribes of the Realms, if you turn your back on this book, because it's 4e Realms or for any other reason, you're missing out on a darned good read (and re-read!) yarn.
Heck, when it comes right down to it, you can enjoy this book whilst pretending it isn't 4e at all, but instead only about ten years ahead of the LAST time you nosed around Waterdeep, whenever in your 3e campaign or fiction reading that was. Or you can read it and enjoy it and not care about when it's set, or even look up and say, "So this is 4e Realms? Okay, fine, if it's all like this book, bring it on!"
I have 80,000 books crammed into my home, and I work in a public library and am board chair of a (different) library system, and have toiled in public libraries for pay for 35 years-plus, now; I have read a LOT of fantasy books. In one recent year I judged the World Fantasy Award, and literally read thousands (yes, no exaggeration: thousands, plural) of fantasy tales published that year. Right now, I'm judging the Sunbursts, Canada's sf and fantasy awards, and reading another year's truckload of works. So I get to read, ah, much fantasy.
And there's never enough GOOD fun "cracking good read" fantasy. For me, this is one such book, so it's a "must-have" for my library. An eternal literary classic? No. A darned good read, that I'm proud to have set in the Realms? YES.
Erik, if *I * owned Wizards and ran the book publishing program, I'd already be hounding you for another book. In hardcover, just as soon as you could get it done. You and Paul Kemp and Jaleigh and one or two others are the bright lights who should be leading the charge onto the general fantasy bestseller lists, not just "oh, that gaming fantasy stuff" subgenre recognition.
I wish, oh Watching Gods above how I wish, that Brian Thomsen hadn't died when he did. SO much stopped with him. You getting a Tor Book fantasy debut was one of those things, and in these current economic hard times for the publishing industry, getting that back on track is going to take some time. I laid some groundwork at Ad Astra this weekend . . . but in the meantime, we all have DOWNSHADOW to enjoy.
Scribes, get out there and enjoy it!

So saith Ed. Who means every word, believe me.
love to all, and (heh, wink) a pull-open-my-gown salute to Erik!
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 31 Mar 2009 02:34:37
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  03:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

Well, Ed (and Erik), I'll certainly keep an eye out for that book. I am not holding my breath though (most of the bookshops local to where I live tend to have Salvatore fairly quickly, but they're very spotty on Realms authors who are not Salvatore - even (especially) you, Ed. )

Here is a website that you must never ever go to, because you'll end up lost for hours and hours and hours... But I'm linking to a page on it anyway, since it has some relevance... TvTropes Forgotten Realms Page... If you ever get some spare time (and you haven't already seen it before), it might be worth a scan. (Authors should pay special attention to some of them! Lets see how many tropes can be averted/inverted/subverted in the next round of novels, hey? )

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  05:42:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Erik, I mean every word of it, and more. My chief personal delight in the published Realms is when I get to read great new stories set in "my" world (now, of course, really "our" world) that I didn't write. I LOVED Downshadow . . .

So saith Ed. Who means every word, believe me.
love to all, and (heh, wink) a pull-open-my-gown salute to Erik!
THO

Wow, just . . . wow.

(Oh, and thanks to Ed too, lady. )

Well, I certainly hope Shadowbane can rise to the challenge.

quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

But I'm linking to a page on it anyway, since it has some relevance... TvTropes Forgotten Realms Page... If you ever get some spare time (and you haven't already seen it before), it might be worth a scan. (Authors should pay special attention to some of them! Lets see how many tropes can be averted/inverted/subverted in the next round of novels, hey? )

That's pretty hilarious, Lady Z.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  05:45:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed, this question comes from something the Lady Hooded One brought up in the "FR Trivia" scroll here at Candlekeep:-
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I'd just like to pipe up here and note that Furjur the Flippant (in Portella's answer, above) is ANOTHER of Ed's unjustly neglected original Realms NPCs.
I'm curious about Furjur. Is there anything more about him that you can share with us?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  15:49:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahhh, Furjur. Where to begin?
Um, ask Ed, and get back this update on my scanty old notes:

