Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2009)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 103

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  08:51:15  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

if a female who has had the flower of her maidenhood plucked is thereafter given a cure light wounds or stronger healing spell, does she revert to being virgo intacta?

Sounds like a Core rules question rather than a Realmsian one (maybe to be directed towards Bruce Cordell?).
The more Realmsian question might be: would anyone really care about a woman being a virgin - in the Realms, that is?
I think if parentage of a person is a true issue, I am sure there are divinatory spells when there is reason for doubt to determine foul play. The question is - again - mostly in which cases people would bother.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  09:52:01  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gang Falconhand

Hi all I've got a question for Ed:

Is it true that ne'er-do-wells in Waterdeep are sometimes transported to Undermountain by the authorities in punishment for their crimes? If so, under what criteria?

it is true, it was stated in most if not all things that dealt with Waterdeep.
transported, or thrown down the yawning portal.

which reminds me.

Does the Yawning Portal still stand in 4e??? and if so who owns it?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Gang Falconhand
Seeker

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  10:06:53  Show Profile  Visit Gang Falconhand's Homepage Send Gang Falconhand a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

quote:
Originally posted by Gang Falconhand

Hi all I've got a question for Ed:

Is it true that ne'er-do-wells in Waterdeep are sometimes transported to Undermountain by the authorities in punishment for their crimes? If so, under what criteria?

it is true, it was stated in most if not all things that dealt with Waterdeep.
transported, or thrown down the yawning portal.

How is it decided who gets thrown down the well? What are the criteria for such treatment?

"If you have a quality let it define you."
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  15:04:07  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Dear Ed,
Apropos of your recent Neverwinter popular businesses answer, could you do the same for Suzail?
I'm looking not so much for "good" businesses (in fact, they don't have to be businesses at all), I'm looking for shops, services, etc. that are popular landmarks for people to meet in Suzail - - even caravan-masters and other visitors who don't know the city well.
I need an outlander to be told by another outlander to "meet me at - -" in Suzail and have the meeting-place be a busy, bustling spot where someone loitering for an hour or more to meet someone WON'T stick out like the proverbial sore thumb to get noticed by guards, Watch patrols, courtiers, War Wizards, or just plain passing citizens. A place that's not the inside of an inn or tavern, and not "just inside the city gates" or "just outside the main Palace gate," either. Are there popular markets? Shops? The proverbial barber shop? "?"
Thanks!
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  18:46:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Brief housekeeping time again.

Red Walker: three Ed novels, one set in Waterdeep (with brief scenes elsewhere), one in Silverymoon (again, some scenes elsewhere), and one in Cormyr and the Dales. Only the first one was completely finished.

Gang Falconhand: yes, it's true. NOT "thrown down" the Yawning Portal, LOWERED down that shaft (it's a killing fall). Criteria to come, from Ed.

Sage: NDAs on planar and herbal info, and "Who knows?" re. why the fiction wasn't used. Many of the people involved in decision-making are either dead or gone from gaming for years, and most of the rest are gone from TSR and now WotC.

Wooly: this "Bible" wouldn't interest you much. It was a brief handout for newbies not even familiar with D&D. In other words, the raw basics (VERY basics) of the Realms. Like a 28-page photobook for young kids about just one Star Wars movie. Now, Ed beefed that up a bit with a complete index to power groups, places, and NPCs in all published-up-until-then FR products, for internal company use . . . but even that is now so dated as to be nigh-useless.

And that's it for me for now. Am expecting more lore from Ed the other end of today.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  19:18:38  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. Brief housekeeping time again....

Red Walker: three Ed novels, one set in Waterdeep (with brief scenes elsewhere), one in Silverymoon (again, some scenes elsewhere), and one in Cormyr and the Dales. Only the first one was completely finished....

And that's it for me for now. Am expecting more lore from Ed the other end of today.
love to all,
THO

Ah, those would all be so well received.....I always wanted to read much more about Silverymoon myself! (And the Dales, Cormyr and Waterdeep!! Too bad they were too fleshed out )

As Always, we appreciate what Ed does, and what you do for Ed!

