Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  05:32:29  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
I dunno, THO. I'm sitting on 22 and am at times simultaneously frustrated by lingering boyhoods and overwhelmed by looming manhoods.

There... uh... there aren't any euphemisms there. Just a little crazy these days.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  06:51:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GoCeraf

I dunno, THO. I'm sitting on 22 and am at times simultaneously frustrated by lingering boyhoods and overwhelmed by looming manhoods.

There... uh... there aren't any euphemisms there. Just a little crazy these days.

I'm glad you said there weren't any euphemisms there. It was a disturbing picture, otherwise.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  07:25:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ah, to be twenty again, and have those twenty-some years back to be the scourge of gamers (or to be scourged BY gamers ).
love,
THO
Fear not. I doubt you've lost any of your particular "Edge," my lady. And you do know what they say about older women and experience, right?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  08:08:12  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
The real interesting parts of life start at forty!
Ok, that isn't exactly true, but since that's the part where I am at, it is the most interesting part *now*...
Even then, THO, I am sure most of the gamers at the boards are happy to scourge you whenever you desire.
With or without pegs or pigeons.

And back on topic with a question:
Where in the Dalelands would be the place to find the best cherries*?

Gomez
*) and I do mean the fruit
Go to Top of Page

Raelan
Acolyte

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  10:05:01  Show Profile  Visit Raelan's Homepage Send Raelan a Private Message
Hi, Ed.

I've been wondering a few things regarding the Mad Mage of Undermountain for some time. He's always been a rather enigmatic figure in the Realms, and I'd like to know a bit more, both for my own edification and for the purposes of using some of his ongoing works when running a game.

Would you be willing to offer a conjecture as to what Halaster would've been doing with with his post-Elminster in Hell life had he not died and the Spellplague never happened? What would his goals have been; what type of plots would he have been engaged in; how would his interactions with his apprentices, associates, and people in general have changed; and would he descend into madness once again as a result of the influence of the enchantments of Undermountain? Did he have machinations in motion at the time of his canonical death that you could go into and extrapolate upon as if he hadn't been killed?

Any and all info would be appreciated. :)

"I am convinced that one of these days I will be able to run a regular game that doesn't fall apart due to scheduling conflicts. I am also convinced that, on this day, hell will freeze over."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  14:12:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Ooh, good question, Raelan!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  14:49:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I agree. And it touches on something I've been thinking about since we had that discussion about Halaster and the Spellplague a short while back. But I'm not quite done tinkering with that theory yet, so I'll remain curious about what Ed will say in reply.

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Mar 2009 14:50:35
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  15:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Can't read anything, web page blocked (banned word)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  15:46:15  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Oh goodie...the topic has gone past pages 24 and 25 that both had a banned word so I couldn't get to them. Thank god for high forum traffic

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  18:23:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. A swift Realmslore reply from Ed of the Greenwood to this query, from gomez: "Where in the Dalelands would be the place to find the best cherries*?"
[* = and I do mean the fruit]
Ed replies:

At the market in Highmoon, in Deepingdale (mainly brought up from Sembia).
The Dales tend to be too cold and have too many birds for good crops of good cherries; crabapples serve that local culinary function in most dales. That said, most of the more southerly and easterly dales have abundant wild sour cherries, which get picked and used in tarts and pies and in marinades for meat and poultry dishes (said cherries tend to be small and to get picked green, before the birds want to have at them, by children sent out to do this time-consuming task - - and said cherries get added to lots of other fruits and vegetables for pickling, to yield food in winter to go with the copious venison, rabbit, and onthur (squirrels).
Cherries aren't unknown in the Dales, and are avidly devoured, but they are usually imported, and therefore cost a lot more than wild local fruit that's free for the picking (such as gooseberries, currants, black raspberries, wild strawberries, and the like). BTW, excellent cherry brandy is made just outside Yhaunn and Ordulin, in Sembia, and that gets widely sold throughout the Dales, too.

So saith Ed. Who was pleased by Raelan's question, too, so I suspect we'll see an answer to that ere long.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  18:52:31  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

Ed replies:

crabapples serve that local culinary function in most dales.

onthur (squirrels).