Okay, take the character portrayed by Ricky Gervais in the movie STARDUST, for the fast sales-patter speech combined with the brightly optimistic manner ("I can get you one of those!"). Boundless energy, cheerfully dishonest without ever ACTING sly, always with three or four good ideas for turning a profit (perhaps far in the future) being worked on in advance. Put these into the steretypical stage Fagin: filthy hat and long coat, "fingerless mittens"/gloves, fairly thin. Once fat, but now retains only a fattish face and broad shoulders, with folds of loose skin hanging off a now thin and supple, even bony in place, body. Huge nose, broken many times in fights, so is a very battered beak. Always smiling, very bright green eyes, the "fattish" of the face comes from plump cheeks and a very large jaw, and there's a long, wagging "spike tuft" goatee beard JUST on the point of the chin (rest of jaw and cheeks clean-shaven), daggerboard sideburns, and untrimmed, very busy eyebrows. Hair is brown shot through with steel gray.
Furjur CAN'T stop making jokes and smartass remarks; his speech is endlessly peppered with them, even when inappropriate (quips about the deceased at a funeral, for example). For years he was a panderer who provided pretty lasses of particular builds and hair hues to wealthy clients, and was so kindly and fatherly that he was actually beloved by most of the women he worked with (though his days of traveling the Realms with a dozen of them are in his past). Almost twenty of them are now his "de facto" (unmarried) wives, all over the Realms, in taverns and inns and shops he "set them up in" (and they form a network of warm waiting beds, contraband refuges, and message-drops for him). His onetime work as a panderer left him a skilled hairstylist, perfumer, cosmetician, midwife, garment alterer, and applier-of-disguises.
Furjur wears many gaudy rings, most of them set with colored glass rather than gems, but worth a few gp for the gold in them (and he won't hesitate to use them as currency). He wears and bears a few defensive and protective magic items, always has a few potions of healing in steel vials somewhere in his effects or shoved down his boots, and always wears an earring of regeneration. He pretends to know nothing about magic and never to trade in it, so careless and casual foes won't expect him to be harboring any. He also regularly uses at least one magical means of spider climbing, of providing the equivalent of a flashlight (small, aimable beam of light), and of suddenly producing thick, billowing smoke in a small area, to aid him in escaping or "throw off" hostile missile weapon aiming.
Most of Furjur's life story is NDA because it's linked to planned FR projects that may or may not ever happen, so I'll leak it only as such revelations become possible.

So saith Ed. Who is still scrambling to finish something, scribes, but is always interested in imparting more lore.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  16:12:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Awesome stuff, Ed. Thanks.

As it is, I can definitely see Furjur featuring at some point in the next stage of my current Realms campaign.

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  18:57:04  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message
Dear Ed and our Lady the Hooded One.

First I want to give thanks for your reply to my question about sages and seers and their obstruction with laws and rulership. Well thought out and surprising aswell. I loved the hint that most seers get fame (very) early in their youth and struggle to maintain a good track record of correct visions. Made me chuckle. That's a maddening prospect for most leaders in monasteries of Savras, Sehanine and other visionairy dieties, as they would constantly compete with the younger generations of oracles. Visiting a girl or boy oracle must make for some powerful roleplaying scenes.

Another new question goes to the origin of lycanthropy in the Realms. Who devised this curse/blessing first? Does it have a mortal origin or was it a divine curse? Did Selune somehow cause this to happen and somewhere down the road she lost control of the Beast-side of the blessing?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  21:29:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Another new question goes to the origin of lycanthropy in the Realms. Who devised this curse/blessing first? Does it have a mortal origin or was it a divine curse? Did Selune somehow cause this to happen and somewhere down the road she lost control of the Beast-side of the blessing?

That's an interesting question... I've come up with my own tale for the origin of lycanthropy, so I'd really love to see what Ed has to say about it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2009 :  23:56:27  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
I'll third (?) Bladewind and the Hamster-in-Chief's request on lyanthropic lore. while we're at it, though, the origin of vampirism in the Realms would be neat to know, too!

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  00:18:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed has touched on vampirism, briefly, in some of his previous replies, Knight. While your waiting for anything further from the Bearded One on the subject, you might want to review some of those past entries.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  02:19:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Should we throw-in Mummy's and Flesh Golems too?

Just kidding... the Lycanthropy lore would be of great interest to me as well. My own 'Vampire History' is adapted from Marvel - when in doubt, turn to comics.

Thank You for the reply on Greentree Haven Ed, THO.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Apr 2009 03:02:49
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  03:01:23  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
Wow, just . . . wow.

(Oh, and thanks to Ed too, lady. )

Well, I certainly hope Shadowbane can rise to the challenge.

Wow Erik! If I hadn't promised you already to get Downshadow asap, then this praise should be one more good reason!
Gotta solve the logistics... Can't wait to read it!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  07:56:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

I'll third (?) Bladewind and the Hamster-in-Chief's request on lyanthropic lore. while we're at it, though, the origin of vampirism in the Realms would be neat to know, too!

Hamster-in-Chief... That's a new title for me!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  08:29:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Should we throw-in Mummy's and Flesh Golems too?
Well, I kinda like Paul Jaquay's stuff on mummies in the original Lords of Darkness. But I'd be curious to hear Ed's take as well.

Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2009 :  14:26:59  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message
quote:

Thanks in advance!

The vast majority of the lore you seek on the early life of the Simbul will be found in:

The Seven Sisters AD&D 2nd Edition game accessory
The Simbul's Gift, a novel by Lynn Abbey (specifically the prologue).

