Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Heads of the Faith
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  00:22:19  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a church related question, if that's all right. I was wondering about the three major clerics of Torm, Tyr, and Ilmater and where the heads of the faith are located. I think I recall reading something about an Ilmatri cathedral somewhere in some mountains, but that was a long time back. Also, have any of them been given a small entry anywhere? Like their name and basic cleric level? Thank you for your time, and Happy Holidays to you all.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  01:15:41  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-This is the kind of stuff that I wish was explored in more detail, that unfortunately, wasn't.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  03:23:24  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

I think I recall reading something about an Ilmatri cathedral somewhere in some mountains, but that was a long time back.

Are you thinking of the Monastery of the Yellow Rose? It is located in the Earthspur Mts of Damara.

The following is what I was able to dig out of a quick perusal of F&A and F&P:

The church of Ilmater is organized around important centers of worship--temples or monasteries. These provide the hierarchy of organization within their sphere of influence. There are many such centers with no single organization that controls them all.

Barriltar Bhandraddon is Torm's "pontiff" in Faerun. He rules from the Temple of Torm's Coming in Tantras. The church has a rigid hierarchy based on seniority and service.

The church of Tyr does not have a single organizational hierarchy. Its two most prestigious centers of worship are the Fortress Faithful in Tethyr, and the House of Tyr's Hand in Thesk.

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  03:27:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might also want to read through the entries for Torm, Tyr, and Ilmater in Faiths & Avatars, as it does briefly detail the hierarchical structures for each church.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  04:21:34  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You might also want to read through the entries for Torm, Tyr, and Ilmater in Faiths & Avatars, as it does briefly detail the hierarchical structures for each church.

-For some deities (the aforementioned ones, it most certainly is, due to the structure of their church), the information in "2e divine trilogy of sourcebooks" is useful, but, for others, it is not, because of the way that their churches operate, lacking a central authority.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  05:30:50  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...And don't be afraid of venturing into the world of imagination if you need to create a name and a persona on the fly. If you later discover that the head of the church of Tyr's name is actually Gleven Sethchvich and you've been calling him Lord Moeerth, you can always point out that many personas in the Realms take many different aliases from kingdom to kingdom.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  06:29:24  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-For some deities (the aforementioned ones, it most certainly is, due to the structure of their church), the information in "2e divine trilogy of sourcebooks" is useful, but, for others, it is not, because of the way that their churches operate, lacking a central authority.

Ilmater and Tyr both fall into that category as well. Of the Triad, only Torm has a High Cleric who governs the entire church. See my above reply.

It might be possible to track down the clerics of Tyr who are in charge of the leading temples in Thesk and Tethyr. I've tried finding out more about Fortress Faithful in Tethyr, and can't come up with anything other than its map location in LOI.

While searching the forum, though, I found a post from Steven Schend that talks about the ten cloisters of Ilmater established in Tethyr over the past 400 yrs.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3802&whichpage=9

Scroll down about halfway. I couldn't figure out how to link to the post itself. That might be worth checking out.

I also discovered that Bhandraddon, the High Cleric of Torm, is nineteenth level. (See FRA.)

--
Erskine Fincher
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  11:37:09  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

Ilmater and Tyr both fall into that category as well. Of the Triad, only Torm has a High Cleric who governs the entire church. See my above reply.

It might be possible to track down the clerics of Tyr who are in charge of the leading temples in Thesk and Tethyr. I've tried finding out more about Fortress Faithful in Tethyr, and can't come up with anything other than its map location in LOI.

While searching the forum, though, I found a post from Steven Schend that talks about the ten cloisters of Ilmater established in Tethyr over the past 400 yrs.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3802&whichpage=9

Scroll down about halfway. I couldn't figure out how to link to the post itself. That might be worth checking out.

I also discovered that Bhandraddon, the High Cleric of Torm, is nineteenth level. (See FRA.)

Awesome, and thank you everyone. If you guys happen to find out more stuff on this for me, please let me know. I'm sure my players will thank you.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  04:58:29  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Awesome, and thank you everyone. If you guys happen to find out more stuff on this for me, please let me know. I'm sure my players will thank you.

Here's a snippet I came across in The City of Ravens Bluff that gives you a tad more info on Bhandraddon and the Temple of Torm's Coming:

"Given Torm's spectacular defense of Tantras, it's not surprising that the Tormite faith still dominates the rebuilt city. The Temple of Torm's Coming is overseen by High Priest Barriltar Bhandraddon (LG hm P19), with the assistance of no less than forty-nine underpriests and priestesses. Torm's influence is so great that Bhandraddon holds a seat on the High Council of local merchant families that govern the city." (p. 156)

--
Erskine Fincher

Edited by - ErskineF on 30 Dec 2008 05:00:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000