BTW, excellent cherry brandy is made just outside Yhaunn and Ordulin, in Sembia, and that gets widely sold throughout the Dales, too.

This perfectly sums up why Ed is the 'world builder extraordinaire'. We don't just get one piece of lore to a simple and elegant question but FOUR.

Thank you Ed for caring and sharing, best wishes to you and yours.

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  02:38:13  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
On the heels of crazedventurers' compliment, I'd like to ask Ed an additional "world-building" question regarding the migration patterns of a few non-fantastic animals. I'm almost positive there's no NDA barrier to bounce off for this one

1.) With regard to whales, are the migration patterns similar to what is seen off the coast of the Americas (birthing in the warmer southern waters of the Shining Sea then migration towards the northern reaches of the Trackless Sea for food?) How does the migration cycle flow in the Sea of Fallen Stars?

2.) Keeping in mind that Faerun has a LOT more hazards of all sorts than Earth, are there any established and well-known (to humanoids) migrations of animals that humans make note of for reasons other than food ?
The last part is emphasized to exclude the Realmsian cultures that are migratory because they are dependent on one or more types of herd animals for their food/livelihood (Tuigan, Shaaryan, etc.) I'm hoping for Ed's Faerunian counterparts of say, "swallows at San Juan Capistrano" or the monarch butterfly migration. Something that has no major effect on life in the Realms, but would definitely be noticed by certain groups if the migration ceased or shifted.

Thanks Ed and LHO!

Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  04:48:00  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
Another question, if that's all right. I've been looking over Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and was recently wondering how much a room at The Raging Lion would be, as well as a room in (from Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast) The Halfway Inn. Also, how much does it usually cost to winter in Waterdeep for an adventurer? Do you look at the prices for a tenday (highest or lowest) and multiply by three for the month and go from there, or is the cost lower/higher? Thank you from me and my players.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 05 Mar 2009 07:14:42
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  06:09:30  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all. A swift Realmslore reply from Ed of the Greenwood to this query, from gomez: "Where in the Dalelands would be the place to find the best cherries*?"
[* = and I do mean the fruit]
Ed replies:

The Dales tend to be too cold and have too many birds for good crops of good cherries; crabapples serve that local culinary function in most dales. That said, most of the more southerly and easterly dales have abundant wild sour cherries, which get picked and used in tarts and pies and in marinades for meat and poultry dishes (said cherries tend to be small and to get picked green, before the birds want to have at them, by children sent out to do this time-consuming task - - and said cherries get added to lots of other fruits and vegetables for pickling, to yield food in winter to go with the copious venison, rabbit, and onthur (squirrels).
Cherries aren't unknown in the Dales, and are avidly devoured, but they are usually imported, and therefore cost a lot more than wild local fruit that's free for the picking (such as gooseberries, currants, black raspberries, wild strawberries, and the like). BTW, excellent cherry brandy is made just outside Yhaunn and Ordulin, in Sembia, and that gets widely sold throughout the Dales, too.

So saith Ed. Who was pleased by Raelan's question, too, so I suspect we'll see an answer to that ere long.
love to all,
THO

Hmm... sour cherries! during my childhood in the Province of Quebec, we used to go in the woods and find bushes replete with those, sit on a big rock nearby and stuff our mouths full of the stuff for hours on end. It's so tart that your tongue actually swell after a few minutes, and you get to a point where you can't talk... we'd make it back to the village mumbling under our breaths, slurring so much adults would think we'd been drinking!

My mother and her brothers used to do the same as kids, and she actually required emergency surgery after her appendix burst from swallowing to many sour cherry pits as a child... One of her best lines, "It's like someone holding a dagger in your right flank the whole way down to the hospital, and jiggling it around once in a while, just to make sure you remember how stupid you were..."