When did Ed "turn on the lights" of Falconfar? It seems very rich to have been very recent, just curious as to how long the Chef has been cooking it up!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  20:29:34  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Zandilar said:
quote:

See there's a lot of ifs regarding virginity, it's quite interesting. You should do some research on the hymen and how it acts.

Not every woman is born with one (and they come in all types too - from the barely vestigial to completely covering the vagina). It is "designed" to wear away over time, and can tear/rupture (or stretch, because it doesn't always tear/rupture either) for reasons other than having sex with a man (masturbation and strenuous physical activities, even just going to the toilet and straining too hard). I am sure plenty of women in history have been abused and/or killed because they "weren't a virgin" while still really a virgin (having not 'known' a man).

I am waaay behind on my reading of Ed's replies and those of other authors (a couple of days ago I was still on page 84 of "Ed-2008"!), so I don't know where this occurs, but we have had a discussion of what we -- in "our" world -- would call a "side-saddle," and one of the prime reasons for their use in "our" world was to prevent accidentally creating an impression that "a lady" was something other than that. Given the number of women adventurers who are in the Realms, players should not be shocked if "a high character level" woman has "a court physician" suggest that she may be something "other than a lady," if she is inclined to ride horses. (In desert cultures there is considerable effort devoted to camel saddles not creating the same problem, but one may need to specify request for a "side-saddle" in a culture which do not discourage women from riding horses.) Given the considerable space recently given to such questions here and elsewhere, perhaps simple references to the pages and dates of such questions and answers would be helpful if some of the scholars here can contribute those.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  21:04:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thanks for that, THO. You hadn't answered my question entirely (the confusion over 'which came first'), but Faraer answered that portion, so thanks to him as well.

It appears I was looking at the print date of my copy.

I never much cared for Wemics, and always 'felt bad' that there weren't any in 'my Realms'. I had always felt Ed was more about Centaurs - especially after reading the excellent (and now classic) article about Athalanter.

Was this the case? Was it because Centaurs were being featured 'elsewhere' that they were avoided in FR lore for the most part?

Also, I HAVE been here since the beginning... just not HERE. I've been running D&D since the old Chainmail rules, with a photo-copied set, of course.

It took me a very long time to finally give up on my Greyhawk and take a closer look at the Realms (and BOY, am I ever glad I did).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Mar 2009 21:06:42
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  21:49:48  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
(This is boosted directly from the scroll, Are there longhouses in the Realms? where I foolishly asked a question directed to Ed and THO, to wit:)

... Whew! I am in the process of running the Anthony Pryor-written adventure Throne of Deceit and would be really, really, really embarrassed if there wasn't a longhouse at (f'rinstance) Green Hag Hill or if Tharfenhall wasn't "a hall!"

By the way, those unfamiliar with the concept of the Norse-style "hall" could do worse than see the recent cartoo ... er ... "animated feature film version" of Beowulf, or -- better yet -- the "Making of ..." segments of the extended DVD. (DVD? Wasn't that the game that nerdy kids like The Hooded One used to play in high school? Oh ... no ... wait! ... It was that thing from Cliffs Notes: Beowulf ... no ... wait ... that was the "longhouse....")

And, by the way, those of you whose homes tend to lean less towards beat-up old high school textbooks and more towards the 80,000+ book private libraries may want to peek at pages 28 through 38 of the Dorling Kindersley ("DK") Eyewitness Books: Viking volume, written by Susan M. Margeson, a quick perusal of which will spare a DM ("Dungeonmaster") from having to ask a lot of Ruathym- and Rashemen-related questions. It can also provoke some truly bizarre ones, too, as:

THO -- Ed -- are there any "ordinary" domestic farm animals in the Realms (and where?! please?!) like "the Manx Loghtan ram" illustrated on page 37 of Eyewitness Books: Viking, which, for the benefit of those whose libraries run towards the 8,000 or less books variety, looks like -- I'm not making this up, you know -- like what a sheep and two unicorns might look like if Golskyn and Mrelder got hold of a copy of Encyclopaedia Arcana: Crossbreeding. (I swear to Erda ... I'm not making this up, you know!)