The Seven Sisters has about three paragraphs which touch upon her early childhood until the time Elminster discovered her in Aglarond several centuries later. The prologue of The Simbul's Gift consists of a few pages written in first-person as if it were an excerpt of a tome that exists in the realms, titled "The Concise Hisory of the Chosen Seven". It slightly expands upon the information on her in The Seven Sisters, specifically the circumstances of her becoming a Chosen of Mystra in the aftermath of a lover's death, and the motivation behind her hatred of the Red Wizards of Thay.

In either case however, the information is sparse. Beyond that, there is a short story about her in Dragon #242 that takes place in the Year of the Roaring Tempest (1016 DR), and the memory of Elminster when he first encountered her appears in Elminster in Hell in the Year of the Burning Steel (1246 DR). In terms of the timeline of the Realms, these are the earliest events of her life to be explored in published stories.

In any event, the vast majority of her deeds, exploits, and adventures are left to the imagination for the time being. There is about a 400 year gap between when she departs Rashemen at the age of 16 and when Elminster discovers her in Aglarond posing as the "apprentice" to Ilione. It is stated in the lore that during this time she wandered the realms in search of magic and then took her curiosity to the farthest reaches of the outer planes in search of answers of her heritage, and that she was approached by Mystra and became her Chosen after a lover had perished (which is expanded further in The Simbul's Gift). Little else however is known at present, other than her travels and adventures during this period elevated her skill with arcane magic well beyond that of her peers among the Chosen and nearly all of her enemies among the Red Wizards of Thay.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  16:09:05  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
At the recent Ad Astra convention, one of the panelists (on a panel I attended that you weren't on) mentioned "Ed's pet peeve with Internet reviewers," but never said what it was.
So...what is this pet peeve, please?

BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  16:12:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. I'm not Ed, obviously, but I'm guessing it was a reviewer castigating a book because the author didn't write the book the reviewer wanted them to.
Example: Ed, you wrote a new Elminster book but it wasn't the "Elminster and The Simbul, A Love Story" book I wanted to read, so therefore the book you DID write is by definition c**p.
Just a guess, but I'll lay serious coin I'm right.
We'll see.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  16:32:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Postscript: not applied just to Ed personally, of course, but whenever a reviewer does this. Ed thinks it's valid crit only when a writer markedly twists the "character" or origins or nature of a character to suit the plot of a new book, in a way that will quite rightly disappoint readers of earlier books.
Yet as I said, Ed's peeve could be something else entirely ...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  16:57:45  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Hamster-in-Chief... That's a new title for me!

Well, I doubt not that all the other hamsters defer to your wise judgment. I was gonna go with 'King Wooly' but 'Hamster-in-Chief' just sounds better... and it uses not one, but 2 hyphens!

Also, Sage thanks for the heads-up in re: Ed's prior commentary on vampirism in the Realms. I've just finished the 2008 thread and am onto 2007 now. I'll get it all eventually!

To The Bearded Creator: You, sir just made me go back on my word to give WoTC not one more red cent with that review of Downshadow; Amazon, here I come.

And to the Her Royal Flirtiness, the never-forgettable THO, a hearty !

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  02:15:35  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message
Well, I don't know how to begin everything that i have to say.
First thing, I'm brazilian.. So english is my second language, than, you could wait many writing mistakes.

But let's begin.

Sir Ed... I couldn't belive that was possible talking, or simply send a message directly to you. Here at Brazil we don't see this kind of treatman from the authors with their readers. I've already contacted with Elaine, Kemp and Lee Byers, that made my heart beat faster.. I've got truly amazed by the possibilites of talking with our idols.. But finding you here... My god... I play RPG since 97, and FR since 98, and like, probably many others have already said, without your work, my whole life and personality could be totally different. Congrats for everything that you have already done, you made a fantastic world that made thousands of fans.

Well, in the last years I started to read FR novels, and got addicted with it. I've already read 42 novels, "Making of a mage" and "Elminster in Hell" are on my already read list, and now I'm starting a campaign to make FR novels more famous here at Brazil, 'cause even having only Icewind Dale trilogy translated, half of the role players can read english. I've already got a message from Richard Lee Byers to us, I wish I could get other messages, from other authors to compilate everything and send to many forums and communitys so we could get more people to read FR books. Obviously, I'm asking to you if you could send this kind of message to help my task of making you world's novels more famous.

My second question, requires an explanation...