Ahhhh... memories!
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  06:23:08  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
Wow... thanks to Ed and the Lady! Out of town for a few days, so I'm sorry for not saying so sooner. As Ed has family in my neck of the woods, it goes without saying that should he find himself this far south anytime soon, he has a place to stay (and THO, I'm sure I could find *some* sort of arrangement for you down here, too...).
I'd love to add a question to the pile, but (frankly) I'm too busy reading past years' 'So Saith Ed' replies to make certain that the question I ask hasn't been covered already.
Though, on second thought: I've always been curious about the extent of the empire of the Titans which was destroyed in the creation of the Sea of Fallen Stars.
1)Did these people worship the giant pantheon (Annam, etc) or were they 'above' such mortal concerns?
2)What sort of building did they undertake, if any? What style of architecture did they employ
3)What sort of relations did they have with the 'lesser' giants? and
4)Are there any undersea ruins of their culture? Perhaps known to the Sea Elves?
Thanks in advance, to Ed and to the Lady.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  15:57:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Penknight, I know Ed's reply re. Waterdeep will have to include "it depends." Here's the thing: rents are low, but costs of food and drink (and firewood/coal!) go up as the winter wears on and things get scarcer. So adventurers who "lay in" large food stores and can dine on potatoes and pickled things and smoked meat will be able to live far more cheaply than someone who insists on fresh fruit throughout the cold months . . .
But of course, Ed will answer definitively (soon, I hope).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  16:44:21  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message
Another question for Ed:

What symbols or heraldic devices did the Vyshaan Clan use to identify themselves?

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  17:23:05  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:

Penknight, I know Ed's reply re. Waterdeep will have to include "it depends." Here's the thing: rents are low, but costs of food and drink (and firewood/coal!) go up as the winter wears on and things get scarcer. So adventurers who "lay in" large food stores and can dine on potatoes and pickled things and smoked meat will be able to live far more cheaply than someone who insists on fresh fruit throughout the cold months . . .
But of course, Ed will answer definitively (soon, I hope).
love,
THO

Ok, I'll look forward to hearing his answer, then. And I appreciate your information too, noble lady. Also, have your characters wintered in Waterdeep before, or do you normally choose another city? Just curious on that, I guess.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 05 Mar 2009 17:32:45
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  17:39:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gang Falconhand

Another question for Ed:

What symbols or heraldic devices did the Vyshaan Clan use to identify themselves?

Great Question.

For some reason, a picture of the 'German Eagle' popped-into my head. Don't know why my brain went there...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Mar 2009 17:40:16
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  19:02:44  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Having started to finish re-reading the Cormyr trilogy in the right order, these questions arise:
What happened to the Scepter of Lords? It isn't mentioned after Alavara's death.
WHat was the crown on the Scepter that Rowen said he drained of magic? The description fits the Crown of Iliphar - later the Crown of Faerlthann - but that would be in the hands of the Royal Family, wouldn't it?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  19:45:30  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

Having started to finish re-reading the Cormyr trilogy in the right order, these questions arise:
What happened to the Scepter of Lords? It isn't mentioned after Alavara's death.
What was the crown on the Scepter that Rowen said he drained of magic? The description fits the Crown of Iliphar - later the Crown of Faerlthann - but that would be in the hands of the Royal Family, wouldn't it?
Being the "Cormyr guy," I can answer this one fairly definitively, I think.

The Scepter of Lords was consumed in Alavara's destruction.

Iliphar had a number of circlets and crowns, and while Iliphar's Circlet was bestowed on Faerlthann, that doesn't mean he didn't have one or more similar pieces of headgear. A note: Iliphar's Circlet should not be confused with the Crown of Rhiiman. Both are in the possession of the Obarskyrs, but it's the latter that most Realms fans know, from depictions of Azoun IV.

More about the crowns of Cormyr, I would love to say, but then I wouldn't have any surprises later, now, would I?
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  20:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Thanks a lot!
Which raises many more questions: When the 'Royal Tricrown of Corymr' is mentioned, it refers to Iliphar's Circlet, does it not?
And what is the Crown of Rhiiman? Another, later crown made for King Rhiiman? If so, why make it in the shape of Iliphar's Circlet? Most kings who had a new crown made for their coronation obviously had a fancier one?
And what do the Kings of Cormyr usually wear on their heads? In Court? In Battle? In day-to-day life?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  21:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor
Which raises many more questions: When the 'Royal Tricrown of Corymr' is mentioned, it refers to Iliphar's Circlet, does it not?
No. They're talking about the Crown of Rhiiman.
quote:
And what is the Crown of Rhiiman? Another, later crown made for King Rhiiman? If so, why make it in the shape of Iliphar's Circlet? Most kings who had a new crown made for their coronation obviously had a fancier one?
The Crown of Rhiiman is not entirely in the shape of Iliphar's Circlet. The Crown is the golden piece of headgear seen on Azoun IV's brow on most game supplements and novel covers. See the covers to Crusade, the Cormyr supplement, or Volo's Guide to Cormyr for an appearance of the tricrown.