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  23:06:17  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
If you mean the "four horns curving forward" look, yes there are, but darned if I can remember right now what they are and where they are. Ed won't have forgotten, though.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  23:07:40  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Also, I HAVE been here since the beginning... just not HERE. I've been running D&D since the old Chainmail rules, with a photo-copied set, of course.

It took me a very long time to finally give up on my Greyhawk and take a closer look at the Realms (and BOY, am I ever glad I did).

DITTO ... except ... "Photo-copied set"? Novice! I have (oops ... had) a real copy which I bought at the Carmel military miniatures shop of Jack Scruby, who, in my opinion, made the best Uruk-Hai miniatures ever. ... Oh ... "Uruk-Hai" ... for the benefit of you real newbies, that's what REALLY BIG ORCS were called between the second edition of (Original) Dungeons and Dragons and the live-action film version of Lord of the Rings. ... I lapse, sometimes.... A few weeks ago I actually used the word "Hobbit" while running a D&D game (3rd edition)! That's how to recognize a real "Original D&D" player!

Which brings me to an Ed-related question (they do ... eventually ... most of the time): "we know" (well, some of us who read the "Ask Ed" archives ... or have good memories ... know) that the Forgotten Realms pre-dates D&D (that's Ed story and he's stuck to it, and I can believe it 'cuz there were these episodes of The Beverly Hillbillies that ... *sigh* ... we (by which I mean someone-other-than-THO-and-Ed really should have an archive of the questions which have prompted all of Ed's answers .... anyway ...) ... we know that the Realms pre-dates D&D, but I can't remember if anyone has ever asked Ed (or if Ed has answered) when he first became aware of this "D&D" game? Ed?

I was in Jack Scruby's shop in Carmel, on a "day trip" out of Los Angeles, where I saw these cool Lord of the Rings (the novels) "military miniatures" which someone kindly explained were for use with "the war game" Chainmail, which had this "Lord of the Rings-type supplement called Dungeons and Dragons" which was my introduction to "Original Edition, Fourth Printing" ... which, at some point in the following years (remember the "had" part) my family decided that, "he never plays with these, anymore, so I guess it's okay to throw them away ..." *sigh* ...) ... so I, like Markus, remember was a game which had unicorns and "the fighting man" and "the elf" and "Ents" ("Ents!" not "treants!") ... and so, I now wonder: Ed, what "races" (which, for those raised in politically-rectified times are what we formerly referred to as "demi-humans" and what are now called -- I think -- "magically-enhanced sentient humanoids") and "monsters" (now called "differently-abled magical creatures," I think) were there in the Realms as you originally conceived them and then as TSR ("Tacictal ..." never mind ... "TSR Hobbies, Inc.") actually received them from you for publication?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  23:29:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Sage: NDAs on planar and herbal info, and "Who knows?" re. why the fiction wasn't used. Many of the people involved in decision-making are either dead or gone from gaming for years, and most of the rest are gone from TSR and now WotC.
Understood.

Now, could Ed possibly add anything re: the ballad/lyrics question I asked in reply to that particular post?
quote:
Wooly: this "Bible" wouldn't interest you much. It was a brief handout for newbies not even familiar with D&D. In other words, the raw basics (VERY basics) of the Realms. Like a 28-page photobook for young kids about just one Star Wars movie. Now, Ed beefed that up a bit with a complete index to power groups, places, and NPCs in all published-up-until-then FR products, for internal company use . . . but even that is now so dated as to be nigh-useless.
Well, I don't know about Wooly, but I'd be thankful for the index!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  23:41:07  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

If you mean the "four horns curving forward" look, yes there are, but darned if I can remember right now what they are and where they are. Ed won't have forgotten, though.
love,
THO

The one in the book has two "straight" horns, making its profile look like an antelope (or unicorn) with two additional forward-curved horns under its ears. THAT is something to which I must expose my players!