Two of my friends that plays on my group are in jail... One of them, Alan Müller, is my DM and my son's godfather... He is, truly, one of the best person that I have already met, but one year ago, he started to work with his brother... His brother had some ilegal casino-machine on my city, and the federal police got them... He started to work with him cause he needed some money, and now, one of my best-friend, that plays with me 'til the beginning, that showed me my first FR novel, and is a ####### fan of you, is passing through his hell...
Since that, tendays ago, we're sending some letters to him, to give strength on this dark moment of his life. I expect that in one month he will get out, but we will continue sending messages to him, and our other friend that worked with him.
So, I asks you, what would Elminster, the Sage of the Realm, would say to enlighten their minds? Probably Alan and Fabiano, our two chaotic-good adventurers, would enjoy his message more than any of ours. It would be an undescritible pleasure.
If there is some problem speaking on the name of Elminster, or one of the Seven Sisters that would be great too, I'm sure that our Sage of THIS "unreal world" (talking about planet earth), Ed Greenwood, could find the right words to give courage to their hearts.

Thanks, and please, I beg you, help me help them.
(My god, I've spent one hour writing this message)

Ed Appel

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  22:55:32  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,
I recently dropped in to a farm co-op to try to buy some tools, and some farmers were gathered talking about buying seeds. Which got me to thinking, and to asking this: in the Realms, is it the norm for farmers/villagers/anyone to harvest "extra" seed for sale, or do they tend to keep it for their own use and to trade with peddlers/caravan merchants (is it that valuable?)? If storing seed for later use, is it usually hidden? How is it guarded against damp, birds, rodents, theft, etc.?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  23:02:46  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Huh. Well, while you were out shopping and overhearing farmers, I was at home doing my taxes - - which got ME to thinking:
Ed, in Cormyr, if a commoner owes taxes but can't pay them, what happens? Is there a grace period? Does the tax collector "run accounts" of outstanding amounts for a certain time, or until what's owed really amounts to enough to equal something (a horse, an ox, a building, land, a wagon) that can be seized? Or are things worth a lot ever seized to be sold to collect a little? Does the Crown keep the rest of the wealth when something's sold, or does it get returned to the person they seized the sold goods from? Can you do labor for the Crown, in lieu of paying? Or be jailed for debts, and be forced to labor as a prisoner? If so, doing what?
Hmmm, seems like the questions are running away with me. So I'll stop now, and be content with whatever you want to say on this topic, whenever you can. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  05:13:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Just re-reading all your early (pre-TSR) FR stuff in Dragon, and I note that the Calender of Harptos was created by Harptos of Kaalinth.

Where is/was Kaalinth?

(and if it's on the current map and I'm just not seeing it, my apologies in advance)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Apr 2009 05:55:41
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  15:46:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Markustay, Ed's incommunicado for yesterday and today, but I recall that Kaalinth doesn't exist any more (so you're not "missing seeing it" on the maps). If I remember rightly, it's "drowned beneath the waves," but where and why I've forgotten.
Ed will elucidate, of course.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Learned Scribe

242 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  15:48:01  Show Profile  Visit Malcolm's Homepage Send Malcolm a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lady THO,
One of my players asked me about The Fall of Stars, and I'm blanking on this. What is it and where is it, please?
Anyone?
Getting old . . .
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  15:51:19  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
I dimly recall Ed discussing an adventure (that I don't think was ever released) with a TSR designer at one of those long-ago GenCons, that featured a mountain gorge crossed by a rickety dwarven or gnomish mining railway - - a trestle with tracks that unpowered ore-cars were pushed along.
My question is: are dwarf or gnome railways, in mines or mountains, a "standard" Realms feature, or rare and unusual? In either case, what can Ed tell us about them?
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  15:53:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm

Dear Ed and Lady THO,
One of my players asked me about The Fall of Stars, and I'm blanking on this. What is it and where is it, please?
Anyone?
Getting old . . .

It's an adventurer's club in Harrowdale. Check out pages 143-8 of Volo's Guide to the Dalelands, which is a free download from the Wizards downloads page.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Apr 2009 15:54:27
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  15:57:29  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
Dear Ed and Lovely Lady THO,
I have a question about something Ed was talking about with some gamers at a recent GenCon (I was listening in; if Wizards wanted to be really brilliant, they'd schedule some "just hang with Ed" events in small rooms and set up the chairs in a circle, so Ed could just "talk Realms" with any of us who want to show up; how about, Wizards? Please?).
Ed was mentioning an incident in a small village where a young girl killed a stirge by hitting it with her yarting (guitar; apparently she was part of a local family of musicians, non-adventurers who played and sang at local events). Ed said it wasn't the blow that killed the beastie, but an electrical discharge caused when SOMETHING broke off the yarting. My question is: what was that something, and why was it so charged with (killing) electricity? Was it magical? Why would a kid be using an instrument that could kill her, and/or was magical?
No rush on this, I was just curious. Every so often I remember this and wonder about, and I finally remembered it whilst I happened to be sitting at a Net-connected computer, so . . .
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000