The Tricrown of Cormyr was created to be a symbol of human rulership in Cormyr, and so--while it adopted the three spired design of Iliphar's Circlet--is decidedly less elven-looking, with harder lines and more sharp edges. Iliphar's Circlet is a smoother, thinner, more elegant piece of metalwork, and is almost never seen by anyone outside the Royal Family.

As for what the kings wear, I'll leave that one to Ed. Needless to say, it varies greatly. ;)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  22:12:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, thank you very much, Garen Thal. Ably answered, and sent to Ed for anything he may want to add re. that last point.
Penknight, characters I have played (and the PC parties they have been members of, at the time) have never wintered over in Waterdeep, no, but (thanks to the huge network of secret and not-so-secret gates [3e "portals"] Ed established all over the Realms) my characters have often VISITED Waterdeep in the winter, and stayed there for as much as two consecutive tendays at a time. It's damp, cold, and expensive, so we seldom stretched our visits longer than absolutely necessary . . . though the seasons are very much the same once you get far enough underground (Skullport is nasty-dangerous all year round, EVERY year )
We have overwintered in Neverwinter (despite the name, it gets winter, all right; damp and wet with rain and sleet and ice, snow melting near the docks and seashore, but deep wet snow in the city neighbourhoods farther inland), Silverymoon, Suzail, Arabel, and the Dales (Shadowdale and once in Battledale's Ghost Holds). Usually we're in the Dales or the woods around them.
By the way, Ed is great at conjuring up the feeling of deep, deadly winter, with "the wolves running" by night, as stars glitter ruthlessly in the clear, cold night air, and all is hushed under thick blankets of white snow . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  22:40:01  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, all!

I have a third edition rules suggestion request for Ed. In order to try to maintain a "Realmsian" feel to my game, I try to enforce a rule that "uncommon," "rare," and "unique" spells are just that, but a player of mine is now playing a sorcerer. This brilliant addition to the plethora of D&D "core characters" can -- as I understand the core rules -- just wish upon a star, or click his heels together, or run around in a circle flapping his arms to imitate his (supposed) draconic ancestors to acquire any spell on the (conveniently conjoined) wizard/sorcerer spell list. Never mind that it may have taken Larloch 600 years to develop a spell, according to the rules, if a sorcerer wants it, and has a slot available to "know" it -- pop! -- its in his head.

The difficulty is that the player wants to "know" a sober-up spell, and the only such spell I know of in the Realms is uncommon (at least). It has been cast once during play in the past three or four years of real time in my game, and the caster menacingly told the only witnesses to the casting that they shouldn't ever discuss the spell unless he chose to teach it to them. (The sorcerer's player wasn't one of the witnesses.) I can, according to the rules, restrict wizards from acquiring rare and unique spells unless they research them independently or someone teaches them the spell, but what is to be done about these hairy kobold-kin who rely upon their feeble and tenuous link to dragons to instantly "know" spells which no dragon has ever learned? Ed, will you put on your DM cap and suggest how I can keep rare spells rare without just eliminating the whole sorcerer class?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  22:55:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Well met, all!

I have a third edition rules suggestion request for Ed. In order to try to maintain a "Realmsian" feel to my game, I try to enforce a rule that "uncommon," "rare," and "unique" spells are just that, but a player of mine is now playing a sorcerer. This brilliant addition to the plethora of D&D "core characters" can -- as I understand the core rules -- just wish upon a star, or click his heels together, or run around in a circle flapping his arms to imitate his (supposed) draconic ancestors to acquire any spell on the (conveniently conjoined) wizard/sorcerer spell list. Never mind that it may have taken Larloch 600 years to develop a spell, according to the rules, if a sorcerer wants it, and has a slot available to "know" it -- pop! -- its in his head.