(Could you -- pretty please -- ask Ed -- quick-like -- if they're located in Rashemen? I'm running Throne of Deceit this month and it would be waaay kewl to have The Party run across one of these inside a longhouse or some peasant's farmfouse. (I'm talking about "The Party which spent more than a half hour of real time dealing with the 9-points-of-damage crossbow bolt fired by the NPC who had never before seen a pegasus ... like the pegasus which was the mount of the new PC -- the 400+ year old Sun Elf wizard who thought that it would be informative to have it make its initial introduction by flying at The Party directly out of the Sun." Charlie Brown may have said it first, but I may have said it more often: *sigh* ... well, at least they're amused, and that's what really counts to a real DM, ain't it? Please say that it is, because -- whether in Rashemen or somewhere else -- they are going to share a room with a "Manx Loghtan ram" ... a really, really old one....)

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  23:56:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Jamallo Kreen. Yes, the dating of Ed's exposure to D&D has been asked (and answered) many a time down the years, often in magazine or podcast or website interviews.
If I remember it all rightly (Ed will correct if I haven't), we have: Realms begins in 1966, but not called "the Forgotten Realms" and given global scope until 1967. D&D first published in 1974, general distribution to hobby shops 1975 (when Ed discovers it), continues to grow as a rules set and Ed re-encounters it in 1978 and is vastly more impressed then he was the first time (and "shifts" the Realms to match the game in terms of races, monsters, how spells work, et al at that time). So when Ed starts detailing the Realms in DRAGON in 1979, right up through his "world turnovers" to TSR in 1986, the Realms holds all the races of the D&D game (plus Ed's own species and subraces, many of which were later made "official" parts of the game, as you know).
And I know Ed remembers Jack Scruby fondly from sandtable wargaming days...
(Proper Ed reply coming later, of course.)
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 02 Mar 2009 23:58:39
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  01:06:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Given the number of women adventurers who are in the Realms, players should not be shocked if "a high character level" woman has "a court physician" suggest that she may be something "other than a lady," if she is inclined to ride horses. (In desert cultures there is considerable effort devoted to camel saddles not creating the same problem, but one may need to specify request for a "side-saddle" in a culture which do not discourage women from riding horses.)

I'm with gomez and Zandilar on this--as I mentioned in the thread where this topic first popped up, based on the copious amounts of information Ed has imparted to us about Realms culture, it doesn't seem likely that most people in the Realms attach great significance to virginity or necessarily associate it with being "lady-like", "pure", or moral. This is a setting that lacks many of the sexual stigmas the real world has happened to acquire.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 03 Mar 2009 01:08:08
Go to Top of Page

ddporter
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  01:34:08  Show Profile Send ddporter a Private Message
quote:

...D&D first published in 1974, general distribution to hobby shops 1975 (when Ed discovers it), continues to grow as a rules set and Ed re-encounters it in 1978...

Which reminds me of Ed's "First Quest" article in Dragon #218, wherein he describes how a young lady hight September made the game come alive for Ed and his friends. Still the most powerful piece I've read in Dragon's entire run (well, up through 368; I haven't bought DDI).

My question is; which Realms character(s) is/are heavily based on Lady September?
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  03:15:52  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
Greetings.

Hooded Lady would you be kind enough to convey to Ed how much I enjoyed reading all his fine work in The Best of the Realms Book 2. Does he enjoy witting short stories as much as full novels? Is there any chance of seeing more full Ed anthologies?

I also had some questions pertaining to A Slow Day in Skullport. Xuzoun setup a teleport trap for Durnan, how was that possible with all the barrier spells in Undermountain? Did the rules of Undermountain function differently in your home campaign?

Well back to reading the Shadow of the Avatar trilogy.

Oh and thank you both for the tale of the Adventure of the Nude Maiden. The gang at home loved that war story and its nice to see other SF/Fantasy groups have crazy real life misadventure also.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  03:57:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Gelcur, you're very welcome. As for me, I enjoyed taking part in that adventure (as I'm sure you could tell).
Ed is incommunicado just at this moment (it's his late night at the library, plus "put out the garbage and the recycling" night, plus pick up the mail night, plus make dinner when he gets home for self and ailing wife), but I've forwarded your queries to him, and from a months and months-ago e-mail to me re. the short stories, can quote this:

. . .
I LOVE doing these collections, with prefaces to each tale so I can talk lore. I've no idea if future anthologies are in the cards, because (no inside knowledge of Wizards sales here, just the truism you already know from the field) they always sell less than original novels. However, I've got stories upon stories up my sleeve, and can always write more for fun, given a month to noodle away on them, so if the good Books people ever ask, there can be another collection on their desks in a month or so.
What I've always hoped would happen is a fan-generated "we want to see THIS moment in a story" list of requests, so I could write key tales to order and then balance out the collection with more humour or romance or intrigue or whatever is needed to "offset" the tenor of the to-order tales. Must suggest this again, and see if it flies.
Hugs and smoochies,
Ed

So saith Ed.
Who really would love to do a series of short story anthologies . . .
Hmmm . . .
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 03 Mar 2009 03:58:46
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  09:44:18  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
quote:

. . .
I LOVE doing these collections, with prefaces to each tale so I can talk lore. I've no idea if future anthologies are in the cards, because (no inside knowledge of Wizards sales here, just the truism you already know from the field) they always sell less than original novels. However, I've got stories upon stories up my sleeve, and can always write more for fun, given a month to noodle away on them, so if the good Books people ever ask, there can be another collection on their desks in a month or so.
What I've always hoped would happen is a fan-generated "we want to see THIS moment in a story" list of requests, so I could write key tales to order and then balance out the collection with more humour or romance or intrigue or whatever is needed to "offset" the tenor of the to-order tales. Must suggest this again, and see if it flies.
Hugs and smoochies,
Ed

So saith Ed.
Who really would love to do a series of short story anthologies . . .
Hmmm . . .
love to all,
THO

You know, if such a series of fan-requested short stories were made available via subscription to DnD Insider, I would very much consider purchasing a monthly package. Not sure how well it would jive with the "4E's good enough for ye" focus, but it would save a pretty penny on paper and printing (though I'm sure Ed's paycheck would be less too!). Also, I'm unaware how much Ed currently contributes to the online content of Dragon or Dungeon; might there still be room in 4E for "El's Everwinking Eye" or "Pages from the Mages" articles?
Go to Top of Page

Aysen
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  09:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Aysen's Homepage Send Aysen a Private Message
While I'm here, I also have another question to pass on to Ed, LHO:

It's probably NDA, but can you share some lore with us regarding the once-living (and still existing) members of the Grand Cabal of Illusk? Specifically, whom did Laeral confront in the Hosttower that forced her to seal and ward it? Were these the same "Old Ones" that Arkleem Greeth treated with before becoming Archmage Arcane? And coming from a different angle, did any of these Old Ones have contact or membership with the Twisted Rune?

Thank you Ed and LHO!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  15:42:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hooboy, Aysen: your Grand Cabal questions have all bounced off tall, shiny, heavily-overlapping NDAs! (Which should give you a bit of a hint about what certain writers and designers think is "unfinished business" they hope to get around to finishing, but isn't, I'd guess, much consolation to you.
So, sorry, but Ed can't (right now, at least) answer any of these. They'll be put in that special lined pigeonhole above his desk, awaiting the day when he can say more . . . though that day may well be years off . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  15:57:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
. . . And Ed comes through again!
Jamallo Kreen, hearken ye to these words of Ed:

The korontaun, or "mountain korrun," are shaggy-coated sheep whose mature males have four forward-pointing horns (two longer central ones, and one on either side of the head that curve forward to flank the central spires). Native to the Giantspire, Icerim, and Sunrise Mountains, where they typically keep to high cliff faces (formerly they populated alpine valleys, but increasing orc populations made tarrying in such terrain deadly), the korauntaun have been domesticated in recent decades; certain Nars "run with them" across Narfell, and they have become farm animals (for their wool, milk [from which the amber-hued, sharp, crumbly "hearthfire" cheese is derived], and meat, not to mention their use as defenders of mixed-beast farm herds against wolves, coyotes, leucrotta, and other predators; korontaun rams calmly regard all animals they dwell with as "theirs," and worthy of their protection) in Rashemen, Thesk, and increasingly in the Great Dale. Some traders have captured korontaun and established domesticated herds in Murghom, but these are struggling in the climate, falling prey to a variety of afflictions and diseases, and not faring well.
Korontaun cheese and increasingly, smoked and hung sides of korontaun meat, is now beginning to reach Impiltur and is being adopted as a "table staple" in the few locales where it can be bought. If properly treated, korontaun meat travels well, keeping for long periods and harboring a pleasant "smoky" falvour; it may well soon become popular all along the trading-routes, throughout Faerūn.