The difficulty is that the player wants to "know" a sober-up spell, and the only such spell I know of in the Realms is uncommon (at least). It has been cast once during play in the past three or four years of real time in my game, and the caster menacingly told the only witnesses to the casting that they shouldn't ever discuss the spell unless he chose to teach it to them. (The sorcerer's player wasn't one of the witnesses.) I can, according to the rules, restrict wizards from acquiring rare and unique spells unless they research them independently or someone teaches them the spell, but what is to be done about these hairy kobold-kin who rely upon their feeble and tenuous link to dragons to instantly "know" spells which no dragon has ever learned? Ed, will you put on your DM cap and suggest how I can keep rare spells rare without just eliminating the whole sorcerer class?

If it were me, I'd rule that a sorcerer could only get spells automatically if they were common -- those would be the spells the sorcerer has heard of in great enough detail to be able to figure out how to work them. With uncommon spells, it would be more difficult. The sorcerer may have heard of the spell with some (but not all!) of the details, or he might have seen it cast once or twice before. For these spells, he can try to get it automatically, but he has to pass some sort of check (perhaps a spellcraft check, with a DC that's high but not outside of his range). Failing that, he has to research it. With the rare spells, he has to research it, or get phenomenally lucky on a spellcraft check.

I think doing it that way would best keep with the spirit of the rules, but also stick with the spell rarity thing -- which was something I loved from FRA. I wish that was something that they had continued to work with.

I'm reminded of a past user here... This user maintained that a particular PC had an intelligence score so high that he would be able to tell you what Mystra had for breakfast. I argued that having brainpower did not automatically mean that knowledge was in his head, just that his head had the capacity to contain and process it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Mar 2009 22:56:43
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  23:17:24  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
If it were me, I'd rule that a sorcerer could only get spells automatically if they were common

From a rules perspective that makes sense to me.

The Realms DM in me thinks this:
1) Mystra/Azuth have the final say-so over what spells any Art wielder can use regardless of how high or feeble their inteligence/charisma is. They can just cut the caster off from the weave in learning a specific spell as far as I am concerned.

2) Of course in this situation I would gladly let the PC have the 'sober up' spell, they will probably regret it as soon as the wider wizardly world finds out of course, because ahem.... "current clack has it, that the spell that <insert PC character name> cast tonight in the Dripping Dagger is a wizardly varient of remove poison prayer favoured by priests....." (or so the PC thief overhears later that night :)). This way the player is happy they have the spell and you're happy as a DM as you can build a whole series of scenarios around the PC and party as they dodge wizard after wizard turning up for a (ahem) 'copy' of the spell......

Just my thoughts

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 05 Mar 2009 23:18:52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  23:22:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed, you've got an ethereal message coming your way. I would've asked it here, but 'tis likely to be mired deep in NDA territory, so I thought it best to ask it in private. Oh, and you'll likely understand my desire to speak of it privately when you read about the reason for my question.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2009 :  23:33:26  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ed, you've got an ethereal message coming your way. I would've asked it here, but 'tis likely to be mired deep in NDA territory, so I thought it best to ask it in private. Oh, and you'll likely understand my desire to speak of it privately when you read about the reason for my question.

Just a thought Sage.

Next time why not just ask Ed in the e-mail whether the answer is an NDA and not to be repeated on Candlekeep, rather than post the 'it might be an NDA' precursor here? (that way no one needs to know and no one feels left out?)

Just a friendly suggestion

Damian

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2009 :  00:06:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Just a thought Sage.

Next time why not just ask Ed in the e-mail whether the answer is an NDA and not to be repeated on Candlekeep, rather than post the 'it might be an NDA' precursor here? (that way no one needs to know and no one feels left out?)

Just a friendly suggestion

Damian

That's a possibly. But, usually, when I've asked possible NDA questions privately in the past, Ed's usually told me whether or not they are. And if they aren't, I usually include them in the "Questions for Ed Greenwood" compilations that get sent to Candlekeep for download as PDFs later. So you don't always miss out! *wink*

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000