So saith Ed. So, go for it, Jamallo Kreen! An eveneing with a ram for your player characters - - now THERE'S a perilous adventure!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  17:35:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:

DITTO ... except ... "Photo-copied set"?
My first 'real' introduction came through a 'friend' - a grown man who was getting together a group of young boys to play games with - and something like this could NEVER happen today, because people are FAR MORE savy (my parents let me sleep over the guys house!)

No... nothing happened to me personally... but thats another story entirely. My point is that the guy had photo-copied the rules (at work) for D&D back then and gave everyone a free copy (thats called a 'lure', ladies and gentleman). Anyhow, as soon as I discovered an LGS - which were mostly dedicated to miniatures-gaming back then - I got myself a real copy (of the Basic set by that time).

YEARS later, my brother-in-law and his friends - who I don't remember all that fondly - 'forced' me to run FR for them, because it was the 'New Shiney' then (around 1990), and I couldn't convince them to play in Greyhawk. However, I used all my old GH modules IN FR... and they never new the difference. Ergo, I was a 'fake FR DM' for years.

quote:

(Could you -- pretty please -- ask Ed -- quick-like -- if they're located in Rashemen? <snip>
Not to be negative or anything, buuuut...

Why do people still feel the need to keep their games 'perfectly canon'?

You know what exists in YOUR Realms? Whatever you want there. That being said, I wouldn't mind a few more 'Realmsian Beasties' added to my list - I've gotten in the habit of writing down each Realms-specific critter I find (not monsters - just normal animals), and I really love the way Ed liberally sprinkled them into the Ecologies modules.

quote:
Originally posted by ddporter

Which reminds me of Ed's "First Quest" article in Dragon #218, wherein he describes how a young lady hight September made the game come alive for Ed and his friends. Still the most powerful piece I've read in Dragon's entire run (well, up through 368; I haven't bought DDI).
Ed wrote THAT?!

I should have known... just thinking about it gets me 'misty'.

quote:
Originally posted by Aysen

You know, if such a series of fan-requested short stories were made available via subscription to DnD Insider, I would very much consider purchasing a monthly package.
Ditto.

Sans the 'fans request', of course. I haven't really come-across anything written by Ed that wasn't intersting. In fact, if I find an area intersting, its usually because of him in the first place!

Over at WotC, it was brought-up that if the company included the LFR material on the DDi, it would probably generate quite a lot more business for them (plenty of people want the lore, but they want nothing to do with the RPGA). I had even commented (to RB) that even I would consider paying for it at that point.

Having Ed short-stories every once-in-awhile on top of that would make it a 'must-have'.

And YES, MORE anthologies!!! Not just by Ed, but by everyone! the stories are 'smaller', and give us valuable 'windows' into unique persons and places all over the Realms.

quote:

Hooboy, Aysen: your Grand Cabal questions have all bounced off tall, shiny, heavily-overlapping NDAs!
Mithril-clad Adamantite NDAs with Everbrite and Vorpal High-Magic enchantments.

And this post begs the question... is 'pigeon' Ed's pet name for you, lady THO?

And thanks for the 'ramming'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Mar 2009 17:39:19
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  17:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message
Oh, another question I forgot:
In Alaundo's prophecy about Cormyr, it said it would be doomed unless 'those who sleep' would rise. Now, this was taken to mean the Lords Who Sleep. But it wasn't them, as they were destroyed. So who was it? Iliphar and the elves who allowed Rowen to take the Scepter?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  17:43:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Well, the enchanted cavern they were in still exists...

And Alusair 'disappeared' into the north at some point in the past...

Also, I believe there was also some sort of 'Arthurian' prophesy that Azoun would 'come again' if his country ever needed him, but that might just be wishful thinking on the part of the peasants (or be a reference to his decendents).

Just my two cents.

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I'm with gomez and Zandilar on this--as I mentioned in the thread where this topic first popped up, based on the copious amounts of information Ed has imparted to us about Realms culture, it doesn't seem likely that most people in the Realms attach great significance to virginity or necessarily associate it with being "lady-like", "pure", or moral. This is a setting that lacks many of the sexual stigmas the real world has happened to acquire.

Even in RW, this is a fairly recent concept. No one looked twice when girls as you as 11 or 12 were getting married and having children at 13 (which is probably how young you had to go to find yourself one of those mythical 'virgins').

'Immaculate Conception' has only been around since 1854 (declared by Pope Pius IX) - and a lot of our 'Puritan' thinking stems from that.

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Mar 2009 18:36:22
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2009 :  21:10:35  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aysen

You know, if such a series of fan-requested short stories were made available via subscription to DnD Insider, I would very much consider purchasing a monthly package.

I would still much rather have them published as a book. It makes me happy every time I pick up one of my old Realms of____ books. I love those things. I'm still much more of a book reader than an online RPGer, so that's just my two cents.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  00:11:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

'Immaculate Conception' has only been around since 1854 (declared by Pope Pius IX) - and a lot of our 'Puritan' thinking stems from that.

This is off-topic, but I'd like to point out the Catholic doctrine of the Immaculate Conception refers to Mary being conceived without Original Sin, not to Jesus being conceived within a virgin.*

You are correct to say that it's a relatively recent doctrine, though. Anyway, I could chat with you and everyone else for much longer about all this but I'm trying hard not to cross the line to much with regular "chatter."

*Please note, all, that I'm not saying I believe in this or that anyone else should, it's just that this is a topic I'm happen to know a little about, and I wanted to share what I know.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 04 Mar 2009 00:21:16
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  01:03:36  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message
quote:

Hooboy, Aysen: your Grand Cabal questions have all bounced off tall, shiny, heavily-overlapping NDAs! (Which should give you a bit of a hint about what certain writers and designers think is "unfinished business" they hope to get around to finishing, but isn't, I'd guess, much consolation to you.
So, sorry, but Ed can't (right now, at least) answer any of these. They'll be put in that special lined pigeonhole above his desk, awaiting the day when he can say more . . . though that day may well be years off . . .
love,
THO

No surprise there... but the only way I see these stories being told is if the "new Realms" fails catastrophically in comparison to the "classic Realms", and I haven't been able to find any numbers to confirm or deny this. I just hope that someone who can do something about it realizes that What Came Before was greater than What Comes After. As to "Before" and "After" what, opinions differ; some say the Spellplague, some say the return of the Archwizards, some say the Time of Troubles. Maybe we just need a DC comic book series: Crisis on Infinite Torils...

Oh... and the Realms since the Time of Troubles has become a haven for NDAs of a different sort... the Nearly Daily Apocalypse. Just another reason why we need to do away with all sorts of NDAs... Enough said on this matter by me.

Anyway, I'm also interested in the Grand Cabal, so hopefully this tale can be told sooner rather than later...

I've been very patient (largely as a consequence of finding things other than the Internet to keep me busy), but I'd love to know if there has been any progress on the release of the Cormyr Lineage. I think that every other question I have for Ed either has been asked already and is either answered or awaiting reply, or will impact directly on the chest of one of those aforementioned Adamantine NDA Golems. If I were living anywhere near Ontario, I would apply to be Ed's Lhaeo; I even have royal ancestry, albeit far distant and quite diluted, but a great many of us can say that. Sadly, I'm in the Upper Fraser Valley near the West Coast, and the commute is a bit much... unless I win the next big lottery jackpot. The best job I ever had was as research assistant to myself in university; sadly, the pay was lousy.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 04 Mar 2009 01:18:12
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  02:03:11  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Is Nesherrlageth, queen of medusas a creature in faerun known to Ed?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2009 :  03:56:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahem:
"And this post begs the question... is 'pigeon' Ed's pet name for you, lady THO?"
Snort.
Markustay, dear, you say such NICE things to warm this aging lady's . . . heart.
Ah, to be twenty again, and have those twenty-some years back to be the scourge of gamers (or to be scourged BY gamers ).
So go ahead: ruffle my plumage.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 04 Mar 2009 18:13:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 103 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000